Japanese school system

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Japanese school system

Postby MyrrhLynn » Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:08 pm

Ok maybe this isn't the right section to be asking this. Sorry. :(

Ever since I've started watching anime I've been confused by how the Japanese school system works. Can somone who knows more about it explain it please?

The biggest thing that confuses me is how many grades there are in elementary, junior high, and high school, and also the usual age of kids in each grade.

For example Fruits Basket . They're in high school right? But what grade are they in in comparision to the US!?! :dizzy:

:x:Anti Yaoi Fans :x: Daystar Design :x: MyrrhLynn.NET :x: Need an avatar? Then Click here!

"Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES."
MyrrhLynn

Postby Jasdero » Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:16 am

I think Tohru/Yuki/Kyo are in 9th grade at the beginning of Fruits Basket.

Well, here's a little chart thing I've had in my computer for awhile:

Japanese School System:

and another similar one:

If that's not enough, here's some info:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2150.html wrote:When Japan opened herself to the world in 1868, one of the government's high priority was catching up with Western standards in science and education. The Japanese education system was reformed mainly according to the German and French model which experts regarded as most suitable and advantageous.

After the second world war, the Americans reformed the Japanese education system after their own which consists of six years of elementary school, each three years of junior and senior high school and four years of university or two years of junior college.

Compulsory education includes elementary school and junior high school. Over 90% of all students also graduate from high school and over 40% from university or junior college. At universities the percentage of male students is higher than that of female students while the opposite is the case at junior colleges. The number of graduate university students is relatively low.

The Japanese school year starts in April and consists of three terms, separated by short holidays in spring and winter, and a one month long summer break.

A characteristic of the Japanese school system are entrance exams, and with them a high competitiveness among students. Most high schools, universities, as well as a few private junior high schools and elementary schools require applicants to write entrance exams. In order to pass entrance exams to the best institutions, many students attend special preparation schools (juku) besides regular classes, or for one to two years between high school and university (yobiko).

The most prestigious universities are the national University of Tokyo and University of Kyoto, followed by the best private universities.

(cont.)
× s h i n i e s , y e s ? ×

does it not burn... LIKE THE SUN?!
Jasdero

Postby Jasdero » Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:17 am

Heh, apparently, there's a word limit, so, sorry about the double-post, but here's the rest of it:

http://educationjapan.org/jguide/school_system.html wrote:Japanese Schools
Japanese schools up to Junior High School are almost exclusively public (less than 5% are privately owned and run). Until Junior High School, students study at the school in whose catchment area their home is located. However, senior high schools have overlapping catchment areas: this means that there is competition among schools for the best pupils in a particular area, and among pupils for places at the best schools. Over one-quarter of senior high schools are private, indicating the extent of the competition in the higher levels Japanese schooling: parents will pay substantial amounts for their children's educations.

While the general improvement of education and standard of living for the Japanese population as a whole has resulted in some of the highest standards of education in the world, some claim that the attendant stresses have lead to an increase in psychological problems among children (although we are not aware of any published figures to support this). Also, the improved diet of many Japanese, coupled with a reduction in child labour (traditionally assisting relatives on farms or smallholdings in rural areas) and changes in social habits has lead to an increase in obesity amongst Japanese schoolchildren. However, this phenomenon is well-known in most developed countries, not just in Japan, and seems less pronounced than in the West.

For some time it has been accepted that a Japanese student's life is largely decided by the their university entrance exam: that is, entrance to the right university can lead to a well-paid job with one of the larger Japanese companies. However, increasing competition amongst schools means that this pressure is extending further back and many now claim that a person's future is largely decided by the age of twelve or fifteen with entry to the right junior high school. Wht effect the current economic recession and restructuring will have on this system remains to be seen.

