What up!

If you're new to CAA, we invite you to tell us about yourself here. This is the place to post your own bio or read up on other members. Be as in depth as you like!

What up!

Postby MIBuddy » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:37 am

Hello,

I'm... not sure if real name is really the point... I'm MIBuddy!

I write and entrepreneur and stuff, and recently got into anime. I love the style and how it combines youthfulness with the harsh edges; it feels like a combination of fun/young and serious.

So... yeah! Looking to make a living off my stuff someday. I guess you guys would be interested in it, so I'm planning on making either a light or graphic novel (not sure which) at the beginning of next year. It takes place 100 years in the past of a story I've been writing for the past four+ years (that story I'm hoping to make an anime in 2022). The reason I haven't started the light/graphic novel yet is I gotta plan and am trying to figure out whether I want to draw it myself or work with an artist; struggling because I feel like for the future, I'll need to learn how to draw well (mainly for communicating about the anime), so sorta wonder if it's worth working up to it with this!

I don't know if you guys are curious about anything else... I can't say much on those stories, but feel free to ask anyway if you want!
MIBuddy

Re: What up!

Postby ClaecElric4God » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:26 pm

Welcome, welcome.
Sorry for the late welcome, but it's good to have you here. That definitely sounds interesting! I hope it works out for you, and that we get a chance to see it!
Soooo...which is your favorite direction on the compass?
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby Kraavdran » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:07 am

Hello and welcome!

I am really curious to hear about the storyline of your novel. But, I can understand if you can't share it (since the story has not been published and such). I've been working on an anime-esque story as well, but I don't imagine that it will ever get published because I am not that great of a writer. It is always cool to hear of people like you, who know what you are doing, writing a story.

I know you have only gotten into anime recently, but I have to ask, what are some of your favorite anime?

Best of luck on your story (and illustrative work)!
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum et pereat mundus"
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kraavdran
Kraavdran

Postby MIBuddy » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:36 pm

@ClaecElric4God
Thank you! No problem, I just checked in again here myself!
My favorite direction on the compass is up!

@Kraavdran
Thank you!

I'm trying to figure out how much I want to say (in case there are any thoughts of it I'm not trying to play an "ask so I can say no" game... just figuring out what I want to share at this point). Even though aspects of it are pretty set, I'm of the mind that nothing's set in stone until it's published. :) ...though I've been working on it for the past four(?) years.

The novel is really a ton of shorter stories, but they center on the positive reasons an institution was built and how it benefited society, and then how it became corrupted. The anime continues after that.

But to be honest, though I was pretty set on either light novel or manga for the past several months, now I'm wondering if it would need to be multimedia (segments of anime)... I've worked in a lot of media so my intimidation is more on what I can handle, nothing intrinsic; and I have dozens of stories in my head, so I don't mind putting some of them off if they'd be better told later.

:( I feel bad that you think you're not that great of a writer, though I'm happy to be an inspiration! I might be able to help you out, I've taught one of my friends the cores of storytelling (helping him work on skits for children's ministry) and gained attention from a 10-yo co. with hundreds of published films for my writing approach. I could send you a link to my blog if you like (it focuses on core principles of stories and storytelling); I might also be able to talk to you one-on-one. I believe that anyone can write, and if you're interested I'd love to help you if I can at this time! (this link from my site talks about what I can teach: http://learn.storieslc.com/ but I'm not looking at charging you)

My favorite anime so far would have to be Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day, Shiro Bako (still haven't gotten to the second season though), Hanasaku Iroha, I loved Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and want to read the manga, I believe that as I get more into Gurren Laggann that will be a favorite as well. I've been sticking mostly with Slice of Life for now as I've had some stressers in life and needed a break from action.

Thank you!
MIBuddy

Postby Kraavdran » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:41 am

MIBuddy,

haha, no worries. I certainly understand not sharing storyline stuff. Even though I don't plan on publishing anything, I also don't share much about my stories and/or story ideas. So, understood! Just let us know if/when your story gets published :D

ooo, that does sound like an interesting story. I like the concept at least! Sounds like you have put quite a bit of thought into media/multimedia considerations... sounds exciting/fun!

haha, no worries about my not being the best writer. I mean, I guess I don't have much practice in writing fiction... so that might be why. But, also, I think that I'm more a "big idea" type of person. I've got many ideas (hopefully good ones), but I have a hard time (for various reasons) writing it in a full-length story. Admittedly, most of the problem with that is lack of work towards it. In short, I think that I could refine my work once I completed the novel... but I dislike writing unrefined work (research papers, unlike fiction, can be refined/planned a bit easier). Another aspect is that I have a hard time understanding whether something is well-written or not.

Although, hearing you talk about writing makes me want to start writing again. haha. So, maybe I'll try to give it some more effort. Thanks for the blog information, it really helped me understand what I might want to focus on (how to interact with the ideas I have vs not having ideas). I might private message you (so I don't hog all of your intro page) with some ideas in the near future. So thanks! Much appreciated.

In terms of anime, that looks like a nice list of favorites, although I'm unfamiliar with Anohana. That one looks interesting, I might check it out... I've been watching a bit more slice of life too.

Nice to meet you!
Kraavdran

Postby MIBuddy » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:37 pm

Thank you!

