World of Terrabia

This is where all in character roleplaying occurs. Please note that posts in this forum do not count toward your post count, and that old threads are subject to periodic prunination!

World of Terrabia

Postby josh_manga » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:06 pm

Welcome to Terrabia, a medieval fantasy realm where Elves are hunted for their magical knowledge, Humans are in constant struggle for power, Dwarves live a secret existence underground, Sataurs roam the wild woodlands, and the Saurian Dragon Lords are a dying race.

This will be a plot based role play, but the plot will be loosely character driven, meaning the characters you make won't just be pieces in a game, they will also determine the direction the plot takes. There are specific goals in place, but how you get there and why will be up to you to some extent, and i will try to leave the world as an open sandbox to avoid too much railroading if you wish.

I will be unavailable for a couple days, so feel free to read, comment, ask questions, etc... and when i get back i'll start answering questions.

Content will be around PG rated, the style is open to any kind of treatment really, from realistic to anime, the deciding factor there is between you and your imagination.

There is supernatural and mythical content, such as magic, elves, and the undead, etc... but playing a magical elf is not mandated. Play what you are comfortable playing, or feel would be an interesting challenge, whatever you want.

Character creation is a bit intensive, more than just coming up with a name. Because i use a home made RPG system, expect a bit of a learning curve, but i've explained it dozens of times to different people, young and old, so i'm beginning to become a pro at it. I have plenty of patience.

Characters are made based on a point buy system, which means that instead of just deciding what your character is like in words, or rolling dice to see how strong or weak your character is, you get to choose your character's strengths and weaknesses.

There is also a Trait system, which grants additional bonuses to characters' stats, and these Traits are named, which you can ignore or take into consideration as part of your character's backstory (such as the "Bullied at School" Trait).

Skills are also a point buy system, but instead of buying a specific skill, you buy a skill set, which grants you several skills to use at any given time. Spells are the same way.

Combat will be treated descriptively, and even though i may roll dice and track numbers, instead of telling you how much health a monster has lost from your attack i'll describe the effectiveness of the attack, and you will have to determine if the monster is near death or if you should consider a retreat. Use your brain, think about tactics, be innovative, stay alive.

If your character should die, your party members will have three in-game days to revive your character, after that point your character will be considered permanently dead.

There are several races you can play as (Human, Elf, Dwarf, Sataur, Saurian), and you are free to define your character however you want with the understanding that the character's origins are within the game world (no crossovers with reality or another game, movie, or book universe), and all the characters will be starting in the same city. This pertains to character backgrounds, future goals, motivations, friends and enemies. Character classes are also open to interpretation, meaning you don't pick a class depending on the skills it offers, you pick your skills, then define your class.

If you want to play a cleric, that doesn't necessitate that you take Recovery magic, you could take a more natural, medical approach to healing instead. If you want to play a fighter, you aren't stuck with combat only actions, you can also take blacksmithing, healing, or magic skills. No one is stuck with a single set of skills, but the number of skill sets you can master is limited.

The maximum level for characters is 10, and there are only so many skills you can master in that range, so you can choose to specialize in a few skill sets, or generalize in many skills.

Also, i will be limiting the number of magic users, even casual magicians and hedge mages, to 1 for every 4-6 characters. So the ability to use magic is on a first come first serve basis. In the world of Terrabia, the ability to use magic is granted only to the lineage of the first born of certain bloodlines. It's not an ability that suddenly crops up, nor can it be learned later in life, it is your birthright.

There are no religious affiliations (not that the world is atheistically created, i'm just not going to insert them into the game), but there are two primary philosophical groups: The Order of Trask, and the Brotherhood of Gisdael. The characters will likely encounter these at some point along the way, as they gravitate toward any concentrated populous. Trask is very justice and retribution oriented, while Gisdael is very forgiveness and healing oriented. Both philosophies are taken to extremes, which means they both have their following and their detractors. Characters are not required to be a member of any philosophy, guild, or organization, but there might be some benefits through affiliation.

The story will begin in merchant city called Portsmouth on the western coast of the continent of Ravenwood. There has been political and economical tension for the last three years, and the city's leaders have been attempting to negotiate a peace treaty with the kingdom of Atlantica.

In centuries past, wars have broken out between nations, and spell weavers have always been the heavy artillery of war. A treaty had been arranged that kept the development and accumulation of magical knowledge to a reasonable amount, but in recent years the city of Tuo'Rath has established a Magic Academy, which acts as a training ground for new magicians but also a vault which contains many magical wonders, which has the leaders of Atlantica worried that the balance of power may tip and a new war will begin.

There are rumors however, that this is just an excuse for Atlantica to invade and take over Ravenwood's resources, and also to control the non human populous, since Atlantica is strictly a human domain.

Due to the recent tension and political discord, rioting and looting has broken out in the city of Portsmouth, which is where your adventures will begin.

The Inventory and Cultural info can be found in the OOC thread here:
http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?p=1498431&posted=1#post1498431
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
http://lunamothmusicalentity.bandcamp.com/ http://smithcreations.webs.com/ http://www.scytherpg.webs.com/
Take off every sig, for great justice!
God bless us, everyone.
j.smith.
josh_manga

Character Creation

Postby josh_manga » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:11 pm

EDIT: if the following is too confusing and intimidating, AND you really don't want to bother but you really DO want to play, just write up the information from Name to Description, and i can write up the rest for you if you want.

