Might as well do an intro...

If you're new to CAA, we invite you to tell us about yourself here. This is the place to post your own bio or read up on other members. Be as in depth as you like!

Might as well do an intro...

Postby Emacs-fu » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:05 pm

Hey all,
I have been lurking the CAA forums for a little while now but decided that I might as well dip my toes in. I consider myself an evangelical Christian (with an old English Baptist/Dutch Reformed bent). Theology and philosophy are two of my favorite topics to read and talk about, primarily because they are so vital to the way that we act and think about the world today. The Unix family of operating systems is one of my passions, and I absolutely love learning something new about how Linux or OS X work each time I dive into the file system and play around ;)

I was introduced to "chinese cartoons" through the Beneath The Tangles blog. I first started watching out of pure interest, then out of respect for the writing quality of Log Horizon and then because I simple loved Anime. Most recently, I have watched Shingeki no Kyojin though episode 25 and have read most all of the manga (I still have to read Chapter 70!). I enjoyed the Usagi Drop anime, although the manga started to get a little creepy around chapter 38 and I chickened out :P

Next on my list are to watch some Nichijou and read some Narcissu :)
"Even a fool who keeps silent is considered wise;when he closes his lips, he is deemed intelligent." - Proverbs 17:28
Emacs-fu

Re: Might as well do an intro...

Postby Thunderscream872 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:35 pm

Hey, welcome to CAA! Hope you enjoy it here, though, things have been really slow around here lately :(

I'm always meaning to teach myself more about Linux. I really only know as much as my college classes have demanded that I know so far; however, I'm assuming eventually I'll have to know all the ins and outs or whatever.

Attack on Titan is awesome. Looking forward to the second season :) I've been meaning to check out Log Horizon for a while now, it sounds interesting enough.
"NO BLOOD! NO BONE! NO ASH!"

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

MyAnimeList - Anime-Planet - A room with a moose
Thunderscream872

Postby Kraavdran » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:16 pm

Hello and Welcome!

Theology and anime, very cool! Good stuff. Also good to see another Log Horizon fan, have you seen the second season? If so, what are your thoughts compared to the first season? And, like Thunderscream said, I'm looking forward to the second season of Attack on Titan. Just need to get through 2015 first :P

I am actually about to make the switch to Linux in the near future (just waiting on a replacement hard drive). I decided to go with Elementary OS because it seems lightweight/quick, newbie friendly, and the screenshots look really nice (I'm running Snow Leopard now, so I wanted something familiar looking). What are your thoughts and/or counter suggestions?
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum et pereat mundus"
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kraavdran
Kraavdran

Postby Emacs-fu » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:25 am

Thanks, guys, for the warm welcome!

@Thunderscream Linux is definitely seems to be one of those things that you teach yourself. If you get a chance to toss it alongside an existing OS this list of links would be a great place to start. It was a great help to me!

I can't wait for AoT season 2 release! Hopefully they at least have a date set in place eventually... from this article it looks like even the production staff are unsure of the release date :/

@Kraavdran I have not seen Log Horizon's Season 2 yet! I keep meaning to start into it but life has a way of throwing things your way and convincing you that they are more pertinent :P The link list I shared above should be a good place to peruse when you start playing with Elementary. The great thing about it is that it is based off of Ubuntu, so you should have a ton of online articles and how-tos available for every imaginable thing you would wish to do. It would definitely be a great start for a former Mac user, although transforming a new Ubuntu install into a Macbuntu would also be a something you could consider, depending on how much memory you are willing to give to the Desktop Environment alone :D
"Even a fool who keeps silent is considered wise;when he closes his lips, he is deemed intelligent." - Proverbs 17:28
Emacs-fu

Postby ClaecElric4God » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:39 pm

Welcome, welcome. Good to see a new face around here. Don't trip over the door frame. Or that ax handle. Or that gas mask. Or...well, you can trip over the barbed wire. It's been there for weeks, I don't think it belongs to anyone. But seriously, don't eat tin foil. It's bad for you.
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby Kraavdran » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:29 am

Emacs-fu wrote:@Kraavdran I have not seen Log Horizon's Season 2 yet! I keep meaning to start into it but life has a way of throwing things your way and convincing you that they are more pertinent :P

ah, yeah, I understand life trying to get us away from our real priorities :P I thought that season 1 was much better.

