[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5080: mysql_connect(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5106: mysql_query(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5106: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5107: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given
Examples of progress throughout history? - CAA: Christian Anime Alliance

Examples of progress throughout history?

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Examples of progress throughout history?

Postby teen4truth » Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:00 am

I'm doing Lincoln Douglas value debate this year, and my value is progress, so I need either:

examples of when democracy was overvalued and progress was harmed,

or

examples of when democracy was valued and progress was made/upheld.

And if it helps, here is the resolution (we either debate in agreement with it as positive or against it as negative):

The United States government overvalues democracy.

You don't have to know the details of debate or give me detailed examples, I just need some ideas to research.

Please and thank you!
What's up? I'm an archaeologist, traveler, and Trekky.
I blog about my adventures as a traveler here:
http://unsettledvoyage.blogspot.com
I blog about my adventures as an alien hunting cowgirl in a parallel universe here:
http://alternatevoyage.blogspot.com
teen4truth

Postby Technomancer » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:29 pm

That's rather a set of loaded questions don't you think? One must be clear what one thinks 'progress' to be as well as what constitutes 'undervaluing' vs. 'overvaluing democracy'? One expects the specific examples of each to be pretty contentious as well.

For example, your central question:

probably ought to be clarified more. Do you mean this in terms of how it carries out its foreign or domestic policies? Does one include American political culture as well? Are we to restrict this question to a specific administration, or across administrations irrespective of their differing practical and idealogical goals?
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:49 am

teen4truth wrote:I'm doing Lincoln Douglas value debate this year, and my value is progress, so I need either:

examples of when democracy was overvalued and progress was harmed,

or

examples of when democracy was valued and progress was made/upheld.

And if it helps, here is the resolution (we either debate in agreement with it as positive or against it as negative):

You don't have to know the details of debate or give me detailed examples, I just need some ideas to research.

Please and thank you!

Oho! Another NCFCA person, are we? Well, I just so happen to have had five years competing in the league, with three of them in LD value competition. This year, I'm too old to compete, so I'm an LD and speech coach. Some of my friends are debating this same resolution [including a dear friend who just so happens to be last year's LD champion.]

You'll need to start by defining democracy. After all, there are differing views concerning what democracy is. Is it majority rule? Free elections? A style of government like the U.S.'? That's where you need to start. Some advice: majority rule is probably not your best bet, especially if you're trying to support it. Pure majority rule is pretty flawed.

I would recommend this NCFCA forum , as there are many debaters working through these same issues who are discussing the resolution there. It is run with Christians in mind, so it is quite safe.

If you have any other questions about LD, do send me a PM.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby teen4truth » Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:44 pm

Thanks, guys!

I would specify more on the resolution, but that is all they give us lol...they leave the rest up to us. We're like supposed to define U.S. government, overvalues, and democracy.

I was really just wanting some general ideas of any kind of progress, and was going to go from there...I don't want to define too many things before I get my support together, because I don't want to have to narrow my research to only things that fit my definitions.
I blog about my adventures as an alien hunting cowgirl in a parallel universe here:
teen4truth

Postby Mithrandir » Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:51 pm

Wow. I would have put money on not getting so great a response. :lol:

I *love* this place. :thumb:
Mithrandir

Postby teen4truth » Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:34 pm

Whose response what? *confused*
teen4truth

Return to Tutorials