The general points of character creation are these:

Name: Your Character's name goes here.
Race: Are you Human, Elf, or something else?
Age: Not terribly important, but if your character gets too old they start to become decrepit. Not likely to happen unless we play for several years to come with the same characters...
Height: Not terribly important.
Weight: Also not terribly important.
Shoe Size: that was a joke, do not include this.
Class: How do you identify yourself to other people? Are you a fighting man? Perhaps you are a medical physician. Maybe you are a merchant. Possibly even some kind of sorcerer. The decision is yours, you can even leave this blank.

Description: More on physical appearance, but also your character's background, morality, worldview, etc... Get creative!

Traits.
These are special descriptors of characters. They grant additional bonuses to Attributes and Skills, and also grant additional abilities. You should choose one of these from your character's racial list before moving on to Attributes, as these will take effect every level from the point that you pick them. You may only pick Traits from your character's racial list, and you may only pick one Trait per level at the following levels: Lv 1, Lv 4, Lv 6, Lv 8, Lv 10.

Combat Stats.
These are the basic points of information you need to keep track of during combat.

Level: This depicts the fullness with which a character has reached their potential. The higher the Level, the stronger a character is. Each Level that you gain grants one additional point to Fate. Ordinary people do not have a very high potential, hence they cannot reach a very high Level, which is what sets the Player Characters apart from the ordinary creatures and soldiers they may face. Player Characters are destined for greater things, or may simply push themselves to reach beyond their natural limits to grasp greater potential. Level 10 is the maximum that most Player Characters will reach.

Experience: You will gain experience for doing different things, such as combat, diplomacy, solving puzzles, completing quests, etc... You do not have to engage in violent combat to defeat an enemy, and if you do, an enemy retreat is counted as a victory and will be rewarded with experience. You will continue to gain Experience after you reach level 10.

Health: Starts at 10. You gain 10 per level. This is your physical endurance, pain tolerance, and general well being. If this gets too low, your performance in combat will become restricted and you wont be able to cast more powerful spells. If this reaches 0, your character will enter a state known as Near Death. If your character does not stabilize in a short amount of time, it will die of shock.

Vigor: Starts at 10. You gain 10 per level. This is your stamina, your inner pool of energy with which you perform certain difficult and straining physical tasks during combat or spell casting. If this gets too low, your Health will begin to suffer.

Fate: Starts at 1. You gain one per level. These are your character's uncanny ability to change the outcome of events. They are a little vague because they can be used in many ways, basically letting you break the rules once per point spent. Once you use a point though, you cannot get it back unless it is granted to you somehow.

Toughness: This is determined by your race. This reduces the damage you take, lowering how much you are hurt.

Actions: This starts at 2. There are some Traits or Skills you may take that grant you additional actions during combat, but they are conditional.

Mobility: This is determined by your race. This can be given in feet or spaces. You might prefer the feet notation, as it gives a more concrete description of the distance a character can move. Every 5 feet is equal to 1 space. (this only really matters if we are using some kind of grid in combat, which we won't likely be doing. Ever.)

Attributes.
These are the basic building blocks of your character's strengths and weaknesses. You start with 46 points, and can distribute them anywhere among these six Attributes. There must be a minimum of 1 on each Attribute. You gain 10 additional points per level.

Vitality: This is added to your Health. When you get old and decrepit, this stat will begin to lower by one point every year to every few years. When it reaches 0, you will die of old age.

Strength: This is your physical power, your damage in hand to hand combat and with melee weapons, and your carrying ability. Every 3 points gain you the ability to carry one new kind of item in your knapsack.

Dexterity: This is your skill with your hands, your deadly accuracy when aiming a ranged weapon, and your ability to slip past an enemy's guard in melee combat. This affects your melee and ranged attack, and your ranged damage.

Agility: This is your body's swiftness, your ability to dodge attacks, both physical and some magical.

Mind: This is your intelligence, your ability to weave magic out of thin air to cast powerful spells, and the effectiveness of crafting certain objects like structures and machinery.

Will: This is added to your Vigor. This is your determination and morale, your ability to defend against magic spells, cast other powerful spells, and resist mind control.

Skills.
These are the abilities and/or spells your character has learned about or can further your education in. You must go to a trainer or find a book to train skills. You gain Skill points when you gain a level, but you will also gain 1 Skill point per 1000 points of Experience, and you can buy 1 Skill point for 1000 gold pieces at a skill trainer. You must go through each rank of a skill to reach further ranks. Some skill sets only have one or two ranks, but most cap off at 5. The cost for a Rank 1 Skill is 1 point, the cost of a Rank 2 Skill is 2 points, the cost of a Rank 3 Skill is 3 points, the cost of a Rank 4 skill is 4 points, and the cost of a Rank 5 Skill is 5 points. This makes for 15 points total to max out a single skill.

Skill Points: This starts at 3. You will gain 3 points per level. You use these to learn new skills or increase current skill ranks with.

Innate Skills.
These are the skills every sentient being has from birth and as they grow and mature through adolescence.

Cunning ~ This is the ability to solve puzzles, mental challenges, mysteries, and overcome other characters’ logic or persuasion. Roll 1d10 per Rank. 5 Ranks. Costs a full turn to solve quandaries. Countering Eloquence is a defensive action.

Eloquence ~ This is the ability to persuade non-player characters to do things, such as lower prices on merchandise, or accept a peace treatise, or let your character in a restricted area. Eloquence may also be used to seduce, intimidate, and recruit. Roll 1d10 per Rank of Eloquence versus your opponent’s Cunning roll to determine if your target is persuaded favorably. 5 Ranks. Costs 1 Action.

First Aid ~ This is the ability to help an ally that has been injured. It is not as effective as actual medical attention or healing spell, but will do in a pinch and requires nothing more than a few strips of cloth for bandages. First Aid cannot cure the Near Death status! Roll 1D4 Healing per Rank. 5 Ranks. Costs 1 Action and 1 Bandage.

