What kind of storyline is your favorite?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

What kind of storyline is your favorite?

Postby SierraLea » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:08 pm

I personally love storylines that have a lot at stake and several big reveals. That's why I loved FMA Brotherhood so much, because it has both!

What kind of story peaks your interest, and it can be anything.
"I tell you, if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out." (Luke 19:37-40).
Exceptionally Ordinary
"No one ever made a difference by being like everyone else." P.T.Barnam
SierraLea

Postby rocklobster » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:08 pm

I like stories that have lots of "Wham!" episodes.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Vilo159 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:31 pm

I like storylines, regardless of genre, that have meaning. Stuff that explores a certain theme, or a controversial or difficult question is faced, where the characters learn and grow and are dynamic. I like dynamic shows.

Also, storylines with some good filler episodes.You can only be beaten over the head with action and plot for so long, there needs to be some good, lighthearted filler there.
Vilo159

Postby SierraLea » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:13 pm

rocklobster (post: 1600098) wrote:I like stories that have lots of "Wham!" episodes.

What's a "Wham!" episode?
"I tell you, if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out." (Luke 19:37-40).
Exceptionally Ordinary
"No one ever made a difference by being like everyone else." P.T.Barnam
SierraLea

Postby Vii » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:28 pm

SierraLea (post: 1600135) wrote:What's a "Wham!" episode?

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WhamEpisode
Vii

Postby Yuki-Anne » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:10 pm

I really like complex serials where the stakes are high, stuff where every episode builds on the one before, building tension on tension until you kind of want to explode at the end of every episode. And you can NOT miss an episode without missing something important. The later seasons of Deep Space 9, FMA:Brotherhood, the new Doctor Who (especially season 4), season 1 of Heroes, Spooks (MI:5), Supernatural... these all have the serial "save the world" plotlines that I love.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby rocklobster » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:24 am

What I can't stand at all are recap episodes. I don't mind one or two scenes from previous episodes, but when it's the whole freaking episode, that really annoys me. If you must have recaps, put them in the "previously on" bits at the beginning.
I also like it when we're given flashbacks that contrast what's currently going on or enhance the story. Lost did this expertly.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:24 am

I love episodes featuring interesting characters and thought-provoking themes and/or story developments, ones that are either philosophical or psychological in nature. I love a good mystery and a combination of something fairly grounded and something more fantastical. I also love a good care-free but character-centric episode. Flashbacks are also great when they're done well (eg. most of Lost, The Pretender storyline etc.)
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Vilo159 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:51 pm

Warrior 4 Jesus (post: 1600162) wrote:I love episodes featuring interesting characters and thought-provoking themes and/or story developments, ones that are either philosophical or psychological in nature. I love a good mystery and a combination of something fairly grounded and something more fantastical. I also love a good care-free but character-centric episode. Flashbacks are also great when they're done well (eg. most of Lost, The Pretender storyline etc.)

This. You said it way better than I did.
Vilo159

Postby Yuki-Anne » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:43 pm

rocklobster (post: 1600156) wrote:What I can't stand at all are recap episodes. I don't mind one or two scenes from previous episodes, but when it's the whole freaking episode, that really annoys me. If you must have recaps, put them in the "previously on" bits at the beginning.
I also like it when we're given flashbacks that contrast what's currently going on or enhance the story. Lost did this expertly.

Oh my gosh, Stargate was THE WORST about this. I loved Stargate but their recap episodes were lazy and obnoxious.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby rocklobster » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:13 pm

I remember Lost did a couple recaps, but they were pretty inventive by doing them from a certain POV rather than completely replaying the scenes. I liked that trick.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby AndrewinIce » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:59 pm

I liked the way that Gun X Sword had the first half (Roughly) of its series be made up of fun, light-hearted 'fillers' in which you became very familiar with characters and the world also.

The second half, well, a little over half, was made very serous episodes that built on each other, and ran almost like one long movie.

Another thing about GXS was the fact that the[spoiler] bad guys were actually, for the most part, good people who helped people out, wanted to save lives, felt bad when they killed, etc. [/spoiler]
The Creating of a Story, be it TV show, novel, video game, is process one can not undertake lightly. When you create a story, you had better be prepared for the emotional ties you will have to all characters, as they all come from you.
AndrewinIce

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:47 pm

I find it funny that we're all assuming this topic is about TV shows.

