Hi CAA!

If you're new to CAA, we invite you to tell us about yourself here. This is the place to post your own bio or read up on other members. Be as in depth as you like!

Hi CAA!

Postby Dia » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:02 pm

Hiya CAA!

I am Christian, and am really intimate with a couple anime series. I wish I could say the same for my faith - I was baptized two years ago but I am not very social and slowly drifted away from my church due to a lack of a desire for fellowship. My favourite series is Shugo Chara, and my favourite character incidentally from the same anime is Hoshina Utau. I find her character and songs very beautiful and inspiring, and I sympathize with her similar circumstances and how she chooses to handle it. As a sidenote, I always felt a deep connection to characters who's family structure and dilemmas were like mine. Oh, and I definitely love her voice, the seiyuu behind it and her music, Nana Mizuki. Anyways I wish I could love my faith as much as I love this work of fiction, but being honest with myself, this is it not the case. At any rate, it is something I've decided stick to; what becomes of it over the years is still a mystery.

I first found CAA a few years ago, just curious of the kinds of communities there were on the internet, but I hadn't followed through with registering and posting an introduction until now. I think I could get along with people that have similar interest and hobbies, and it might also be interesting for me - my clear obsession with Shugo Chara is a real turn-off for my close real-life friends, but perhaps more importantly than ever I am pretty well-versed with anime and manga as a whole! But because of the culture and some of the content, sometimes I think anime does not have the best connotation (I think you will understand if you have ever been to Akihabara...I was a little shocked by the unsurprisingly bad >.<). Anyways a struggle like this...I will be in your care brothers and sisters in Christ!

Dia
Dia

Re: Hi CAA!

Postby Mithrandir » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:31 am

Welcome! Our goal for this site is to become a place where people can discuss their anime/manga hobby without either the content issues sometimes found on other boards or the judgement from some Christian circles. See you around!
Mithrandir

Postby Thunderscream872 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:31 pm

Welcome to CAA! Hope you enjoy it here!

What kind of music do you like? Any bands/artists in particular?
"NO BLOOD! NO BONE! NO ASH!"

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

MyAnimeList - Anime-Planet - A room with a moose
Thunderscream872

Postby Wolfsong » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:34 pm

Hey, welcome to CAA. I hope you enjoy your stay here.
Have a cookie!
"Show me thy ways, O Lord; teach me thy paths. Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day." Psalm 25:4-5

"Turn thee unto me, and have mercy upon me; for I am desolate and afflicted.
The troubles of my heart are enlarged: O bring thou me out of my distresses.
Look upon mine affliction and my pain; and forgive all my sins.
Consider mine enemies; for they are many; and they hate me with cruel hatred.
O keep my soul, and deliver me: let me not be ashamed; for I put my trust in thee.
Let integrity and uprightness preserve me; for I wait on thee.
Redeem Israel, O God, out of all his troubles." Psalm 25: 16-22

Thank you. Have a good day.
Wolfsong

Postby Dia » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:15 pm

Thanks for the kind welcome everyone! I like classical piano as well as anison from my favourite anime.
Dia

Postby FourFourSeven » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:50 pm

Welcome aboard, Dia.

What's the *worst* anime you've seen so far?
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

"Why can't EVERYTHING be rocket propelled?!"
-Mattias Nilsson, Mercenaries 2: World In Flames
FourFourSeven

Postby Mullet Death » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:13 pm

Greetings. I'm not very social either. I even suspect that some people thnk me weird for going into Church alone every time. If you stick around, we can be weird and antisocial together. Though you'll certainly never be as weird as I am, so there's no use in trying on that front.

I Am Mullet Death, Undisputed Ruler of the Mole and Crab People! Fear me!
Mullet Death

Postby MomentOfInertia » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:16 pm

Hello and welcome. o_o/

WE GOT A LURKER! Quick get the nets!
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby shooraijin » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:36 pm

Welcome.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Dia » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:04 am

Thanks for all the warm welcomes again!

FourFourSeven - Thank you! To answer your question...it is very hard to answer. While I personally know that I don't enjoy the vast majority of anime, I know others do for their own reasons, just as I for my own. I don't particularly dislike controversial series either, in fact, many of my favourites never quite made it here due to culture discrepancy. At any rate I want to keep an open mind as much as possible.