Perception ~ This is the ability to spot things, such as hidden doors, booby traps, concealed weapons, camouflaged enemies, footprints in the dirt, or mysterious clues in tapestries or books. Roll 1D10 per Rank. 5 Ranks. Costs 1 Action.

Skills and Spells: I'll post these in a list in another post on this thread.

Equipment.
These are the things you have on your body, in your hand, or in your belt ready to be used. These things can be readied instantly.

Knapsack.
These are the things you carry with you on your back. The stronger you are, the more you can carry. These things take one action to take out or exchange.

Gold Crowns: This is the standard currency of the civilized world in Terrabia, meaning you can use them anywhere you go, because gold is valuable everywhere. Every character will start out with 200 GC, but with this you will also equip your character. You can spend it all, or keep some to spend later after you have a better idea of what your character really needs.

Inventory: these are the things you equip and keep in your knapsack, and i will post a fairly exhaustive list of them in another post in this thread.

Note to forum Moderators: if these lists i keep mentioning are a problem here, i can put them in the OOC forum instead, as part of this group's role play HQ. So, players, look for them there as well if you don't see them here.

It is fairly late at night for me, and this may contain some errors, i will look over it later and edit some things if problems arise.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
http://lunamothmusicalentity.bandcamp.com/ http://smithcreations.webs.com/ http://www.scytherpg.webs.com/
God bless us, everyone.
j.smith.
josh_manga

Postby josh_manga » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:04 am

After looking at another RPG proposal, i thought it would behoove me to post an example character.

NOTE: this character is just an example, not likely to show up in the game itself.

Name: Aldvark Stornywoot
Race: Something else...
Height: 6'3"
Weight: 200 lbs. (all muscle)
Shoe Size: I told you not to include this!
Class: Fishmonger. Really... not an assassin. Just a fishmonger.

Description: Built like mount Rushmore! But with just one head. He really likes fishing. AND RAZOR SHARP KNIVES!!!! MUAHAHAHAHAH!!!! eh, but mostly fishing...

Level: 1
Experience: 0
Health: 20 (10+Vitality)
Vigor: 20 (10+Will)
Fate: 0 (NPC's don't get Fate)
Toughness: 3 (because of his race. whatever that is.)
Actions: 2
Mobility: 35 feet per turn (just call me twinkle toes)

Vit 10
Str 10
Dex 5
Agi 10
Min 1
Wil 10

Skill Points Remaining: 0 (2 points went to First Aid rank 2, and 1 point went to Brawling rank 1)
Cunning Rank: 1
Eloquence Rank: 1
First Aid Rank: 2 (darn those fishhooks!)
Perception Rank: 1
Brawling: 1 (improvisational weapons and unarmed combat for bar fights)

Equipment:
Crude Fishing Rod, Dagger 1d6 Dmg +3 Atk, Leather Jerkin +2 Prot.

Knapsack:
Bait x10, Fishhook x3, Fishing Line x2, Sandwich x5, Milk x5 (counted in jars), Gold Crowns: 0 (lost the rest in a game of cards).

Since Mr. Stornywoot here is irresponsible and erratic, it is unlikely that he will go far in life. Hence, his level will be restricted to that of Level 4, which is the limit for ordinary folk. Only adventurers, beings of great power, magically altered creatures, and those who aspire to greatness will be able to go beyond that. Sadly, Mr. Stornywoot will never be a Level 10 Fishmonger, worthy of having his story told in the great epics of the bards. Instead he will be relegated to the annals of history through the yearly census, and there, forgotten.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
God bless us, everyone.
j.smith.
josh_manga

Postby raider~joseph » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:27 am

I am not trying to sound mean but this sounds like a cool game for a group of people looking to do some old school RPGs.But it's gonna be near impossible to organize a bunch of people to do so.But I must admit your class system sounds facinating.I could be anything from a profession to a hobby of mine and make THAT into a class.That could go somewhere if you could make a skills guide.That could take a while though.
The orbital friendship cannon is gone. But its LEGACY LIVES ON IN US!
FOR PONY, FOR STUFF, FOR LUNA!

"I can has roleplaying!"
raider~joseph

Postby josh_manga » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:33 am

@ Raider~joseph

Hello,

I'm not sure why you think this would be near impossible to run. I've run several games in person and have started one through facebook. So far the only thing that has kept that game from moving forward is people's lack of internet access.

The skills guide is a good idea, if i'm following you (i just got up). I'm hoping the skills, once i have them posted, will be fairly self explanatory.

I'd be interested to read why you think this is going to be near impossible to organize. This is the RP forum after all. ;)

If you're referring to the character sheets, i can manage those myself if players don't want to, and if you're referring to combat, i've run that myself so players can focus on immersion into the experience. I've always tried to make the rules as transparent as possible so the story and characters can shine through.

But yes, this is a bit old school, i will admit, and it may only appeal to that group, but do not be fooled, this is not going to be an endless dungeon crawl slog fest. I fully intend to enjoy some creative role playing, and as little roll playing as possible. If you know what i mean. :cool:
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
God bless us, everyone.
j.smith.
josh_manga

Postby raider~joseph » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:37 pm

I prefer to handle my own character sheet and will update you as the game progresses.Oh and by the way I was only doubting you through personal experience.However if your sure about this count me in.I love old school RPGs.By the way...master dibs on the rogue!

