The Official Star Wars Thread!

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

The Official Star Wars Thread!

Postby Kilvakar » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:19 pm

I was surprised not to see any Star Wars discussion threads on here, so I took the initiative to go ahead and make one! This is for anyone and everyone who wants to talk about anything to do with the Star Wars franchise. With Star Wars: Episode VII coming soon, you can be sure that this series will be back in the spotlight once again!
Image Image
"Comrade isn't simply a word. Comrades are about heart. It's the unconditional trust in your partners. Please, fell free to lean on me...And I, too, will lean on you as well."---Mavis Vermillion, First Master of Fairy Tail

"There are people in this world who enjoy being alone, but there isn't a single person who can bear solitude."---Makarov Dreyar, Third Master of Fairy Tail
Kilvakar

Re: The Official Star Wars Thread!

Postby ClaecElric4God » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:44 pm

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby Crossfire » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:59 pm

ClaecElric4God wrote:Image

I approve of this post.

Kinda feels weird to say it, but I think I'm more excited for the Rebels TV series than I am for Episode 7. And then there's the standalone movies, the first one dealing with a certain armour-clad bounty hunter. I wonder how much inspiration they'll take from the now-defunct EU.
Crossfire

Postby ClaecElric4God » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:51 am

Oh, hey. I forgot about the certain armour-clad bounty hunter movie. When is that going to be a thing?

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby Kilvakar » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:10 pm

Oh, I am definitely excited about a Boba Fett movie! I can't say I was surprised to hear Lucas denounce the EU, especially with the state it was in at the time. Many of the older Star Wars books were awesome, my favorites were the ones done by Timothy Zhan. But with the Yuuzhan Vong invasion things really went downhill, and by the time of the Legacy of the Force series, well, the entire galaxy was in the toilet again. :P

I wasn't really a huge fan of the Clone Wars series, so I guess I'm not all that hyped for Rebels, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Episode VII.

Want to hear something cool? I was at the Star Wars Weekends event at Disney's MGM Studios, and Jeremy Bullock (Boba Fett's actor) actually pulled my question out of a bowl and answered :D I asked what he thought of the books that happen after the Return of the Jedi, and he replied that the only ones he paid attention to were the ones about Boba Fett, lol!
Image Image
"Comrade isn't simply a word. Comrades are about heart. It's the unconditional trust in your partners. Please, fell free to lean on me...And I, too, will lean on you as well."---Mavis Vermillion, First Master of Fairy Tail

"There are people in this world who enjoy being alone, but there isn't a single person who can bear solitude."---Makarov Dreyar, Third Master of Fairy Tail
Kilvakar

Postby Thunderscream872 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:04 pm

I'm a little skeptical about Star Wars episode VII, I know some people feel that it's a good thing that George Lucas is out of the picture and is gonna have allot less to do with the development of the future films, but still, I'm a little skeptical about what Star Wars is gonna be like now. I just wonder what mindset the people at Disney are approaching the franchise with. Idk, I haven't done enough reading on the production of the new film to have a legit opinion.

Kilvakar wrote:Oh, I am definitely excited about a Boba Fett movie! I can't say I was surprised to hear Lucas denounce the EU, especially with the state it was in at the time. Many of the older Star Wars books were awesome, my favorites were the ones done by Timothy Zhan. But with the Yuuzhan Vong invasion things really went downhill, and by the time of the Legacy of the Force series, well, the entire galaxy was in the toilet again. :P

I wasn't really a huge fan of the Clone Wars series, so I guess I'm not all that hyped for Rebels, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Episode VII.

Boba Fett movie? Didn't hear about that until now. Sounds pretty interesting.

My brother is reading Zhan's book Heir to the Empire. Right now I'm reading Death Troopers, after I'm done with that, I plan to start reading Heir to the Empire.

Yeah, I didn't care much for the Clone Wars series either. I'm hoping Rebels is good, but I haven't looked up anything on it for the last six months, there probably all kinds of footage out now that I haven't seen.
"NO BLOOD! NO BONE! NO ASH!"

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

MyAnimeList - Anime-Planet - A room with a moose
Thunderscream872

Postby Kilvakar » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:42 pm

Well, other than the fact that they've at least talked to nearly all the actors from the original trilogy and it's going to take place after Return of the Jedi, I don't know anything about the upcoming movie either. I've been a Star Wars fan for even longer than I've been an anime fan, and while I'm keeping my fingers crossed, I hope that these new films will live up to the awesomeness of the originals.

I don't think it's 100% confirmed yet, but Disney's hinted at two spin-off movies, one starring a young Han Solo and another starring Boba Fett.

