[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5080: mysql_connect(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5106: mysql_query(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5106: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5107: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given
Physics - CAA: Christian Anime Alliance

Physics

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Physics

Postby Slater » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:32 pm

Hehe... I'm in an advanced Physics class (college level) and I was wondering if there are any Physics buffs in here, cause I've learned that physics is more fun (and easier) with a friend, lol.
Slater

Postby Kaori » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:59 pm

For what it's worth, I enjoy the subject, although I would hardly consider myself a physics buff. I studied physics for three years during high school but haven't taken any classes in it since I started college, so I only remember some of the basic principles. Due to the time lapse, it's unlikely that I would be able to answer any specific questions; however, you're welcome to try if no one who is more qualified appears.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby Cap'n Nick » Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:48 am

I did take AP Physics, but I haven't touched it since. I'd love to brush up on it, though.
Cap'n Nick

Postby Slater » Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:35 am

ha, kewl! good to see that there are at least a few in here!
Slater

Postby Technomancer » Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:02 am

It's been a while since I've had to mechanics/dynamics, although I'm still reaonsably conversant with the material. I know electromagnetics well enough though, especially since I had to relearn Maxwell's equations for a course last semester.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Doubleshadow » Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:04 am

I'm in PHY 202 & 204 and I might get a minor in it depending on when some of the higher level classes are offered.
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Postby Slater » Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:06 pm

oooh, kewl!
what books do you guys study from? I'm using that thick book by Giancoli.
Slater

Postby Syaoran » Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:17 pm

My Physics is a grade 11 leval. but i sill like it. it is fun to do it with a buddy. any how I dont mind to see a college level tho. :grin:
Syaoran

Postby Technomancer » Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:11 pm

frwl wrote:oooh, kewl!
what books do you guys study from? I'm using that thick book by Giancoli.

When I did my 1st year physics classes, we used Serway's "Physics for Scientists and Engineers", as well as Hibbler's "Engineering Mechanics: Statics" book. For my 3rd year electromagnetics class, I used "Electromagnetics with Applications" by Kraus and Fleisch. The last one is a very good text, and I've found it very useful to refer back to both in graduate courses and in a geophysics problem I'm currently working on.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Dante » Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:37 am

I'm a physics major :) at the 300 level. So far hmm... Currently looking at quantum mechanics 2nd edition by David J. Griffiths but have many many many other books...
3rd and 5th editions of Serway and Hawn (spelling not garunteed)
Physics 3rd edition by Richard Wolfson and Jay Pasachoff
Introduction to Electrodynmamics by David J Griffiths
Modern Physics by Jeremy Bernstein, Paul M. Fishbane and Stephen Gasiorowicz
The tutorial (pray you never get this :) (only at ASU))
Calculus books (the most use books in the universe)
more books
Time Travel in Einsteins Universe
more books
Well thats about it, I wish you the best of luck in your studies, it's a rough road.
Dante

Postby Saint Kevin » Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:47 pm

I only took AP physics (calc based). I did mechanics and E&M. I got double 4's, but I don't remember a whole lot. Especially the E&M.
Our lives are but a vapor, let us not let waste our time and breath on vanities, but let us spend ourselves for the Kingdom, seeking a better resurrection.

Preaching the Bad News

My Live Journal
Saint Kevin

Postby Ingemar » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:22 am

I'm taking E&M right now (*is not a physics or engineering major*)

I think CAA should have an "integral sign" smiley.
Job 7:16

I loathe my life; I would not live forever. Let me alone, for my days are but a breath.
Ingemar

Postby Dante » Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:44 pm

The infamous squiggle eh? but what about del operators and you may as well include lemniscate! :)
Dante

Postby Ingemar » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:16 pm

Technomancer wrote:It's been a while since I've had to mechanics/dynamics, although I'm still reaonsably conversant with the material. I know electromagnetics well enough though, especially since I had to relearn Maxwell's equations for a course last semester.

0_0;
Graduate (engineering!) student had to review equations that is first-year material... must be very difficult. I'm expecting Maxwell's equations by the end of the quarter.
Job 7:16

I loathe my life; I would not live forever. Let me alone, for my days are but a breath.
Ingemar

Postby Technomancer » Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:23 am

[quote="Ingemar"]0_0]

I wouldn't worry too much, you should only be getting a simple introduction, the stuff in first year should cover what Maxwell's equations are based on. This means Gauss' and Faraday's Laws and such. The mathematics needed to really appreciate Maxwell's equations are quite a bit more advanced than what you should encounter in a freshman course (e.g. vector calculus, ordinary and partial differential equations, and maybe differential forms). The course I was doing was entitled 'Numerical Methods for Electromagnetics' and mostly covered microwave stuff like waveguides, resonators and the like.

Also keep in mind that my real speciality is digital signal processing and neural networks. I took the course becuase the project that I'm currently working on requires some knowledge of physical acoustics modelling and this was the closest thing. I hadn't had to work with electromagnetic theory since my 4th year microwave course (which was a few years before), so some review was in order.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Return to Tutorials