Hive Mind

This is where all in character roleplaying occurs. Please note that posts in this forum do not count toward your post count, and that old threads are subject to periodic prunination!

Hive Mind

Postby rocklobster » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:20 am

The time: 30 years from now.
The place: Earth
We've finally come in contact with life forms from other planets. The problem: They're already among us. They're parasites called Oxlans. They've managed to create a cult called The Gathering. This cult is made up of humans controlled by the parasites who reside inside them.
Our only hope is a rebellion, led by another alien race who are sworn enemies of the parasites. These aliens arm the humans in the rebellion with advanced technology and have even devised ways to counter the Oxlans' influence in case a member is captured. (theoretically, it hasn't been tested)
Now here's you come in. You can join one of these factions. Remember, if you're in the Gathering, you are controlling two characters--the parasite and the human it is controlling.
Here's your character sheet:
The Gathering
Name:
Parasite's Designation: (this is a letter, followed by a 2-7 digit number)
Personality:
Appearance:
The rebellion
Name:
Personality:
Appearance:
The good aliens (Noblans)
The good aliens are purple-skinned, dragonfly-winged humans. Their technology can create holograms to hide their true nature if needed.
Name: (pick something that sounds alien)
Personality:
Appearance: If you want, you can also describe your hologram's appearance.
Age: (Noblans age slower than humans, keep this in mind. They can also live 20 years longer)
Bio:
I'll post my characters later. I also have a secret character I'll be revealing when the RP starts.
rocklobster

Re: Hive Mind

Postby Vilo159 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:46 pm

Sounds fun! I haven't done many RPs, so I'll give it a try.

But before I do, I have a question. Can a characters starting on one side of the fight switch to the other? Like say, if a Gathering got its parasite killed, or if a Rebellion got infested? Or maybe do it voluntarily?
Vilo159

Postby rocklobster » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:25 pm

Switching sides is possible, but it would require some very good will. The Oxlans break you mentally, and make you do things you might not do w/o their control. You don't always have the parasite inside you, but that's because they need sleep. (they sleep in a pool of some kind) However, the human is kept in a cage and broken by their peers, so keep that in mind as well.
Anyway, here's my characters, except for the one I'm saving for when we start.
Name: Simon Fillon
Personality: He's very kind and is pretty much the team dad.
Appearance: Seems like he worked out. He has a good muscle structure.
Bio: Before he founded the rebellion, Simon was an instructor of martial arts. One of his students talked him into joining the Gathering, but when he learned the truth from a Noblan, he helped found the rebellion instead.
and here's a villain!
The Gathering
Name: Gary Joseph
Parasite's Designation: Z-67
Personality: On the surface, Gary seems humanitarian, but it's a front. He's very calculating. He has all the sincerity of a con artist.
Appearance: Gary is a tall, dark person with dreadlocked hair.
Bio: Gary is the founder of the Gathering. Prior to the venture, he was a prominent preacher, and his status helped him gain influence.
rocklobster

Postby Vilo159 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:24 pm

Ok, cool. Obviously it will take some major characterization, and I'm not saying that'll even happen, I was just curious.

Anyway, here's my guy:

The Gathering
Name: Lucas Garrenger
Parasite's Designation: C-328
Personality:Lucas is an extremely smart but stubborn young college student who speaks his mind no matter who's listening.
Appearance: Long, shaggy, dirty blonde, curly hair, brown eyes, tanned skin, medium build. 5'11".
Bio: Lucas Attended Brown University, where he heard rumors of a revolution. The rumors led him to The Gathering, where he eagerly joined the cause. He was infected with an Oxlan soon after.
Vilo159

Postby Wolfsong » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:29 pm

Well, this looks like nothing I've ever tried before, but I'm gonna give it a go! The only thing I'm not sure I understand, Rocky, is how to play the parasite. Can you tell me exactly how this is supposed to work?
Meanwhile, here's my guy.

The Gathering
Name: Ana Karenia
Parasite's Designation: A-597
Personality: Quiet and timid, easily frightened, shy, introvert, keeps to herself.
Appearance: Light blonde shoulder-length hair, baby blue eyes. Wears light blue sweater and white tee-shirt. Blue skirt. Long white socks and white tennis-shoes.
Bio: Ana heard rumors of the Gathering at school, and someone there tried to talk to her about it. She avoided the person, as was her way, but her curiousity was arroused. She finally decided to find out what they were talking about, and joined the Gathering. Shortly after, she became infected.

Hope this works. :)
Wolfsong

Postby rocklobster » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:11 am

as for how the parasite's rp works, what I'm going for is ocassionaly we see the parasite and the human arguing with each other (and btw, usually the parasite wins if the host is broken enough). Also, I think I should point out that the Oxlans secrete a chemical that is addictive, making it even harder to resist.
rocklobster

Postby Wolfsong » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:05 pm

I see. So my character and its parasite get into fights? This could be fun.
Wolfsong

Postby Psycho Molos » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:16 pm

So the Oxlans are almost like Trill symbionts in Star Trek?
Psycho Molos

Postby rocklobster » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:19 am

yeah, except the Trill were good, and the Oxlans are evil. I based them on the Yeerks in Animorphs.
rocklobster

Postby Psycho Molos » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:28 am

Lol yea I saw the "sleep in goo" part and thought Trill
Psycho Molos

Postby Wolfsong » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:09 pm

Random thought:
Back to the parasite, um...how does it argue? I mean, what does it want me to do, generally?
Wolfsong

Postby rocklobster » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:56 pm

It's kind of like having a voice in your head. But you argue telepathically. And it only happens until you become addicted to the substance it secretes to make you more submissive. After that, the arguing can stop, unless you become resistant to the "drug".
rocklobster

Postby Wolfsong » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:11 pm

Hmm...I guess I get it. Oh well, I'll find out, right?
Wolfsong

Return to RPGs and Roleplaying