~Are We Ever Gonna Learn to Fly~

If you're new to CAA, we invite you to tell us about yourself here. This is the place to post your own bio or read up on other members. Be as in depth as you like!

~Are We Ever Gonna Learn to Fly~

Postby Aywren » Mon Sep 08, 2003 7:37 pm

Why is it that intro posts are so hard for me to write? I always seem to spend forever and a day thinking about what I want to say. So bear with me... I’m a pretty shy (though friendly) person.

I was introduced to these boards and encouraged to post here by my best friend and web-partner, Syntyche – who is, BTW, new to the boards as of last night, too. Though I must say I am also familiar with Inkhana (if not personally, at least through fantastic artwork) and I’d like to say hello! ^_^

I’m 25 years old and a returning student to Francis Marion University in SC. I’ve already earned myself a BS in Psychology with a minor in Creative Writing. I’m headed back for the first time in two years as of a few weeks ago to get a second BS in Management of Information Systems (PC-type communication stuff). I love art (drawing and CG painting), writing, old-skool RPGs, a variety of musics and fiddling with PC-type stuff.

I’ve been a fan of the anime art style since long before it became popular here in the US. I try my hand at drawing it quite often... though I have a long way to go before I perfect my style – isn’t that a common thing amongst artists?

My biggest project at hand is in the upkeep of my website Sygnus.org – dedicated solely to the classic RPG, Final Fantasy IV. I also work side by side with Syntyche on a personal FFIV manga/doujinshi entitled “Wayriftâ€
[align=center]~Just what you want to be, you will be in the end...~
Aywren

Postby Michael » Mon Sep 08, 2003 7:39 pm

Welcome.
[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="4"]S.D.G.[/SIZE][/font]
Michael

Postby Razgriz » Mon Sep 08, 2003 7:40 pm

Welcome! and enjoy your stay! (I sound like an automated machine, heh)
Razgriz

Postby Technomancer » Mon Sep 08, 2003 7:41 pm

Hey, and welcome to the board
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby shooraijin » Mon Sep 08, 2003 7:41 pm

Hajimemashite! And aren't we all new and stumbling towards Christ, to a degree? :)
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Link Antilles » Mon Sep 08, 2003 7:47 pm

Welcome! Good to have you with us!
Link Antilles

Postby EireWolf » Mon Sep 08, 2003 7:49 pm

Welcome, Aywren! :lick: Glad to have you with us!

Yes, we are all on a journey... Not a one of us is *there* yet. We're all on the road together, so we can help each other when we stumble. :)
EireWolf

Postby Spiritsword » Mon Sep 08, 2003 7:59 pm

Hi Aywren, welcome to CAA! For someone with trouble writing into posts, I'd have to say that was pretty good! Can't wait to see some of your anime and faith-related posts! ;)

And another psychology major! I too graduated with a degree in psychology (BA), as well as a graduate degree. I know there's a third psych major hanging around these boards somewhere too! :)

Glad to have you here at CAA.

Spiritsword
Spiritsword

Postby MyrrhLynn » Mon Sep 08, 2003 8:00 pm

Yay! Welcome to CAA! I think you will find it to be a very nice place indeed. And most of us don't bite... hard. ;)

:x:Anti Yaoi Fans :x: Daystar Design :x: MyrrhLynn.NET :x: Need an avatar? Then Click here!

"Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES."
MyrrhLynn

Postby inkhana » Mon Sep 08, 2003 8:23 pm

Yay! Now you can see firsthand how crazy we all are! ^^ I'm just so glad you joined us. Love those oh so familiar avatars! ;)

As far as your Christian walk goes, anything you have a question about, don't hesitate to ask. People around here are loving and concerned and want to help, whether it's through advice or prayer requests.

Looking forward to getting to know you two a lot better!

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby blue elf » Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:31 pm

:) *big wave* Welcome to CAA!! I'm shy too, but more so when I have to talk face to face with people. ^^
-BlueElf
blue elf

Postby Mimichan » Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:21 pm

HI^_^

Hope you like it here:)

"Why do people not notice until they lose it?
What it is that's truly important...
Although I can't afford to forgive even myself,
Because you were there,
I was able to be myself (Natural).
I want to be honest...I want to be kind...
I want to be the adult I once (in my childhood) longed to be.
I go on fighting against the heart to run away...
I go on fighting against that invisible something!"
---

True Navigation: Two MIX
Mimichan

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Sep 09, 2003 5:37 am

Welcome, glad to have you with us. You don't seem to be all that bad at writing posts. Out of curiosity, could I have a link to that FFIV site?
uc pseudonym

Postby inkhana » Tue Sep 09, 2003 6:34 am

SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.

- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Thank you!! ^_^

Postby Aywren » Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:19 am

inkhana wrote:[color=darkgreen]It's http://www.sygnus.org. ]

Wow! Thank you Inkhana! :sweat: You beat me to the chase. Heh.

(Now let's see if I can reply en-mass here before I have to run off to first period!)

To Everyone -- Thank you all sooooo much for the warm welcomes! You guys sure know how to make someone feel a bit more confident around here! I'm looking forward to getting to know you guys!

uc pseudonym -- So yeah, there you go. Inkhana's been kind enough to plug my site for me! :lol: Enjoy!

Link Antilles -- Wow. You're in Greenville? It's surprising to see another person located in SC here! Nice to meet you!

Spiritsword -- I'm highly interested too... I didn't think to see others here with a Psychology degree. If I may ask, where did you go to school? I note that you graduated with a BA rather than a BS... around here the only difference is whether or not you took the foreign language requirement... so I'm not sure how it is where you're at!