"I can has roleplaying!"
raider~joseph

Postby Diamond Dragon » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:58 am

I have a question: What are Sataurs and Saurians? (Also, I call a magic wielder!)
(Pic made by Bio! <3)

DiamondDragon - the Sky pokemon
Ruling the skies on its thick wings, this Pokemon is feared by all flying beasts. Its twinkling wings change in the sunlight. Some people believe that this pokemon actually has diamonds that grow on its skin. Despite its intimidating size, it is an extremely friendly ally and a very dangerous enemy.
@)}~`,~
Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
http://dragcave.net/view/JXKV4
Diamond Dragon

Saurians

Postby josh_manga » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:29 pm

Saurians
Humanoid, bipedal creatures resembling lizards or dragons. Born, bred, and trained for a single purpose, each Saurian’s future is planned and encoded into their genes based on the colony’s needs. Worker Saurians will carry out each task diligently and without reserve or remorse. There is no social stigma, no caste system at work, each Saurian does their job with complete loyalty knowing that each part works for the better of the whole. Warrior Saurians go to war fully expecting to die, and when they do, more are bred to take their place in the battle. Saurians mature quickly, and possess a sharp, cold intellect that surpasses that of the average human.
Saurians are born identical in form, but as they grow they take different physical features based on the task for which they were intended. Some possess wings for flight, others have internal gas chambers for explosive expulsions, warrior Saurians grow large to do battle while miner Saurians remain small to burrow through the earth quickly.

Traits
Level 1
Saurians are generally leaner and faster than most mammals. +1 Mobility 35 Feet per Action.
Traits
Level 1
Born Tinker First Rank of Blacksmithing free. Once
Born Warrior +1 Strength and Dexterity.
Born Scout +1 Mobility (7 spaces/35 feet). Once
Born Protector +2 Agility.
Born Alchemist First Rank of Alchemy free. Once.
Born Magician +2 Mind.

Level 4
Scaly Hide +2 Toughness
Heat Spots Grants infrared vision in the dark. Only works on warm blooded creatures, or objects that give off heat.
Spring Muscles +1 Strength and Melee.
Telescopic Eyes +2 Range for Shooting and Spells. Once.
Wild Spirit -1 Spirit cost on Combat Skills. Once.

Level 6
Gliding The Saurian has matured and grown wings. While lift-off and sustained flight is not possible, gliding and gradual, controlled descent is possible.
Heat breath A narrow blast of hot air bellows directly from your mouth. 2d6 Fire Damage.
Elemental Attunement: Earth Saurian has Lightning Immunity
Elemental Attunement: Water Saurian has Fire Immunity
Elemental Attunement: Fire Saurian has Ice Immunity
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
God bless us, everyone.
j.smith.
josh_manga

Sataurs

Postby josh_manga » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:35 pm

Sataurs
Goat like bipedal humanoids with cloven hoofs at the end of their back kneed legs. The Sataur word for the world of Terrabia is Satyrn. They live in the wilds, in packs sleeping in caves and dense groves. Their society is undeveloped, as is their science. They cannot use magic but instead rely on their enhanced physical abilities to survive. They are more intelligent than they may appear, and are fast learners, able to pick up human weapons and armor and wield them with great proficiency.

Sataurs move 30 feet per Action.

Level 1

Traits
Level 1
Sense of the Wild Your sensitive nose grants you greater perception. +1 Rank Perception. Once
Wild Savagery +1 Melee, +1 Strength
Fierce Arm +2 Ranged Damage Throwing.
Horned Beast Additional Melee Attack, +1D4 piercing damage for pointed horns, blunt damage for curved horns. Once.

Level 4
Fleet Footed +5 Mobility per Action.
Innate Fighter +2 Dexterity
Tough Hide +1 Toughness
Experimentor +1 Rank of Blacksmithing
Scientist +1 Rank of Alchemy
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
God bless us, everyone.
j.smith.
josh_manga

Postby josh_manga » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:24 pm

I've set up a page in OOC for the Inventory. All non-Human cultures are added. [color="Red"]Combat Skills Completed![/color] [color="YellowGreen"]Tradeskills added.[/color] [color="Blue"]Magic Schools Completed![/color]

http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?p=1498405#post1498405

This should go to it.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
God bless us, everyone.
j.smith.
josh_manga

Elves

Postby josh_manga » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:37 pm

The Elves are much similar to Humans, with the exception that they do not physically age past youthful maturity. Ever young and beautiful, the only death they may meet is a violent one. Age cannot touch them, and plague does not wrack their bodies, only a wound from a sword, magic spell, or some freak accident may kill or mar them.

Level 1
Being naturally faster afoot, Elves move 35 feet per Action (7 Spaces).

Traits

Level 1
Elf Memory +2 Mind
Elf Fortitude +2 Will
Elf Dexterity +2 Dexterity
Elf Nimbleness +2 Agility

Level 4
Magic Adeptness -1 Spirit Cost on all Magic Spells, minimum of 1 Cost. Once.
Eloquent Gain one Rank of Eloquence free
Creative Gain one Rank of Crafting free
Tree Bound Gain one Rank of Elemental Magic free.
Healer’s Heart Gain one Rank of Recovery Magic free.
Warlike Gain one Rank of Brawling Skill free.

Level 6
Deft Hands +2 Melee Attack
Far Sight +2 Ranged Attack
Powerful Intellect +1 Mind
Traditional Values +1 Will

Level 8
Clarity of Vision Gain one Rank of Perception free
Nature’s Friend Gain one Rank of Elemental Magic free
Shepherd Savant Gain one Rank of any Recovery Magic free
Magic Manipulation -1 Spirit Cost on all Magic Spells, minimum of 1 Cost. Once.

