Birds of a Feather

This is where all in character roleplaying occurs. Please note that posts in this forum do not count toward your post count, and that old threads are subject to periodic prunination!

Birds of a Feather

Postby Felix » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:10 am

Hullo everyone. This is going to be a fairly simple RP, because I know from experience that overly complex RPs tend to be cumbersome and ultimately fail.
There will be some story and plot advancement to this RP but mostly it will be a place where you can chill out and have fun.
Let's go. :D

Summary:
We are part of colony of birds that lives in a big oak tree in a park in the middle of a nondescript town/city. The colony isn't just a normal bird colony; it's made up of a motley collection of all types of birds. Any bird is welcome, but the colony is most especially a safe haven and a family for those birds who have been abandoned and/or have no other home.

Locations:
There are a few notable locations in this RP. Others will be discovered or made up as the game progresses.

The Park - The park where the colony lives. It is pretty big (at least by bird standards). The park is completely surrounded by a high metal fence, except at its north, south, east and west exits, which are blocked at night by a gate. At the north gate is a tall archway with a spire on top.

Havenbow - The great oak tree where the colony lives. It resides in the center of The Park. A large section of the inside of the tree is hollow out, creating a big cave-like room. Despite this, the tree is still alive, and except in winter it is always thick with foliage.

The Roost - Though the tree is called Havenbow, the hollowed-out cave inside the tree is referred to as the Roost. There is a knothole high in Havenbow's branches that serves as the main door leading into the Roost. There is also a rear passage which leads out from the tree underground between its roots. This is almost exclusively used for emergencies.
Most of the Roost is made up of the one large room inside the tree, but there are some passages that lead to separate rooms. There are crisscrossing root-like "beams" that stretch across the Roost near the top. This is where most of the birds sleep. The floor of the Roost is covered in straw, grass, and other such things (bird droppings too, I bet.)

The Spire - The spire on top of the arch at the north gate of the Park is simply referred to as the Spire. It is a favorite hangout spot for many of the birds, and also doubles as a lookout post, since it is up higher than anything else in the park and gives a nice view of everything in the park.

Other details worth knowing (Will probably be added to in the future):
The young birds are forbidden from travelling beyond the Park's boundaries (the fence). They are also forbidden to get to close to a human, and extra forbidden to touch a human or take food from one.
Many of the bolder younglings disobey though. A favorite game for them is to dare each other to see who will fly the furthest past the fence, or who has the guts to get closest to a human.

Though a lot of the birds in the colony are young, there are a fair number of adult birds, and a few Elders, who act as leaders to the colony as well as mentors to the young ones.

The birds of Havenbow are reasonably safe from predators inside the park, since they are in the middle of a town, and wild animals are almost noexistent. Still, there are cats and other animals that would love to get a piece of them, so they still have to be wary.

Notable characters:
Info will come soon...

[color="Red"][SIZE="4"]Rules (please read)[/SIZE]
Nothing scary, but there's a few basic rules to this RP.

*You character(s) must first be accepted before you can start posting.

*1 or 2 characters max. Depending on how many people join, you may be able to make a third if you so desire.

*Have fun, but treat the RP seriously and don't be a total goober.

*No cussing or questionable terms.

*All posts must be written in third person perspective. It should read like a book.

Example:
Sally walked outside and smiled up at the sky. "Wow, it's a beautiful day!" she exclaimed.

Do NOT write something like:
Sally: *walks outside and looks up at the sky* Wow, it's a beautiful day!

*Absolutely NO Godmoding. I frown severely on Godmoding. If you don't know what it is, Godmoding is one of several things:
1) Taking control of someone else's character without their permission, or forcing someone's character to do or say something that they wouldn't ordinally do.
2) Radically altering the plot sequence by making something totally absurd happen. If in doubt, just use your common sense and be rational.
3) Having your character do something practically impossible or know something that he/she couldn't possibly know, like reading another characters thoughts or always knowing when danger is nearby.

