Haibane Renmei RPG

This is where all in character roleplaying occurs. Please note that posts in this forum do not count toward your post count, and that old threads are subject to periodic prunination!

Haibane Renmei RPG

Postby rocklobster » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:11 am

I just finished watching Haibane Renmei and thought "What a great RPG this would make!" So, I thought, why not?
Here is the premise:
Welcome to the town of Glie, a town where angel-like creatures called the Haibane and humans co-exist. The Haibane are unable to fly and spend most of their lives working for the humans. They are unable to make money at the jobs, nor can they own anything that isn't hand-me-down. Every Haibane enters the world through a cocoon. When they emerge, they are given a halo and a name that has to do with the dream they had in the cocoon. After that, something very painful happens: the wings come out, and they are officially Haibane. The town is an otherwise blissful utopia, despite the fact that no one is allowed to leave the town. Its only contact with the outside world is with people called the Toga, who only communicate with the Haibane Renmei, the Haibane's governing body. Here are the rules:
1. You are allowed up to three characters. You can be either Haibane or human.
2. If you are Haibane, you have two choices for wing colors: grey or black. If you have black wings, you are Sin-bound, which means your sins in your previous life were so great that they are weighing you down. If this is your situation, keep in mind that it doesn't necessarily mean anything bad, but you may be an outcast and will have to keep your wings covered because no human must ever know this dark secret about the Haibane.
3. Most of the characters from the anime are available. The exceptions are Reki and Kuu, because this story takes place after the events in the anime. You are also unable to choose Rakka, because I will be playing her.
4. The Haibane live in two places: Old Home and Abandoned Factory. They did have some "bad blood" between them in the anime, but because our story takes place afterward, I think we should act as though the rift between both places has been healed.
5. Concerning the technology in Glie: From what I saw in the anime, most of the modern conveniences we have don't exist. One of the Haibane had a motor scooter, but for the most part, they travel by bicycle or by walking. (Their wings don't work.) I also saw some episodes where the Haibane and humans were using electric heaters and stoves. There are also various windmills on the outskirts of town. I also saw light bulbs and fixtures in some places. Because of these scenes, I think we should stick to technology that was available at the beginning of the twentieth century, so no cell phones, computers, or the like.
6. The Haibane are actually...humans who have already died! So the dreams are actually how they died in their previous life. This should help in coming up with how your character should be named

Here are two example applications using the characters I will be playing. One is human and the other is Haibane.
Character 1: Rakka
Name: Rakka (means "dropping" or "falling")
Type: Haibane
Hair: Brown
Wings: Charcoal grey
Bio: Rakka is a very shy child who is quite clinging to those she cares about. She is usually quiet and says very little, yet the others don't seem to mind. [spoiler] She was once Sin-bound and accidentally disobeyed the rule about touching the outside walls of the town. As a result, she is being punished by having to clean the "light leaves" off the walls of the underground caverns of the temple. She takes her punishment with the correct, repentant attitude.
Character 2: Joseph
Name: Joseph
Type: Human
Hair: Black, also has a goatee
Bio: Joseph is the owner of the thrift shop in town (note: the anime didn't give this character a name, so I made one up.). As a result, he gets lots of business from the Haibane. He doesn't seem to mind, in fact he actually enjoys their business. He even goes through the trouble of making wing slits in the clothes for them.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby ClosetOtaku » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:45 am

I haven't participated in RPGs before -- and this is a fairly niche one -- but I like your enthusiasm, so I'll agree to give it a go. After all, it's like a multi-author fanfic...

WARNING: SPOILERS FOLLOW

Character 3: Sumika
Type: Human
Hair: Brown
Wings: None
Bio: Sumika worked at the Library at one time, and was a mentor for Nemu (a Haibane of Old Home) for many years. Sumika is now a stay-at-home mom with her infant child. However, Sumika has the habit of dropping hints about cryptic goings-on in the town (such as The Beginning of the World and the Ruins in the Western Woods). She is a source of information that isn't typically available from...

Character 4: Washi (Communicator)
Type: Uncertain (Human? Failed Haibane? Former Haibane?)
Hair: ???
Wings: None
Bio: Washi is the town's Communicator and the head Priest (for lack of a better name/title) at the Temple of the Haibane Renmei. He is always dressed in long hooded robes, walks with a strange cane, and wears a mask which hides his features. He is gruff, and is not known for being particularly kind, at least in public. As the Communicator, he is responsible for 'talking' with the Touga, tradesmen from outside of the city Wall. He also has a knack for showing up in the Town's most inhospitable places (e.g. the Western Woods) on very short notice.

Character 5: Nemu ('Sleep')
Type: Haibane
Hair: Dark Brown
Wings: Charcoal Grey
Bio: Nemu is the oldest Haibane at Old Home (and, having been in Guri/Glie nine years, may be the oldest Haibane of all nests). She is on the verge of her Day of Flight, her friend Reki having taken hers recently. She works at the Library. Nemu is a very spiritual character, believing thoroughly in God, although her beliefs (as reflected in 'The Beginning of the World') take a very dim view of the Haibane, thinking them to be 'mistakes'.
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." -- C.S. Lewis
ClosetOtaku

Postby rocklobster » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:13 am

Great job, Closetotaku! WOuld you like to be co-GM with me if this works out?
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby ClosetOtaku » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:23 am

rocklobster (post: 1239167) wrote:Great job, Closetotaku! WOuld you like to be co-GM with me if this works out?

It would be my pleasure.
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." -- C.S. Lewis
ClosetOtaku

Return to RPGs and Roleplaying