Michael Lance presents:One thousand and one ways to make an RPG awesome.

This is where all in character roleplaying occurs. Please note that posts in this forum do not count toward your post count, and that old threads are subject to periodic prunination!

Michael Lance presents:One thousand and one ways to make an RPG awesome.

Postby Michael Lance » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:02 pm

Hello, fellow Role-Players! I, Michael Lance, have deemed it necessary to post this thread, as I have noticed that most RPG threads are now being archived and forgotten. An outrage, I say! Role-Players and their epic legends deserve more attention and respect! Therfore, I have posted this thread in an attempt to liberate my fellow Pokemon Trainers, Resistance Fighters, Heroes, Villains, and Damsels-In-Distress.

Join the resistance! Help me empower the thinkers and dreamers with tactics for creating the best storylines, the best characters, and the best gameplay an RP'er could ever ask for!

Any and all advice is accepted - not just the moderators! Make your voice heard, all ye unlikely heroes!! :rock:

oh, and btw - like I always do, I originally began this thread in the wrong section :stressed: *facepalm*. Sorry, CAA people... I'm trying, I'm trying...
M-I-C-H-A-E-L

spell it right, or don't spell it at all.

@)}~`,~

Thank you, for all you do for us.

that awkward moment when you go to see who's online, and someone else is already looking at the members list...
Michael Lance

Postby josh_manga » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:04 pm

sadly, i already had a thread like this, but it is now invisible to me, and it wasn't that old either. You can find it here though:

http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=59759

Hopefully this mistake will be rectified, but until then, it may be worth posting in your thread instead. :)

Also, let me know if you can see that thread in the OOC forum. If you can, maybe it's just me who can't.

EDIT: i see you joined recently, and since i haven't run across you before, let me say welcome to CAA!

EDIT: and since i'm posting, might as well post something pertinent.

I'm currently working on a more traditional RPG campaign for my friends and i to play in person in a few weekends. I'll try not to go into great detail, as that would be boring to anyone not interested in rules systems and such, but i'm using a few ideas that are new, or, new to me anyway.

[color="Red"]Random Encounters[/color]: Not a new idea, not an original idea, but if you find the game flagging, have a preset list of events made up. Try not to make it too outlandish, don't put Singing Octopi next to Siberian Tigers. Unless you are playing in a really messed up campaign, in which case, go ahead, it could be fun!

To run the random table, you can use dice. If you don't have the funny polyhedrons your pen and paper RPGs utilize, you can visit Obsidian Portal or Wizards.com, where they have digital dice rollers!
If you use a single die, bear in mind that the percentages of rolling any number will be the same, so you have to think in terms of a spectrum. By spectrum i mean 1-3, 4-8, 9-15, and so on.

If you are using two dice and adding them together, it is more acceptable to place results on just a single number. For instance, rolling two ten-sided dice will result in no less than 2, and no more than 20. But you only have a 1% chance of rolling 2, and a 1% chance of rolling 20. The closer to the middle of the whole spectrum you place things, the more likely they are to result. For instance, between two dice, there are a total of ten ways to roll 11, which means 11 is likely to come up 10% of the time. Again, using a spectrum is ok, for instance 10-12 will result in a 28% likelihood of coming up. So things you want to happen more often should be placed somewhere in that range.

[color="DarkOrchid"]Hidden Challenges[/color]: Come up with some minor goals for your players, but don't tell them. If they meet the conditions for the reward, it will be a nice surprise for them. For instance, if someone is playing a fighter, you might reward that character with extra experience for defeating the first opponent without help. Later on, you might reward that character for the total number of times an opponent was defeated without help.

If you aren't using an experience system (maybe your game is more role play oriented rather than character stats building, which seems to be the case in these forums), reward the solo warrior with sole share of the loot from the victory, or maybe send a private message to the player with a secret message the foe whispered in the character's ear with his dying breath. That way there would be no spoilers for the rest of the group.

[color="YellowGreen"]Making Monsters[/color]: In my table top game enemies and monsters are made basically the same as the characters, this way i know exactly what i'm throwing at my players, and what they should be capable of handling. But it's tedious to write up a new monster each time. What i've done recently is to write up generic stats for opponents, arranged them by level, and then set along side them certain skills they can use depending on what class the enemy is supposed to be. Same stat block, different skill. If i want to throw a goblin munchkin at them, there it is. If i want to throw a giant man eating rat at them, same stats, different skill (or lack thereof). If i want to throw a whole bunch of monsters at them all at once, POOF! There they are, all homogenized for simplicity. If i want to have a boss, i use a higher level creature and give it a little more Health for the heroes to hack through.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
http://lunamothmusicalentity.bandcamp.com/ http://smithcreations.webs.com/ http://www.scytherpg.webs.com/
Take off every sig, for great justice!
God bless us, everyone.
j.smith.
josh_manga

Postby Michael Lance » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:38 am

Thanks for the advice! I like your thinking :n_n:
M-I-C-H-A-E-L

spell it right, or don't spell it at all.

@)}~`,~

Thank you, for all you do for us.

that awkward moment when you go to see who's online, and someone else is already looking at the members list...
Michael Lance

Return to RPGs and Roleplaying