And finally....

Inkhana -- HIIIIIIII! :grin: I'm really really happy to see you here! And to actually get to well... "meet" you! I'm also very interested in getting to know you better! I thank you for all your very kind comments on Wayrift and Sygnus and such! :red: I also see that you have a manga! Just as soon as I get the time (blah.. exam week) I really want to sit down and read through yours as well! Maybe we should do a link exchange -- only if you want to though!? I have to say again... how I absolutely adore your art!

Hrmm... well... I'd love to say a lot more but school calls. :shady: So take care all and have a blessed day!

TTFN!
~Aywren
Aywren

Postby inkhana » Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:34 am

Aywren wrote:Wow! Thank you Inkhana! :sweat: You beat me to the chase. Heh.
Inkhana -- HIIIIIIII! :grin: I'm really really happy to see you here! And to actually get to well... "meet" you! I'm also very interested in getting to know you better! I thank you for all your very kind comments on Wayrift and Sygnus and such! :red: I also see that you have a manga! Just as soon as I get the time (blah.. exam week) I really want to sit down and read through yours as well! Maybe we should do a link exchange -- only if you want to though!? I have to say again... how I absolutely adore your art!

TTFN!
~Aywren

As long as I've enjoyed Wayrift/Sygnus, I couldn't help myself...:D LOL

Anyway, yes, I'd love to do a link exchange. I have some banners and such on my page, but I don't really like most of them... *needs to make more or con unsuspecting friends into making some...* :P I'll add a link to you as soon as I get home. :)

- Frank Capra

- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Postby Aywren » Tue Sep 09, 2003 12:18 pm

inkhana wrote:As long as I've enjoyed Wayrift/Sygnus, I couldn't help myself...:D LOL

Anyway, yes, I'd love to do a link exchange. I have some banners and such on my page, but I don't really like most of them... *needs to make more or con unsuspecting friends into making some...* :P I'll add a link to you as soon as I get home. :)

Oh... but I like the current banner you're using! :jump:

I'm in the same boat with that however. I've been extremely lazy about banner making in the past. The one I'm using here on the boards is the newest... but it isn't on the site anywhere for usage. It's sorta big but if you want a more colorful banner, you can use that. Otherwise you have to deal with the little sprite banners I made like a year ago... ... ... ... *marks on list to make new banners for site now that she's thinking about it*

Anyhow... I'd be thrilled to link you! Is there a URL in particular that you want for me to use (I always ask just in case there's an entrance page I don't know about or such).

Take care!
~Wren
Aywren

Postby inkhana » Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:10 pm

http://www.krazyboodle.com/ink/ is the intro page. Thanks! ^^

- Frank Capra

- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Postby Mithrandir » Tue Sep 09, 2003 4:27 pm

Uh. Hello! Oh wait, we already did that.

Hmm...
Mithrandir

Postby Spiritsword » Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:07 pm

Hi Aywren!

I went to Illinois Wesleyan University, a small private school here in Bloomington, IL. Yes, we had to take foreign language classes. I only had to take two semesters, since I proficiencied out of the first two (four total). I'm actually not sure what the other differences are. I know IWU always emphasized a "well-rounded liberal arts education". I was in the Titan Band (pep band) one year, but that was not a requirement, only a side-note.

Spiritsword
Spiritsword

Postby Link Antilles » Tue Sep 09, 2003 8:40 pm

Link Antilles -- Wow. You're in Greenville? It's surprising to see another person located in SC here! Nice to meet you!

Yep, I've been stuck living here all my life. It's an alright place. Hey, most of my buddies live here and all of my strange family members are in other states. :thumb:

I'm equally surprised. Good to have another SC person! :dance:
Seeya around! :poke:
Link Antilles

Postby inkhana » Wed Sep 10, 2003 6:55 am

Syntyche wrote:Yeah Wren, I'm glad to see you too. *points* She's the artist. I'm the annoyance.

-S

Hey, you guys wanna help me pester random members? *draws a random member name from a hat and grins like this -> :evil:* LOL jk

- Frank Capra

- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Postby Ammaranth » Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:44 pm

--Chucks modem at Aywren--

No, wait! Catch it! That's my old 300 baud --it might be on it's way to being an antique!!!

But seriously, I just wanted to reply to your original post because it really reminded me of how I felt when I stumbled across this page. My initial reaction was something like, "You mean there are MORE of us . . ?" I lurked on the forums for a little while, and didn't join until a few days ago. There seems to be a lot of new people around here. Apparently there are quite a few Christian Anime fans. Anyhow, welcome to the board.

Ammaranth
Ammaranth

Postby Aywren » Sun Sep 14, 2003 1:23 pm

Ammaranth wrote:--Chucks modem at Aywren--

No, wait! Catch it! That's my old 300 baud --it might be on it's way to being an antique!!!

But seriously, I just wanted to reply to your original post because it really reminded me of how I felt when I stumbled across this page. My initial reaction was something like, "You mean there are MORE of us . . ?" I lurked on the forums for a little while, and didn't join until a few days ago. There seems to be a lot of new people around here. Apparently there are quite a few Christian Anime fans. Anyhow, welcome to the board.

Ammaranth

Ohh yes! Flying modems! :grin:

Anyhow, I can second the feeling. I was also surprised (and pleased) at the number of newcomers here. It's great that the place is attracting Christian Anime fans... I don't know about you, but I always wondered if I was a walking contradiction or something. :P

Welcome to the boards as well! Hope to see you around!
Aywren

Return to Who's Who