Examples of Godmoding:

1) Sally was watering her flowers when she spotted her neighbor Fred (who for the sake of this example is person B's character) setting up a tire swing for his son. "Good morning!" Sally called to Fred, who looked up from his task and smiled at her. "Good morning yourself Sally."

Although that may be what Fred would actually have said in that situation, it may not be what person B has in mind, so it's best to leave that part out.

2) Sally was driving down the road on her way to the corner store to buy some bread when she noticed a shadow come across the sun. She leaned over the steering wheel and cried out in alarm. An airplane was streaking low across the sky, flames spewing from both of its engines. It was going to crash and it was headed straight for town!

Exciting as this is, it totally ruins whatever the GM may have had in mind for what happens next in this story. If you ask have the GM's permission for altering the story, then that's okay and you can feel free to do so.

3) Person A's post:
Sally stared through the window at the stranger, smitten by his handsome face and tan skin. She watched him cross the street and enter the drug store. She wanted to meet him.

Person B's post:
Jackson was halfway through the drug store's doors when he paused, sensing someone's eyes on his back. He turned and met the gaze of a pretty woman with blonde hair. She was across the street, watching him from the window of Hannah's Hair and Nails. He could tell that she was smitten with him, and that she wanted to meet him.

It's highly improbable that Jackson could have known that she was watching him, known that she was smitten with him, AND known that she wanted to meet him. Hopefully you have a good idea of what I mean, and will stay away from doing this.

I apologize for that lengthy description of Godmoding, but I just want to be sure that it is clear to everyone. [/color]

Character Sheet.
Use this, or something similar to it to make your character(s):

Name:
Age: (A human year is VERY roughly about 5 bird years, so a 3-year old bird would be around 15ish... an adolescent. Use this chart if you need a little help:
1-4 years = young bird
4-8 years = young adult bird
8-11 years = mature adult bird
12+ years = elder bird)
Type of bird: (NOTE: although I said that it can be pretty much any type of bird, be reasonable. I am more thinking along the lines of small types of bird, so no eagles, albatrosses, etc.)

Physical description/characteristics:

History:
Personality:

That's it for now, because I have to run to work. I'll add some more details soon. Hope to see you join!
Felix

Postby silver_wolf454 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:26 pm

Hmm interesting consept may I have a raven?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[SIZE="3"][color="Green"]Banner art by: Shao-Feng-Li[/color][/SIZE]

"I am but mad north-north west. When the wind is southerly....I know a hawk from a handsaw."- Hamlet, Shakespeare's Hamlet

[color="DarkOrchid"] "There's rosemary - that's for remembrance. And there is pansies - that's for thoughts." [/color] -Ophelia, Shakespeare's Hamlet
silver_wolf454

Postby Chibiringo » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:57 pm

Sounds fun...I might join. ^_^
Chibiringo

Postby Felix » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:58 am

A raven would be fine. :D

I would be glad to have you, Chibiringo! ^^
Felix

Postby Felix » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:20 pm

Sorry for the double post, but here's some extra info that I forgot to put in earlier. For the physical description part of the character sheet, it is basically for putting in extra info about how your bird appears. For instance like if it has a crown or a special plume of feathers... or discoloring or something. Something that may make it different from how that type of bird would normally appear.

Also, there can be cross-breed birds, which are kinda like mutts. They can appear pretty much anyway you want. ^^
Felix

Postby Chibiringo » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:37 pm

Name: Jade
Type of bird: Goldfinch
Physical description/characteristics: Apart from most godlfinches she has very light blue eyes and at the tip of her beak a little scratch in the shape of a heart.
History: has been at the park for most of her life
Personality: Sweet, shy, kind, loving.
Chibiringo

Postby Felix » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:55 pm

Welcome! I love your character. ^_^ Thou art axepted!
Felix

Postby Chibiringo » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:59 pm

XD;; Thank you!
Chibiringo

Postby Tsukuyomi » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:07 pm

Hmmm, is this like a metaphoric type things? Like, others see us as birds, but to us birds, we see each others as humans or are we just simply birds o.o Like the fence is like a barrier blocking us from the outside world and stuff like that o.o?
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Felix » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:21 pm

