Applying Avatars

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Applying Avatars

Postby Fionn Fael » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:38 pm

Almost every avatar I try to apply is rejected because it "the file is too large". Apparently they have too many bytes, but I don't understand why. How can I make them have less bytes? The avatar I have at the moment was too large, so I just edited it, turning it black and white, then negative. I added the text myself, as well. The problem is, most of the avatars I have won't look good this way, or just won't show up well. Besides this or making the image smaller, is there anything I can do?
Formerly known as haru_bay_nay

Avatar by: tinamakesicons(LiveJournal.com)

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." -Matthew 11:28

"Even when our eyes are closed, there's a whole world out there that lives outside ourselves and our dreams." --Edward Elric, Fullmetal Alchemist

“To put alcohol in the human is like putting sand in the bearing of an engine." --Thomas Edison

[color="RoyalBlue"][font="Trebuchet MS"]The simplest way that I can understand therapy is that we're born a certain way, we're taught to be something different, and we spend our whole lives trying to unravel it and ultimately align ourselves with who we really are. Life, experiences, traumas -- whatever -- they all add up to make you some altered version of what you are. So there's this battle that goes on between what you are and what you become, and it's been very important for me to unravel what I was taught to be or what I became. and to draw a direct parallel to music -- the closer I get back to being who I really am, the stronger the music gets..." --Billy Corgan (Smashing Pumpkins frontman)[/font][/color]

Adopted by KhakiBlueSocks!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Fionn Fael

Postby Jasdero » Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:21 pm

You could reduce the quality a bit when you save it... Or save it in a different format.
× s h i n i e s , y e s ? ×

does it not burn... LIKE THE SUN?!
Jasdero

Postby Photosoph » Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:09 pm

Saving it as a .gif as opposed to a JPEG will help reduce the file size; though of course you'll lose quite a lot of quality. ^_^" But maybe a .png would work better. See how it goes.
(0)>
((_\//
mm

[Quote=Photosoph]Well, t'was a good deduction, Mr. Holmes! *salutes Mr. Myoti Sherlock Homes* [/QUOTE]
Myoti wrote:Elementary, my dear Watsoph. XD

\(^_^)/
Still in rest and recovery mode. Posting may be sporadic at times. :pinned:
Photosoph

Location: Kiwiland... fighting for mankind in the battle of human vs. sheep.

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:11 pm

A normal GIF looks better than a low quality JPEG though- at least in my experience.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Fionn Fael » Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:35 pm

I figured out that one of my editing programs can compress images so that the quality is kept almost exactly the same, but the bytes it takes up are much less. The avatar I have now is the one I was trying to get to work, so I'm set now! I feel so silly. :sweat: Thanks for the help anyway, everyone!
Formerly known as haru_bay_nay

Avatar by: tinamakesicons(LiveJournal.com)

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." -Matthew 11:28

"Even when our eyes are closed, there's a whole world out there that lives outside ourselves and our dreams." --Edward Elric, Fullmetal Alchemist

“To put alcohol in the human is like putting sand in the bearing of an engine." --Thomas Edison

[color="RoyalBlue"][font="Trebuchet MS"]The simplest way that I can understand therapy is that we're born a certain way, we're taught to be something different, and we spend our whole lives trying to unravel it and ultimately align ourselves with who we really are. Life, experiences, traumas -- whatever -- they all add up to make you some altered version of what you are. So there's this battle that goes on between what you are and what you become, and it's been very important for me to unravel what I was taught to be or what I became. and to draw a direct parallel to music -- the closer I get back to being who I really am, the stronger the music gets..." --Billy Corgan (Smashing Pumpkins frontman)[/font][/color]

Adopted by KhakiBlueSocks!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Fionn Fael

Postby Photosoph » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:09 pm

You're welcome. ^_^ Glad you got your avatar to work.

And I agree, Shao; sometimes a .gif can look better than a really low-quality JPEG.
(0)>
((_\//
mm

[Quote=Photosoph]Well, t'was a good deduction, Mr. Holmes! *salutes Mr. Myoti Sherlock Homes* [/QUOTE]

\(^_^)/
Photosoph

Postby MyrrhLynn » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:09 am

Don't use PNGs unless they don't have any transparency in them. Internet Explorer 6 and below don't support PNGs so the transparency becomes this ugly gray/peach/brown mess that is just nasty to see. Personally I say stick with gif, since usually avatars are so small that any loss in quality compared to jpeg isn't noticiable.

:x:Anti Yaoi Fans :x: Daystar Design :x: MyrrhLynn.NET :x: Need an avatar? Then Click here!

"Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES."
MyrrhLynn

Postby Kaligraphic » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:15 am

For anime-based avatars, the color limitation isn't really noticeable with GIFs, but for more photographic avatars it can be really noticeable.

I'd suggest playing around with the jpeg compression levels for those.
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby Photosoph » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:38 pm

Don't use PNGs unless they don't have any transparency in them. Internet Explorer 6 and below don't support PNGs so the transparency becomes this ugly gray/peach/brown mess that is just nasty to see. Personally I say stick with gif, since usually avatars are so small that any loss in quality compared to jpeg isn't noticiable.

Wow. I didn't know that. Good information to know, so thanks for that. I'll keep that in mind for the future when I'm working with PNGs.
(0)>
((_\//
mm

\(^_^)/
Photosoph

Return to Tutorials