Emacs-fu wrote: The link list I shared above should be a good place to peruse when you start playing with Elementary. The great thing about it is that it is based off of Ubuntu, so you should have a ton of online articles and how-tos available for every imaginable thing you would wish to do. It would definitely be a great start for a former Mac user, although transforming a new Ubuntu install into a Macbuntu would also be a something you could consider, depending on how much memory you are willing to give to the Desktop Environment alone :D

Wow, thanks for the info! I'll have to look in to Macbuntu. Although, I don't know if I would be willing to give the desktop environment that much memory. I'm impressed that they were able to create something that looks so similar though... quite impressive. So, it sounds like you are a big fan of ubuntu-based linux? What is your personal favorite flavor of linux?
Kraavdran

Postby Emacs-fu » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:41 am

ClaecElric4God wrote:Welcome, welcome. Good to see a new face around here. Don't trip over the door frame. Or that ax handle. Or that gas mask. Or...well, you can trip over the barbed wire. It's been there for weeks, I don't think it belongs to anyone. But seriously, don't eat tin foil. It's bad for you.

Thanks! I'll do my best to avoid the tin foil ;)

Kraavdran wrote:Wow, thanks for the info! I'll have to look in to Macbuntu. Although, I don't know if I would be willing to give the desktop environment that much memory. I'm impressed that they were able to create something that looks so similar though... quite impressive. So, it sounds like you are a big fan of ubuntu-based linux? What is your personal favorite flavor of linux?

It is hip and cool among some Linux circles to bash Ubuntu and its derivatives for various reasons. I agree with some of them (they could make them a ton lighter memory-wise) but overall I feel like the dislike it earns isn't justified. It usually works well OOTB and can be customized as much or little as you wish. That said, I don't typically use it as my go-to desktop operating system. Debian is my favorite by far, especially the Simplice derivative with allows me to begin with a fairly minimal installation and add whatever packages I need and thereby eliminate bloat :)

As for the important stuff, it sounds like I will just finish Log Horizon's 1st Season and leave it there with fond memories, lest I ruin it with a "meh" Season 2 Image
Emacs-fu

Postby MIBuddy » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:41 am

Hello and welcome! I'm a new face around here too! :)

And I approve of your use of the word "pertinent". (that is my fun way of saying YAAY I KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS AND I ALMOST NEVER HEAR IT!!)
MIBuddy

Postby Kraavdran » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:51 pm

Emacs-fu wrote: It is hip and cool among some Linux circles to bash Ubuntu and its derivatives for various reasons. I agree with some of them (they could make them a ton lighter memory-wise) but overall I feel like the dislike it earns isn't justified. It usually works well OOTB and can be customized as much or little as you wish. That said, I don't typically use it as my go-to desktop operating system. Debian is my favorite by far, especially the Simplice derivative with allows me to begin with a fairly minimal installation and add whatever packages I need and thereby eliminate bloat :)

Yeah, I can certainly relate to that. Several years ago, a friend of mine introduced me to Ubuntu. It looked really bloaty because it had all these programs on it that I didn't want. I really like the aesthetic of Elementary, despite all the programs preinstalled. But, I think, it is fairly lightweight in terms of being a resource hog. And I think that I can just remove the programs that I don't want.

Simplice looks kinda cool. I like how it isn't too bloated. Although, it reminds me of bad experiences with PCs due to the interface. I might have to take a look at that too. My hard drive shipment has been delayed, so I have time to do some research before I install. I have some more Linux questions for you, particularly about word processing/office and internet browser. What are your favorite? Right now, I'm looking at LibreOffice for an office program and Chrome for a browser. In terms of cloud storage, I'm looking at either Mega or pCloud. Mega is nice with a free 50gb of storage space, but might be heavy on resources.

haha, sorry for turning this into, partially, a chat about linux stuff. But I don't know many people who use Linux. Most people look at me like I'm crazy for using a mac... much less Linux.

