[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5080: mysql_connect(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5106: mysql_query(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5106: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5107: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given
Some stuff about me!! - CAA: Christian Anime Alliance

Some stuff about me!!

If you're new to CAA, we invite you to tell us about yourself here. This is the place to post your own bio or read up on other members. Be as in depth as you like!

Some stuff about me!!

Postby kawahime » Thu Jun 19, 2003 4:02 pm

I feel egotistical when I start out talking about myself, but here goes...

Denomination: Christian Reform
I'm a born-again Christian since exactly a year and three months ago! :)

Ethinicity: 1/2 Japanese, 1/4 Russian, 1/4 British
I like to pretend that I know how to speak Japanese but I actually only can speak semi-fluent. And I took French in high school but how much do I know? About nothing.
Appearance: dark brown hair, dark brown eyes, medium height I guess?

Interests: Anime!! competing and teaching piano, listening to JPop and Christian music, suntanning, studying Japanese!

Favourite Anime: Escaflowne, Inuyasha, Angelic Layer, Fruits Basket
The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear?

Psalms 27:1
kawahime

Postby Anison Twilight » Thu Jun 19, 2003 4:12 pm

Again, nice to meet you...
Anison Twilight

Postby Technomancer » Thu Jun 19, 2003 4:13 pm

Welcome again! Are you at UBC or Simon Fraser? (That's still in Vancouver right?)
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Shinja » Thu Jun 19, 2003 4:15 pm

hey welcome.
MATT
Matt blends in - and hates it.

Give me a bike and a road by which to travel.
Shinja

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:26 pm

This isn't a hello thread, but welcome anyway. And happy... baptism in the Spirit day or something...'

Really though, in some ways that day can be more important than our birthday. Good of you to mention it!
uc pseudonym

Postby Gypsy » Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:47 pm

Oh, a pianist! I think it's so neat that we have so many musicians around here. Do you have any mp3s or yourself uploaded so I can hear you play?
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby kawahime » Fri Jun 20, 2003 6:56 pm

ebd1 - you being playing piano for a long time?? My favorites are always Grieg, Chopin, and Beethoven. I also like Gershwin quite a bit! How about you, what do you like??

Gypsy - I don't compose at all, and I haven't figured out how to record myself onto the computer. I think I'd need a mic or something which I don't have at the moment, unfortunately. :( Do you have any recordings of yourself that you'd like to share?? :)

Technomancer - I'm at UBC? Are you a Vancouverite as well? I'm sure you're well acquainted with Sakura Media and Iwase Shoten (of Richmond) as well?? :thumb:

uc pseudonym - Thanks!! and I really know what you mean about it being more improtant than a birthday. :)

Diana

kawahime

Postby Technomancer » Fri Jun 20, 2003 7:11 pm

No, I'm not from BC, but my family is. My Mom's from Vancouver, and my Dad's from Vancouver Island (lived mostly near Cassidy, but also in Nanaimo). I was in Vancouver and Whistler though this past December for a conference, and visiting relatives. I'm just an Ontario boy though.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Ashley » Fri Jun 20, 2003 7:44 pm

Oo, oo, I've been to Vancouver. I lived in Bellingham, Washington for 2 years, so we used to ferry up there all the time. Made a great trip for our visiting Texan relatives; they thought it was great to go to Canada.
Ashley

Postby kawahime » Mon Jun 23, 2003 3:45 pm

yeah Vancouver is nice huh?? ;)

Diana

kawahime

Postby Spencer » Mon Jun 23, 2003 8:01 pm

Hey neat, piano is cool. I know a wee bit, but nothing real fancy. I am tryin to focus on the guitar, right now. Actually goin pretty good, I've learned a lot of chords, songs, and picking. Even got some of Canon in D (I heard somebody mention that, but forgot who.)

Personally I like Chopin & Bach. Beethoven is okay, but not my favorite.

btw, Moonlight Sonata is awesome! (Forgot who mentioned that one, too. I'm so forgetful.)
:)
Spencer

Postby kawahime » Wed Jun 25, 2003 2:58 pm

Yes, I agree, Moonlight Sonata is avery beautiful piece, even though I never had the chance to play it to the end. What piano levels do you go by? Here in Canada we go by the RCM (Royal Conservatory of Music) and my level is called Performer's ARCT. I think Moonlight Sonata would be either grade 10 or ARCT level. For some reason I don't particularly like Canon in D, probably because it's repetitive. But it's one of those songs that are pretty, but nice and simple to play.

Blue October - you like Chopin too? have you seen 'The Pianist"?

Diana

kawahime

Postby shooraijin » Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:58 pm

Cool that there are so many pianists here. To those who mentioned Bach, count me in, especially the two- and three-part Inventions/Sinfonias.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Mithrandir » Fri Jun 27, 2003 11:41 pm

Originally posted by Ashley
Oo, oo, I've been to Vancouver

You know, I tell people all the time that I used to live in Bakersfield, CA. The number one response I get is "Oh yeah, I drove through there!"
Mithrandir

Postby EireWolf » Fri Jun 27, 2003 11:48 pm

Originally posted by oldphilosopher
"I drove through there!"

Why else would anyone go near Bakersfield?? :grin:

:lick:
EireWolf

Postby shooraijin » Sat Jun 28, 2003 7:37 am

> Why else would anyone go near Bakersfield??

Mass insanity? :thumb:

Frank Gifford was once quoted as saying the biggest thing he ever did in his life was getting out of Bakersfield.

Also, Fisher Stevens, when asked where his ancestors were from, in a thick generic Middle Eastern-Pakistani-Indian accent: "Oh, them. Bakersfield." Points if you name the movie! (oldphil and Eire exempt, they definitely know this. ;) )
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Mithrandir » Sun Jun 29, 2003 11:26 am

Originally posted by shooraijin
>"Oh, them. Bakersfield." Points if you name the movie! (oldphil and Eire exempt, they definitely know this. ;) )

Why do I feel I am being discribminatec agianst!
Boy do I speel bad!
Mithrandir

Postby shooraijin » Sun Jun 29, 2003 12:59 pm

> Why do I feel I am being discribminatec agianst!

Good grief, man, your fingers have melted! :o

shooraijin

Postby Mithrandir » Sun Jun 29, 2003 3:43 pm

MELTED?!? I just thought it would be funny to look un-edjumicated...
Mithrandir

Postby kawahime » Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:10 pm

shooraijin - yeah Bach is awesome. Right now i'm playing the Italian Concerto and the third movement, although hard, sounds awesome ^_^ Do you like it??

No idea wat you guys are talking about :)

Diana

kawahime

Postby shooraijin » Tue Jul 01, 2003 8:17 pm

> shooraijin - yeah Bach is awesome. Right now i'm playing the Italian Concerto and the third movement, although hard, sounds awesome ^_^ Do you like it??

An excellent choice, mademoiselle! I believe I have that on CD (I wish I had the sheet music).

Right now on the synthesizer is Handel's Water Music but I haven't had much time to practise with the patient load at the hospital ... :shady:

shooraijin

Postby kawahime » Sat Jul 05, 2003 1:23 am

Yeah I know how that is. I started work full time last week and I'm only getting an hour practice per day. :(

Diana

kawahime

Postby Mithrandir » Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:58 am

kawahime wrote:I started work full time last week and I'm only getting an hour practice per day.

Um. ONLY an HOUR? Does not compute. I feel like I did good work if I can get in 5 min a day!
Mithrandir

Return to Who's Who