YES! G4TV is history

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

YES! G4TV is history

Postby rocklobster » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:18 am

As of next year, G4tv is history! :dance::jump:
Why am I celebrating? Because it's justice! Way back in the day (which was about 10 years ago, I think), there was a network called TechTV that was a good channel and eventually merged with G4TV, a network "designed for gamers". I used to love this channel. They had stuff like X-Play (which is still on), Filter (a top 10 show) and some show that had cut scenes from video games and old school video game commercials. They also had anime. Granted it wasn't as good a block as Toonami, but it was where I discovered such great shows as Serial Experiments Lain, Rahxephon, and Silent Mobius. Then they decided "you know what, people are watching the Internet more. We should start sucking. No one will ever know. They're too busy watching illegal anime sites." With that, they decided to show stupid stuff like COPS reruns.:bang: And now, guess what? They alienated the fans so much, they lost ratings!
My point? This is what could happen to Crappy Network and the Syfy Channel. I hope they are paying attention.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Zeldafan2 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:24 am

rocklobster (post: 1588237) wrote:As of next year, G4tv is history! :dance::jump:
Why am I celebrating? Because it's justice! Way back in the day (which was about 10 years ago, I think), there was a network called TechTV that was a good channel and eventually merged with G4TV, a network "designed for gamers". I used to love this channel. They had stuff like X-Play (which is still on), Filter (a top 10 show) and some show that had cut scenes from video games and old school video game commercials. They also had anime. Granted it wasn't as good a block as Toonami, but it was where I discovered such great shows as Serial Experiments Lain, Rahxephon, and Silent Mobius. Then they decided "you know what, people are watching the Internet more. We should start sucking. No one will ever know. They're too busy watching illegal anime sites." With that, they decided to show stupid stuff like COPS reruns.:bang: And now, guess what? They alienated the fans so much, they lost ratings!
My point? This is what could happen to Crappy Network and the Syfy Channel. I hope they are paying attention.

It COULD happen to Cartoon Network. I personally had no gripe against G4 (although, I do miss it when it was on Cartoon Network because I could watch cons from there). But in terms of it happening to Cartoon Network, that channel's still pretty popular. I don't know about Syfy, but I could really care less.
Zeldafan2

Postby Xeno » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:35 am

Well G4 has been nothing but reruns of COPS anyway for the last couple of years, so really no one is missing out. Siffy (SyFy) could fix their problems if they'd go back to their core market (science fiction). As far as Cartoon Network, it continues to cater to its core market (which despite your many threads and posts, is not us), so I don't see anything happening there.
Xeno

Postby rocklobster » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:07 am

But Siffy will never go back because WWE Smackdown, like it or not, is doing well in the ratings. Look, I like my wrestling, but I'm watching it there under protest.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Atria35 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:38 am

So G4 turned into a channel for gamers. I'm not going to begrudge my brother that because he's a gamer and loves to watch it. They dropped the anime for solid financial reasons, which was the same reason Scy-fy did it, and why other channels dropped it.

The reasons why anime isn't financially viable has been explained to you - in detail - in a dozen other threads that you make about these channels. I suggest stopping putting your head in the sand and read them, take it in, and deal with it.
Atria35

Postby Popyman » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:40 am

Cartoon Network isn't going anywhere. All the shows that they do have are just as good as their old stuff. They just aren't making as many as they used to, that's the real problem. :( But Adventure Time alone will keep them alive for the foreseeable future.
"Sometimes isolation is a good thing, Razputin. It can lead to many important discoveries."
--Sasha Nein, Psychonauts
Popyman

Postby Psycho Molos » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:09 pm

Atria35 (post: 1588251) wrote:So G4 turned into a channel for gamers. I'm not going to begrudge my brother that because he's a gamer and loves to watch it. They dropped the anime for solid financial reasons, which was the same reason Scy-fy did it, and why other channels dropped it.

The reasons why anime isn't financially viable has been explained to you - in detail - in a dozen other threads that you make about these channels. I suggest stopping putting your head in the sand and read them, take it in, and deal with it.

Smart Atria is smart. FTW!!

Quite level headed too
[color="Cyan"]Oh MOES! It's Czadek peddling the Black Pill for the Merv! Dark Evolution[/color]

Ich hasst Mein lieben.....
Psycho Molos

Postby Davidizer13 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:51 pm

Atria35 (post: 1588251) wrote:So G4 turned into a channel for gamers. I'm not going to begrudge my brother that because he's a gamer and loves to watch it. They dropped the anime for solid financial reasons, which was the same reason Scy-fy did it, and why other channels dropped it.

