Yoroshkuu Onegaishimasuu, Minna san!

If you're new to CAA, we invite you to tell us about yourself here. This is the place to post your own bio or read up on other members. Be as in depth as you like!

Yoroshkuu Onegaishimasuu, Minna san!

Postby DanekJovax » Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:17 pm

Hi, Everyone!

My name is Ethan Wilson (I go by DanekJovax, or Danek, or Great Ojiisan Ethan 'G.O.E.' elsewhere online), and I'm currently living in Richmond, Kentucky. You can check my profile for more information.

I really love anime, and I think I have since I was a little kid, watching shows like Speed Racer, Marine Boy, and Kimba the White Lion back when I was only 5 (though I didn't at the time realize it was really anime). Recently, my live for anime has 'led' me to making a simple, but effective home theater with which to enjoy one of my life's passions (http://www.geocities.com/danekjovax/DanekHT.html).

I also love Jesus (albeit in my own imperfect way), ever since I was born-again in June 3, 1992.

I'm married to a lovely small-town Kentucky 'lass, and we're expecting our first little 'bumpkin next March or April of 2004. Yatta!

Anyways, I've seen probably more anime than many in these forums, and at times may wax eloquent on a particular title or two (eg: Miyazaki is cool!) from time to time, so be forewarned.

Interestingly enough, I only heard about this Christian Anime Forum website from a conversation in a Direct Connect hub that is... shall I say it... twisted all out of shape that an actual CHRISTIAN would watch anime, of all things! Yup, many of the people in this particular chat are rather driven to stir things up in the midst of good christian fellowship circles, and I just happened to be there when they mentioned the URL to this website. Be forewarned, I'd reckon some of these members are trying to 'infiltrate' this forum just to find opportunities to stir up trouble.

Well, I'm not here to do that. I'm just here to see what the Lord is planning with this place and hope to be a positive part.

Anyways, as they say, "Yoroshkuu Onegaishimasuu!" *bow*

--- DanekJovax
DanekJovax

Postby Razgriz » Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:19 pm

Welcome, and enjoy your stay!
Razgriz

Postby Spiritsword » Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:25 pm

Hi Danek, welcome to CAA! You'll find that this is a very welcoming web community with a strong Christian focus. Sounds like you have quite an anime background, too.

And congrats on the little bumpkin on the way! :)

Spiritsword
Spiritsword

Postby DanekJovax » Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:30 pm

Spiritsword wrote:Hi Danek, welcome to CAA! You'll find that this is a very welcoming web community with a strong Christian focus. Sounds like you have quite an anime background, too.

Thanks, Spiritsword. Being rather Christian myself, of course this forum would attract my attention when I first heard of it, so here I am checking things out. :2)

Spiritsword wrote:And congrats on the little bumpkin on the way! :)

Thanks! Is it surprising that people in the anime clubs I hang out in are already suggesting anime names for our kid? "Kiki", "Goku", and "Yupa" have been a few suggestions I've heard... Kiki's got potential, though I'm not too keen on that witchcraft association (Liked the movie a LOT, despite it), but it is a cute name. The red bow in the hair would just be so kawaii! :2D

--- DanekJovax
DanekJovax

Postby Technomancer » Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:36 pm

Hey there and welcome to the board. :)
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Link Antilles » Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:38 pm

Greetings! Welcome to the forums!
Link Antilles

Postby Link Antilles » Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:38 pm

Greetings! Welcome to the forums!

(Sorry, about da double post.)
Link Antilles

Postby DanekJovax » Wed Sep 17, 2003 9:26 pm

Thanks, everyone, for your warm welcome! I've posted a 'bio' on the Who's Who forum. It's a long post, but I hope it helps you all see a little glimpse of this ojiisan, and have an enjoyable read in the process. :2) Ja

--- DanekJovax
DanekJovax

Postby Aywren » Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:13 pm

Just wanted to send my welcome out to you. It's a real shame some people would be out to do things like you've described -- though not much to my surprise. I'm just glad that despite whatever unpleasantries, there might be something good hidden in it for you! Please make yourself at home and most of all, have fun!
[align=center]~Just what you want to be, you will be in the end...~
Aywren

Postby shooraijin » Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:52 pm

Hajimemashite!
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Mithrandir » Thu Sep 18, 2003 4:07 am

Oh no, he got shooby started. :evil:

Welcome to he nuthouse!
Mithrandir

Postby DanekJovax » Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:11 am

What are you talking about, oldphilosopher? :2)
DanekJovax

Postby EireWolf » Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:16 am

Ah, I believe I can answer that, being the wife of oldphilosopher and friend of "shooby" (shooraijin).

