[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5080: mysql_connect(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5106: mysql_query(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5106: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5107: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given
Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely - CAA: Christian Anime Alliance

Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely

This is where all in character roleplaying occurs. Please note that posts in this forum do not count toward your post count, and that old threads are subject to periodic prunination!

Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely

Postby Kawaiikneko » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:38 pm

OPEN

'Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men.' - Lord Acton, 1887

"When people say they can do anything, they’re usually using a literary device called a hyperbole – an exaggeration. When I say I can do anything, I’m really telling the truth. Well, mostly. When my powers contradict what another Absolute is trying to do, the powers cancel each other out. Absolute is what we call ourselves, I think. That’s what I was told when I met another Absolute, but he was kinda weird so he might have been pulling my leg. I never asked the others.

I’m a very young Absolute compared to some others. I still look like what my age really is. The other Absolutes I’ve met have been keeping themselves looking however young they want for years.

They say absolute power corrupts absolutely. I haven’t given into that corruption yet. Sure, I might act on a little impulse here and there, but generally I keep myself under control. Unfortunately, ‘yet’ is an ambiguous word. Who knows how long I’ll be able to hold out.

It’s been a long time since I saw another Absolute. I like it this way. I’m in a nice, normal high school living a normal life with my real parents. They don’t know what I am, but that’s okay. There’s no way they’d be able to understand. I guess eventually I’ll have to fake my death and change the way I look so they won’t be suspicious.

I’ve noticed strange things happening at school lately. People seem to forget things they shouldn’t forget and people who should never have become friends are hanging out. Maybe I’m overreacting, but I think there’s another Absolute here in Apple Creek High School. I tried to use my powers to find him, but I didn’t sense anyone. He must be contradicting me… I wonder why he’s hiding."

- Regan Marie Stoker, September 15

-----

Years ago there was an Absolute named Lain who was as evil as they come. Using her powers coupled with a terrifying intelligence (especially for finding loopholes so she never contradicted anyone), Lain did whatever she pleased with little regard for the troubles of others. She amassed a large group of followers, as well as her fair share of enemies. Over time she basically ruled over the Absolutes in a sort of underground empire.

One day she suddenly disappeared, along with her empire. Some believe she is dead, but many of her followers and enemies believe she is still alive. This belief has spawned a search of epic proportions – some searching to regain their fallen leader, and some searching to destroy her once and for all.

--- --- ---

Alright, you can play as an Absolute or a normal person, and both roles will be involved in the story (which involves the Absolutes searching for Lain). Keep in mind that most mature Absolutes – even the ones working against Lain – are not the nicest people. Many of them use their powers for their own ambitions and are pretty prideful (they can do everything). There's also a sort of unwritten rule that they don't let the normal people know about their powers. It just leads to unpleasant things, and whenever an Absolute reveals themselves other Absolutes usually cover up the evidence, clear memories, and the like.

The Story starts in Apple Creek, a small town in the country, at Apple Creek High School.
So, fill out your stuff with this form:

Name:
Absolute or normal:
Age (in the case of Absolutes fill in apparent age and actual age):
Appearance (please don’t include clothing unless it’s like a type… people change clothes every day):
Personality:
History:
EDIT: If your character is an Asbsolute then put their views on Lain (ie. chasing, apathetic, thinks she's evil, or is on her side) Think of her like Hitler. Almost EVERYONE has an opinion on Hitler because he affected our society so much. Lain is like that - except not as racist and insane.

If you want to list yourself as a human and reveal later that you’re an Absolute, you can do that, but PM me beforehand. People don’t become Absolutes, they’re born as one; so you can’t change your mind halfway through.

You may have two characters to start. If you want more, PM and we’ll see.

RULES (READ AND FOLLOW PLEASE)

1. No god-moding – Yes, even in an rp where anything can happen there can still be god-moding.

a. Reading thoughts - Absolutes can know other people’s thoughts, but if someone says beforehand that their thoughts CAN’T be read then you can’t do it to them. You would also have to detail in one of your previous posts that your character had made it so he/she can read thoughts. That being said, most Absolutes can't read each others thoughts.

b. Controlling people – I guess it would make sense that an Absolute could control a normal human, but I would ask that you PM the person in control of the character before you do it, simply as a matter of politeness. Absolutes can't control other absolutes.

c. Being invincible – This could happen, but let’s not go overboard. Also, in the case of two Absolutes fighting, unless one can think up a loophole so that it won't be contradicted, no one can be invincible.

d. Being perfect – Absolutes are not perfect moral beings. Your characters should have problems of some kind.