I think you'll definitely enjoy Heir to the Empire, it's awesome!
Image Image

Kilvakar

Postby Banana Lobster » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:55 pm

Not quite sure what to think of the upcoming movies; what exactly are they doing? It's been a while, so I don't remember when Episode 7 will be set after Episode 6 in the Star Wars timeline. To be honest, right now, I'd rather finish playing KotOR 2. :lol:

Zhan's books are awesome, I've read Heir to the Empire multiple times, and enjoyed it-and the sequels-every time, so I definitely recommend them to anyone interested in reading any Star Wars novels
Banana Lobster

Postby Kilvakar » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:20 pm

Apparently it's going to be set close enough after the original trilogy to have most of the major characters still alive and possibly appearing as supporting characters. Unless they plan to have them all appear in flashbacks, but I can't imagine them doing that...

But I hope you enjoy KOTOR 2, I did not, for reasons you will see if you haven't reached the end yet...

Yeah, Zhan's Star Wars should definitely have been included in the canon, if nothing else. You have Mara Jade and Talon Karrde, two of the most awesome EU characters ever created, and finally someone who appreciates Admiral Ackbar, lol!
Image Image

Kilvakar

Postby Thunderscream872 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:18 pm

I watched a trailer and couple other videos for Star Wars: Rebels the other day. I gotta say, I'm not really impressed. I kept my fingers crossed when the title was first announced thinking "maybe it won't be like Clone Wars", and "maybe it won't be full of annoying kid's cartoon tropes", but that's exactly the impression I'm getting from the trailer, but I suppose a one minute trailer shouldn't be read into that much.

I was just kinda hoping for a darker, more gritty feel (while still being aimed at general audiences, lol, after all, it's Star Wars not Game of Thrones), but this feels allot more like "silly space goofballs start a rebellion", rather than actual soldiers struggling against the Empire (which I would prefer).

Eh, I'll watch it when it premiers and give it a fair shot. Maybe it won't be so bad.

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

Thunderscream872

Postby Crossfire » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:53 pm

I don't know man, some of the Clone Wars episodes were pretty dark and carried some fairly serious material. Even some of the language was out-of-the-norm, I remember an episode from the first season, "Rookies" was the name I think. One of the troopers blurted out "What the hell was that?!" and some other variation. Was pretty tense.
Crossfire

Postby Thunderscream872 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:04 pm

I'm not saying that they weren't, I'm just saying in some cases it felt like a typical kids action cartoon. My issue is with the entire presentation from the silly narrator, to the way it looks, to just the way the characters act in it. I can't really explain it, I would need to go back and watch a few episodes to maybe help put it into words. I was an on and off viewer, I should probably go watch it all the way through so I can have a more legit opinion :)

Tbh, on occasion I did enjoy it, especially when it focused allot on the clones. The fight/action scenes were always very entertaining. I just wasn't happy with a few of the decision that were made in the story of the show, it made it hard for me to get into it.

Thunderscream872

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:10 am

I am very skeptical about Episode VII. They should have cut their losses before. Because, as much as I love Star Wars, I have to admit that even at its best, Star Wars has always been a bit silly. They've never had the best scripts or acting, and as many awesome ideas as you see on the screen, there are just as many unutterably stupid ones. The more they try to drag this story out, the worse it gets. So I'm going to see it out of morbid curiosity, but I'm 95% sure this movie is going to suck big time.

But since this is supposed to be a thread about Star Wars in general, I'll go ahead and ask: What is everybody's favorite movie? Mine is Episode I, which I know is a bit rare because of Jar-Jar, at least. (I'm one of a handful of people on the face of the earth who actually likes him.) But there are few things more awesome than this:

the_wolfs_howl

Postby Thunderscream872 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:28 am

Episode IV A New Hope is definitely my favorite. Believe it or not, my favorite used to be Episode I, but opinions change. But, honestly, I like all the Star Wars films allot--Original Trilogy, Prequels, whatever--they're all Star Wars to me, and I enjoy every movie :)

the_wolfs_howl wrote:What is everybody's favorite movie? Mine is Episode I, which I know is a bit rare because of Jar-Jar, at least. (I'm one of a handful of people on the face of the earth who actually likes him.)

In regards to Jar-Jar, I actually have always liked him and found him to be pretty funny for the most part; but he was in WAY too much of Episode I to the point where it was totally overbearing. Not to mention the fact that the fight between the Droids and the Gungans was basically a bad joke rather than a battle because of all his bumbling. I did like Jar-Jar, though. I think in a few years you're gonna see allot of people who like him simply cause they hate him so much, lol.

