Calculus project. I'm freaking out here.

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Calculus project. I'm freaking out here.

Postby Mangafanatic » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:09 pm

It's ME again! CAA's favorite math inept moderator!

So, I'm doing this calculus project for tommorrow and I'm completely stuck! Please, somebody help me. :(

So, I'm supoosed to find approximations to the regions given below using both LHS and RHS:

1. The area under the curve y=1/[square root off cx] between x=0.1 and x=20. Use n=50 and n=1000.

Now, if any of you are familiar with "derive" from your calculus days, it's a math calculating program released by Texas Instruments. That's what I'm using to do the project.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Technomancer » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:04 pm

Is it imperative that you use the TI calculator? Could you do the integration some other way (eg. Riemann sum, etc), or could you write a simple BASIC program? You can also check your answer by calculating the definite integral of f(x). Hint: remember that d/dx [x^a]=(a)*x^(a-1), where a is not necessarily an integer.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Warrior4Christ » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:05 pm

(I'm not sure if this is too late..)
I'm not quite sure what the problem you have is... do you want help with using the program? (Sorry, I can't help you there, but it seems like all you'd need to do is enter the equation, the endpoints, n, and the LH/mid/RH points.) Or do you need help in understanding how they're calculated manually?
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Return to Tutorials