If you ran Doctor Who...

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

If you ran Doctor Who...

Postby rocklobster » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:50 am

a friend of mine and I were talking about what I would do if I were the showrunner for Doctor Who. I told him that I'd probably put in lots of episodes where he meets different historical figures. And maybe a copy of Pino from Ergo Proxy (for those who don't know who she is, try to picture the most adorable android girl ever playing a keyboard. There you go) for a companion. What changes would you make?
rocklobster

Re: If you ran Doctor Who...

Postby Ante Bellum » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:42 am

I'd have shut it down long before it became a soap opera.
Ante Bellum

Postby bigsleepj » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:55 am

I'd have more obscure historical characters (Madame de Pompadour, if you're not French, that is) in the series.
bigsleepj

Postby Xeno » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:44 am

bigsleepj wrote:I'd have more obscure historical characters (Madame de Pompadour, if you're not French, that is) in the series.

Steven Moffat beat you to that one.
Xeno

Postby DecooPunk » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:51 am

Ante Bellum wrote:I'd have shut it down long before it became a soap opera.

This.
They write waaay too many episodes where its just like "Rory I love you!" "Rory, lets get divorced!" "Which Amy do I loooove?!" And rory is dead again and again. So annoying >.<
DecooPunk

Postby Xeno » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:10 pm

DecooPunk wrote:
Ante Bellum wrote:I'd have shut it down long before it became a soap opera.

This.
They write waaay too many episodes where its just like "Rory I love you!" "Rory, lets get divorced!" "Which Amy do I loooove?!" And rory is dead again and again. So annoying >.<

Ugh, yeah, I know what you mean. Character development is awful, I hate paying attention to that stuff. Needs more stuff like those dinosaurs on a spaceship, and reversing polarity to the deflector dish.
Xeno

Postby Peanut » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:56 pm

I'd let Michael Bay direct it.
Peanut

Postby bigsleepj » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:35 am

Xeno wrote:Steven Moffat beat you to that one.

That was an example, not a suggestion, as I am aware of that episode, having seen it and also happening to own it on DVD. I meant more historical characters like her who aren't too well known, as opposed to more famous ones like Vincent van Gogh, Charles Dickens and William Shakespeare, who almost everyone with a television set or the internet knows of to some degree.
bigsleepj

Postby Bobtheduck » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:39 pm

I liked the Amy and Rory stuff, except for the cheap death thing... I want death to be permanent. Even bringing Rose's dad back, as indirect as it was, was a little bit cheesy.

I read a quote that I guess was from the Master suggesting he met the 12th or 13th doctor, meaning we at least have that long to go, but I'm a fan of things that end, so I want to see an actual ending someday. No more regenerations. Also, since some of the Time Lords came back once, why couldn't it happen again, but this time the Evil ones could be defeated? I haven't seen much of classic Dr. Who yet, so I don't know all the details behind the Time Lords being sealed away, and why he would consider his entire race to be dangerous or evil enough to wipe out and seal away (yet he is conveniently above that) I mean, he keeps saying he's the "Last of the time Lords" but that's obviously not true, in an absolute sense.

Anyhow, I haven't seen enough of the Classic show to have the background needed to write for the show, but I do want to see more Time Lords and an actual end at some point... in the next few years...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby rocklobster » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:14 am

bob, if you want an idea, watch the Trial of a Timelord arc.
rocklobster

Postby AdriTan » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:50 am

While I myself loved the Amy and Rory dramatic episodes, I do think that episodes like that should be farther apart and that there needs to be some more random crazy fun/danger. The funnest episodes to watch are the ones where: 1. Things just randomly happen that blow your mind and yet somehow are also predictable in a funny way 2. Episodes much later in the series that refer to crazy random episodes.
For example, the episodes "The Lodger," "Closing time," and "Up all night" were absolutely great. While there was an air of predictability, there was also random thrown about like clothes and things thrown about a dirty yet organized room.

Also, I love episodes that make you scared of everyday objects. I will never look at statues, dark, double shadows, gas masks, Christmas trees, Santa, snow (something I see a lot of usually), or copy catting the same.
AdriTan

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:54 am

Bobtheduck wrote:I read a quote that I guess was from the Master suggesting he met the 12th or 13th doctor, meaning we at least have that long to go, but I'm a fan of things that end, so I want to see an actual ending someday. No more regenerations.

The kiss from River gave him an unspecified number of Regenerations back, most likely so the show wouldn't end soon. According to older canon (before that episode) we were pretty much near the end as I think 12 was the last normal doctor, then 13 was the last one and he was some sort of terrifying... entity (IIRC I'm a little hazy on that whole bit). With the show becoming so successful I'm pretty sure they don't want it to potentially end in 2-3 seasons.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Return to General Entertainment