Help making a website..?

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Help making a website..?

Postby Uriah » Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:04 pm

I need to buy a website for a manga I plan on doing.

However.. I'm really tight on cash, I might be able to pay for one if I can get a job in a couple months (I turn 16).
So.. Does anyone know of a place that will sell you a nice website with plenty of space for a relitivly cheap price and has a free trial or something?
Uriah

Postby ssj2gohan61 » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:02 pm

http://www.serverplace.net plans start at just 1.95 a month which is really good price...or i can loan you some space for a while until you get your website started and going and all that then you could buy your own server...can i see some previews of your manga?
Love is that feeling you get when a girl looks at you and it feels like your driving a car at high speeds and experience a sudden drop. You know what i mean? That sudden sinking feeling you get in your stomach? Yeah, that's love. Leave's you speechless everytime.
ssj2gohan61

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:04 pm

http://www.100webspace.com

small banner, no ads
free
100 mb space
3 gig bandwidth
limit per file size 500 kb
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Uriah » Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:24 pm

Thank you for your suggestions.

ssjgohan, I wish I had a preview to give you. I'm having someone else write the story, and I have very little material done right now, I have no clue when we'll start making comics.
However, I do have one picture I just finished. This is just a basic concept idea that I have for a character.Not sure if he'll even make it into the comic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Uriah

Postby soul alive » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:39 pm

Uriah, you might consider http://www.keenspace.com, it is a free online comic host. you might check it out. it's specifically geared to comic hosting, and it's FREE! and once you get your project rolling, and want to have a more in-depth site of your own, you can. just a thought.

here is a quote from the site:

"Welcome to Keenspace, an extension of Keenspot.com, where we hope to provide convenient and reliable web access for online comics much like we do for the members of Keenspot.com.
It has been around since June 2000 and now provides hosting for thousands of comic artists around the world. Keenspace artists get web accounts with unlimited webspace and bandwidth, plus access to the "Autokeen" scripts, which are utilities that can handle the updating and archiving of your comics automatically, similar to ones used by Keenspot artists. Keenspace also includes optional benefits, such as providing forums for the artists, as well as newsboxes and banner programs to help cross-promote. How much does it all cost? Exactly zero dollars and zero cents. But you do have to put an ad banner at the tops of your pages. That's it."
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby Jasdero » Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:48 pm

× s h i n i e s , y e s ? ×

does it not burn... LIKE THE SUN?!
Jasdero

Postby Mave » Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:33 am

I can always help you host stuff in my webhosting since I still have like ~950 MB of webspace left.....which would take me forever to fill up with manga pages. :lol: I'll have to create the pages for you since I unfortunately can't use php (but hey, lotsa disk space and bandwidth is what I really wanted anyway). :sweat: Pls PM me if interested.
Mave

Postby Tycho » Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:30 am

If you're interested in php stuff, I can do that in my sleep. I have a simple gallery script set up already on my site. Its a pity its empty so I can't really show it :)
"There are obviously many things which we do not understand, and may never be able to."
[Leela, Ship Operations AI, UESC Marathon]

"Its time to metaphorically make a deal with the devil. And when I say devil, I mean Robot Devil. And when I say metaphorically, I mean "Get your coat""

[Bender, Futurama]
Tycho

Postby Uriah » Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:44 am

I think I may want to buy my own site.

All of your offers for space are rather generous. I would like to design the site myself, and I would like to be able to work the site myself as well.

Tycho: By gallery script do you mean like that setup where you upload comics and have a next, previous, first, and most recent button? That is something I am going to need..
Uriah

Postby Tycho » Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:06 pm

Uriah wrote:
Tycho: By gallery script do you mean like that setup where you upload comics and have a next, previous, first, and most recent button? That is something I am going to need..

Its been a while so I'm going from a bad memory. I know it has uploading and thumbnailing. I don't think it currently has navigation functions other that a grid listing of all thumbnails. However, the beauty of php is its modification capability.

Let me research my own work :sweat: and I'll get back tomorrow. Now time to sleep.
"There are obviously many things which we do not understand, and may never be able to."

"Its time to metaphorically make a deal with the devil. And when I say devil, I mean Robot Devil. And when I say metaphorically, I mean "Get your coat""

[Bender, Futurama]
Tycho

Postby Mave » Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:55 pm

Tycho wrote:If you're interested in php stuff, I can do that in my sleep. I have a simple gallery script set up already on my site. Its a pity its empty so I can't really show it :)

Ah, unfortunately, my problem is more pathetic than it seems: the server itself doesn't support php (since I'm a cheapskate and sacrificed that support in exchange for bandwidth and diskspace :sweat: ).

I'm doing Ok so far BUT if I start surpassing 20+ manga chapters, I'll upgrade my package and then, I'll be bugging you or Oldphil about php. ;) You're generous with your expertise as usual, Tycho, thanks!

Uriah, find a better webhosting plan than mine then. ^__^
Mave

Postby ssj2gohan61 » Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:36 pm

mave are you paying for hosting? if so where are you getting it from and how much are you paying?
Love is that feeling you get when a girl looks at you and it feels like your driving a car at high speeds and experience a sudden drop. You know what i mean? That sudden sinking feeling you get in your stomach? Yeah, that's love. Leave's you speechless everytime.
ssj2gohan61

Postby Tycho » Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:09 am

Here's the host I use.
http://www.hostwerks.com/plan.shtml

It supports all technical things (php, mysql, etc) and has practically no downtime. I know the guys who run it (one is my roommate who goes to church with me) and I know the hosts reliable.

Plus, if you mention me, I get a referral :thumb:

[Bender, Futurama]
Tycho

Postby Mave » Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:51 am

ssj2gohan61 wrote:mave are you paying for hosting? if so where are you getting it from and how much are you paying?

I'm paying about 4.99 per month to 1and1.com. My contract for webhosting is 6 months (since Oct 2004) while the domain name is a year (Aug 2004) so I'm not sure how I would go about with a switch later on. ^_^;;
Mave

Postby Tycho » Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:20 pm

[quote="Mave"]I'm paying about 4.99 per month to 1and1.com. My contract for webhosting is 6 months (since Oct 2004) while the domain name is a year (Aug 2004) so I'm not sure how I would go about with a switch later on. ^_^]

The webspace host will make the necessary DNS changes to redirect the URL. It usually takes no more than a day or two.

[Bender, Futurama]
Tycho

Return to Tutorials