Shoo likes to spout random Japanese phrases that most of the rest of us don't understand. He'll gladly explain them to you if you ask, too. In detail. :o

*pokes shoo in the ribs* :grin: :hug:

Anyway... A warm welcome to ye, DanekJovax! :lick: (okay, a warm and slightly damp welcome. Here's a towel.) :)
EireWolf

Postby Mithrandir » Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:18 am

yup
Mithrandir

Postby DanekJovax » Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:35 am

EireWolf wrote:Shoo likes to spout random Japanese phrases that most of the rest of us don't understand. He'll gladly explain them to you if you ask, too. In detail.

Ah, sooka?

I can get in the same mood myself, as I'm studying Japanese (written and spoken) on my own time, and via a japanese professor at the local university.

Watashi nihongo hanaste to soriwa romaji wakarimas utsukoshimasuyo!

I may enjoy seeing what he'll have to write in nihongo. >]. Nice to meet you too! [Pets the soft fur coat] ;2)
DanekJovax

Postby shooraijin » Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:23 pm

Dore romaji no hoohoo o tsukaimasu ka? Hiragana mo ii desu.

Nihongo wa, dono gurai benkyoo shimasu ka?
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby DanekJovax » Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:28 pm

Well, you got me already there, heh. :2) I've done some studying, but I'm still really basic in my knowledge, sumimasen.

Anyways, did you get my AIM msg?
DanekJovax

Postby shooraijin » Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:33 pm

That's all right, I'm still learning also. :)

shooraijin

Postby Gremio » Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:03 pm

@_@ now im confused!

Welcome here, G-d bless and I hope you have a good time!

Gremio

Location: The school of making funny locations for my forum profile

Postby Mithrandir » Thu Sep 18, 2003 7:46 pm

Yeah. Well, join the party. It's one thing to want to learn nihongo, it's another thing entirely to HAVE TAKEN YOUR DEGREE IN LINGUISTICS. Not that I am bitter I have chosen my field of experiance. I just think that I could LIVE in Nipon for, oh I dunno, a DECADE or so and still not talk as CORRECTly as shooby. Not that I am bitter... I can OOP better than him. :wink with muckiness:

We need a mucky wink... : |
Mithrandir

Postby Rashiir » Thu Sep 18, 2003 7:59 pm

Hey welcome!
"Be joyful always." - 1 Thes 5:16
Rashiir

Postby DanekJovax » Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:14 pm

Linguistics has been a growing interest with me, as I've studied English, Spanish, Japanese, German, Vietnamese, Latin, Greek, Norwegian, Swedish, and a smattering of other languages, and find interesting patterns amongst all of them.

Maybe I'll go back to college and do linguistics. :2)
DanekJovax

Postby andyroo » Fri Sep 19, 2003 8:18 pm

Hey man, welcome.

I looked at the title of this thread, and I could have seen this linguistics conversation come up a mile a way.
"As vinegar to the teeth and smoke to the eyes, so is a sluggard to those who send him." ~Proverbs 10:26
†
The Ideas Behind Anime |

The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.
A proud member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone! Join the fight!
andyroo

Postby DanekJovax » Fri Sep 19, 2003 8:24 pm

Hehe, thanks, andyroo! I thought that making such a title might do that as well, but I really just wanted to show readers that I've been trying to practice my romaji skills and this place was an appropriate place to do just that. ;2)

Wow... you're in 'Bama too... at least you're farther east than most of the CAA members in here. Those purple shades are definitely not 'Bama style though. >;2D

Nice to meet you... or... Hajimememashte!
<>< DanekJovax :2) ><>
DanekJovax

Return to Who's Who