The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Postby Vilo159 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:23 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOGsB9dORBg&sns=em

DAT DWARF SONG.

Anyone else absolutely ecstatic for this movie to come out on the 14th? It's going to be so awesome! This whole week I've been watching the trailers over and over, singing that song (in the correct octave :cool: ), I arranged the awesome orchestral part for the brass players in my band, I'm hopefully getting a Hobbit-themed ocarina for my birthday coming up, I've been rewatching all my LotR movies and rereading all the books, etc. I'm pretty stoked. I've been waiting for this for years, and I don't think it will disappoint.
Vilo159

Re: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Postby Neane » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:47 pm

I want to, but..
Neane

Postby Vilo159 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:20 pm

Don't watch it in 3-D then. It's still gonna be just as cinematically good, and you won't get nauseated. And that article sounds like it was only a few isolated cases reported, not everyone who sees it.
Vilo159

Postby Crossfire » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:25 pm

Wait, we already have a Hobbit thread. Unless it was lost during the move. : /

Edit: Yep, it got deleted. Sigh.

At any rate, I'll be seeing it in 24fps for that classic movie experience.
Crossfire

Postby Vilo159 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:41 pm

Crossfire wrote:Wait, we already have a Hobbit thread. Unless it was lost during the move. : /

Edit: Yep, it got deleted. Sigh.

At any rate, I'll be seeing it in 24fps for that classic movie experience.

I checked to make sure we didn't have one, but I didn't think of it getting deleted. Sorry about that.
Vilo159

Postby Roy Mustang » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:21 pm

I was ecstatic for this movie to come out until, they are going to make into three parts now. Now I really don't care and what I'm waiting for is Les Mis!
Roy Mustang

Postby Yuki-Anne » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:18 am

I'm not giving up on it just because it's three movies. That seems like a lame reason to stop being excited for something this awesome. Peter Jackson is not the type to do that just because he wants money; he'll do it because he genuinely feels that he needs to do it to do justice to his source material.

The Lord of the Rings trilogy was incredibly well done, and I trust Jackson and his crew to do an AMAZING job with the Hobbit.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby Crossfire » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:38 am

Indeed. I'm just hoping that they don't overdo the not-in-the-book scenes.
Crossfire

Postby Roy Mustang » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:15 pm

Yuki-Anne wrote:I'm not giving up on it just because it's three movies. That seems like a lame reason to stop being excited for something this awesome. Peter Jackson is not the type to do that just because he wants money; he'll do it because he genuinely feels that he needs to do it to do justice to his source material.

The Lord of the Rings trilogy was incredibly well done, and I trust Jackson and his crew to do an AMAZING job with the Hobbit.

I don't see Jackson doing this to make more money. It may end up being great, but its 3 three hour movies, it's probably too much, if it's three 1.5-2 hour movies then ok. I just lost a little be of excite over it due to the fact that there are now other movies coming out at the same time that I want to see more now.
Roy Mustang

Postby Yuki-Anne » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:01 pm

Runtime: 166 minutes.

I'm assuming they're going to take a lot of time to establish the characters of the different dwarves. Fourteen is a LOT of main characters and in a movie you've got to work hard to make sure they don't all blend together. I recently reread the Hobbit and I think a couple of the dwarves only spoke once, if at all. So right there that's going to add some material that's not in the book just so that the audience can identify and like the main characters.

Plus the extra material from the Return of the King appendices, which I'm sure would have made a full-length film on their own.
Yuki-Anne

Postby SierraLea » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:43 pm

My family is going to see this over Christmas, which I hate. I can't watch anything with Golem in it. That character seriously freaks me out!
SierraLea

Postby Sheenar » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:32 pm

I want to go see this SO badly! Sadly, finances do not permit at this time. A friend is taking me to see Les Mis, though, on Christmas Day. :)

Gollum, to me, is a very interesting character. He doesn't scare me so much as he intrigues me. It's interesting to see how much the Ring has changed him --I could go on for quite a while about this, so I'll stop there. :)
Sheenar

Postby Crossfire » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:08 pm

If your seriously worried about Smeagal, he'll only be in the movie for 15 minutes at most. He doesn't have as big as a role as the first three movies.
Crossfire

Postby Zeldafan2 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:48 am

I'm really psyched for this movie. Sure, for a hobbit, Bilbo may look too skinny, and dividing the book into three movies makes me wonder how they'll pace the plot, but I'm really excited to see how Peter Jackson adapts this prequel to the Lord of the Rings.
Zeldafan2

Postby Yuki-Anne » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:51 pm

But if you watch some of the available footage of Martin Freeman as Bilbo, you'll see how perfect he is. He brings so much personality and charisma into the role. Personally, I think he'll be an even better lead than Elijah Wood was.
Yuki-Anne

Postby Crossfire » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:52 pm

Well, crap. All the theaters close to me are only showing the movie in 48FPS and 3D. No 24 frame/2D in sight.
Crossfire

Postby Atria35 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:23 pm

Crossfire wrote:Well, crap. All the theaters close to me are only showing the movie in 48FPS and 3D. No 24 frame/2D in sight.