I think every anime would have some merit. I mean, it has to in order to have a studio working behind it all. Someone will enjoy it, and that's how they'll make their money back. However, there are certainly things I won't watch as they leave me quite unsettled and disturbed. If it seems to glorify violence especially with blood effects, I will feel a bit nauseous - I remember an AMV contest at the anime club, when someone used clips from Bleach. I had to had to turn away and I felt sick and weak for many days, though it was probably due to stress at the time as well. It was kind of a weird experience given I did not mind these things so much before, but this response is something I grew into I suppose.

I feel that fighting is a bit sad and should signify a great crisis, so watching anime turn it into somewhat of a sport is what unsettles me. That said, I am not very well-versed with action anime, but I think some mainstream action like Naruto and Dragon Ball do a decent job on emphasizing how difficult the predicament the characters are in and how harrowing a do or die confrontation can really be. Of course while reading or watching these, I am happy to see the characters overcome their obstacles which are not by any means unrelatable. But I feel that because some of the fan service has been tailored to the shounen demographic, perhaps the children and teens will miss the point among the flashy scenes. And so since I've expounded on this already, I think Bleach, especially in the later arcs, is a good example of how solemnity of fighting and violence can be lost.

Some ecchi anime and manga actually have a really good underlying message, such as Chobits, so I don't want to say that they are lost to me simply because they contain elements to attract "that" crowd. Actually, some series with a very deep complicated message have lots of ecchi elements...though the execution may be regarded as flawed I don't think it discounts from the experience of watching or reading as long as the subject and the theme is conveyed as the author intends.

But the other extreme is ecchi elements to simply titillate in that no plot-worthy character elements are build upon. Watching or reading these anime and manga (mostly anime) feels like watching garbage rot...it is very underwhelming and I feel like I'm being made a fool allowing it to penetrate my thoughts. Perhaps I am more lenient on these matters than I should be, but I have been surprised by how good some anime and manga can be while also incorporating ecchi elements. A good example I think are the Hidan no Aria LNs - there would be no plot literally, if ecchi elements were absent; the most clear and basic example is the crux of Kinji mode.

Mullet Death - Hi, I know very well how you feel, probably. I think that always going to church alone for me attributed to my sense that I could not attain fellowship with my brothers and sisters in Christ. Knowing that this is only my shortcoming doesn't make me feel any better but I think I need to accept it. I am very weird as well, but rather than shame myself for it I am starting to feel more proud about who I am and the things I like...I think this why I decided to finally post here and not hold back on typing my thoughts. I feel like I can be more honest and upfront, almost less careful with my words (sounds very terrible, but given the internet and forum dynamics...), in the midst of fellow believers because we share a love for Jesus. I can't quite put my finger on it but it is one more thing that makes me glad about choosing my faith, at the very least.

I don't think we need to compete in weirdness...because you will probably win when it comes to the things you regard as weird about yourself, and I will win in regards to mine. I think everyone has the potential to be really unique if they decide to be honest with themselves and not just go with the flow and what's around them. Maybe that's why I am so weird...I gave up on trying to be normal.
Dia

Postby ClaecElric4God » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:00 am

*comes running with net in tow* Sorry I'm late, where is it? *looks around awkwardly* Oh...oops. *cough* Erm...

Welcome, welcome. It's always good to see a new face. Don't worry, at least 60% of us are pretty socially awkward, so we're used to it. Just don't make eye contact with any of the...*shudder*...social people, and you should be good.
Hope to see you around the forums!
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby Wolfsong » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:12 am

Mullet Death wrote:Greetings. I'm not very social either. I even suspect that some people thnk me weird for going into Church alone every time. If you stick around, we can be weird and antisocial together. Though you'll certainly never be as weird as I am, so there's no use in trying on that front.

Mullet, I'm sorry, but you were surpassed in weirdness a long time ago.
I mean, look at that thing who posted before me....*shudders*

I have question! And its very important life-or-death question!
Dogs or cats, Dia?
"Show me thy ways, O Lord; teach me thy paths. Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day." Psalm 25:4-5

"Turn thee unto me, and have mercy upon me; for I am desolate and afflicted.
The troubles of my heart are enlarged: O bring thou me out of my distresses.
Look upon mine affliction and my pain; and forgive all my sins.
Consider mine enemies; for they are many; and they hate me with cruel hatred.
O keep my soul, and deliver me: let me not be ashamed; for I put my trust in thee.
Let integrity and uprightness preserve me; for I wait on thee.
Redeem Israel, O God, out of all his troubles." Psalm 25: 16-22

Thank you. Have a good day.
Wolfsong

Postby shooraijin » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:18 am

Maybe that's why I am so weird...I gave up on trying to be normal.

