Hallo there!

If you're new to CAA, we invite you to tell us about yourself here. This is the place to post your own bio or read up on other members. Be as in depth as you like!

Hallo there!

Postby Schokolade » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:57 pm

So I'm new here, obviously. I came across this website because I've been a fan of anime years before I became a Christian, and actually wanted to start my own thing for reviewing from such a perspective. I figured something like that must have already existed and well... Google brought me here.

I'd really like to eventually get involved with reviewing and rating but apparently that's reserved for "members with good standing" or members don't have "too few post," whatever that means. Even so I'm excited to be here, as it looks like a fun place. :P
Schokolade

Re: Hallo there!

Postby drill » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:29 pm

Welcome to CAA Schokolade! Hope you enjoy your stay :D

What is your favorite anime?
drill

Postby Ronigirl » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:40 pm

Welcome!! I'm a new person, and found this site through google too! :D I hope to read your reviews in the near future! :)
Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails. -1 Corinthians 13:4-8
Ronigirl

Postby uranium52081 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:43 pm

Welcome! I'm new myself... But I have high hopes for this organization! It would be pretty awesome to meet more people who love anime and are actually Christians! I was thinking it would be cool to have a booth an local cons spreading the word that there are others like us out there!
uranium52081

Postby Schokolade » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:56 am

Favorite anime is a really difficult one. The ones with the most nostalgic value would be Naruto and Yu-Gi-Oh, while the ones that left most of an impression would probably be Naruto, Elfen Lied, Death Note, Attack on Titan, and Deadman Wonderland. I guess I tend to lean towards shounen or anime that at leasts makes me think.

I honestly didn't know there was such a conflict with Christianity and anime. Is it based on cultural differences? I know that anime tends to target much larger audiences than American cartoons, and series that aren't originally for children get "watered down" for them like Sailor Moon and One Piece. I also know that Japan has always had a very small Christian population, so religious references and themes are usually closer to their majority beliefs and traditions while anything Christian tends to become kind of murky. That alone makes some uncomfortable.
Last edited by Schokolade on Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Schokolade

Postby anlptgtsg » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:44 am

Welcome to CAA. Have fun :)
anlptgtsg

Postby shooraijin » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:28 pm

Welcome, Schokolade (that takes me back to high school German class).

I don't think personally there's any particular conflict between Christianity and anime any more than any other form of popular media, even in Japan. But, as you say, it's a minority view and some series may play fast and loose with Christian concepts, and the sheer number of tawdry titles (even though they are not the majority of the output) tends to taint the whole genre. So sites like this exist to accentuate the positive.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Schokolade » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:43 pm

shooraijin wrote:Welcome, Schokolade (that takes me back to high school German class).

Haha, well I'm a half-German chocolate lover who's interested in the culture so "Schokolade" seemed like a fun idea for a name.

shooraijin wrote:I don't think personally there's any particular conflict between Christianity and anime any more than any other form of popular media, even in Japan. But, as you say, it's a minority view and some series may play fast and loose with Christian concepts, and the sheer number of tawdry titles (even though they are not the majority of the output) tends to taint the whole genre. So sites like this exist to accentuate the positive.

Popular media of any kind really has a tendency to be tainted by infamous works, but that's where discernment comes in. It's a pretty important skill - especially for Christians - when dealing with anything in this world. So I think this forum is a really great concept.
Schokolade

Postby shooraijin » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:00 pm

Half-German? What's the other half?

Popular media of any kind really has a tendency to be tainted by infamous works, but that's where discernment comes in.

Quite so.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby rocklobster » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:05 am

:hug: Welcome to CAA!
Would you like a jelly baby?
rocklobster

Postby Schokolade » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:44 pm

shooraijin wrote:Half-German? What's the other half?

A mix of countries from the United Kingdom. Born and raised in America, though.

rocklobster wrote: Welcome to CAA!
Would you like a jelly baby?

Yes, thank you :n_n:
Schokolade

Postby FourFourSeven » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:59 pm

NOTICE:

You are leaving the American sector, and entering the CAA
Carrying weapons on and off duty forbidden
Obey posting rules

Welcome to our Allied territory!
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

"Why can't EVERYTHING be rocket propelled?!"
-Mattias Nilsson, Mercenaries 2: World In Flames
FourFourSeven

Postby ClaecElric4God » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:03 am

Welcome, welcome.
Leave candy at the doorstep as a sign of your loyalty. That is all.
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby uranium52081 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:09 am

I've been a fan of anime for a long time and have attended quite a few conventions over the years. I've just gotten to the point where I'm like,"Wow, I've got a lot of awesome nerd friends but hardly any Christian friends.. Where are all the Christian anime fans??" No matter where I've looked only one or two ever turn up. I love the anime culture and the happy, silliness and beautiful, thoughtfulness that permeate it. But it kinda gets lonely having beliefs that most of your friends don't, or are even against... And sure we're all very accommodating and accepting of each other, but there's still that disconnect. So, I'm really glad this forum exists and hopeful of what's to come! ^_^
uranium52081

Postby rocklobster » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:00 pm

Shokolade, you can have this pink and variously-colored jelly baby. It's "tutti fruitti" flavored.
rocklobster

Postby emmatheveritas » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:25 pm

