Crime and thriller favorites?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Crime and thriller favorites?

Postby Anisha93 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:55 am

Hey!! Is anyone here a myster or crime thriller lover?
I am looking for new novels and shows to watch! any suggestions?
"God works in strange ways. Sometimes you don't like it but hey! it works out in the end."

"There is no only one emotion in the world. If it is futile to say there is no hope it is equally futile to say there only despire.-" Shinrei Tantei Yakumo
Anisha93

Re: Crime and thriller favorites?

Postby Thunderscream872 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:44 am

Not all of these are super recent, but they'd be new to you if you haven't seen them before. :)

Dexter
Breaking Bad

I'd recommend those the most because they are very serialized. Other recommendations would be:

NCIS
Criminal Minds
Monk
Psych

Those focus way more on the crime element, whereas 24, Breaking Bad, and Dexter are more of thrillers/dramas. You might wanna check out Continuum--it combines crime/thriller with time travel and science fiction elements. It seem pretty interesting, but I just haven't got around to watching it lately. I also have heard Burn Notice and Homeland are really good, but I haven't seen either of them.

As far as anime go, I'd highly recommend Death Note and Psycho Pass. There both incredibly good and addicting.

These are all shows...I don't read many novels so I can't help you there.
"NO BLOOD! NO BONE! NO ASH!"

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

MyAnimeList - Anime-Planet - A room with a moose
Thunderscream872

Postby Anisha93 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:26 am

I have watched Dexter, breaking bad, NCIS and criminal minds. I don't about monk and psych....tell me about them!
"God works in strange ways. Sometimes you don't like it but hey! it works out in the end."

"There is no only one emotion in the world. If it is futile to say there is no hope it is equally futile to say there only despire.-" Shinrei Tantei Yakumo
Anisha93

Postby Roy Mustang » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:02 pm

Psych is an American detective comedy-drama. The series stars James Roday as Shawn Spencer, a young crime consultant for the Santa Barbara Police Department whose "heightened observational skills" impressive detective instincts allow him to convince people that he solves cases with psychic abilities.

The only show that I watch is Blacklist.
Roy Mustang

Postby drill » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:20 pm

@Anisha

Monk is a show that centers around a middle aged man that is a detective, with a severe case of OCD. While he is extremely smart, his OCD usually gets in the way and adds some comedy to the show.
drill

Postby Anisha93 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:35 pm

Ehh...They sound really Good! I can't wait to watxh them. He is OCD? literally? wow...he reminds me of my best friend. she is so nice and smart but so OCD about neatness....I sometimes keep her away from my room so she would not obsess about it.
Psych is a combi of supernatural and crime?

What is blacklist about?

Anisha93

Postby Thunderscream872 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:59 pm

Monk is hilarious and definitely worth watching! The main character can be incredibly frustrating to watch at times, but that's part of what makes that show so enjoyable. I watched season 3 and 4 of Psych and re-runs here and there. From what I remember there were no supernatural elements to the show. He just pretends to be a psychic.

Never watched The Blacklists. I hear its really good though.
"NO BLOOD! NO BONE! NO ASH!"

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

MyAnimeList - Anime-Planet - A room with a moose
Thunderscream872

Postby Roy Mustang » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:55 am

Anisha93 wrote:Psych is a combi of supernatural and crime?

Not really as supernatural. Shawn Spencer has always wanted to be a cop just like this dad, but for some reason, never made it as one. He has very good heightened observational skills like, remembering words on paper or seeing things around him that others don't see. He becomes a comes a private investigator and has an office name "Psych". When he becomes a crime consult for the PD, he tells them that he has psychic abilities which he doesn't.

What is blacklist about?

Raymond "Red" Reddington, a former government agent and one of the FBI's most wanted fugitives, surrenders at FBI Headquarters in Washington, D.C. He claims the FBI and he have similar interests in getting rid of dangerous criminals and terrorists. He makes an offer that the FBI cannot refuse and insists on one condition: Reddington will co-operate only with Elizabeth Keen, a rookie FBI profiler. Keen questions Reddington's sudden interest in her, but Reddington will only reveal that she is very special. After the FBI uses Reddington's information to locate a terrorist, Reddington reveals that this terrorist is only the first of many criminals that he will help them neutralize. Over the course of his own criminal career, he has made a "blacklist" of global criminals whom he believes are dangerous to society, most of whom are unknown to the FBI.
Roy Mustang

Postby Anisha93 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:21 pm

Ehh....sounds nice. 3 shows....wow...can't wait to watch!!

Anisha93

Postby Sissy » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:59 am

Could I suggest Leverage? My family just recently started watching it, and it's definitely on our list of favorites. :)

It's about five people--most of them super-criminals, turning over a new leaf--who team up to take down corrupt, powerful people whom the law can't touch; basically, it's the story of five Robin Hoods. The cons they pull are clever and interesting, the characters and their arcs are all wonderful, and it can be funny as heck--AND it's much cleaner than most modern crime shows. (Plus, since you're interested in Psych, it's interesting to note that one of the Leverage writers referred to Psych as their "brother show on another network." There are references to Leverage in one Psych episode, and vice versa.)
Sissy

Location: Go three blocks that way and take a right. Can't miss it.

Postby Anisha93 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:45 am

Ehhh...sounds cool!!!

Anisha93

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:53 am

Probably my favorite crime thriller show is Awake (it's only 13 episodes, so it's a relatively short watch). It's about a detective who was in a car crash with his wife and son. Ever since then, he's stuck between two realities - one where his son is dead and his wife is alive, one where his wife is dead and his son is alive - and he doesn't know which is a dream and which is reality. It's really cool to watch him solving mysteries while trying to work through this bizarre issue, and very quickly you begin to realize that there's a deeper mystery behind his accident....

I don't know if you're still interested in thriller novels, but...well, the best thriller I've ever read is I Am Not a Serial Killer by Dan Wells. I don't know if it's really what you're looking for, but basically it's about a sociopathic teenager who's obsessed with serial killers. Then serial killings start happening in his hometown, and he's the only one who can stop them because he's a hair's breadth away from becoming a serial killer himself. I found it fascinating and practically impossible to put down. There's also supernatural elements in the book - a monster the main character calls a demon, but as far as this book is concerned it's just a random monster.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Anisha93 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:43 am

You are a life saver!!! I was dying to read some new novels and you gave me a book to read!! I really want to hug you!
Awake is like a combination of supernatural stuff and crime?

Anisha93

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:51 am

Anisha93 wrote:You are a life saver!!! I was dying to read some new novels and you gave me a book to read!! I really want to hug you!
Awake is like a combination of supernatural stuff and crime?

You are most welcome ;) I'm just glad I could introduce someone to Dan Wells, because way more people need to read this amazing author's stuff (including me - I'm still trying to find a copy of the sequel, Mr. Monster).

Awake is more about psychological weirdness than supernatural stuff, I think, though a lot of it is open to interpretation. Is he just going completely nuts, or is he really caught between two parallel worlds? For the most part, they leave it up to you to decide.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Anisha93 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:58 am

I have epub version of Mr.Monster...PM me your email ID, I shall send it to you. If you want
I read all tge serires: I am not a seriel killer, Mr.Monster and I dont want to kill you. They were quite amazing and an eye opener

Anisha93

Postby LastLfan » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:30 pm

Leverage is great, awesome cast, especially Elliot, Psych and Monk are great too, my family loves these crime kinda comedy shows
LastLfan

Return to General Entertainment