Kindergarten (Yochien)
Although optional education, in 2000 the number of new entrants to kindergarten was over 63% of the number of new entrants to Primary or Junior School - indicating that well over half of all Japanese children start their education earlier than required by the state. The Japanese government aims to increase the availability of kindergartens, in part to allow mothers to work if they need or want to. The trend to earlier and earlier education is increasing with special subjects for kindergarten students including English. However, the fact that the number of children graduating from kindergarten and from junior school has declined by one-quarter over the past ten years indicates the scale of the demographic challenge facing Japan in the near future.

Elementary School (Shogakkou)
For six years from age six to twelve, this is the first stage of compulsory education for Japanese children. Almost all Japanese children enter at this stage, although an increasing number have already experienced kindergarten. Uniforms are standard in Japan, so the small children with bright yellow baseball hats, bright yellow umbrellas, bright yellow raincoats, etc. walking in long lines around Japanese towns are all Elementary School children. Regularly seen as a large flock walking in pairs holding hands or smaller clusters trading pokemon cards.

Junior High School (Chugakkou)
From twelve to fifteen years old, this is a hugely important phase in the upbringing of the Japanese child. Results at Junior High School can determine entry to a good Senior High School and hence to a good university and career. At this point children usually stay late at school, busy with various clubs and activities as well as studies at a Juku (see below).

Senior High School (Koukou]
The peak of pressure for the student in the Japanese school system from 15 to 18 years old, entry to senior high school is by an entrance exam. Preparation for the exam itself, of course, is usually through attending a good Juku (see below). To get a place at the best university means that a student really needs to go to the right senior high school, so the entrance exam can have a major impact on the future career of Japanese students. As the number of private schools increases (at present over one-quarter of senior high schools are private) and pressure to perform well increases, education ends up costing parents more and more. This pressure is slowly diffusing down the chain as entry to the best senior high schools is increasingly affected by the junior high school attended. Although not compulsory in Japan, over 90% of all children attend Senior High School.

[B]Part-time Senior High school

In some cases, where students are already working full time, they may attend evening school instead of normal high school. These classes are run in the evening, and instead of the usual three years, it takes four years to complete a senior high school education. Classes usually run until after 9pm or later, so this makes for a busy lifestyle for the working student. Compared to the average senior high school student, students at part-time high school tend to be far more socially mature and attentive students - also perhaps as attending a night school is generally a voluntary action and commitment is needed to complete the program, whereas attending Senior High School is often a matter of parental pressure.

Juku (Cram schools)
The pressure of the education system in Japan is great, and so much of a child's future depends on going to the right school and university that from a very young age (in some cases from before ten years old) a child's school day does not end with the school bell. After the piano or violin lessons, the basketball or football, kendo or judo, archery or English, Maths or Art or any of the dozens of other clubs that are organised at school most children also attend cram schools called "Juku". These have extra lessons, which may be used to push bright students further or to help others catch up to the crowd. The classes may run until late, and a 12-hour day is not unusual for the Japanese high school student (before homework).

While this system has produced one of the most impressive levels of literacy and highest standards education in the world, there are those who now question the impact of such pressure on students from such a young age. There are stories of increasing numbers of young adults and children with stress-related disorders, and tales of children withdrawing from society and school are common in the press and as subject-matter for dramas. The newly reformed Monbukagakusho (formerly the Monbusho), responsible for Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, has placed increased emphasis on the development of the individual in terms of both mental and social development, with an added focus on the education of a rounded individual capable of integrating into society.

Juku are a common feature of Japanese education, and if you are a parent living in Japan can be a useful supplement to ensure that your child catches up to the rest of their class in Japanese language abilities.

Other Schools

There are plenty of other options available, including Senmon Gakkou (special technical or vocational training schools), Junior Colleges, and so on. Senmon Gakkou offer students the chance to combine Senior High School studies with a vocational subject - common ones include motor mechanics, hairdressing, architecture and the like. These are generally four-year courses, and start after Junior High School. Some Senmon Gakkou are highly competitive. Junior colleges offer two year university-style degrees, but leading to the title of "Associate" as opposed to a bachelor's degree. Nearly 90% of students at Junior colleges are female, while only about 40% of university students are female, one of several imbalances in the Japanese education system.

