how can i get cel-shaded effect in ps??

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

how can i get cel-shaded effect in ps??

Postby wolfs_rain_hige » Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:16 pm

im wondering where i can get a tut on how to do cel-shading in ps. i need for a upcoming game project im working on. thnx!!
wolfs_rain_hige

Postby Bobtheduck » Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:40 pm

Cel shading, well "shading" in general is the blanket term to making 3d vectors look solid... Therefore, by nature, it can't be done with either a 2-d vector program (which Photoshop isn't) or a raster program (which is what photoshop is) It is achieved by 3-d vector programs such as 3ds max or Maya, with a flat "shader" applied to the models. Therefore, it's impossible to do in Photoshop... Most professional 3d vector programs come with cel or "toon" shading modules. 3ds max and maya both do. They also cost 3500 and over 6000 respectively... You may want to try the educational 3ds Max for 500 dollars, but the free max program, Gmax, only makes models and has a simple real time shader and it is up to the game what the models end up looking like after it is over with... Really, you have to program that shader (or a similar effect that's feasable in real-time) into the game... Yeah, photoshop can't make it, not even 3ds max can for what you're talking about... That has to be built into the game engine...

Now, Photoshop can be used to "paint" anime cells for traditional animation. That's not, apparently, what you're looking for.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Psycho Ann » Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:24 am

Are you looking for a 2D cel-shading or 3D? Which part of the game are you going to use this for?

If it's for in-game artwork or even 2D cut-scenes then it's pretty easy to do anime-like cels.
-Psalm 27:1-
The Project - Online Christian manga, rambling FAQs, and Truly Random Scripture.
Cognatio- Online Christian Manga Exchange

"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
Psycho Ann

Postby Fsiphskilm » Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:37 pm

well acutally you can pro
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby Bobtheduck » Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:23 pm

Disabling shadows doesn't make it cartoony, just flatter than having shadows... I mean, Final Fantasy X doesn't have shadows... It still looks rather 3d, just not as realistic as games that have dynamic shadows. And, yes, as I had said before, the only want to get the cell shaded effect is to put a cell shader in your game. It has nothing to do with the model to begin with. The shading takes place afterwards. It's the game that does teh shading, not the modeling program.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Fsiphskilm » Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:51 pm

no I mean like
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby wolfs_rain_hige » Sat Oct 23, 2004 6:04 pm

all i need to know is that is how do you do cel shading in photoshop. (the game im working on is half-life so it wont do what your reccomending, sorry volt)
wolfs_rain_hige

Postby LorentzForce » Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:41 pm

HL can do cel-shading, at least fake it. I should know, I've been mapping for it for quite a while. Look for BuzzyBots mod.

In photoshop you can create a similar effect by drawing thick straight lights only for the outline, and using single colours for colouring in. At most 2 colours, one for bright, and one for shade. No smooth shading here, only straight lines.
LorentzForce

Return to Tutorials