Japanese Language Help...

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:53 am

Quick question: what is the translation to the word "Hachiyoshou?" Obviously it has the word "eight" in it, but is it basically "group of eight"? I know usually the translation for "group" are aroudn the lines of "tai" or "ban", so what exactly is a "youshou?" (if it even is one word).
神 は、 その 独り 子 を お与え に なった ほど に 世 お愛 された。
独り 子 を 信じる 者 が 一人 も滅 ひない で, 永遠 の 命 お得る ため で ある。

ヨハネ 3:16
Tenshi no Ai

Postby Aka-chan » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:31 pm

I'd need the kanji to really explain that; there are just too many kanji that can be read "you" or "shou." I'm going to guess that you're referring to Harukanaru Toki no Naka da ~Hachiyoushou~ and use those kanji. (If this is not at all what you're looking for, just let me know.)

八 -hachi, eight
葉 -you, leaf, blade, fragment
抄 -selection

To be completely honest, I've not heard this word outside of the anime title, but I'm guessing it means roughly "The group/selection of the eight" with nuances of gathering separate pieces/entities into one team/organization/etc.
Aka-chan

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:35 pm

Yeah it was from Haruka^^ Next time yeah I'll bring a kanji in here because I know how many variations on one word there can be... wasurete^^ But thanks^^ Just something I was curious on...
神 は、 その 独り 子 を お与え に なった ほど に 世 お愛 された。
独り 子 を 信じる 者 が 一人 も滅 ひない で, 永遠 の 命 お得る ため で ある。

ヨハネ 3:16
Tenshi no Ai

Postby Myoti » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:39 pm

I'd need the kanji to really explain that; there are just too many kanji that can be read "you" or "shou."

Thus the reason I actually like kanji now. It really makes things a bit easier to understand when reading (and Romaiji actually looks really wierd to me now o.O ).
Myoti

Postby Shia Kyosuka » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:35 pm

Ok, small problem.

I can speak Japanese fluently, but I lack listening skills.

Does anybody here know a good website or something where I can practice listening and understanding Japanese sentences??

EDIT: Nandemonai.

Youtube is a great place for learning and listening excersizes.

Thanks anyway.
had enough.
Shia Kyosuka

Previous

Return to Tutorials