RPG Confusion

This is where all in character roleplaying occurs. Please note that posts in this forum do not count toward your post count, and that old threads are subject to periodic prunination!

RPG Confusion

Postby tronethiel7 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:50 pm

Maybe I haven't read thoroughly enough into the rpg's on the site, but some of them have been running a good while. I'm thinking I might be a part of one, but can someone give me a thorough idea of how it all works. Not particularly familiar with it.
" And he who was seated on the throne said, “Behold, I am making all things new.â€
tronethiel7

Postby rocklobster » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:01 pm

why not join my Horizon RP and I'll school you? Here's the link click here
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Broly Ultimatrix » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:08 pm

Just for a brief overview. The Rp's on this website follow a dynamic storytellers approach in which everyone put's their character sheets (text bescribing there RP character) and while acting as that character post in the story from wherever the GM starts it. From there you essentially tell the story while each person plays their own character so unlike a book where a single author dictates everything that happends the ultimiate outcome of one of our roleplays depende a lot on the people roleplaying and what each of them do. When someone starts a RP they put a brief synopsis of what the RP's story will be about and a character sheet for others to fill out and people submit these sheets. When enough people have volenteered for a rp the GM pm's a Mod (useually Golden or Kitsune) and asks to have their rp approved. onced it's ben approved the GM posts the first story describing what's happening and everyone else from then on adds their two bits to the story and control the progression. I think this is a pretty general overfiew but if I missed something please fill in the blanks oh much more experienced Roleplayers then I.
/summon Alucard on those who need a hug
shinpaku alliance: Metolosophy, Ace33Wing, Diamond Dragon, Ally-Ann and Broly Ultimatrix
http://www.bronyland.com/pony-personality-test/?q=NDg2MHw1MTgwMzM
Broly Ultimatrix

Postby samurai10 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:07 am

Broly's pretty much got it. The GM (GM stands for game mod, btw, if you didn't know) sets the rules, what you have to put in your character sheets to describe your character, how many characters you can have, etc. etc. Basically, an RPG here is just a story from every character's point of view with a GM to lead the story. ^^
"I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia." ~The Silver Chair

"You can close your eyes to the things you don't want to see, but you can't close your heart to the things you don't want to feel." ~Johnny Depp

"MOES! Sign up and sig down!"

[color="Red"]@)[/color][color="SeaGreen"]}~`,~ [/color]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.

Sami-The warrior pokemon

This pokemon is stout in stature, but extremely loyal. it's head and ears make the shape of a samurai helmet. the scales from said helmet can be pulled out and used as kunai.
samurai10

Location: You're crazy if you think I'll tell you where I live.

Postby tronethiel7 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:00 am

Sorry, I'm just trying to grasp this.

So, our characters are sort of reactionary on our part, and that fact that we control them creates multiple variables?
Is there any real discussion about what we are going to do, or does the gm just throw a setting out there and we just shoot for the stars?
Are any other player characters allowed to die? I imagine it would have to happen at the behest of that player and with gm consent...
" And he who was seated on the throne said, “Behold, I am making all things new.â€
tronethiel7

Postby Broly Ultimatrix » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:43 am

I think your getting it fine but if you want you can read a new rpg thread and then it's corresponding rp thread then you can see how it's started and how it progressed.

My personal favorit on this sight so far is The Next Gen
New RPG Thread: Here
Main RP thread: Here

it's pretty long and currently on pause as they wait for the gm (and other players) to all be on at the same time. It's also a pony rp so if your not into that theirs also Infinite

Main RP Thread: Here

This main rp thread is also a lot smaller so you can catch up with the story much faster and seems to still get a lot of activity though I haven't read it myself.

To answer the second line
tronethiel7 wrote:Is there any real discussion about what we are going to do, or does the gm just throw a setting out there and we just shoot for the stars?

Most discussion about stor or questions by some of the other players are disscussed in the new rpg ideas thread of that story but they can also create a OOC(out of character) thread for their given rp to discuss things. You can also think of it as, as th eplayers get themselves prepared their essentially setting up the pool table and the GM hit's the cue ball to start things off. after that each ball does it's own thing and at the balls collide and run their path the end result of the table and where each ball stops moving depends on each ball individually. but the cue ball will always start things moving again and again and he determins how large a pool table and whats allowed on it. hopefully that doesn't confuse you :P
shinpaku alliance: Metolosophy, Ace33Wing, Diamond Dragon, Ally-Ann and Broly Ultimatrix
Broly Ultimatrix

Postby rocklobster » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:56 am

and yes, deaths are allowed, but it has to be worked out with the GM and the people interested in doing it. And if your character dies, you can still play. You just need to create a whole new character. Think of it like regenerating ;)
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby tronethiel7 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:13 am

Broly Ultimatrix (post: 1596696) wrote:I think your getting it fine but if you want you can read a new rpg thread and then it's corresponding rp thread then you can see how it's started and how it progressed.

My personal favorit on this sight so far is The Next Gen
Main RP thread: Here

it's pretty long and currently on pause as they wait for the gm (and other players) to all be on at the same time. It's also a pony rp so if your not into that theirs also Infinite

Main RP Thread: Here

This main rp thread is also a lot smaller so you can catch up with the story much faster and seems to still get a lot of activity though I haven't read it myself.

To answer the second line

Most discussion about stor or questions by some of the other players are disscussed in the new rpg ideas thread of that story but they can also create a OOC(out of character) thread for their given rp to discuss things. You can also think of it as, as th eplayers get themselves prepared their essentially setting up the pool table and the GM hit's the cue ball to start things off. after that each ball does it's own thing and at the balls collide and run their path the end result of the table and where each ball stops moving depends on each ball individually. but the cue ball will always start things moving again and again and he determins how large a pool table and whats allowed on it. hopefully that doesn't confuse you :P

Cool. I get it. One more for you, are the ooc threads actually determining things as they happen, like players predeciding new steps with there characters, or is it just kind of a theoretical...what if, or you should try this...

[quote="rocklobster (post: 1596701)"]and yes, deaths are allowed, but it has to be worked out with the GM and the people interested in doing it. And if your character dies, you can still play. You just need to create a whole new character. Think of it like regenerating ]

Thanks for the patience, and that's kind of cool. Also, do these things kind of continue indefinitely? or is there an end. (GM's perogative?)
tronethiel7

Postby Broly Ultimatrix » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:41 am

In another Roleplay I'm in on another site altogether we have a rp reccomendation thread where each persons characters are listed (the characters are already well known to us so we just choose who we want to rp as) and each person list the various arcs we would like to unfold as the story continues. it's where you comment on what has already happend and possibly discuss what your plannign on doing. It's best to inform the gm before making a story line altering meneuver like intoducing a big bad boss into the mix and interupting story flow. The ooc thread works like that.
Broly Ultimatrix

Postby rocklobster » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:42 am

I've only had one RP actually end. Most of the time they just die off.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby tronethiel7 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:45 am

rocklobster (post: 1596714) wrote:I've only had one RP actually end. Most of the time they just die off.

An solid end seems like it would be more fulfilling.

So basically, just run any big moves or things you might be unsure of by the gm?
tronethiel7

Postby rocklobster » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:01 pm

you got it.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Return to RPGs and Roleplaying