This doesn't surprise me since it was only filmed in 48FPS.
Atria35

Postby Crossfire » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:16 pm

Er, no. They produced a 24 frame version, you just need to find a theater that's running it.
Crossfire

Postby Sammy Boy » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:44 am

My wife and I want to watch this, however we are not keen on the 3D version. The thing is, there are only two cinemas showing the non-3D version, and they are like 1.5 hours drive from where we live...
Sammy Boy

Postby Crossfire » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:49 pm

Sigh, I'm in the same situation. As much as I'd like to watch it the opening day... I have to work on Friday and Saturday, so time is very limited.
Crossfire

Postby Atria35 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:00 pm

Going to see it tomorrow about 6. Wanted to wait until my aunt had come home from teaching to take her. Am also taking my cousin along. Gonna be awesome! (Also, we are not seeing the 3D version. I wasn't about to pay for that)
Atria35

Postby Crossfire » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:55 pm

Out of curiosity, how much do movie tickets usually cost in the States? Seems like it's a different price in each city up here...
Crossfire

Postby Bobtheduck » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:15 am

Not wanting the 3d version, I can understand. I mean, it's more expensive, too. But the 48 FPS version?

I'll never understand people who get UPSET by a higher framerate. I can guarantee you if kids are raised on 60 or 120 fps, they'll feel old 24 fps movies are jerky. It's just that you expect movies to be 24. You're used to the feel it gives you, and people tend to associate higher framerates with TV. It's an artificial thing, though. Films were only 24 FPS to save money on film. This isn't really a problem anymore, since most theaters are digital. If you watch enough movies at a higher framerate, you'll get used to it. I wish they'd make the movies in 60 or 120 fps instead of 48. That way it doesn't look weird when you put it on a TV, which multiples of 24 WILL.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Sammy Boy » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:22 am

Crossfire wrote:Out of curiosity, how much do movie tickets usually cost in the States? Seems like it's a different price in each city up here...

However expensive it is I doubt it will cost more than movie tickets in Australia - $25.50 AUD per adult. One reason why we only watch films we really want to see, and rent the rest on DVD when it's available.
Sammy Boy

Postby Vilo159 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:05 am

Is the 48 fps only for the 3D, or can you find the 2D in 48 too?

Also, did anyone go to the midnight showing? I desperately wanted to, but studying for finals prevented me. I'm going to see it later today.
Vilo159

Postby Atria35 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:22 am

Crossfire wrote:Out of curiosity, how much do movie tickets usually cost in the States? Seems like it's a different price in each city up here...

It's a different price depending on where you live. When I was visiting LA, it was $15 a ticket. Here, I'm paying $9. Back home, I'd pay about $7.50. There's no set rate in the States, theaters can charge based on the supply/demand of their area.

Also, please note that the prices I'm listing are the normal, adult, evening showing tickets. Matinees are usually dicounted, as are tickets for kids under 13 and seniors.
Atria35

Postby Nate » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:17 pm

Bobtheduck wrote:I'll never understand people who get UPSET by a higher framerate.

When movies first had sound, people were upset.

When movies got color, people were upset.

When movies did 3D, people were upset.

People are always going to be upset when familiar things change. Whether the change is for the better or not is up to the viewer, but most people are going to see a movie running at higher than 24 fps as "not feeling like a movie." You can argue with that on a technical level, but feelings are feelings and if people don't like how they feel about it, then there isn't a lot you can do about that.

From what I've heard from initial reports most people seem to say that the 48 fps version is weird, and you sorta get used to it after a while. That's not exactly a ringing endorsement for it though.
Nate

Postby Atria35 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:54 pm

Just got back from it.

This is a lot more action-movie than the book, some of it for the better and some of it just making the story drag a bit. Since it's an adventure movie, there *has* to be a main baddie (not in the book, somewhat disappointed by the need to do this), but at the same time the character development is far greater than in the book. It's pretty obvious that Hobbit was written for kids and as such isn't that involved and is pretty lighthearted. The movie made some scenes a lot darker... and in some cases, brought out detail that would probably have been in the books had Tolkien been writing it for adults. I often forget that the devil is in the details, and there's a lot of detail brought out from the appendices that is pretty brutal when you actually see it on film.

I'm overall pretty happy with it. I think that the changes made aren't better or worse than the books - just different. And for the most part, what was added is right in line with Tolkien's works. And a good deal was straight from the appendices, so that's fine, too. I still have NO clue how they're going to stretch this into 3 movies, though... I mean, right where this ended was pretty solidly at the halfway point of the book.

Also, Martin Freeman *makes* Bilbo Baggins. It's fabulous.
Atria35

Postby Crossfire » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:35 am

Glad to hear that the added stuff doesn't necessarily hurt the movie. From the sound of it, part 2 will mostly be about the White Council and their attack on Sauron.
Crossfire

Postby Vilo159 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:25 am

Atria35 wrote:Just got back from it.

This is a lot more action-movie than the book, some of it for the better and some of it just making the story drag a bit. Since it's an adventure movie, there *has* to be a main baddie (not in the book, somewhat disappointed by the need to do this), but at the same time the character development is far greater than in the book. It's pretty obvious that Hobbit was written for kids and as such isn't that involved and is pretty lighthearted. The movie made some scenes a lot darker... and in some cases, brought out detail that would probably have been in the books had Tolkien been writing it for adults. I often forget that the devil is in the details, and there's a lot of detail brought out from the appendices that is pretty brutal when you actually see it on film.

I'm overall pretty happy with it. I think that the changes made aren't better or worse than the books - just different. And for the most part, what was added is right in line with Tolkien's works. And a good deal was straight from the appendices, so that's fine, too. I still have NO clue how they're going to stretch this into 3 movies, though... I mean, right where this ended was pretty solidly at the halfway point of the book.

Also, Martin Freeman *makes* Bilbo Baggins. It's fabulous.

100% agree. The added parts were well done and contributed in a positive way, they didn't distract from the plot in any way. That, an they provided for some pretty epic battle scenes, so I was happy. I was glad they were able to make it serious and intense for adults, but still keep the more lighthearted feel of the book. Overall, I was very happy with it.
Vilo159

Next

Return to General Entertainment