[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5080: mysql_connect(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5106: mysql_query(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5106: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5107: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given
Paths in Photoshop CS? - CAA: Christian Anime Alliance

Paths in Photoshop CS?

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Paths in Photoshop CS?

Postby SaintAya » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:00 pm

Does anyone know how to change an image file into a path on Photoshop? I'm sure it tells me in one of my manuals, but if someone on here knows off hand, it'll save me the trouble of looking.

Aya
:hits_self
"Ah! Good morning to you, Aya. It’s nice to see you’re still among us. We’d feared you may have departed sometime in the night."- Cadel
"Well, if I hadn’t been suffering from head trauma, perhaps I’d have thought of that myself."- Aya
:bang:
SaintAya

Postby Esoteric » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:34 pm

I've heard rumor that Illustrator CS can do this...but I know nothing of Photoshop CS's abilities. Sorry. I still use 7. No can do in 7. I hope someone here knows.
Esoteric

Postby mechana2015 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:12 am

Illustrator CS 2 can do a livetrace and convert pixel based linart to a path, or rather a vector linart. It used to be a whole separate program, but was integrated in CS2. Photoshop can not trace automatically as paths are technically not its main operating mode. (Photoshop is a raster based, not vector based program though CS and CS2 are integrating vector-type solutions better, but still nothing like illustrator.) Being the sadist I am I would actully zoom in to about 500% or so and try to trace with the pen tool, but I don't suggest this for anyone.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby the_lizardqueen » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:38 pm

Illustrator's livetrace is far from perfect though, whenever I've used it in the past it tends to leave a bajillion points and lines whenever you expand the tracing. So editing can be tricky. In which Mechana's approach might be the best, if you have alot of time and superhuman patience (it is often worth it)

Sadly, I have yet to see any tracing features in Photoshop *sigh*

It would be spiffy. But I do seem to remember being able to cut and paste paths from Illustrator into Photoshop. So you could possibly livetrace in Illustrator and then cut and paste the whole mess into Photoshop..hmmm..
[color="lightgreen"]"There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy[/color]
the_lizardqueen

Postby mechana2015 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:39 pm

I tend to not enjoy tracing art unless its pretty simple... my typical drawing is really complicated and time consuming, though it could work better for you.

LQ could you maybe do a live trace and show how convoluted the paths are getting in a screenshot? I'd be interested in seeing how messy it gets, as livetrace is one of the reasons I'm considering upgrading to CS2.

Photoshop will most likely not have a livetrace feature due to the nature of the program as a raster, rather than a vector based program. Even the "vector shapes" created by the pen tool are actually masks and fills.

CS2 now supports a tool called Smart Objects that allows non-destructive copy paste and alteration of images between Illustrator and Photoshop.

Another option is to find a version of a program that Adobe discontinued called "Streamline". Streamline essentially IS livetrace as a separate program. Its a bit old, but is well recieved and might have become a little cheaper since being discontinued... maybe.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby Esoteric » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:04 pm

mechana2015 wrote:Photoshop will most likely not have a livetrace feature due to the nature of the program as a raster, rather than a vector based program. Even the "vector shapes" created by the pen tool are actually masks and fills.

Really? That must be why i can't stand the pen tool in photoshop. For vector it's Illustrator or nothing...but I love being about to paste Illustrator vector images into PS as pixels. That works nicely.
Esoteric

Postby the_lizardqueen » Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:03 pm

mechana2015 wrote:LQ could you maybe do a live trace and show how convoluted the paths are getting in a screenshot? I'd be interested in seeing how messy it gets, as livetrace is one of the reasons I'm considering upgrading to CS2.

Voila! The first one is a sunset photo that I livetraced at a fairly high quality and expanded. The second is just me messing around with my avatar and all the livetrace options ^^;
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
[color="lightgreen"]"There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

the_lizardqueen

Postby SaintAya » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:16 am

Thanks for all your input. I found the information I needed in the online help files of Photoshop CS.
Aya
"Ah! Good morning to you, Aya. It’s nice to see you’re still among us. We’d feared you may have departed sometime in the night."- Cadel
"Well, if I hadn’t been suffering from head trauma, perhaps I’d have thought of that myself."- Aya
SaintAya

Postby mechana2015 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:58 am

Did you find a way to trace in CS automatically?

LQ I was thinking more how a livetrace of a B&W line art but that color trace is crazy, and it seems like there are a few points that could be dropped but, honestly, I've seen the points on an illustration a guy did for a poster, and thats what it looked like. The Avatar traces look interesting, the one on the 4th column, second row seems to be the most accurate trace of the avatar with out the color...

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby the_lizardqueen » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:49 am

mechana2015 wrote:LQ I was thinking more how a livetrace of a B&W line art but that color trace is crazy, and it seems like there are a few points that could be dropped but, honestly, I've seen the points on an illustration a guy did for a poster, and thats what it looked like. The Avatar traces look interesting, the one on the 4th column, second row seems to be the most accurate trace of the avatar with out the color...
Yeah, the colour picture is probably the most extreme case of livetrace gone mad. I do imagine it would work better on refined B&W lineart, although it does tend to behave a little unpredictably at times, as you can probably see with the avatar tracings ^^;

the_lizardqueen

Postby SaintAya » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:27 pm

mechana2015 wrote:Did you find a way to trace in CS automatically?

Um, no, not really. When I'm doing work with CS where I want to duplicate images or whatever, I use the clone stamp. I hated the clone stamp at first, but I'm used to using it now. Really, CS and I have a love/hate relationship, lol. I'm always finding out how to do stuff on there by accident, because I don't have time to read the manuals and such, so I just full around with certain tools until the effects I'm desiring are achieved.
Aya
SaintAya

Return to Tutorials