Another new guy!

If you're new to CAA, we invite you to tell us about yourself here. This is the place to post your own bio or read up on other members. Be as in depth as you like!

Another new guy!

Postby jmark » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:29 pm

There needs to be an app that lets me write my name on a chalkboard and bow. My names Josh! (Sorry Josh from a few posts earlier. This one's still got that new Josh smell.) I've been a Christian all of my life... but only technically. I was born into a Christian family but, despite being a Church goer, I really didn't give my faith as much thought as I should have until my early teens so I guess it's then that I truly consider myself become a Christian. As for anime, Ive been watching since I was 15 and it's been a fairly long time since. I'm sure I'm not the oldest person here, but I am in my early mid-thirties (Old Josh, your probably still the newer Josh). What can I say; old habits die hard. That being said, my only regret is that in an office environment saying your an anime fan doesn't warrant the same reaction as, say, liking Looney Tones. I'm cool with Bugs and Daffy! I have plenty of Disney and Pixar films, too! But I gotta keep my Anime fandom under wraps? Not cool, society. Its because of that I paid way too much for those Madoka Magica neckties with characters hidden in them; so I can exorcise petty spite in secret while looking dapper. Moving on.

They say all things happen for a reason and while a predisposition for 2D entertainment from the Land of the Rising Sun may be an odd thing to attribute to the Almighty Creator he did use it to steer me to where I needed to be. After spending a good amount of time uncertain what to do with my life I was awoken up to the painfully obvious notion of "Animation good. Me want do animation!" And almost immediately... I wasn't very good at it. But I WAS pretty good at all the other things a degree in Media Arts and Animation covers and enjoy the heck out of it. 3D. Motion-graphics. Video. Fun! So way to go, God! Sometimes his answers for you are not obvious and the thing you think you really want... isn't? (I'm better at multimedia than I am with words... I hope) Now, that's not much of a testament and while I make light of it, it was a life altering prayer answered for me, and not the last. The common thread was the big answers I received where often not the ones I saw for myself and It was only it retrospect that I could see why. Just got to have faith that he will take care of you and, I'll be the first to admit, that can be hard to do at times. I may have just wrote all of that for myself... Hmmmm.

SO YEAH! Anime! Back on another track. All across the board in my taste but have a soft spot for the cute, stupid, and pointless (AKA: Slice of Life). At the same time, I love when an animation can tell a highly effective, dramatic story in a way that catches you completely off guard. Manage to do that and I'll pay way too much for your neckties. I could easily write pages upon pages of the things I appreciate in Japanese animation from the importance of even simple background music in some series to the tradition of water-color background but this intro is getting long as it is. I will say that I'm happy that some Western directors such has John Lasseter and Sylvain Chomet have really step up the game in story and artistry but there's still a ways to go before the sheer variety is matched. In closing, happy to be here and thanks to the creators for making this board! Like any others I came across it by happy accident and I look forward to being involved!
"Always remember we come from a family raised on an island with a beach-based tourist economy that sold its sand because it somehow believed that brown mud was just as good. We shouldn't have hope, and yet we do." - A.C. Miranda on the subject of life on the Texas Gulf Coast.
jmark

Re: Another new guy!

Postby anlptgtsg » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:55 am

Hello and welcome jmark. Quite a long introduction yet you only mentioned one anime title :rock: I hope you enjoy your stay here :thumb:
anlptgtsg

Postby drill » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:29 am

Welcome to CAA jmark! Hope you enjoy your stay :D

What is your favorite anime?
drill

Postby Ronigirl » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:47 pm

Welcome to CAA! I'm pretty new to this site too, and it's exciting to meet older people here! My hubby and I are huge fans of slice of life anime. Which ones are your favs? :)
Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails. -1 Corinthians 13:4-8
Ronigirl

Postby shooraijin » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:57 pm

Welcome, second Josh.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Rzerox21xx » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:59 pm

welcome, what other anime do you like too
Rzerox21xx

Postby jmark » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:32 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome! And sorry. I'll try to be less punishing with my walls-o-text but make no promises. I will try, though!

My favorite anime? Gah! That's going to be tough. I feel like I have to do it by genre, and yet... must keep this short! If I was to be stuck with one movie for weeks I'd probably be either Spirited Away or Lupin the 3rd - The Castle of Caglistro. Those are just two that immediately sprang to mind and that I've seen countless times. For series, that's even harder. Ronigirl, since you asked about Slice of Life in particular; K-on!, Squid Girl, and Azumanga Daioh. I also just started watching Non Non Biyori and I have to admit the first couple of eps really made me smile so I'll go on and add that in. Oh, and Kamichu. I'm really bad at choosing. :(

For the other genres; Oreimo, Mushi-shi, Chobits, Cowboy Bebop, Haibane Renmei, Ah! My Goddess, and Kokoro Connect to name a few with honorable mention going to Sailor Moon & Tenchi Muyo for being two of my firsts. :)

Again, thanks for the welcome everyone! Happy to be here!
"Always remember we come from a family raised on an island with a beach-based tourist economy that sold its sand because it somehow believed that brown mud was just as good. We shouldn't have hope, and yet we do." - A.C. Miranda on the subject of life on the Texas Gulf Coast.
jmark

Postby ClaecElric4God » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:59 am

Welcome, welcome.
Japanese smily faces! Awesome! Awesome testimony. It's always great to hear how God works in other people's lives. I'll never get over the diversity He uses.

Have you seen Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle?
Anyways, I'm all out of witty things to say, so forgive my drab welcome. If only I had an eloquent poem or some deep, philosiphical riddle to make up for it. Ah, well. I suppose this will have to do.
Nice to meet you, and I look forward to seeing you around the board. Enjoy the craziness, and I hope you survive!
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Return to Who's Who