"I'm new!!! I'm new!!!" -Joe Dirt

If you're new to CAA, we invite you to tell us about yourself here. This is the place to post your own bio or read up on other members. Be as in depth as you like!

"I'm new!!! I'm new!!!" -Joe Dirt

Postby amplifiez » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:02 pm

Hey everyone, so I just made an account. I was hoping to get to meet some people on here. I'm a junior in college, majoring in English. After I get my B.A., I'm aiming to get into seminary. My goal is to eventually work at a Christian boarding school to teach Apologetics. Anyway, don't stone me for this, but I usually prefer reading manga over watching anime. By the way, I absolutely despise dubbed animes. I read a ton of manga, and have trouble keeping up with them all. By a ton, I mean somewhere in the low hundreds...lol. Although, I'm sure some people out there think that's nothing haha. That's all I can think of for now, so I'm gonna go explore the site a bit... I'll talk with whomever replies soon!

P.S.
Props to whoever knows that line from Joe Dirt lol.
amplifiez

Re: "I'm new!!! I'm new!!!" -Joe Dirt

Postby Banana Lobster » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:02 pm

Hello, and welcome to CAA! I hope you enjoy your time here on this wonderful site! :) Here are some questions for you:

What are your favorite manga?
What's your favorite color? (I know, weird question XD)
I know you said you didn't watch much anime, but what anime have you watched?
Banana Lobster

Postby AdriTan » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:08 pm

Welcome! Enjoy the site! :D It's great to have another member!
Love Momma Flower @}~~,~
AdriTan

Postby amplifiez » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:23 pm

Thanks for the welcome guys!

My favorite mangas...hmm. Well, I'll just list the ones I'm currently keeping up with. Of course there's Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece, then there's Beelzebub, The Breaker - New Waves, History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi, Kimi no Iru Machi, Akame ga Kiru, Claymore, Kuroko no Basket, Horiyama, Ansatsu Kyoushitsu, and some others.

Unfortunately, what I tend to do is race through a manga so fast and then move on to another one immediately, so when new chapters come out for the ones I just finished catching up with, I'm too immersed in what I'm currently reading to notice. The result is that I totally forget where I left off and what was going on in other mangas, meaning I have to re-read them... It's not uncommon for me to read a manga all over again 2-3 times -_____-. In a way, t's kinda fun though, cuz I don't remember every little thing that happened. There's so many examples I can give you that it's sad lol.

My favorite color is probablyyy......green. I think if I had to choose to live in a world where everything was only one color, I'd like to live in a green plant-like world haha. I usually only prefer animes that weren't adapted from manga - such as Code Geass , Wolf's Rain, Blood+, etc. But I'll occasionally watch a Naruto, Bleach, or One Piece episode or fight scene. Any good suggestions?

Hbu, what are some of your favorite animes/mangas? And what one-color world would you like to live in? That sounds slightly racist, but oh well lol.
amplifiez

Postby Koneko-chan » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:11 pm

Ah, Joe Dirt, i love that movie! XD Anyhow, welcome to CAA, I hope you have a lot of fun here and hope to see you around the forum~ :D
"I believe...I want to live my life, carrying my memories with me. Even if those memories are painful, even if those memories do nothing but hurt me...Even those memories I wish I could forget...As long as I keep carrying them with me and don't run away from them. Someday...Someday, I believe I will get to the point where I'm not oppressed by those memories. That's what I want to believe. I'd like to think that there's not a single memory that I have which would be okay to forget." -Momiji Sohma - Fruits Basket

You are forgiven. Always and completely forgiven. - The 11th Doctor
No matter how small the problem is, how small the thing is, it will always effect the people around you. - Yuko Ichihara - XXXHolic
Total Grell fangirl. :3 <3
Koneko-chan

Postby ClaecElric4God » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:49 pm

Welcome, welcome. Hope you enjoy it here, which I'm sure you will. Everyone's great, so you won't have any trouble getting to know people. I know what you mean about manga. I watch anime more, but when I do read a manga, I usually tend to like it more than it's anime counterpart.

Anyway, have a great day, God bless, and welcome to CAA.
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby Crossfire » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:01 pm

I've always wondered if reading English manga is akin to watching dubbed anime... I hate the latter, so I've avoided picking up comics locally available.

With that random comment aside, as President of the Goof-Off I bid thee welcome to CAA. I'm headed towards an English course as well, though in my case it's teaching the language.
Crossfire

Postby rocklobster » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:59 am

:hug: Welcome to CAA!
Would you like a jelly baby?
rocklobster

Postby Panda4christ:3 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:12 am

Konichiwa!!! Here's your newcomer panda bear hug!!!

Oh, i go to fast through manga too, so much so i forget important things that happen >.<

anyway, hope you enjoy your stay! :D
"People need fear, we experience it so we can grow stronger"-Maka Albarn
Panda4christ:3

Location: There are some things you should just keep to yourself

Postby amplifiez » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:51 am

Thanks again for all the responses!

@Crossfire: I never thought of that before lol. The quality depends on the group that's translating it, honestly. Some are decent, others are exemplary. Mangastream, Redhawk, and A-Team are all excellent. And yeah, dubbed anime is awful. I swear they pick people off the street to voice the characters. To my knowledge, being a voice actor or actress in Japan is akin to being a celebrity. Obviously that means more competition, and more competition means more talent.

When I think of it though, anime and manga are both subbed. If you're watching anime, you're reading what's being said in English, and the same goes for manga. To show people how terrible dubbed animes are, I'd sometimes pick a short scene from an anime and play it in subbed and then dubbed right afterwards. Even the way, say, shinigami say "Bankai" in Bleach is phenomenally different between dubbed and subbed versions. Japanese voice performers seem to put more emotion into their work. English performers sound monotone or just plain annoying most of the time.
amplifiez

Postby Vilo159 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:48 pm

Good day to you, amplifiez, and welcome to the CAA! :thumb:

Would your username imply that you have some interest in music?

And I guess the sub vs. dub thing is a matter of preference. I don't mind dubs; the ones I've seen, I thought the english voice actors did really well and the voices really fit the characters and were well done. I haven't done any side-by-side comparison, though. But I have seen ones that were not so great, so I know where you're coming from.
Vilo159

Postby amplifiez » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:49 am

@Vilo: Thanks for the welcome. And I like listening to music, but never had any talent for making it lol. I just chose that username because it's pretty close to my XBL gamertag.
amplifiez

Return to Who's Who