And no prob! That actually wasn't my blog, just a page on what I can help with, but I'm glad it helped you! I can send you a link to my blog if you like (I'm afraid it'll sound like I'm spamming that, but I'd like to help :)).
I can teach you ways to plan out a novel too if you like.

Great to meet you too! :)
MIBuddy

Postby Kraavdran » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:06 pm

Thanks! A link to the blog would be great I am at a somewhat limited reading capacity at the moment, so it might take a while for me to get through it.

I think that I have a fairly good general plan (with some specifics) for the novel. In fact, I have many more notes on specifics than I do novel. To be honest, I don't know why it is hard. But, over the next few weeks, I'm going to restart my novel (assuming all goes well). I'll take note to figure out precicely what is the matter. Thanks so much for your support/encouragement/inspiration! So, expect a pm to you in the nearish future.
Kraavdran

Postby Thunderscream872 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:56 am

Hey, welcome.

That's really cool that you're so passionate about your stories/writing. As for drawing it goes, there are plenty of people do all the writing for their stories, but have someone else to do the artwork because they either suck at drawing (not saying that you do), or simply don't have the time to get good at it, cause it takes years (a sad fact that I'm slowly learning, lol). It seems going that route is allot less stressful for some people, as long as you can find someone to accurately represent your characters, setting, story, and all that jazz.

Just out of curiosity, why did you choose to set it 100 years in past? I'm always curious as to why writers choose a particular setting. Being an aspiring writer myself, I've had allot of trouble choosing the right setting for certain projects.

Glad to hear you're enjoying Gurren Lagann. It really is a fantastic show; it was my favorite anime for a while there until I watched Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.
"NO BLOOD! NO BONE! NO ASH!"

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

MyAnimeList - Anime-Planet - A room with a moose
Thunderscream872

Postby shooraijin » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:41 am

Welcome!
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby IPv4 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:06 am

you better never leave this place.......

welcome........................
IPv4

Postby Furen » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:09 am

Welcome welcome, feel free to browse, and hang out when ya can :D
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Sheenar » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:40 pm

Welcome to CAA! :)
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby MIBuddy » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:14 pm

I'm sorry I took so long to get back! O.O I've been web-devving intensely, but I still wish I'd gotten back to you guys sooner.

@IPv4 Just read your post, I guess I'm stuck now :P ;)

@Kraavdan Here's ma blog! http://storytellingphilosophy.weebly.com/ Wow, I feel really self-conscious about this... but I'm glad to help! :)

More notes than novel is normal, I wrote a musical and I've got a fat binder full of notes, and the story I mentioned has a medium binder full of notes and I'm still not ready to start writing it.

And glad to be an encouragement, I honestly believe that everybody can learn to be a great storyteller and I don't see you as any exception! :)

@Thunderscream I guess to clarify, it's 100 years prior to the anime, not 100 years before modern-day. I guess why'd I choose that time... honestly... it's just sorta what works. And maybe it was because 100 is a nice, round number. :P I may need to drive it further back, though; part of me wonders if 100 years is enough for stuff to get corrupted. But at the same time, I look at Israel, and stuff went really uphill-downhill really fast with the different kings.

Yeah, as far as drawing goes, one of my main concerns is if I have a specific vision; if I do, then I'd want to draw it myself. But I don't know if I do; I have a couple of frames in mind that I think matter to be a specific way, but maybe my thoughts could use expansion on that. :) I don't like trying to get other artists to meet my exact vision because it's impossible (I can't even do that myself) and I feel like that limits their own creative freedom and I don't want to limit anybody's creative abilities. I've been kinda scoping out friends; I want a Christian artist on it because of some of its themes.

Still gotta finish Gurren Laggann, seems my family changed the Netflix password recently so I gotta get that back! :P

@shoorajin Thanks! :)

@Furen Thank you! :)

@Sheenar I 'preciate it! :)
MIBuddy

Postby Kraavdran » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:40 pm

MIBuddy, thanks for the link! Did you design it yourself? Looks good! I'll take a look at it as I am able. Recently, stuff has been going on very slowly and tired.

But, if it helps, I actually took a look at the story I was writing yesterday. I even managed to tweak a few sentences. One step at a time, I suppose...
Kraavdran

Postby MIBuddy » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:09 pm

Thanks! It's actually a Weebly template, so I can't take too much credit. :)

Haha, I'm not sure if you mean if it helps with me feeling bad about being late or what, but I'm glad you're making progress! :)
MIBuddy

Postby Kraavdran » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:19 pm

haha, well, good work regardless.

Well, I guess by "if it helps," I meant "thanks for the inspiration that at least let me do a little bit of writing which I think will become more writing." Or something like that :P I didn't consider you late, so I wasn't trying to reference that. Come to think of it, I don't think that someone can be "late" on a post in a forum. But I'm not certain. haha
Kraavdran

Postby MIBuddy » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:44 pm

Haha, thanks!

Ah, okay. Yeah, I guess I feel like I'm late, but I'm not really sure what forum etiquette is, yet, haha. :)

@Thunderscream Oh, by the way, I wanted to say I wish you the best in your writing as well! :)
MIBuddy

Postby Kraavdran » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:58 pm

I dont know forum etiquette is either. I'm just making assumptions... :P
Kraavdran

Return to Who's Who