Level 10
Magic Mastery -5 Spirit Cost on all Magic Spells, minimum of 1 Cost.
Genius Tactician Full ranks of Tactical Skills.
Perfect Hunter +10 Ranged Damage.
One with the Wild Summon a wild animal to fight for you.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
God bless us, everyone.
j.smith.
josh_manga

Dwarves

Postby josh_manga » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:57 pm

Dwarves are short, stocky people, seldom taller than five feet. Their culture is an earthy one, celebrating the simplicity of life’s pleasures and the beauty of nature. They do not espouse any magical powers, and any beliefs in the supernatural are left to the individual. They are inquisitive by nature, and use nature’s powers to build their cities, technology, and armies.

A curious by product of their lack of magic usage, the Dwarves are sometimes found to be nigh unaffected by it as well. A sorcerer’s spells have been known to fizzle out, be directly absorbed, or even bounce off a sturdy Dwarrow.

Level 1
Being naturally shorter, Dwarves move slower on foot, moving 25 feet per Action (5 Spaces).

Traits
Level 1
Iron Will +2 Will
Leathery Hide +1 Protection
Mighty Oak +2 Vitality
Strong Bull +2 Strength

Level 4
Sharp Witted One Rank of Cunning free. Once
Tinker Savant One Rank of Blacksmithing free. Once
Alchemist Savant One Rank of Alchemy free. Once
Magic Fizzle On a roll of 18-20, Opponents’ Magic will fizzle out and have no effect.

Level 6
Magic Ambivalence +1 Magic Defense
Stony Hide +1 Protection
Heart of Stone +2 Vitality
Strong Bison +1 Strength

Level 8
Fire Reflection Fire spells that hit the Dwarf will be reflected on a successful defense. Once
Lightning Reflection Lightning spells that hit the Dwarf will be reflected on a successful defense. Once
Ice Reflection Ice spells that hit the Dwarf will be reflected on a successful defense. Once
Fire Absorption Fire that hit the Dwarf will have a healing effect on a successful defense. Once
Ice Absorption Ice that hit the Dwarf will have a healing effect on a successful defense. Once
Lightning Absorption Lightning that hit the Dwarf will have a healing effect on a successful defense. Once

Level 10
Proud Warrior Full Ranks of Valor Skill set free.
Fortitude of Steel Shrug off one successful physical attack per turn.
Pristinely Ungifted Direct magic effects will have no affect on you, but neither can you perform or use any form of magic.
Stone Form You can take the form of a statue at will for as long as you want. You cannot move, but also require no sustenance, breath, or rest. You will remain aware of anything happening to you in this form, but unaware of anything around you.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
God bless us, everyone.
j.smith.
josh_manga

Humans

Postby josh_manga » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:32 pm

Humans are just like you or I. They come in many shapes, sizes, colors, accents, cultures, etc... There are barbarians, townsfolk, farmers, hermits, tradesmen; the list goes on. The Human race does not excel at anything in particular, but there is very little that they cannot do.

The fiery nature of a Human often results in that, while they are short lived compared to many of the other races, their ambition drives them to change their world in a relatively short time. Others may be faster, stronger, or more intelligent, but the indomitable spirit of the Human race will ever endure.

Humans move 30 feet per Action.

Level 1
Well Fed +2 Vitality
Strong as an Ox +1 Strength
Hunter’s Path +1 Dexterity.
Bullied at School +1 Agility
Cunning as a Fox +1 Mind
Healer’s Heart +1 Will

Level 4
Well Spoken +1 Rank to Eloquence. Once.
Quick Witted +1 Rank to Cunning. Once.
Observant +1 Rank to Perception. Once.
Tender Touch +1 Rank to First Aid. Once.
Learned +1 Rank to any Common Skill. Once.

Level 6
Enduring + 2 Vitality
Tough as Nails +1 Protection (mitigates all physical Damage types)
Quick Handed +1 to Melee Attack
Eagle Eye +1 to Ranged Attack
Hypnotic +1 Magic Attack
Swift as a Serpent +1 Defense
Spiritual +1 Magic Defense
Valiant +1 Morale

Level 8
Ironsides +2 Protection (mitigates all physical Damage types)
Tactician +1 Defense and Magic Defense
Thunder Fists +1 Weapon Die for Melee attacks. Stacks with Critical hits. Once.
Wondrous Marksman May re-roll one missed Ranged attack per encounter.
Enchanted Critical successes with spell casting allow you to instantly cast one different spell at no Action Point cost.
Scholarly +1 Rank to any Common Skill. Once.
Perceptive +1 to Perception and Cunning rolls.
Healer’s Touch +1 to First Aid and Surgery rolls.
Graceful +1 to Eloquence and Performance rolls.
Siren May instantly Rank up Eloquence to maximum at no cost.

Level 10
Nigh Immortal +50 Health and Spirit.
Berserker May take from one’s own Health to add to the destructive power of Melee Damage. Health is subtracted whether the attack is successful or not.
War Veteran May instantly Rank up one Combat skill to maximum at no cost.
Archmage May instantly Rank up one Arcane, Elemental, or Conjuring Spell to maximum at no cost.
Saintly Any Re-Animated or Demonic who stand within 1 space of you will be harmed for 10d10 Damage each turn.
Otherworldly Mystic Magic Spells no longer consume Spirit.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
God bless us, everyone.
j.smith.
josh_manga

Postby josh_manga » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:44 pm

raider~joseph (post: 1498227) wrote:I prefer to handle my own character sheet and will update you as the game progresses.Oh and by the way I was only doubting you through personal experience.However if your sure about this count me in.I love old school RPGs.By the way...master dibs on the rogue!

We have one Rogue! You may certainly handle the sheet yourself, less paper work on me :sweat:

Diamond Dragon wrote: I have a question: What are Sataurs and Saurians? (Also, I call a magic wielder!)