2. USE GOOD GRAMMAR. And just so I stress how important this is, let me say it again. USE GOOD GRAMMAR. Please.

3. Feel free to make up mini-plots. It makes it fun. Anything major, check with me.

4. I reserve the rights to think up new rules =]

Name: Regan Marie Stoker
Absolute or normal: Absolute
Appearance: Short, redhead, straight back-length hair, green eyes, freckles
Personality: Cautious, intelligent, keeps to her group of friends, but isn’t shy, scared she’s going to become evil, doesn’t really like the other Absolutes she’s met, can be sarcastic when she’s uneasy or unsure what else to say. Can be prideful and hypocritical.
History: Regan is still a young Absolute – she lives with the parents she was actually born to and has never used her powers to fake a death or make herself younger (permanently). When she was thirteen she met a very strange man who was also an Absolute (and told her the name Absolute). He, along with some other Absolutes she’s met, has given her a bad impression of Absolutes. Because of this encounter, she’s afraid that she’ll end up using her powers for selfish ambition or at the expense of normal people. Because of this she’s never made much of an effort to make contact with the rest of the Absolute community.

Name: Brian Nelson
Normal
Appearance: Curly brown hair, tall, skinny, square jaw, blue eyes, hockey player
History: Regan’s boyfriend of half a year. He’s not always the brightest crayon in the box when it comes to school, but he’s fun to be around and Regan likes him. He’s the oldest of four kids and is the captain of the hockey team. Thinks he’s on the top of the world.
Kawaiikneko

Postby Kawaiikneko » Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:39 pm

Yeah you can use Romain. Just modify him for the rp.

No real age limits. An Absolute can be thousands of years old but look seventeen. You could even have their apparent age change every post if you wanted. Same with appearance, I suppose.

Well... if you place your characters in Timbuktu they might have a hard time connecting with the storyline, but if you REALLLYY want to then be my guest. =] Characters don't necessarily have to be in the school system, but somehow close in the area would be good.
Kawaiikneko

Postby Kawaiikneko » Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:06 pm

accepted! =]

*does the get-more-people dance* COME ONNN!!
Kawaiikneko

Postby Danyasaur » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:02 pm

WIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!! . . . . I mean. . . . WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

Name: Craig "Crunch" Vilo

Absolute or normal: Absoloute

Appearance: Straight Blonde moppy hair. Gold eyes. He's tall (about 6'3") and lanky. He's verry untidy about his apearance, which shows through his unkept hair and the holes that seem to be in most all his clothes. He also has a certain ZooYork mesh hat in five differant colors that he's never seen without. Carrys skateboard with him everywhere.

Personality: Laid back. . . . VERRY laid back. Can be sarcastic and witty, but usually doesn't like making the effort. Doesn't really care much about anyone but himself, so he isn't afraid to step on some people if the need arises.

History: Skate punk born in the late 60's. He's not terribly OLD like alot of absoloutes he's known *coughcough*. He was about 16 when he got into the skateboard movement in the 80's and still hasn't really exited that period of his life when it comes to behavior, clothing, music; though he likes alot of the newer skate clothes and music, ect. He got the nickname 'Crunch' when he beefed a skate trick and broke his neck, surviving by a "miracle" as the humans would call it. He faked his first death 6 years ago and decided to go to highschool again just for fun. He's on his senior year.

View on Lain: Doesn't really care too much about taking sides, though from what he's heard about her he thinks she's a genius.
[color="DimGray"]I don't believe that I would die if I saw you face to face;
but that my spirit would become so alive it took my body's place.

- Danya[/color]
Danyasaur

Postby Kawaiikneko » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:07 pm

yaaay love you accepted.
Kawaiikneko

Postby Felix » Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:01 pm

Name: Mullin Bancroft
Apparent age: 27
Actual Age: 811
Height: 6'1"
Build: Slender
Appearance: Silky black hair slightly past shoulder length usually tied back in a ponytail. Sharp eyes and high cheek bones. Amber eyes.
Personality: Odd. Likes using big words. Can be a prankster and finds great hilarity at the expense of others.
History: One of the top men in Lain's organization. He was her confidant, bodyguard, and personal friend. He is currently searching for her.
Felix

Postby Yumie » Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:32 am

Oh, yay! A fun looking RP! And a lot of good RPers on board. Wow, can't pass this up.