Thunderscream872

Postby Banana Lobster » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:07 pm

the_wolfs_howl wrote:I am very skeptical about Episode VII. They should have cut their losses before. Because, as much as I love Star Wars, I have to admit that even at its best, Star Wars has always been a bit silly. They've never had the best scripts or acting, and as many awesome ideas as you see on the screen, there are just as many unutterably stupid ones. The more they try to drag this story out, the worse it gets. So I'm going to see it out of morbid curiosity, but I'm 95% sure this movie is going to suck big time.

But since this is supposed to be a thread about Star Wars in general, I'll go ahead and ask: What is everybody's favorite movie? Mine is Episode I, which I know is a bit rare because of Jar-Jar, at least. (I'm one of a handful of people on the face of the earth who actually likes him.) But there are few things more awesome than this:

My favorite of the prequel trilogy is Episode I; my favorite of the original trilogy...I'm not sure, it's been a while since I saw any of them. Personally, I've always rather liked Jar Jar; he's always been amusing to me. But then again, the first time I saw the movie I was a little kid, so his antics were hilarious to me. He's still funny, but he doesn't make me laugh as much anymore.

And that is an awesome gif! :lol:
Banana Lobster

Postby Crossfire » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:28 pm

Agreed- I don't hate Jar-Jar as much as some people either. Also dittoing Episode 1 as my favourite in the prequel trilogy, although RotS comes really close. Can't choose a single film from the original movies... I love them all.
Crossfire

Postby Kilvakar » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:00 pm

Jar-Jar really isn't that bad imo either. I agree that I liked Phantom Menace the best from the new trilogy. Can't pick a favorite movie from the original trilogy, I see them more as a whole story than individual movies.

I know it'll probably have an equal chance of being horrible or mediocre, but after seeing how Disney handled the Avengers after acquiring Marvel, I still have hope!
Image Image

Kilvakar

Postby Thunderscream872 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:41 am

Just finished reading Death Troopers, and I really enjoyed it. It was lots of fun seeing how zombies could work into the Star Wars universe.

Now onto Heir to the Empire. :)

I'm also thinking of checking out Dark Horse's Star Wars: Republic comic series. I remember reading some of them when I was quite a bit younger (like 9 or 10ish) and I remember thinking they were pretty cool back then. I actually thought back to them when I was watching some of the Clone Wars (2003) cartoon on YouTube.

Anyone else read Star Wars comics?

Thunderscream872

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:18 pm

Several years ago, I read a series whose name I can't recall, which was set waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the Old Republic, I think. Jedi fought with lightsabers powered by backpack generators. A very different Star Wars than the one we're used to.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Thunderscream872 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:43 pm

Anyone else watch the first episode of Star Wars: Rebels?

I actually enjoyed it, and I really didn't think I would. For the first ten minutes I was thinking it was just gonna be another action show, but by the end of the episode (or double episode, idk, it was like 40 minutes long), I found it to be pretty entertaining. The story seemed a bit rushed, and they definitely could have dragged this out over 3-4 episodes; but, whatever, what can you expect from a kids' shows. The characters were also pretty good, and I initially was very apprehensive about them.

Anyway, I'd give this first episode a 7/10.

Thunderscream872

Postby Crossfire » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:55 am

Clone Wars became a good series by the end, so hopefully this one will follow suit. And though it's expected, I kinda hate that they're portraying the Stormtroopers as utterly useless... IIRC at this point in time shouldn't a majority of the Troopers still be clones?
Crossfire

Postby mechana2015 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:42 am

the_wolfs_howl wrote:But since this is supposed to be a thread about Star Wars in general, I'll go ahead and ask: What is everybody's favorite movie?

Episode V or VI. Best action, best story.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Xeno » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:30 pm

Empire is the best Star Wars movie. Everything else is irrelevant.
Xeno

Postby mdmrn » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:38 am

Xeno wrote:Empire is the best Star Wars movie. Everything else is irrelevant.

True, it is the best movie.

I actually enjoyed the prequel trilogy with my favorite being Revenge of the Sith. I liked the Clone Wars series and haven't had a chance to catch up and watch Rebels yet. I want to, but my kids don't want to & I don't get a lot of opportunities to sit and watch that otherwise.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the new Star Wars films. J.J. Abrams did an excellent job on his Star Trek reboot, I felt. Also, with the writers of Empire on-board, it should be a solid script. And for those who are concerned about Disney being involved - might I remind everyone that Marvel Studios is owned by Disney which has produced since becoming part of Disney some excellent films including Guardians of the Galaxy & the Avengers! :)
MDMRN
Christian -- Dad -- Husband -- Engineer -- Conservative -- Beard Aficionado -- General Dork
mdmrn

Return to General Entertainment