We have one Magic User! I hope the racial info i put here and in the OOC thread will help answer that question for you, but just to further clarify: Sataurs are like goatmen, weregoats, the Satyrs and Minotaurs in the Chronicles of Narnia movies Disney put out recently. They are of average height, well muscled, hairy, goat headed, can have any shape of horns, and live in the wild, but some may try to fit in with humans, wearing clothes, smoking a pipe, using man made weapons, etc... They are a quirky and somewhat good natured race, but very independent and stubborn as well.

Saurians are like dragonmen, or lizardmen. They are tall, often 8 foot high, scaly, and some have horns. As they mature they can get bigger and eventually may become full fledged Dragon Lords, but only one Dragon Lord may reside over a tribe at any given time. Saurians can live for tens of thousands of years without significantly aging. Saurians are not asexual lizards, so you can play a female Saurian. ;)
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
God bless us, everyone.
j.smith.
josh_manga

Half Elf

Postby josh_manga » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:41 pm

Half Elves are the product of breeding between a Human and an Elf. They are sterile, and thus cannot have offspring of their own. Being the progeny of a Human, they are mortal, but being akin to Elf, they have an extended lifespan. Upon reaching maturity the aging process slows to a crawl. A healthy Half Elf can live to be thousands of years old.

Level 1
Half Elves inherit the Elf agility, allowing them to move 35 feet per Action (7 Spaces).

Traits
Half Elves also receive a combination of Traits from the Elf or Human lists, except for those at Level 1.

Level 1
Wanderer Your time in the wilderness or back alleys has given you greater mobility than those other layabouts. +1 Maximum Mobility (once)
Forsaken You were scorned by those around you. Your hatred of society grants you +5 Melee Attack and Damage against mobs. Once.
Lone Wolf You chose to leave society on your own. +5 Will when fighting one on one. Once.
Attuned to Nature You are keenly aware of your surroundings. One free rank of Perception.

Level 4
Magic Adeptness -1 Spirit Cost on all Magic Spells, minimum of 1 Cost. Once.
Creative Gain one Rank of Crafting free
Tree Bound Gain one Rank of Elemental Magic free.
Warlike Gain one Rank of Brawling Skill free.
Quick Witted +1 Rank to Cunning. Once.
Observant +1 Rank to Perception. Once.
Tender Touch +1 Rank to First Aid. Once.

Level 6
Deft Hands +2 Melee Attack
Far Sight +2 Ranged Attack
Enduring + 2 Vitality
Hypnotic +1 Magic Attack
Swift as a Serpent +1 Physical Defense
Spiritual +1 Magic Defense

Level 8
Clarity of Vision Gain one Rank of Perception free
Nature’s Friend Gain one Rank of Elemental Magic free
Tactician +1 Defense and Magic Defense
Wondrous Marksman May re-roll one missed Ranged attack per encounter.
Enchanted Critical successes with spell casting allow you to instantly cast one different spell at no Action Point cost.
Keen +1 to Perception and Cunning rolls.
Healer’s Touch +1 to First Aid and Surgery rolls.
Graceful +1 to Eloquence and Performance rolls.

Level 10
Wild Hunter When outnumbered, gain +10 to Melee and Ranged Attack.
Fey Sight You have the ability to see through walls into the next room.
Stalwart Champion When fighting one on one, +10 Defense and Magic Defense.
Nigh Immortal +50 Health and Vigor.
One with the Wild Summon a wild animal to fight for you.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
God bless us, everyone.
j.smith.
josh_manga

Postby josh_manga » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:25 pm

I have set a few guidelines for the different Magic Schools, but rather than list each and every spell, i'm letting you use your good judgement to invent spells as you go. I'll moderate them as i see fit, and may suggest spells available to you that you've not used in play.

I have listed every Combat Skill i've thought of so far, but i want to make it clear, once more, that combat is supposed to be exciting, descriptive, quick, and cinematic. So you aren't going to be stuck with just one set of skills because that's the only set you've chosen. Feel free to experiment and think up strategies using skills from the entire Combat list.

Trade Skills are also listed in vague terms, basically, think of something you want to do with them, and i'll decide if it can happen.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
God bless us, everyone.
j.smith.
josh_manga

Postby Diamond Dragon » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:50 am

Gee Josh, that seems a bit too complicated to me...That's gonna make it hard to make my character....
(Pic made by Bio! <3)

Ruling the skies on its thick wings, this Pokemon is feared by all flying beasts. Its twinkling wings change in the sunlight. Some people believe that this pokemon actually has diamonds that grow on its skin. Despite its intimidating size, it is an extremely friendly ally and a very dangerous enemy.
@)}~`,~
Diamond Dragon

Postby josh_manga » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:06 am

Uh oh! which part?

What kind of character do you want to make? Magic user, right? I can certainly help if you like, ask plenty of questions, i'm used to having some 'splaining to do. :brow:
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
God bless us, everyone.
j.smith.
josh_manga

Postby Diamond Dragon » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:48 pm

I was going to make a female Saurian who is 14 in human years (and yes, she'll be a magic user)

I'm fine from the Name to Description aspects. But from there....I'm in trouble. -_-;;;
(Pic made by Bio! <3)

@)}~`,~
Diamond Dragon

Postby josh_manga » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:48 pm

Alright! Sorry i couldn't respond sooner, we were headed to church right after i got your message.

Name through Description? Ok, next is:

Level: this will be 1, since we are starting out fresh.
Health: starts out at 10 and Vitality is added to it. You will always gain 10 extra points of Health when you level up, regardless of putting point on it.
Vigor: starts out at 10 and Will is added to it. You will also gain 10 points of Will when you level up.
Fate: starts out at 1 because you are level 1.
Toughness: starts out at 0, there may be a trait that will increase it.
Actions: 2, always 2 unless you get a skill that enables extra actions.
Mobility: not really relevant, but for the record, as a Saurian, it is 35 feet.

