Entertainment Based On Shows From Other Countries

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Entertainment Based On Shows From Other Countries

Postby ashfire » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:51 pm

If someone has not seen it done before. Some TV, movies or other entertainment from other countries have been used to create shows or stories say like here in the US. The Office some may know was done in England and then done here. Now how many US entertainment programs have been redone in other countries? "All In The Family" was a English TV program before it was done here.
I have thought how long it will be when you may hear of a Japanese version of "Under The Dome" or "Revolution"?
ashfire

Re: Entertainment Based On Shows From Other Countries

Postby John_Smith » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:23 pm

Well, I think a lot of people know this one, but The Seven Samurai was the basis of The Magnificent Seven. They also inspired the anime Samurai 7 and Pixar's A Bug's Life.
John_Smith

Postby LastLfan » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:00 pm

Nickelodeon show house of anubis was based off a swedish show i believe, survivor also was based off another show. Almost all reality shows on fox now(masterchef, x factor) america's got talent was based off britain's got talent. Being human had a british version first
LastLfan

Postby GhostontheNet » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:00 am

I think this is one of the effects of the present stage of globalization, of which anime fandom has been one happy early manifestation. Basically, the era in which America can assume that it can impose its symbols, culture, and narratives on the world on a one-sided basis is over. The era of streaming video services has increased the consciousness of television media content in other countries, whereas previously cinema had been the global medium and television the national medium. What’s happening now is a cultural cross-pollination of style, tropes, and influences.

Sometimes there is a tendency toward international co-productions to compete with American media productions at their level. Such is a familiar strategy for global cinema, and television is increasingly taking on cinematic production values in an epic narrative format. I think the tendency toward remakes of foreign media to legitimize what a smaller audience has already happily discovered, and introduce the narrative to a wider audience that avoids foreign media as such, is a predominantly American conceit. To be sure, some truly brilliant productions have been made because of this conceit, but there’s always the tinge of cultural xenophobia toward narrative beneath this commercial reality.
GhostontheNet

Postby Nate » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:12 pm

Don't forget Power Rangers and Masked Rider/Kamen Rider! Which are based on the Japanese Super Sentai and Kamen Rider series.

Fun fact: some Power Rangers seasons were dubbed into Japanese, which is pretty hilarious when you consider they were watching an American adaptation of a Japanese show.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby rocklobster » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:06 am

Waaay back in the 90's, Nickelodeon showed a cartoon called David The Gnome, which I believe was made in cooperation with Sweden.
rocklobster

Return to General Entertainment