Good American "Independent" movies

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Good American "Independent" movies

Postby impact777 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:58 am

Hi! :) I really like good movies and so I'm also interested in nice American "independent" movies. I'm thinking of "real" independent movies, and movies with an independent touch. It's also cool when they have a pretty clean content (concerning bad religous content, bad message or nudity). So I'll list some I really like and I would be glad if you also could list your favs, if you have some. ^^

-Lars and the real girl
-Garden State
-500 days of Summer
-Station Agent
-Win Win
-Moonrise Kingdom
-Bottle Rocket
-Up in the air
-The Descendants
-City Island
-Stranger than fiction
-Little Miss Sunshine
-Sideways (although there is some nudity and bad message in it)
-Pieces of April
-Coffee and cigarrets
impact777

Re: Good American "Independent" movies

Postby bigsleepj » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:52 am

The term "Indie movie" is somewhat blurred these days as many movies have some studio involvement one way or the other. Also, finding a clean indie-movie can be daunting as they tend to live on being transgressive. Here are my favourites:

Fargo by the Coen Brothers
And here ya are, and it's a beautiful day. Well. I just don't understand it. A very strange movie but one of my all-time favourites. Nudity and lots of violence, yet somewhat warm-hearted and tender, and the contrast between the violent criminals and the down-to-earth hero (a pregnant female sheriff) is what makes this a powerful, different movie.

Moonrise Kingdom by Wes Anderson
One of my favourite movies of last year, certainly in a league of its own.

Sunshine State by John Sayles
This is a slice-of-life story about a small community on the coast of Florida dealing with news of developers taking over the city, and is content is being nothing more than that. Almost absolutely clicheless to the point that it almost has no plot except character development, but can be haunting and beautiful in its own way.

There will be Blood by Paul Thomas Anderson
An oil-baron in the making goes prospecting, but starts a cold war with a local preacher. There is a dark religious angle to it, but on some level the movie tends to be neutral towards religious people in general. However, the 'villain' of the movie is a false-prophet preacher, but his non-religious adversary (the protagonist) is arguably no better, just a bit more devious with his falsehoods. Not as violent as the title suggests but can be disturbing on another level.
bigsleepj

Postby impact777 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:55 pm

bigsleepj wrote:The term "Indie movie" is somewhat blurred these days as many movies have some studio involvement one way or the other. Also, finding a clean indie-movie can be daunting as they tend to live on being transgressive.

Yes, I also think so. Therefore I also wrote "movies with an independent touch". And yeah, you're right. Indie movies are often not clean. So I'm always on the search for some good clean ones. :) I haven't heard of "Sunshine State" so far, so I'll check it out. Thank you!
impact777

Postby Makachop^^128 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:36 pm

MoonRise kingdom is amazing, so is Eternal sunshine of a spotless mind.
Makachop^^128

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:24 pm

Jamin William's "INK".
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Warrior4Christ » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:00 am

Primer. Probably as independent as you can get - done on a $7000 budget, but done well nonetheless (but it's intentionally confusing and a bit of an achievement to work out what's going on).
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby impact777 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:21 am

Thanks W4C! I'll check Primer out. Sounds interesting. ^^
Makachop: Yeah! Moonrise Kingdom is really great.
impact777

Return to General Entertainment