[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5080: mysql_connect(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5106: mysql_query(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5106: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5107: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given
Problems with Windows Media Player - CAA: Christian Anime Alliance

Problems with Windows Media Player

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Problems with Windows Media Player

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:33 pm

Ok, so I'm on my dad's laptop, and for some reason, his computer (not to mention a number of my friends' computers) will not play video from a data disk in Windows Media Player (there are no other programs availiable). I've had his computer play video before on a data disk in WMP, so why is it suddenly not working? When I try to play the media, I'll see a little message at the bottom of the screen that says "Error Downloading Codec," and I'll be able to hear the video, but not see it. Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated! :)
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Authority3000 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:36 pm

Which version of WMP is it?
Authority3000

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:39 pm

The latest version; it's a relatively new computer.
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby jieshi » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:48 pm

Maybe you need the codec? Go to http://www.free-codecs.com and download the latest codec pack. After downloading one of the packs you should be able to play 99% of video files on the computer
jieshi

Postby Slater » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:37 pm

yeah, a lot of times the location of the codec is embedded in the actual video, and often it is a relative path name. If it's not on the CD where it should be (according to the video's specifications), then it'll try to download and fail. So, if you get the codec installed on your computer, you won't have to worry about it.
Slater

Postby Warrior4Christ » Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:57 am

What type of file is it?
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby Mithrandir » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:10 am

Yeah. If we had access to the file, we might be able to help find an appropriate player and/or codec (short for coder/decoder, btw).
Mithrandir

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:16 am

I'm pretty sure it's an .avi file. Thanks for the free-codec site, though, Jieshi, I'll try to download them next time I'm on his computer. :)

Radical Dreamer

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:58 am

Get a video player called VLC instead. >_> You'll probably never have to download another codec again. *dislikes WMP with a passion -o-;*

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Mithrandir » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:49 pm

ShiroHikari: That's a good point, too. WMP doesn't work very well for most stuff.

RD: The "avi" doesn't accutally mean it's one type of file. There are a LOT of formats that fit inside an AVI file. VLC (what ShiroiHikari said) might make it easier to use the file.
Mithrandir

Postby MorwenLaicoriel » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:36 pm

ShiroiHikari wrote:Get a video player called VLC instead. >_> You'll probably never have to download another codec again. *dislikes WMP with a passion -o-]http://www.videolan.org/vlc/[/url]

That's what I use for avis, too. VLC's free and doesn't take up much space, and it's fairly easy to use, so I recommend it! ^^
MorwenLaicoriel

Return to Tutorials