I need the characters to be real, interesting, and likeable. If I'm drawn in by the characters, I'll keep watching no matter what the plot or execution is like. This is something I've observed in anime, TV shows, movies, and books alike. I need to feel for the characters, and that will make everything else worthwhile.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Vilo159 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:38 pm

the_wolfs_howl (post: 1600227) wrote:I find it funny that we're all assuming this topic is about TV shows.

I need the characters to be real, interesting, and likeable. If I'm drawn in by the characters, I'll keep watching no matter what the plot or execution is like. This is something I've observed in anime, TV shows, movies, and books alike. I need to feel for the characters, and that will make everything else worthwhile.

Well, it is an anime forum, but it could easily apply to books too.

And I agree, characters are crucial points.
Vilo159

Re: What kind of storyline is your favorite?

Postby SilverToast » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:56 pm

My most favorite storyline is someone going to a foreign land and having large success there than in his or her home country.
I don't find many stories like this though.

I'm not very picky on other storylines and generally enjoy them if they are creative and well executed.
SilverToast

Postby Otaku_Alex » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:34 pm

I like romance like in OHSHC.
Otaku_Alex

Postby Rusty Claymore » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:18 am

Tragic hero types. At least one character who has a haunting past that changed them into someone who now lives for others or just tries to be left alone. Like Tsubasa, Gun X Sword, Trigun, etc.
Quirky Slice of Life is a favorite too. Stuff like Nichijou, Daily Lives of Highschool Boys, Dirk gently's Holistic Detectives Agency, etc. Though I guess those aren't really Slice of Life... not sure what to call them.
Rusty Claymore

Postby Broly Ultimatrix » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:51 am

Personally I have a hate of Lost that I'll never get over. My rather unrealistic hatred of Lost i myself don't fully understand and thinking about it drives me mad like my brain is going to fold in on itself and explode... gunna stop before it really does. My favorite storylines vary from moment to moment in my life but generally I have a couple favs and watch what's availiable that match my preferences at the moment. I'm always down for those adorable slice of life anime like Azumanga Daioh, Lucky Star and Strawberry Marshmello. I enjoy battles of wits since I myself tend to be perseptive with breaking down a story line before it's reached completion and things like Death Note and Kami no Puzzle test the mind so much in the individual moments that there isn't a chance to predict the whole story. I balance out my exceptionally Violent anime (Hellsing OVA, Death Note and my one failed attempt each at watching Higurashi no koro nako ni kai and Elfien Lied) with the innocent lighthearted and shorter anime like the ones named earlier but the left and right side need a backbone something that connects the two and is its own organism and that comes in the form of what I call Epics for lack of knowlege of their real manes. These are expansive anime which cover a little of every genre nameley One Piece (My personal alltime favorite anime for the history of my life from here on out) Bleach, Naruto (the first and Shippuden) and... I feel like theres a fourth but that's all I remeber lol well that's my two bits and if your wondering why I dont list Live Action/real people shows it's because my utter hatred of Lost I have a beyond difficult time watching anything with real people in it even if I know it's good. So far the only thing I have gotten into is Doctor Who (been watching it with my mom so it's going to take forever since she watches so many shows at once and maybe that's the show I was thinking of when I was thinking of epics :P we'll go with this)
Broly Ultimatrix

Postby rocklobster » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:12 am

My favorite themes are ones that deal with our nature, like What Does it Mean to be Human? (Artificial Intelligence, Pinocchio, Ghost in the Shell), The Nature of Evil (Monster, Clockwork Orange), and Destiny (The Butterfly Effect)
rocklobster

Postby bigsleepj » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:45 am

I have such wide-ranging tastes, but I usually like anything done intelligently. Stories that appeal to me is where the character's views get challenged, where they ask questions regarding themselves. I also enjoy mindscrews a lot, especially if they're done well. Good characterization is also a plus for me.
bigsleepj

Postby Cc4FuzzyHuggles » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:32 pm

I like damsel in distress story ideas!
I like cinderella types of things too. Like a girl who seems to be nothing or is just average, but some reason a famous guy still falls for her.
I also like it when characters change in good ways. Example, a meanie or jerk learns to love.
And comedies! Monty Python and Gintama don't exactly have story lines, but their stupidity type of humor is great. :D
Luke 10:25-27 Mark 12:28-34 Matthew 22 Deuteronomy 6:4-5 Deuteronomy 10:12
“Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself.”
No one is perfect, but by one prayer at a time, and one step at a time, God can make our paths straight.
Proverbs 3:6 "In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He will make your paths straight."
Cc4FuzzyHuggles

Location: I live wherever the Lord leads me. (currently in an apartment with my sweet cat.)