Emacs-fu wrote: As for the important stuff, it sounds like I will just finish Log Horizon's 1st Season and leave it there with fond memories, lest I ruin it with a "meh" Season 2 Image

:/ Sorry! But, if it helps, the series did not conclude with season 2. So, if they make a season 3, they might conclude it. In which case, it *might* be worth watching. Otherwise, that seems like a smart idea, to skip season 2.
Kraavdran

Postby Emacs-fu » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:51 am

Let's see here... I thought I replied, but my last message must have been borked. (Sometimes my wifi will cut out and play nasty tricks on me ;) ) And, GNU/Linux is a passion of mine so I do not mind talking about it by any means :D

1) I use LibreOffice is my primary word processor for college, as my professors usually want it submitted in docx format. I have found that it works the best if you are trying to emulate MS Word in your documents and it has great support on their website.

2) I go back and forth between Firefox and Chrome(ium). I have found the Firefox interface easier to customize and control, but often Chrome (or the open source version, Chromium) will work better with webpages and Crunchyroll. It's really a matter of personal taste!

One thing I would remind you of: you customize Linux to your heart's content. That means, if you like the look of Elementary, but would like to use Debian as your base, you can most certainly make it look identical. In an easy 15 minutes, you could install XFCE and make look like this, this, that, or the other and a thousand other variations :)
Emacs-fu

Postby Emacs-fu » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:57 am

Kraavdran wrote:In terms of cloud storage, I'm looking at either Mega or pCloud. Mega is nice with a free 50gb of storage space, but might be heavy on resources.

I have no experience with either, although I have heard good things about both. I personally pay $5/mo. for a private service with DigitalOcean and just toss all of my files there. I can access them with ssh and sync them to new installed relatively easily :)

Emacs-fu wrote: As for the important stuff, it sounds like I will just finish Log Horizon's 1st Season and leave it there with fond memories, lest I ruin it with a "meh" Season 2 Image

:/ Sorry! But, if it helps, the series did not conclude with season 2. So, if they make a season 3, they might conclude it. In which case, it *might* be worth watching. Otherwise, that seems like a smart idea, to skip season 2.[/quote]

Good point. If they make a Season 3, I will probably look at 2!
Emacs-fu

Postby Kraavdran » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:33 pm

Emacs-fu wrote:Let's see here... I thought I replied, but my last message must have been borked. (Sometimes my wifi will cut out and play nasty tricks on me ;) ) And, GNU/Linux is a passion of mine so I do not mind talking about it by any means :D

1) I use LibreOffice is my primary word processor for college, as my professors usually want it submitted in docx format. I have found that it works the best if you are trying to emulate MS Word in your documents and it has great support on their website.

2) I go back and forth between Firefox and Chrome(ium). I have found the Firefox interface easier to customize and control, but often Chrome (or the open source version, Chromium) will work better with webpages and Crunchyroll. It's really a matter of personal taste!

One thing I would remind you of: you customize Linux to your heart's content. That means, if you like the look of Elementary, but would like to use Debian as your base, you can most certainly make it look identical. In an easy 15 minutes, you could install XFCE and make look like this, this, that, or the other and a thousand other variations :)

Ah, seems like we agree about Chrome/Firefox and LibreOffice. Doing some research, I found that those are typically the most recommended.

As a side note, it sounds like Copy is a better cloud storage place than Mega (which was resource-intense) or pCloud (which had only 10 GB storage). I'll have to look at Digital Ocean, should I need more than 10GB of space.
Kraavdran

Postby shooraijin » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:12 am

Welcome. vi is superior, but you still seem like a nice guy. ;)
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby AdriTan » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:07 pm

Welcome to the family! I hope you enjoy the site and our company as much as i know we'll enjoy yours ^.^
AdriTan

Postby KazeShiki » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:34 am

Huh, you were introduced to anime by Beneath the Tangles? How exactly did that end up happening? I'm one of the writers there (there're a few of us on this site), so I'm naturally curious about this.
"It was then that I found the darkness in my heart, but I wanted to become a strong person who didn't yield to such weakness." - Nana Mizuki
KazeShiki

Return to Who's Who