Eminently quotable. :thumb:
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Panda4christ:3 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:52 pm

Welcome~
Shugo Chara was super cute (And yes, Utau is the best).
Favorite kind of music? :3
"People need fear, we experience it so we can grow stronger"-Maka Albarn
Panda4christ:3

Location: There are some things you should just keep to yourself

Postby TheAlbinoMoose » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:04 pm

Welcome to the jungle :D
Do you see this gorgeous creature?
That graceful profile. Those striking eyes. Behold the albino moose.
A wise man once said, "you can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose. But you can't pick your friend's nose."
TheAlbinoMoose

Postby Furen » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:17 am

Welcome :)
Hope you enjoy your time here.
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby PLCDreamcatcher14 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:41 pm

Whoa...Dia, I already like you. You so open minded and different from other people I've seen. You remind me a bit of myself. lol. I personally like being around people but not so much interacting with them. Welcome! And what's your second fav series? Your favorite manga? Or your favorite anime art style? Hope to see you around. :)
'What one does not understand one fears. What one fears, one destroys.' -Native American Indian Proverb
"Man: What surprises you most about mankind? God: That they get bored with childhood, they rush to grow up, and then long to be children again. That they lose their health to make money and then lose their money to restore their health. That by thinking anxiously about the future, they forget the present, such that they live in neither the present nor the future. That they live as though they will never die and die as though they never lived."
"God expects spiritual fruit not religious nuts."

PLCDreamcatcher14

Postby Dia » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:39 pm

Hiya, back from a busy few days. Thankies for all the welcomes!

ClaecElric4God - Thank you! I don't really enjoy avoiding people at my church so I hope to get over that sometime...It is weird probably because I've gone there since I was six and I've always had this tendency to keep my distance despite my time there.

Wolfsong - This question doesn't have a simple answer for me. I was born in the year of the dog, and my cousins are affectionate towards me but I find being sniffed, licked, or being forced to cuddle (like when they rush over and sit on your lap ~ too scared to move) a tad too enthusiastic. Meanwhile I think cats are really cute and independent and its interesting to watch them go about their daily routine...except I am allergic to them and I can't enter a house with cats or go near to them else it becomes hard to breathe and the underside of my jaw will be pounding with pain. So yea, I guess my social anxiety extends even to non-humans cousins, and I would never be able spend time with a cat.

shooraijin - Hehe, thanks. I guess its a logical conclusion!

Panda4christ:3 - Thank you! I know! *heart* I like classical music (specifically piano mostly because I play) and anison from my favourite animes as they really bring me back to all those euphoric and/or heartrending emotions!

TheAlbinoMoose - Thank you! I will be careful. = P

Furen - Yes, thank you!

PLCDreamcatcher14 - I think most of the time my "open-mindedness" is really just an excuse for my, *ahem*...lack of understanding QQ. But thanks! I think I have a lot of second favourite series...just series I really enjoyed watching through. Some notable ones would be Gosick, Kaichou wa Maid-sama!, Full Moon wo Sagashite, maybe One Outs!, Kuroko no Basuke, and Akagi for psychological thriller. I also enjoyed watching C - Control...also watching Sailor Moon Crystal right now! = D One of my favourite things is definitely watching anime with family and in the past online friends. I feel that I've watched a lot of series yet I really need to watch something again and again to really understand it by breaking things down bit by bit and analyzing the whole thing. Then I can tell whether or not I really like something...Shugo Chara!! I watch it all the time on DVD while I cook. = D

For manga, I love reading Love so Life...I had some babysitting experience as well and finding ways to communicate and teach them was hard for me. That's why I love seeing Shiharu-san's ingenious ways to do her best for the adorable twins!

I think my favourite anime art style is Shojo, everything is very cute and beautifully drawn, with limbs that are more proportionate to reality. But really I think any style, especially unique ones, will give a series a good feel as well!
Dia

Postby Nate » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:30 pm

Dia wrote:I find being sniffed, licked, or being forced to cuddle (like when they rush over and sit on your lap ~ too scared to move) a tad too enthusiastic.

To be honest being sniffed or licked even by family members is really weird.
also watching Sailor Moon Crystal right now! = D

Okay, you're alright by me.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Furen » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:23 pm

Nate wrote:Okay, you're alright by me.

The legendary Nate approval. Welcome to the club, beware the crazy members, they often lurk just around the corner.
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Return to Who's Who