Uhmm.. Hi!

If you're new to CAA, we invite you to tell us about yourself here. This is the place to post your own bio or read up on other members. Be as in depth as you like!

Uhmm.. Hi!

Postby Technomancer » Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:40 pm

Thought I'd drop in and say hello since this place looked interesting. I didn't see much pupose in writing two intros so here goes:

Handle: Technomancer
Denomination: Catholic

Academic Stuff: Math, Signal Processing, Neural Networks, Computer Programming.

Other Interests: Anime (who'd a thunk it?), history, astronomy, geology, other science-y stuff (yeah I'm that much of a geek..), gaming, miniatures painting. Also hiking and camping, if I can ever get out of here :?:
Current Situation: procrastinating.
Current Weather: cloudy, chance of showers.

Favourite Book: Cosmos, Carl Sagan.
Favourite Film: Ran (Akira Kurosawa)
Favourite Animes: Escaflowne (TV series), Cowboy Bebop, Wings of Honneamise (how the heck is this spelt anyways?)
Favourite Manga: Too cheap to buy manga, I read web comics instead!
Last Book Read: "The Power and the Glory" Grahm Greene.

Languages: French (rusty), some rudimetary japanese
Favourite Foods: Seafood

Anyways, now that I've all bored you with my bio, I'd like to say a big hello to everyone.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:45 pm

'Allo. Welcome. ^___^ And the bio didn't bore me.

Rudimentary Japanese eh? That's about all I know too .__. If I were gonna learn much more I'd have to take classes...can't do that right now though.

Well...see ya around!
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Technomancer » Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:48 pm

yeah, in my final year of undergrad I tried taking a formal course. Unfortunately, I also had two thesis projects going on at that time so I had to drop out of the course. I've been at on and off since (at least I've got the important stuff figured out: "How much is that? and Where is the bathroom?")
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Stephen » Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:49 pm

Welcome aboard! Like the avatar!:thumb:
Stephen

Postby Gypsy » Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:50 pm

Hey there! Welcome to CAA.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby inkhana » Fri Jun 13, 2003 7:04 pm

Man, I wish these storms would let up for a while so I could do some more posting...LOL Anyway, welcome!

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby andyroo » Fri Jun 13, 2003 7:59 pm

Yo, whassup man. Nice hobbies you got there. Ahhh. I like to procrastinate alot, but that's summer for me. :) And welcome to the fun! :dance:
"As vinegar to the teeth and smoke to the eyes, so is a sluggard to those who send him." ~Proverbs 10:26
†
The Ideas Behind Anime |

The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.
A proud member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone! Join the fight!
andyroo

Postby Lightbringer » Fri Jun 13, 2003 10:22 pm

Hey there Mista Mancer!. glad to have you aboard. So why the handle? you work your magic on the programing stuff?

Lightbringer // Aaron
Lightbringer // Aaron

Image Image
Join up! Darklight-The Chronicles of Tairis epic RPG
http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=5233
Lightbringer

Postby Technomancer » Sat Jun 14, 2003 5:11 am

Comes natural when you've a degree in Electrical Engineering! My work/research mainly deals with problems in digital signal processing, although this generally requires good programming skills (specifically, I'm most comfortable with C/C++, Assembler, MATLAB, although I've been meaning to pick up Ada some time). My current project involves developing a virtual audio program for testing DSP algorithms for hearing aids. I've also done sonar work for the department of National Defence here in Canada.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Jun 14, 2003 7:53 am

What's your favorite webcomic, then? I would have guessed you were involved because of your avatar, anyway. In the slim chance that you don't read Megatokyo, I'm telling you that you should. Plus, though it's a webcomic, it would really fall under the manga bracket.

And, of course, hi and welcome to CAA.
uc pseudonym

Postby Technomancer » Sat Jun 14, 2003 9:01 am

Thanks for the welcomes! I do read Megatokyo, also 8-bit Theatre, It's Walky, Fans! and CRFH. Doonesbury (I know it's not a webcomic, but I get it online), and "This Modern World" are also good for a laugh. Incidentally, my avatar was ripped off 8-bit Theatre's website.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Jun 14, 2003 9:28 am

Another person on this site reads This Modern World? Sweet, I wouldn't have expected it. The other good webcomic I'd suggest is Captain SNES. It's on Keenspot, but I don't have an exact address. It can be hilarious, and the plot is good, but I'd warn about the language and some of the content. Then again, if you've read 8-bit Theatre, you won't see anything new...
uc pseudonym

Postby calbhach » Sat Jun 14, 2003 9:53 am

Welcome to CAA! Have fun!

Calbh

Adopted ~ The Melody Maker :)

Adopted by ~ CephasVII :D

Adopted as a pet by ~ 1BalloonPopper ^_^

Adopted pets ~ Marbles (1BalloonPopper) =D
calbhach

Postby Anison Twilight » Mon Jun 16, 2003 4:33 am

Rudementary Japenese

I know a little myself from a book I bought in Florida. It's called Essential Japanese. It's fairly old (1961) but I guess it still works, you never know...
Anison Twilight

Postby Technomancer » Mon Jun 16, 2003 7:18 am

I've kept all my textbooks and refer back to them. Noboru Inamoto's "Colloquial Japanese" is an excellent grammar by the way. Of course right now I'm concentrating on brushing up on my French since it'll be more helpful when I start looking for work..

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Return to Who's Who