Otome games: Okay for christians?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Otome games: Okay for christians?

Postby Dabstract » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:18 pm

Yes I'm new but hey, I don't need to be shy right? Well otome basically means "maiden". So otome games are maiden games. Or games for girls.
Otome gaming isn't new. They are like dating simulations with anime-like graphics. A lot of them are floating around the internet in both Japanese and English. I'm wondering if they are considered appropriate for Christian girls. Of course not all of them are good. Like not all anime is good. I think they are okay as long as they don't cross any lines.
You are welcome to post your opinions here. :P
Dabstract

Re: Otome games: Okay for christians?

Postby Yuki-Anne » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:54 pm

Never played it, never even heard of it til today. Sounds pretty creepy, though.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby Panda4christ:3 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:21 am

Dabstract wrote: I think they are okay as long as they don't cross any lines.

I feel the same :P some of them seem harmless enough to me, but I've never actually played one so ^^;;

But....your sig XD *can't stop laughing*
"People need fear, we experience it so we can grow stronger"-Maka Albarn
Panda4christ:3

Location: There are some things you should just keep to yourself

Postby GeneD » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:10 am

I've played and enjoyed a few otome games. I think, like with all media, each game should be judged for content appropriateness individually. However, due to their obscurity it might be hard to find out what the actual content is before starting it. At the very least I'd put it on par with reading a romance novel.

Yuki-Anne wrote:Never played it, never even heard of it til today. Sounds pretty creepy, though.

I respectfully disagree.
GeneD

Postby Mullet Death » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:37 am

Don't know the first thing about them per se, not being a girl, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that, for the most part, as long as we're not talking about BL games or the game equivalent of "erotic" novels I'd say you're okay.

I Am Mullet Death, Undisputed Ruler of the Mole and Crab People! Fear me!
Mullet Death

Postby Vega » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:51 pm

Ask God. Who knows? Maybe he enjoys them
Vega

Postby KazeShiki » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:11 pm

I am of the opinion that otome games are as okay as any other media. As you said, there's good and bad and it would be wrong to judge the medium as a whole one way or the other. I've never played any since, well, I'm a guy so they don't appeal to me but for the most part, I don't see any inherent problem with them. I know for a fact there are a handful of very well written stories for this genre though I'm not aware whether they have English translations or not. If you just be careful and smart about what you choose (like most things in life) to play, I think it's fine.
"It was then that I found the darkness in my heart, but I wanted to become a strong person who didn't yield to such weakness." - Nana Mizuki
KazeShiki

Return to General Entertainment