Name: Ebenezer Caleb Logan

Absolute or normal: Normal

Appearance: Aside from his outstanding blue eyes, *Caleb is a fairly average looking fellow. He's a smidge shorter than most of the other guys his age, something he's lamented since the day he turned 17 when he seemed to stop growing. He has short-cropped black hair which he spikes with gel (he's glad for any additional height he can muster.) He was never naturally very muscularly cut, but recently he's been working out. He's still hardly what you would call buff, but his efforts are starting to show.

Personality: *Caleb is quirky and outgoing. Some would say he's borderline shameless. He has a sense of humor and isn't afraid to show it. In fact, he's often guilty of using it at times when humor is entirely innappropriate, but as shameless as he is, he's not bothered by that.

History: *"Ebenezer" was the name that Caleb was given at birth in honor of his deceased grandfather. It is a name he thoroughly despises, not just because it is uncommon (he's never met another Ebenezer in his life) and therefore regarded by most as odd, but also because of the obnoxious nicknames he picked up when he started grade-school-- nicknames like "Scrooge" and "Sneezer." So, when Caleb started highschool, he made a firm decision that he would no longer go by his first-name, but rather assume his middle name. None of his friends know about this dark secret of his past. (Threw that sentence in just for you, Tee. I know how much you love dark, secret pasts. :lol: )

Is He OK? I'd also like to create an Absolute female, but I wasn't sure if you may have a preference about her age since it seems like there are going to be quite a few teenage Absolutes. Maybe I could make her appear to be in her mid-twenties and a teacher at Apple Creek High?
Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art
Thou my best Thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

Be Thou my Wisdom, and Thou my true Word;
I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord;
Thou my great Father, I Thy true son;
Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.

Be Thou my battle Shield, Sword for the fight;
Be Thou my Dignity, Thou my Delight;
Thou my soul’s Shelter, Thou my high Tower:
Raise Thou me heavenward, O Power of my power.

Riches I heed not, nor man’s empty praise,
Thou mine Inheritance, now and always:
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,
High King of Heaven, my Treasure Thou art.

High King of Heaven, my victory won,
May I reach Heaven’s joys, O bright Heaven’s Sun!
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all.
Yumie

Postby Kawaiikneko » Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:45 pm

he's fine =] And I'd love to have another Absolute in the game. It's near the start of the school year, so if she's a part of the Lain search taking a teaching position is a good...uh... scouting position or something. :lol: Do whatever you want.

edit: I might also end up making a small army of NPCs that we can all play to just advance the story, prank, or have friends (without me playing tons of parts). =]
Kawaiikneko

Postby Felix » Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:53 pm

Yay! NPC armies! Sounds like great fun.
Felix

Postby Kawaiikneko » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:57 am

Feel free to contribute to the NPC army =] I'll just past them all into this post

NPC Army - Anyone can play these people to move the story along.

Name: Charity Wise
Normal
Appearance: The stereotypical perfect girl. Nice face, skinny, blonde hair, and blue eyes. Her one imperfection (in her eyes) is a single freckle just right of her nose.
Personality: She’s not the brightest crayon in the box (once asked during a review in history class “Wait, which side was Abraham Lincoln on?â€
Kawaiikneko

Postby Kawaiikneko » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:59 am

[spot saved in case NPC Army runs over]
Kawaiikneko

Postby Mega.EXE » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:11 am

Name: Kikumaru Keigo
Appearance: Whitish blond hair usually wears pants and a no-sleeve shirt and a cap
Personality:Kikumaru is Arrogant and thinks he is all high and mighty but infact he is XD
History: He isn't aware of his power. He lives his everyday life Above evryone else, not realizing that he is so amazing because he is an Absolute.
Mega.EXE

Postby Kawaiikneko » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:10 am

Sounds good, but be a little more specific in your history like you told me in the PM. =]
Kawaiikneko

Postby Mega.EXE » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:24 am

There ya go (Excactly) like it was in the PM XD
Mega.EXE

Postby Kawaiikneko » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:42 am

yaaay *cheers*
Kawaiikneko

Postby Mega.EXE » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:30 pm

*Mega snaps which makes the crowd say* "Chouso Me~ga! Let's go let's go Me~ga!"
Mega.EXE

Postby Yumie » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:30 pm

Name: Miley Camryn Parson

Absolute or Normal: Absolute

Appearance: Miley has almond shaped cyan eyes. Her hair is a deep shade of nutmeg with honey highlights throughout. She is small in stature at 5'5", with a shapely figure and smooth, fair skin. She has a button-shaped nose and small, porcelain doll lips that lend to a youthful appearance.

Personality: Miley is a woman who can responsibly take charge over any situation. She is very authoritative and commands attention well.

