Pacific Rim

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Pacific Rim

Postby Yuki-Anne » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:59 pm

Who wants to see this?

There are two things that make me want to see this movie:

1. Idris Elba is freaking cool. And the fact that they're letting him be British in this movie is also freaking cool.

2. I like that there's a Japanese character. You can't not have a Japanese character in a movie about giant robots.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Re: Pacific Rim

Postby bigsleepj » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:31 am

This movie is by Guillermo del Toro, a director I'm a fan off. They say its just a 'sit down and have fun' film, as opposed to his other films that tend to be more heady. Unfortunately I have to wait until the end of the month before I can watch it. :)
bigsleepj

Postby Panda4christ:3 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:40 pm

I really wanna see it :3
...because...robots are just cool XD;;
"People need fear, we experience it so we can grow stronger"-Maka Albarn
Panda4christ:3

Location: There are some things you should just keep to yourself

Postby Davidizer13 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:25 am

Just got back from an early show, and man, this movie is the bomb-diggity. When it comes to the giant robots fighting giant monsters front, Pacific Rim delivers completely. There are so many moments where I thought, "they aren't seriously going to do that, are they?" and sure enough, they did, and it was awesome. Even when it gets silly, and it does often, between the off-kilter scientist subplots, completely predictable plot and improbably ethnic characters, it expects you to shut up and come along with it, and you'll do it gladly because you paid your ten bucks to see the giant robot fights. (And speaking of the characters, check out the Russian pilots' Scopedog helmets.) Never mind the fact that the dialogue's trying so hard to be quotable and catch phrase-y that it fails to sound natural, and the bad accents that everyone has, that mecha just picked up a handful of shipping containers and is using them as brass knuckles. Forget how stiff and boring the leads are (especially compared to Ron Perlman, who is having the time of his life) because they just rocket-spammed a big ugly rhinoceros lizard to death. It's not deep, it's not the greatest film of our time, but it's a lot of fun.

Also, maybe it was just the theater I was in and that I've got sensitive ears, but the the movie was really loud - my ears are still pounding.
Davidizer13

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:49 pm

Idris Elba is like the coolest guy ever. He's also from The Wire which makes him triple cool.

Also as a heterosexual guy, Idris Elba is one sexy man.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Crossfire » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:07 pm

Crossfire

Postby ClaecElric4God » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:39 am

Whaaat? Despicable Me 2? *sigh*

Anyhow, I didn't even know or care about this movie till you guys started talking about it. Now I'm rather interested to see it.
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby Mullet Death » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:56 am

I can't even pretend otherwise, I freaking loved this movie. IMAX 3D blew me away as usual. I would go watch this again if asked and am probably going to pre-order the Blu-ray. Reminded me of why I loved Power Rangers as a very young kid. Every bit of this movie was manly and awesome...and I mean, come on, one of the robots smacked a giant monster with a boat like it was a baseball bat! A BOAT!

I Am Mullet Death, Undisputed Ruler of the Mole and Crab People! Fear me!
Mullet Death

Postby bigsleepj » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:29 am

Crossfire wrote:Image

bigsleepj

Postby AnimeGirl » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:17 pm

Saw this at the midnight showing, and LOVED IT!! I seriously felt like cheering at certain parts of the film, but restrained myself from certain embarrassment. I loved the plot, how the mecha had to be piloted by two people (I don't think even anime has done synchronization like that yet..that I know of, anyway), and I personally liked the two leads. Their interaction with each other was fun, and sometimes adorable.

The opening part of the movie was probably the best
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: When he and his brother were out there, and being struck with his loss. Very emotional.
As well as Mako's flashback.

The comic relief with the two odd scientists was pretty fun. Made the movie all the more enjoyable. This definitely was a movie to just sit back and have some fun, and the plot was in-depth enough for what it is. Some might not find it very in-depth, BUT FOR WHAT IT IS I felt it actually was. You may not know the characters long, but you want to root for them. You know their purpose for fighting, and that's all you really need. Kind of like how Twister was, you didn't know them long but you loved following them and their story anyway.

My brother and I plan to see it one more time in the theater before it's out. I hadn't enjoyed a film like this in awhile! It did not disappoint me. Sure, there were some things that did, but you can't say a movie is perfect. Definitely a 9/10!

Now....if you want to see a really bad movie, watch the mockbuster "Atlantic Rim" oh my gosh, my brother and I laughed so hard it was so bad...that..that slow motion just... XD
AnimeGirl

Postby Crossfire » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:07 pm

bigsleepj wrote:
Crossfire wrote:Image

A-at least there's still DVD/Bluray sales, right?
Crossfire

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:24 am

That was exactly what I wanted, and exactly what I expected, start to finish.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:08 pm

I had a blast during this film. Best of the year so far!
GrubbTheFragger

Postby blkmage » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:37 pm

Obligatory fun fact: the Tokyo street in Mako's memory is actually Elizabeth Street between Dundas and Toronto City Hall. The kaiju shows up and bursts through where city hall should be.
blkmage

Postby Peanut » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:12 pm

I saw it today. My review of this movie in one sentence would be: What Transformers should have been.
Peanut

Postby Xeno » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:50 am

I haven't seen this yet. This is Eva 4.0 right?
Xeno

Postby Crossfire » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:05 pm

Just bought and watched the bluray.

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Cherno and Typhoon's premature death still tick me off. Otherwise a great film. Can't wait for the sequel.
Crossfire

Postby Wild Eagle » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:35 am

I saw it a few months ago. Though I must confess I felt as if I was sitting through a propaganda film legitimizing the American presence and involvement in Asia, it was really well done propaganda! :P On a technical level the film was amazing, and the Jaegers were pretty cool.

blkmage wrote:Obligatory fun fact: the Tokyo street in Mako's memory is actually Elizabeth Street between Dundas and Toronto City Hall. The kaiju shows up and bursts through where city hall should be.

How did I not notice this?! I'll have to rewatch the film just to see that!
Wild Eagle

Postby Xeno » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:45 am

It was a fun movie. Doubt I'll buy it on BD though since I didn't really enjoy it as much as some people.

Wild Eagle wrote:Though I must confess I felt as if I was sitting through a propaganda film legitimizing the American presence and involvement in Asia, it was really well done propaganda! :P

Xeno

Postby MomentOfInertia » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:31 am

Xeno wrote:It was a fun movie. Doubt I'll buy it on BD though since I didn't really enjoy it as much as some people.

Wild Eagle wrote:Though I must confess I felt as if I was sitting through a propaganda film legitimizing the American presence and involvement in Asia, it was really well done propaganda! :P

That image doesn't work for me; and if I separate out the link I get a runtime error page.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby ashfire » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:23 pm

I bought the DVD and then I heard that Nekocon would show it during the con twice. What they did was ask that anyone attending would pay $2.00 and the money would go to charity for humanitarian purposes. I wanted to see it big screen so I seen it that way at the con.
ashfire

Postby rocklobster » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:36 am

Just watched it thanks to the library. Not bad.
rocklobster

Return to General Entertainment