How to draw the Manga/Anime body?

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

How to draw the Manga/Anime body?

Postby The Last Bard » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:36 pm

:?: I like to think I'm a pretty good anime artist, but no, I'm not.
I can draw any kind of head in front, side, left, right, and 3/4 view.
But when it comes to drawing the body, or the head when looking up at it...Or from the back...(Anything I didn't just list :shake: ) I don't have the foggiest idea on how it should look or how I should even start!

Lol, don't even get me started on the body! :stressed: I need help, and I've already been to polykarbon and a lot of other sites.

Thanks a million (In advance) guy! :thumb:
The Last Bard

Postby Jasdero » Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:21 am

o.o Have you tried any "How To Draw Manga" books? There's a series that goes by that very name. Great stuff. :3
× s h i n i e s , y e s ? ×

does it not burn... LIKE THE SUN?!
Jasdero

Postby mechana2015 » Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:36 am

Another thing to do would be to start drawing them looking at the tutorials, or even better, another person, or yourself in the mirror and then use a site like the gallery here or deviant art to get critiques on what you drew, then try again and repeat until you like what you see.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Kireihana » Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:53 pm

Personally I don't really like the How to Draw manga books all that much... they have all these complicated ways of using geometric shapes and whatnot, and to me drawing a bunch of cylinders and spheres stuck together seems like an awful lot of extra work. (What can I say, I'm a very lazy artist ^^) However, this works very well for some people; you just have to determine what kind of person you are.

As for me, I'm more of a look-and-learn artist, where I'd rather have a figure to look at than try to measure out limb lengths and proportions and stuff. I'm more adept at drawing from sight, so I prefer to go at it from a different direction. If you're into the leggy, shoujo-like figure (for women), use a Barbie doll as a model. (My little sister has tons of them). I would also suggest those wooden "dummies" that a lot of artists use, because you can pose them yourself.

And when all else fails, you can always use yourself as a model. I take advantage of my full-length mirror when I'm having trouble with complex body positions or clothing folds. (Of course, it doesn't work if I want to draw someone of the opposite gender XD) But I can use my hands and feet as models for everyone I draw. ^^

I hope that helped a little... I'm not saying stick figures are bad, in fact I DO reccomend at least drawing a basic stick figure so that you won't end up running off the page, or realizing after you've finished that the proportions are wrong.
Kireihana

Postby Kristal*Klear » Sat Nov 20, 2004 5:06 pm

These might help.......Image

Now, you don't want to just look at these figures and go with them alone, you want to think about the outlines for your fav. animators' and actors' illustrations and drawings too.

I have more info.. PM me if you want it. :thumbsup: ;) Good Luck
Image<<<<---I make Sig Pics! Anybody want one? PM ME!

Check out my Story! PLEASE! Dream World Of Non Existance

Anime Signature Pic options... and just cool pics to look at!
Kristal*Klear

Postby Aka-chan » Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:13 am

Ooh, those are nice, handy stick figures, Kristal*Klear! I might use them here and there for the harder poses... (My problem is, if I don't have a simple example, even my preliminary sketches get unreadably complex when I work out an odd angle or highly dynamic pose.)
Aka-chan

Postby harina » Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:00 am

http://www.howtodrawmanga.com/tutorial/tutorial.html
That could help if you draw a female..
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. [Hebr. 11:1]
harina

Postby c.t.,girl » Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:18 am

well when i use to take a class for drawing, they said to make the head first and then draw six more circles that are the same length. that should do. that way you have how long the body will be.
[color="DarkOrange"]"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things... hey... the good things don't always soften the bad things; but vice-versa the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant." -11th Doctor

"The advice I like to give young artists, or really anybody who’ll listen to me, is not to wait around for inspiration. Inspiration is for amateurs; the rest of us just show up and get to work. If you wait around for the clouds to part and a bolt of lightning to strike you in the brain, you are not going to make an awful lot of work. All the best ideas come out of the process; they come out of the work itself. Things occur to you. If you’re sitting around trying to dream up a great art idea, you can sit there a long time before anything happens. But if you just get to work, something will occur to you and something else will occur to you and something else that you reject will push you in another direction. Inspiration is absolutely unnecessary and somehow deceptive. You feel like you need this great idea before you can get down to work, and I find that’s almost never the case." - Chuck Close[/color]
c.t.,girl

Postby Dark_angel » Thu Nov 25, 2004 12:32 pm

Well, I think Kristal*Klear's stick figures are pretty useful. I don't use them very often, though. But it's a great way to start, if you need to do the more difficult poses, or looking from a different point of view. ^^ Oh, and Sunako's right, you should try those book, though some of them are not quite...appropriate. -_-;;
[indent]
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding -provers 9:10

[/indent](Sorting things out, but will be back later.) :angel:
Dark_angel

Return to Tutorials