New+question

If you're new to CAA, we invite you to tell us about yourself here. This is the place to post your own bio or read up on other members. Be as in depth as you like!

New+question

Postby OutoftheAshes » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:12 pm

Hey, I'm new
I don't really plan on watching too many animes but I have recently started Sailor Moon. The thing is, I'll start a show, and then I'll read a review bombing it and calling it satanic and feel reaaaally reallly guilty. That ever happen to one of you?
OutoftheAshes

Re: New+question

Postby nillapoet » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:49 am

No, I get a feeling I shouldn't be watching it while I'm watching it. Not because some review says it's bad.
nillapoet

Postby Thunderscream872 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:03 pm

I'm not gonna tell you what you should or shouldn't watch. That's a decision you have to make for yourself. I do think its important that you know why you feel you shouldn't watch something. Is it because you feel guilty watching it, or is it because someone told you that you should feel guilty? There are lots of Christians out there who pretty much stay away from any form of media that isn't overtly Christian, and that's fine for them, but I don't think you're gonna find many people here who have that outlook.

I believe that whatever you decide to watch/read/listen to is your decision, and only you know what kind of effects its having on you. I think its always important to remember that entertainment is just entertainment. In my opinion, it shouldn't be taken too seriously; unless of coarse you're worried about what your young kids are watching, but that's a whole other issue.

There are, however, allot of Christians who don't feel comfortable watching stuff with lots of "magic". If you don't think its good for you to watch that, maybe you should find something else. There are plenty of good anime out there that aren't as heavy on it as I'm assuming Sailor Moon is (haven't watched it myself yet).

Whether you decide to watch more anime or not, feel free to post here and hang out. :)
"NO BLOOD! NO BONE! NO ASH!"

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

MyAnimeList - Anime-Planet - A room with a moose
Thunderscream872

Postby Kraavdran » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:57 pm

OutoftheAshes, first off, welcome!

I pretty much agree with what Thunderscream says, but I have a few things to add.

My philosophy on what to watch and what not to watch relies heavily on personal conviction. For example, I don't think that watching anime (or other shows) involving magic is a problem. To me, magic has no hold over my beliefs... it is clearly make-believe. However, I have a friend who grew up in an environment where magic was commonplace and closely related with things that were not from God.

Now, which one of us is correct? I argue that we are both correct. Her convictions tell her that music (even in fiction) is to be avoided and accepting it means something different to her than it does to me. And that's ok! For further reading, I would recommend Romans 14. It is my belief that this chapter speaks about things that are not so clearly-laid-out in terms of morality.

So, to summarize, trust God and seek His guidance. People can have some insights, but God is much better than people. Also, be certain not to cause a fellow Christian to "stumble" by forcing/convincing them of a different opinion despite their own personal convictions.
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum et pereat mundus"
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kraavdran
Kraavdran

Postby OutoftheAshes » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:20 pm

Thank you all so much for replying!
Anyways, the thing is I'll watch something, and maybe I'll feel pretty good about it. But then I see people online pointing out all the bad things in it, and then the next time I watch it those things really stick out and make me feel bad. All in all, I go back and forth between saying that "its just make believe its ok for me to watch it" to "I never want to watch anything on television ever again and be separated from the whole world." I think I'm gonna have to choose some sort of middle ground between those two options. My parents are another big factor, My dad is suspicious against anything well, Foreign. To the point where its misguided and he sorta overlooks that there can be good things coming from anime or just modern life in general. It makes it really hard to talk to him about certain things, which is partially why I got this account.
OutoftheAshes

Postby anlptgtsg » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:25 am

Welcome to the site OutoftheAshes.

I have nothing to add about the advice on the anime thing. yes it happened to me.
anlptgtsg

Postby Xeno » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:27 pm

Don't worry about what reviews say. If you like something then watch it. Yeah, sure, there are some crazy ones out there, but if you're getting the vibe that Sailor Moon is bad, well you've basically cut off any of the even moderately good series. Sailor Moon is fine, Sailor Moon R is probably one of my favorite series.
Enjoy the things you like, because the internet is always going to have bad things to say about it.

People treating fictional entertainment like its a bad thing is the reason a lot of males won't play Kirby games, or many Christians don't play Pokemon games. There is always something. Learn to separate reality from fiction and you'll have no problem.
Xeno

Postby ClaecElric4God » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:21 pm

Welcome, welcome.

I would add lots of input, but I'm not too good at that. I think it's been said fairly well (I have a slightly different opinion, but hey, that's why it's called an opinion).

Anyhoo, one thing I can say is that the reviews here at CAA can definitely help you avoid the shows that might not fit your personal standards, which makes a big difference. So I hope we can be a help and encouragement to you as you try to decide what is right for you. Also, I saw your other thread, and I would say that skreyola gave you some fantastic advice. I hope you enjoy your time here, and don't get eaten by wombats!
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby MomentOfInertia » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:05 pm

Welcome. o_o/
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby Nate » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:22 pm

Xeno wrote:Sailor Moon R is probably one of my favorite series.

>not S

I never knew you were such a pleb.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Xeno » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:03 am

Nate wrote:
Xeno wrote:Sailor Moon R is probably one of my favorite series.

>not S

I never knew you were such a pleb.

I never finished S, so *shrug*, what I saw of S was really good though.

I am a pleb though, you're not wrong there.
Xeno

Return to Who's Who