Next is your Trait. At Level 1 you get to pick one trait from the following list.
Born Tinker First Rank of Blacksmithing free. Once
Born Warrior +1 Strength and Dexterity.
Born Scout +1 Mobility (8 spaces/40 feet). Once
Born Protector +2 Agility.
Born Alchemist First Rank of Alchemy free. Once.
Born Magician +2 Mind.

You will probably want the Born Magician Trait. What this does is give you +2 points to Mind every level, including level 1. This will be worth 20 points by the time you reach level 10.

Next is your Attributes:

Vitality (Vit)
Strength (Str)
Dexterity (Dex)
Agility (Agi)
Mind (Min)
Will (Wil)

You have 46 points to allot to these. As a spellcaster, Mind and Will are most important, but Agility is needed to avoid physical attacks, and Vitality is needed to keep you alive and kicking. You should put the most points on what Attributes will be most important to you. Most spells require good Mind to use and be effective, but Recovery and Exorcism require strong Will. Will is also your magic defense, as well as your spell points. You can keep casting spells without Vigor, but that will end up costing you Health to do so.

Next are your Skills and Equipment, which are listed in the OOC thread.
The weapon you choose is up to you, you can pick anything you like based on style. Swords are more accurate, Axes do the most damage but are unpredictable, Maces do predictable damage but aren't as powerful.

Unlike some games where spell casters must forsake armor, you are free to wear any kind of armament you like, however, if you do not put many points on Strength, you may want a Traveler's Robe, which has extra pockets for carrying items. The Strength:Item Slot ratio is 3:1.

I hope this clarifies some things :sweat:
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
God bless us, everyone.
j.smith.
josh_manga

Postby Diamond Dragon » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:29 pm

Name: Iriai Roiyaru (Meaning Sunset Royal in Japanese)
Race: Saurian
Height: 7 1/2 ft
Weight: I'll have to get back to you on that...
Class: Dragon Mage
Description: Iriai is completely covered in small white scales that are tightly linked together. Her wide eyes are purple with a small hint of orange around the edges. Her irises are slitted, but it doesn't make her look scary or mean. Her silver hair is short, and is styled like this: http://images.wikia.com/pandorahearts/images/5/59/Break.jpg Except it doesn't quite cover her left eye. White dragon wings sprout from her shoulders and she has a long whip-like tail of the same color. Her hands and feet both have claws on them, but they aren't sharp enough for really hurting someone.
History: Iriai is the daughter of the current Dragon Lord of the Saurian tribe. She grew restless, always staying in the same place, never able to go out to see the world. So one day she gathered up her belongings and left the tribe to seek adventure. Her clothes look like this: http://i1036.photobucket.com/albums/a442/Mr_Pohls_Demon/Anime/Warrior.jpg

Health: 16
Vigor: 20
Fate: 1
Toughness: 0
Mobility: 35 feet
Trait: Born Magician +2 Mind

Vitality: 6
Strength: 5
Dexterity: 5
Agility: 10
Mind: 10
Will: 10

Skills: Elemental
Enchanting
Survival
Equipment: Quarterstaff, Long Bow, Wooden Arrows x10 Leather Armor, Traveler's Robe
Knapsack:
Gold: 200
(Pic made by Bio! <3)

@)}~`,~
Diamond Dragon

Postby josh_manga » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:40 pm

Good good...

All i can say right now is your character's history is going to make the plot very interesting in the long run! Looking forward to it.

A few minor corrections:

Your Vitality is 6, which would make your total Health 16, and your Will is 10, which would make your total Vigor 20. :)

The rest looks good.

I meant to clarify in my last post, you start with 3 Skill points, which means you can learn 3 Skill sets at rank 1, learn 1 Skill set at rank 1 and increase one of your Inherent skills to rank 2 (these are the Cunning, Eloquence, First Aid, Perception skills), or one new skill set at rank 2.

The way i'm going to run combat, don't bother learning any of the Combat Skills, unless you want to specialize in one. The cinematic style i'm hoping to go for means i'll be applying combat skills based on your descriptions of what your character is doing in Melee and Ranged combat.

Spells on the other hand, you'll be limited to those sets you specifically choose. If you only pick Sorcery and Recovery, those are the only types of spells you will be able to cast. I've left specific spells out of the list on purpose, so you can role play your spell casting with more personal flavor and feel free to invent or borrow spell ideas. I may suggest some spells through NPC chat as we play though.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
God bless us, everyone.
j.smith.
josh_manga

Postby raider~joseph » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:28 pm

We still need a tank and some spec dps and spec healer...(Im not psychic but Dia probably gonna become a swiss army caster.We need at least a Spec healer)ima run crowd control and stat reducing along with status inflicting...and buffs(slighly).Ima be doing a raider class rogue. Sorta a Ninja/Rogue hybrid.If we can edit skills along the way its gonna be much easier.Thanks a rarity in these types of games.(Good job on the character sheet Dia!)Ima fine tuning my character still so be patient.Thanks.Your system is so cool josh.This took a lot of work huh?

"I can has roleplaying!"
raider~joseph

Postby josh_manga » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:00 pm

Nice nice...

For buffs and crowd control... erm... the Valor skill set should have some of that, and some radial AOE as well (Whirling Attack). And i think the Melee skill set has some bleeding wounds.

Again, only spend points on skillsets you truly want to specialize in, because the rest will be applied on a narrative basis.