Japanese Teachers
Japanese teachers have either an Advanced, first- or second-class teaching certificate. Teachers are encouraged to work towards higher level qualifications by engaging in ongoing training. On completion of training, teachers in elementary and junior schools with a bachelor's degree are awarded a first-class teaching certificate, and those with a junior college certificate are awarded the second-class certificate. At senior high schools, teachers with a Master's degree are awarded a first-class teaching certificate, and those with a Bachelor's degree the second-class certificate.

After obtaining the teaching certificate, the final hurdle for a teacher at a public school is to pass an examination set by the prefecture to be appointed a teacher. Once this examination has been passed the teacher may work in any school in that prefecture. However, the license is only valid for one year and if they fail to find employment in that one year, they have to take the exam again. If applying for a position at a private school, the school will set their own requirements for employment.

Teaching Methods
Teaching in Japan is sometimes considered rigid and unchanging. Although the curriculum is set by the State to the point where content and time to spend on each subject are clearly laid down, the actual teaching method itself is completely up to individual teachers. However, it is often considered that cultural factors and particularly the teacher training schools encourage standard methods of teaching, reducing the ability of teachers to develop individual methods. This is another area on which the present overhaul of the education system is focusing.

Jasdero

Postby Fsiphskilm » Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:45 am

Karastill your kno
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby Jasdero » Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:57 am

^^ 'Tis Google.

Jasdero

Postby RoyalWing » Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:08 am

Thank you for all that information! (I knew already, but I'm sure MyrrhLynn will like all the details) :)
RoyalWing

Postby MyrrhLynn » Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:12 am

Sunako wrote:^^ 'Tis Google.

Oh wow thank you sooo much! It makes more sense to me now! :) :hug:

:x:Anti Yaoi Fans :x: Daystar Design :x: MyrrhLynn.NET :x: Need an avatar? Then Click here!

"Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES."
MyrrhLynn

Postby Jasdero » Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:19 am

No problemo. : )

Jasdero

Postby shooraijin » Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:16 pm

Yes, that was excellent, Sunako. Thank you!
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Jasdero » Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:57 pm

^('-')^ Glad I (and Google) could be of service. : )

Jasdero

Postby airichan623 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:52 pm

arigato gozaimasu for da info.

[color="Magenta"][SIZE="4"]愛理ちゃん六二三[/SIZE][/color]

DeviantArt[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]MAL[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]Tumblr
airichan623

Postby EricTheFred » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:51 pm

Volt (post: 239269) wrote:Karastill your knowledge amazes us... or at least your google searching skills do :lol:

Looking at the ages It's pretty much the same as the US school system.

One critical difference. High School and Middle School are each three years.

Basically it's Elementary first through sixth grade. Then first through third year Middle School are the equivalent of US seventh, eighth and ninth grades. Then first through third year High School equal tenth, eleventh and twelfth grades. So Tohru Honda and several Souma boys are tenth grade, not ninth.

Education is compulsory up thru ninth grade (Chugakou). High School is not mandatory, but about ninety percent go anyway. For most, tuition is required, although the government does foot the bill for some students. (I think this is mostly by subsidizing schools rather than direct scholarships. The schools themselves hand out scholarships instead.)
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Dante » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:32 pm

The Japanese School System? I made this most excellent article about it several years ago! Now I can hardly read it but... HERE YA GO!

http://www.tensor-industries.com/Japanese_Final.html

Although I must ask... given from how far back this was grave-dug (I mean, even Volt is still on here! VOLT WHO VANISHED TO GO TO FULL-SAIL VOLT AND CHANGED HIS CAA PASSWORD!) Why Arichan?
FKA Pascal
Dante

Return to Tutorials