Um. Well let's put it this way. We are human-like, we have human emotions, speech, etc. but we know that we are birds. We know what humans are, but we can't understand them and vica versa. There's like an "animal language" that we talk in, so for instance we could talk to a cat, or a squirrel or a bat or something, but we can't talk to humans. The birds do know of the world outside the park, but the younger ones don't know very much about it. Hope that clears up your question ^^;

I can't edit my original post now, so I'll have to put my characters here.

Name: Toby
Bird Type: Red-breasted Nuthatch

Appearance: Being a nuthatch, he is somewhat small compared to the other young birds. (Picture) Other than the normal way a nuthatch looks, Toby has thicker plumes of feathers on either side of his face, giving him the impression of having something like sideburns.

Personality: Although he is young, Toby is actually fairly smart and mature for his age. He is brave, but not foolish.
Information/History: The elder Graham found Toby alone outside the south gate when Toby was only 3 weeks old and still unable to fly. Graham cared for him until he could fly and find food on his own. Now he acts like a grandfather figure to him.

Name: Graham
Bird Type: Eastern Phoebe

Appearance: (Image)

Personality: Thoughtful and calm. Thinks rationally and rarely overreacts.
Information/History: One of the only living members of the original birds who started the colony in Havenbow. He is second in command amongst the elders.

Name: Brock
Bird Type: Blue Jay

Appearance: He is big for a Blue Jay, and quite strong. His "crown" is more obvious than most, sticking up a bit further than the usual blue jay crown.

Personality: He's a daredevil and slightly cocky, but he usually has good intentions. He isn't particularly smart. Tries to solve most of his problems by using his strength.
Information/History: Unlike a great many of the young birds in the colony, he was born into the colony and isn't an orphan. His parents are both normal sized blue jays, which makes Brock look even larger when next to them.
Felix

Postby silver_wolf454 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:57 pm

Name: echo
Type of bird: raven
Physical description/characteristics: black plumage with yellow eyes and black feet
History: as a chick Echo fell from his nest some humans fed him and released him into the wild again
Personality: quiet and a bit reclusive
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[SIZE="3"][color="Green"]Banner art by: Shao-Feng-Li[/color][/SIZE]

"I am but mad north-north west. When the wind is southerly....I know a hawk from a handsaw."- Hamlet, Shakespeare's Hamlet

[color="DarkOrchid"] "There's rosemary - that's for remembrance. And there is pansies - that's for thoughts." [/color] -Ophelia, Shakespeare's Hamlet
silver_wolf454

Postby Felix » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:44 pm

Good character ^^ You're axepted.
Felix

Postby Felix » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:32 pm

YAY! \^_^/ Love to have you here DM. Your character's great, welcome aboard!
Felix

Postby Chibiringo » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:51 am

Name: Red...I know so original. XD
Type of bird: Cardinal
Physical description/characteristics: While having an unusal tall spiked up tuft of hair on his head his wings have black edges, his beak also just has a little black dot close to his nostril.
History: Red has been by himself since he was born. His family left his egg behind since they thought he would never hatch. Being in the woods and almost getting eaten many times by all of the animals there he flew to a city where he found a park.
Personality: Sarcastic, funny, strange...almost awkward. ¬_¬
Chibiringo

Postby Felix » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:34 am

^_^ Yay! Love the second character. *stamps it with the seal of approval*
Felix

Postby ChristianKitsune » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:45 am

I am kinda interested in joiningthis!

Give me a few horus and I might even have a character sketched out XD if..thats okay?
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Felix » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:34 am

:3 Of course! Take as long as you need, there's no rush. A sketch of your character would be awesome! ^_^ I would be glad to have you in this.
Felix

Return to RPGs and Roleplaying