History: Miley discovered that she had unique powers when she was seven years old. By the time she was thirteen, she was able to understand the scope of her powers, but she didn't know where they came from or why she had them. When she was fourteen, however, she met another Absolute, a thirty year-old woman who told her things about the history of Absolutes. She gave Miley a detailed account of the life of a power-hungry woman named Lain. The woman told Miley that most thought Lain to still be out there somewhere, and that there were many absolutes who were searching for her for various reasons. The woman speculated that if the wrong absolutes found her, with their help, she could return to power. Miley decided right then that if there was anything she could do to stop that from happening, she'd like to. When she was twenty-three, she heard about an organization of Absolutes who's mission was to find Lain and bring her to justice for all her crimes against humanity. She joined this group that called itself "The Seekers." There were Seekers spread out all across the country, looking for more Absolutes to convert to their cause. Miley was dissapointed with her assignment, at first: she was to assume a teaching position at a small school in a country town called Apple Creek, Ohio. However, when she expressed her dissapointment to another Absolute, he informed her that half their converts came from small country towns such as these, because only in small towns could kids with such amazing powers go unnoticed. He assured her that something productive would come of her work at Apple Creek High.

Yumie

Postby Kawaiikneko » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:39 pm

She's your character Yumie... you choose why you want her to be looking for Lain. Either way is fine by me.
Kawaiikneko

Postby Mega.EXE » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:43 pm

Kawaii-San I'm gonna make some changes to meh character hai?
Mega.EXE

Postby Kawaiikneko » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:46 pm

No that's a character from an anime series, not an original character. Please change it.
Kawaiikneko

Postby Yumie » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:51 pm

Kawaiikneko wrote:She's your character Yumie... you choose why you want her to be looking for Lain. Either way is fine by me.

Aah, Ok, cool! I wasn't sure if you had something particular in mind for her. But it'll be fun getting to choose if she's good or evil. . . *rubs hands together*

Yumie

Postby Mega.EXE » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:12 pm

Kawaiikneko wrote:No that's a character from an anime series, not an original character. Please change it.

I'll just make it more original then
Mega.EXE

Postby Kawaiikneko » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:20 pm

pretty good... a little background please on why he has a Japanese name. There's not a ton of Japanese immigrants in Apple Creek, Ohio - which is a small town near Amish country. I say Japanese immigrant because most American-born Japanese have more American friendly names. Also, why is his hair blonde if he's Japanese? Did he dye it?

being picky, but for good reason ^^;
Kawaiikneko

Postby Mega.EXE » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:38 pm

Forgot to add this but his father is Japanese and his mother is American he looks like he is all American so they decided to give him a Japanese name
Mega.EXE

Postby Yumie » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:38 pm

Ok, I edited Miley's history. You'll probably want to check it for any problems, Tee, I made up a bunch of stuff, and some of it may not jive with your plot.

Yumie

Postby Kawaiikneko » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:33 pm

Looks great. I was hoping there would be some organization like that. =]
Kawaiikneko

Postby Yumie » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:00 am

Kawaiikneko wrote:Looks great. I was hoping there would be some organization like that. =]

Oh, good then! ^_^

Yumie

Postby insanewitapen » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:01 pm

Name: Cleotia Nyphillut

Actual Age: around 3,000

Apparent Age: 29

Gender: Female (though she has posed as men when the need arose to gain power)

Appearance: For this life she has chosen her natural birth-given appearance, Egyptian. She has shoulder length sleek jet black hair with thin piercing green eyes. She is slender with long limbs and her height is a dominating 6’2. Her attire consists of black clothing (or any other color that can be intimidating) and many suits.

Personality: Dominating, harsh, strict, and to the point. She does not tolerate stupidity or failure. Humor has found no place in her and should be safely avoided when in her presence. By herself or amongst “friendsâ€
[color="LemonChiffon"]Perfect World International
Llux-Sanctuary[/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[color="LemonChiffon"]My DeviantArt[/color]
insanewitapen

Postby Kawaiikneko » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:10 pm

Looks fine... I'm not sure how old Lain is.. she might be older than 2000 years <.<;; I haven't decided yet. In any case, their reigns may have overlapped. We'll deal with it when we come to it. XDD *lazy*

Since I'm lazy you'll probably be fine leaving it as is. The organization thing is fine.
Kawaiikneko

Postby insanewitapen » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:12 pm

XD okay thankyou Tee~
[color="LemonChiffon"]Perfect World International
Llux-Sanctuary[/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[color="LemonChiffon"]My DeviantArt[/color]
insanewitapen

Next

Return to RPGs and Roleplaying