Well, hallo to you, too! :jump: How are you? It's really great to meet another lover of Jesus and of anime! I'm newish here myself, so I hope to see you around. Yes, it is a bummer about the reviewing, although I have only read\ watched two manga books and seen maybe four anime movies and one show. I can't find much that isn't unnerving for my liking, you know, those with mature relations and the like. Do you have anything good? I pretty much joined because I'm a manga illustrator for a bit over a year, and completely self taught. Do you draw? I would love to get to know you better and I hope to see you around! I have chortles! Veritas out! :grin:
Hence, the longest signature on CAA!!
''I have fury! Finally, my entrance with drama!''-Fawful ''Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga
''Why...whenever...fury...Fawful just wanted some kingdom conquering...but every time the mustaches come. Always in Fawful's way...alwaysalwaysalways''-Fawful Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
''Darkness cannot cover darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot cover hate; only love can.''-Martin Luther King Jr.
"SPACESHIP!!! SPACESHIP!!! SPACESHIP!!! SPACESHIP!!! SPACESHIP!!!"-Benny from The Lego Movie
"A closed door doesn't mean its a locked one"-Anais TAWO Gumball
emmatheveritas

Location: somewhere between my daydreams, the BeanBean Kingdom, and waiting for Heaven. =D

Postby Schokolade » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:19 am

FourFourSeven wrote:NOTICE:

You are leaving the American sector, and entering the CAA
Carrying weapons on and off duty forbidden
Obey posting rules

Welcome to our Allied territory!

I'm not 100% sure what this means but... I plan on being a good girl :angel:

rocklobster wrote:Shokolade, you can have this pink and variously-colored jelly baby. It's "tutti fruitti" flavored.

Thank you :hug:

ClaecElric4God wrote:Welcome, welcome.
Leave candy at the doorstep as a sign of your loyalty. That is all.

So I get some candy and I give some away. Alright then, I'm fair game *dumps some bags at the door*

uranium52081 wrote:I've been a fan of anime for a long time and have attended quite a few conventions over the years. I've just gotten to the point where I'm like,"Wow, I've got a lot of awesome nerd friends but hardly any Christian friends.. Where are all the Christian anime fans??" No matter where I've looked only one or two ever turn up. I love the anime culture and the happy, silliness and beautiful, thoughtfulness that permeate it. But it kinda gets lonely having beliefs that most of your friends don't, or are even against... And sure we're all very accommodating and accepting of each other, but there's still that disconnect. So, I'm really glad this forum exists and hopeful of what's to come! ^_^

I live too far away from any interesting conventions so I haven't gotten to enjoy any. The only anime friends I've ever had were over the internet so I met a lot of interesting characters that way. Most were atheist/undecided, but there are also a few friendly satanist... which was awkward. Anime is great because it really speaks to larger audiences than American cartoons tend to target. Don't get me wrong, I like both, but it's nice that I can get great action scenes, humor, and even a few life lessons in art styles that I personally prefer - or at least out of the anime I've watched.

emmatheveritas wrote:Well, hallo to you, too! :jump: How are you? It's really great to meet another lover of Jesus and of anime! I'm newish here myself, so I hope to see you around. Yes, it is a bummer about the reviewing, although I have only read\ watched two manga books and seen maybe four anime movies and one show. I can't find much that isn't unnerving for my liking, you know, those with mature relations and the like. Do you have anything good? I pretty much joined because I'm a manga illustrator for a bit over a year, and completely self taught. Do you draw? I would love to get to know you better and I hope to see you around! I have chortles! Veritas out! :grin:

I'm pretty darn good, for the moment. I've watched over 50 animes over my 7 or so years as a fan, but I doubt I'd be reviewing them all. Do you mean there are a lot of animes that are "unnerving" because of fanservice and casual relations? Yeah, that kind of stuff makes me uncomfortable. I grew up on Shounen, though, so as long as they don't overdo it on the sexual-angle, I can typically ignore it or even fast-forward some scenes. Maybe not such a good thing. I'm am also a self-taught artist, though I think the mental process of creating characters is usually more fun than creating them physically. My avatar is actually an original character that I drew and colored.

Totally up for getting to know anyone who wants to get known!
Schokolade

Postby DecooPunk » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:30 am

Schokolade wrote: I'm am also a self-taught artist, though I think the mental process of creating characters is usually more fun than creating them physically. My avatar is actually an original character that I drew and colored.

You should post some of your art! If you want to~
:n_n:
DecooPunk

Postby Schokolade » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:15 pm

DecooPunk wrote:You should post some of your art! If you want to~
:n_n:

I was thinking about it. Maybe once I get more comfortable with the community.
Schokolade

Postby shooraijin » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:57 pm

Given that your avatar is self-drawn, I can't imagine they'd be ill-received. :thumb:

shooraijin

Postby Schokolade » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:05 pm

shooraijin wrote:Given that your avatar is self-drawn, I can't imagine they'd be ill-received. :thumb:

Thank you :)

But what's the difference between the "Art Corner" and the "Original Artwork"? The descriptions say they're basically the same thing so... what's the difference? Why have both?
Schokolade

Postby DecooPunk » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:34 am

I think people just post more in Art Corner.
DecooPunk

Postby shooraijin » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:46 pm

Historically there used to be a difference, but as you can see from the forum subtitle, there really isn't anymore. One day they will be merged probably. Until then, DecooPunk is right; Art Corner is what people typically use.

shooraijin

Return to Who's Who