Postby SierraLea » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:19 pm

I've found that I don't like romance stories that have nothing besides the romance going on. A lot of Shojou is like that, and it gets old fast. Romances that have something else going on at the same time, like Crimson Hero and Howl's Moving Castle, are the best kind in my opinion. This is also why I don't like chick flicks or romantic comedies.
SierraLea

Postby Zeldafan2 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:36 am

I enjoy romance to a degree (but if not done right, it can become irritating.) I'm also a fan of slice-of-life series, but also greatly enjoy storylines with deep, branching plotlines that stretch over most to the entire series.
Zeldafan2

Postby rocklobster » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:54 am

Sierra, I highly recommend Romeo X Juliet.
rocklobster

Postby Makachop^^128 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:48 pm

I've always loved stories that have quirky characters but you can relate to them. I love stories with a deep meaning and about humans in someway. Also I love stories that make me want to write haha.
Makachop^^128

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:16 pm

Makachop^^128 wrote: Also I love stories that make me want to write haha.

^This. xD And those that make me jealous for not thinking of them first. Both of those can be just about any kind of story, really, as long as there's something uniquely clever about it, or if I find myself liking it a lot more than expected.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby LupoRedgrave » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:26 am

I often enjoy mysterious ones, detective kind of ones, and ones with a big twist/WHAM/"surprise it's actually ___"
I also enjoy commedy ones too.
I'm not up for romance but I do like romantic commedy
...Proverbs 4:18...
LupoRedgrave

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:28 am

Broly Ultimatrix wrote:I enjoy battles of wits since I myself tend to be perseptive with breaking down a story line before it's reached completion and things like Death Note and Kami no Puzzle test the mind so much in the individual moments that there isn't a chance to predict the whole story. ... because of my utter hatred of Lost I have a beyond difficult time watching anything with real people in it even if I know it's good. So far the only thing I have gotten into is Doctor Who (been watching it with my mom so it's going to take forever since she watches so many shows at once and maybe that's the show I was thinking of when I was thinking of epics :P we'll go with this)

Taking all this into consideration, I'd highly recommend the BBC show Sherlock. Don't know if you care for Sherlock Holmes at all, but it's a modern-day retelling of the stories that is extremely well done. The idea was to make Sherlock Holmes as edgy to a modern audience as it was for its original audience, and I think they've succeeded. Excellent portrayals of Sherlock Holmes, Dr. Watson, and Moriarty in particular, and the battle of wits between Sherlock and Moriarty is fascinating to watch. Might get you over your aversion to live-action shows? *shrug*
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Broly Ultimatrix » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:52 am

the_wolfs_howl wrote:
Broly Ultimatrix wrote:I enjoy battles of wits since I myself tend to be perseptive with breaking down a story line before it's reached completion and things like Death Note and Kami no Puzzle test the mind so much in the individual moments that there isn't a chance to predict the whole story. ... because of my utter hatred of Lost I have a beyond difficult time watching anything with real people in it even if I know it's good. So far the only thing I have gotten into is Doctor Who (been watching it with my mom so it's going to take forever since she watches so many shows at once and maybe that's the show I was thinking of when I was thinking of epics :P we'll go with this)

Taking all this into consideration, I'd highly recommend the BBC show Sherlock. Don't know if you care for Sherlock Holmes at all, but it's a modern-day retelling of the stories that is extremely well done. The idea was to make Sherlock Holmes as edgy to a modern audience as it was for its original audience, and I think they've succeeded. Excellent portrayals of Sherlock Holmes, Dr. Watson, and Moriarty in particular, and the battle of wits between Sherlock and Moriarty is fascinating to watch. Might get you over your aversion to live-action shows? *shrug*

I'll have to look into it thanks. Who knows there might be hope for me yet :P
Broly Ultimatrix

Postby SierraLea » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:59 pm

Ace33Wing wrote:My most favorite storyline is someone going to a foreign land and having large success there than in his or her home country.
I don't find many stories like this though.

There are tons of these in the Bible, especially where prophets are concerned.
SierraLea

Return to General Entertainment