How to Draw Shoujo

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

How to Draw Shoujo

Postby Hephzibah » Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:32 pm

I have been searching my library's catalogue, and found this book (by Robert Acosta) in it... is the book worth getting out? Has anyone learned anything from this book?
Hephzibah

Postby Mangafanatic » Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:24 pm

I haven't seen this specific book, but I've seen enough of them to give you some general thoughts.

Be prepared for some nude girls. Annoying but inevitable, especially considering the topic.

Personally, I never got much from these kinds of books. I learned more from my manga than I did by most of this step by step stuff.

*Re-reads Talame's post* Wait-- so you could just check it out at your library? You don't have to buy it? Well, if there's no fee on borrowing it, you might as well. The price is right, and you might just get something out of it. If you get as much out of them as I did (a.k.a nothing *sigh*) then there'll be no harm done, right?
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Ashley » Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:48 pm

Well, while I don't know about this book in particular, I do know that I've rented numerous how-to-draw-manga knockoffs books from the library and they were total crap. I didn't learn a thing and got pretty discouraged. The How-to (tm) series however, has been quite helpful. *shrug* As Osaka said, if it's free you can't lose anything from at least trying it.
Ashley

Postby Arnobius » Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:56 pm

There seems to be a lot of books written by American authors that seem to have a superficial understanding of anime and manga, making observations based on probably only a handful of series that they saw.

There's one large series translated from Japanese that seems to have books for many different genres.
Arnobius

Postby Hephzibah » Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:39 pm

Ok :thumb: From what people have said, I might give it a go later on, but for now shall wait (semi-)patiently for the How to Draw Manga books to come in ;)
Hephzibah

Return to Tutorials