For the ninja aspect, you might consider the Espionage trade skill.

"Thanks a rarity in these types of games." I'm confused by what you mean here.

Skills are totally editable, i mean, you can't forget a skill, but you can learn new ones as you go, even in between levels. (1 new skill point every 1000 exp/gold)

With only one magic caster, the other healer will have to put ranks on First Aid, and Surgery (oops, forgot to add that to the skill list!!!) Herbalism would to fine too, making healing potions/poultices for the party.

Thanks for the compliment! Yes, i've been doing this sort of thing since i was 12, and it's been gradually refined over the years to what it is today, and sadly it still needs further fleshing out. I'm good when it comes to rules and stuff, it's the extra items and non-combat skills where my focus is thin, so this should be good, i intend to amend and add to as we go, hopefully making it better. The core rules won't change though, i promise, no revisions to the character sheets. :sweat: (merciful heavens no!)
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
God bless us, everyone.
j.smith.
josh_manga

Postby Diamond Dragon » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:38 pm

Sorry, I have to post it again.

Name: Iriai Roiyaru (Meaning Sunset Royal in Japanese)
Race: Saurian
Height: 7 1/2 ft
Weight: I'll have to get back to you on that...
Class: Dragon Mage
Description: Iriai is completely covered in small white scales that are tightly linked together. Her wide eyes are purple with a small hint of orange around the edges. Her irises are slitted, but it doesn't make her look scary or mean. Her silver hair is short, and is styled like this: http://images.wikia.com/pandorahearts/images/5/59/Break.jpg Except it doesn't quite cover her left eye. White dragon wings sprout from her shoulders and she has a long whip-like tail of the same color. Her hands and feet both have claws on them, but they aren't sharp enough for really hurting someone.
History: Iriai is the daughter of the current Dragon Lord of the Saurian tribe. She grew restless, always staying in the same place, never able to go out to see the world. So one day she gathered up her belongings and left the tribe to seek adventure. Her clothes look like this: http://i1036.photobucket.com/albums/a442/Mr_Pohls_Demon/Anime/Warrior.jpg except they are a blue green color.

Health: 16
Vigor: 20
Fate: 1
Toughness: 0
Mobility: 35 feet
Trait: Born Magician +2 Mind

Vitality: 6
Strength: 5
Dexterity: 5
Agility: 10
Mind: 10
Will: 10

Skills: Elemental
Enchanting
Survival
Equipment: Long Bow, Wooden Arrows x10, Quarterstaff, Leather Armor, Traveler’s Robe, Dagger
Knapsack: Flute that was her mother's, and also the first item she has ever succeeded in enchanting. It has a (roll 1d20 +10 +will vs opponent's 1d20 + will) chance of charming a monster, or putting both people and monsters to sleep (http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv121/Ashellote_Maedel/legend-of-zelda-spirit-tracks-link-spirit-flute.jpg) Fountain Pen, Sketch Book
Gold: 65
(Pic made by Bio! <3)

@)}~`,~
Diamond Dragon

Postby josh_manga » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:38 pm

Nice combination of skills and equipment!

The enchanted flute is a nice touch, however, a flat 50% of success seems a bit high.
If it were me, i'd change it to: roll 1d20 +10 +will vs opponent's 1d20 + will.

10/20 = 1/2 = 50% so it works kinda the same, but it factors will into the equation, which is a variable. Creatures of stronger will are going to have more resistance to your charms, and guardsmen with high determination are going to fight to stay awake, even if they don't know why they suddenly have this urge to pass out.

Character Approved!

We still need 2 more players though for this to start, from what i understand, correct? I've been asking around, you both might do so as well.

EDIT: After looking over the rules, it seems we don't need 4 players, we need "enough" players. I think we could do this with just two, if the two of you are comfortable with that. Raider mentioned a couple other classes we might need, buuuuuuut... those could be NPC's, aannnnnnnd... i'm not a strengent supporter of the "holy trinity" of RPG classes anyway. Alsooooo..... We may have other players soon.

I mentioned this to the Moderator who approved the game, we may have a couple players from off sight as well (if they ever get their behinds in gear and start posting) and until then i have permission to control at least ONE of their characters, which will give the party a paladin. I figure, they post to me, i clean it up and post it here. You post here, i copy and post it to them. A little slower that way, and if i can talk them into it, maybe i can get them to join here instead, fewer steps that way.

As i said, one's a Paladin, the other is a Ranger, and another is pure Fighter. I mentioned somewhere above that i had been running a game on facebook, and those are the players i had there.

HOWEVER, if the Moderators do not approve of this (if they misunderstood what i meant before) or if you the players do not wish to do it this way, then we won't. I'm totally up to whatever you decide.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
God bless us, everyone.
j.smith.
josh_manga

Postby Diamond Dragon » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:28 am

It really doen't matter with me, but I WOULD like to RP with your friends! (I forgot to mention, thanks for the compliment Joseph!)
(Pic made by Bio! <3)

@)}~`,~
Diamond Dragon

Postby josh_manga » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:03 pm

i spoke with both my friends and they are interested. One of them still has no internet of his own, so we may start without him and catch him up later.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
God bless us, everyone.
j.smith.
josh_manga

Postby Diamond Dragon » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:31 pm

Ok! Can't wait to meet them! :D
(Pic made by Bio! <3)

@)}~`,~
Diamond Dragon

Postby josh_manga » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:50 pm

Diamond,

Small, eensy, weensy, edit for you. Your Mind should be 12, not 10, because you took the Born Magician Trait. ;)

So much the better!
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
God bless us, everyone.
j.smith.
josh_manga

Next

Return to RPGs and Roleplaying