[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5080: mysql_connect(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5106: mysql_query(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5106: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5107: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given
Rosetta Stone - CAA: Christian Anime Alliance

Rosetta Stone

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Rosetta Stone

Postby RedMage » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:18 pm

Has anybody here used any of the language courses by Rosetta Stone? (http://www.rosettastone.com) I'm considering their Japanese or Hebrew programs. Also, can anyone comment on how the online subscription version of their courses compares to the full packages with books and stuff? Thanks.
"Intercession is the homework of the Kingdom."
RedMage

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:06 pm

Don't. I've used the Rosetta Stone Japanese program and it will bring you more frustration than it's worth. Japanese is too different from English to be figured out via trial-and-error. My goodness, it irritated me. You're better off [IMO] with a curriculum that explains the language. Someone fluent in the language is a definite plus, but that's going to be difficult for Japanese and Hebrew.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby RedMage » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:47 pm

Raiden no Kishi wrote:Don't. I've used the Rosetta Stone Japanese program and it will bring you more frustration than it's worth. Japanese is too different from English to be figured out via trial-and-error. My goodness, it irritated me. You're better off [IMO] with a curriculum that explains the language. Someone fluent in the language is a definite plus, but that's going to be difficult for Japanese and Hebrew.

.rai//

Uh, I was actually leaning toward Hebrew.
"Intercession is the homework of the Kingdom."
RedMage

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:07 pm

Okay, but still, the curriculum is flawed in its teaching method. That was the main point I was trying to make.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby dyzzispell » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:44 pm

Really? I bought the Japanese program and I love it! Yes, I have to supplement it for other things like grammar and writing and stuff, but it helped me memorize things very quickly, and I learned quite a bit in the time I was using it. I only stopped because I haven't had the time to work with it lately.
But I am glad I bought the program instead of using it online. Because I probably would've double-over paid for the program in the time I'd be having a subscription anyway. This way I can go back to it whenever I want and never pay any more for it. (Unless they come out with a Level 3 course.)

Just my opinion. I had a lot of fun with it.
In Christ,
Dyzzi

Also on Smackjeeves
"Work In Progress" Facebook Fan Page
My DeviantART

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men..." - Colossians 3:23 NIV
dyzzispell

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:25 am

It's a decent program for vocabulary learning. But I would not recommend it as a main language course, and especially not for it's price.
Azier the Swordsman

Return to Tutorials