Thing is, G4 used to be for gamers, until a few years ago when they realized that most gamers got their info and news online these days. They started adding shows like Cops and shows about cars, ending up more like a "shows for bros" Spike wanna-be network, with a couple holdouts from the gaming era (X-Play, Attack of the Show!). I assume what little anime they showed was an attempt to keep a bit of the otakus who were watching for gaming stuff, and not really meant to become one of their mainstays. It bumped along for a while like that, and now that NBC picked up Ninja Warrior, one of its other big draws, I'm not surprised they're finally going under.
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby AngelicTotoro » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:23 am

So, no more X-play? My brothers are gonna cry...
And as for all the CN hate rocklobster has, sure CN has a lot of stupid crap on it nowadays, but it also has some good crap, like The Regular Show, The Amazing World of Gumball, Ben10 and now it has a How to Train Your Dragon tv series, so right now CN is a-okay in my book.
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in paths of righteousness For His name's sake. Even though I walk though the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me. Thou dost prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; Thou hast anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Psalm 23
AngelicTotoro

Postby Zeldafan2 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:53 am

[redacted]
Last edited by Zeldafan2 on Wed May 16, 2018 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zeldafan2

Postby rocklobster » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:06 am

The thing is, I actually did like the non-anime shows on CN, Sci-fi, and G4TV. When they changed their formats, they stopped being entertaining. That's my complaint. TV is supposed to entertain. Cartoon Networks are supposed to play cartoons. Science Fiction Channels are supposed to play science fiction, NOT AUCTIONS!
Oh, and Zeldafan2, enjoy The Hub while you can. I have a feeling a few years from now, it will start sucking too.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Roy Mustang » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:49 am

Man, you don't have a lot of faith in anything do you over networks or so. If you are going to be this much of a downer, then why watch TV at all.

Also, are you happy that some people lost their jobs at this channel, just because you don't like that channel anymore. Rock, you need to really start watching what you say as your getting to the point of being a downer christian on everything around here from network to CAA and christians.
Roy Mustang

Postby rocklobster » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:18 pm

It's just that I'm losing my faith in TV. It's like they figure we're so busy watching stuff on the net, they might as well give up. Folks, that just means you have a bigger challenge! Try harder to entertain us!

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby mechana2015 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:16 pm

I think celebrating people losing their jobs and sources of entertainment closing is an inappropriate response for that attitude though. G4 might have been down, but as long as they were still on they had a chance to revamp, readjust or change hands into better management.

Permanent loss on the other hand means a loss for everyone, as we won't see the G4 produced shows ever again unless they're reworked or picked up by other media sources, and there's no chance for the channel to be recovered as a whole.

If you want them to try harder you should be disappointed when someone closes, since that means there's less competition and less reason for that type of programming to be produced, and for the companies who do produce it successfully less reason to try harder since they're losing competitors.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Davidizer13 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:17 pm

rocklobster (post: 1588408) wrote:It's just that I'm losing my faith in TV. It's like they figure we're so busy watching stuff on the net, they might as well give up. Folks, that just means you have a bigger challenge! Try harder to entertain us!

You're missing the big picture here. We're in the middle of a total seismic shift in how people get entertained. It used to be that large broadcasting corporations set the agenda for what people watched and when they watched it. Now that we've got all these channels for watching stuff; it's not just cable, but the Internet, on demand, streaming... And at the same time, content production is doing almost the same thing: instead of those same networks making content, anyone with a camera and some time to kill can make shows and make them available to a huge audience. The rules have changed - anime's going through much the same transition, only doubly so because they haven't made attempts to jump on these new channels like the US networks have with Hulu and other similar initiatives.

All those networks you're used to watching? They're still tied to the old business models, where you pour tons of money into a production, put it on your channel, and hope it sticks, while online I can do much the same thing for hardly any money. At the same time, advertising is no longer the big money draw it used to be because of those factors - income is coming more from other sources, like DVD/on demand sales or ad sharing from said alternate distribution channels, and even those have been struggling. They have to change their business model or die.

My prediction is that eventually, the networks will be less focused on broadcasting, and more on content production, serving as magnets for big-budget productions and names and posting them on the alternate channels for distribution that have cropped up; they'll become more like publishers or brand names instead of distributors.
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby K. Ayato » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:31 pm

If you're so upset about the way TV is going, why not find another venue to channel your interests?
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:26 pm

rocklobster (post: 1588408) wrote:It's just that I'm losing my faith in TV. It's like they figure we're so busy watching stuff on the net, they might as well give up. Folks, that just means you have a bigger challenge! Try harder to entertain us!

Just cancel your programming and buy what you like on disc. Seriously. That's what I did. Got sick of paying to watch commercials.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Neane » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:44 pm

This makes me feel glad that I have not watched TV for the past 5 years.
Neane

Postby Xeno » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:49 pm

You know what Rock, I'd like to see where you got your source for this. I'm finding very little on this, and what I did find simply suggests that G4 will go through a massive rebranding next year.

And if they do go under, I have to echo Mech, because he raised a good point. Think about how many people are going to be out of work while we're still trying to get back on track with jobs in this country.
Xeno

Postby Yamamaya » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:36 pm

Rock, why does it seem like you automatically despise networks because they stop airing anime?
Yamamaya

Postby K. Ayato » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:50 pm

We all know you get **** when TV networks fail to meet your expectations and actually entertain you. Do you HAVE to make a new thread with your complaints EVERY TIME it happens??
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:07 pm

Dude what you smoking? Cartoon Network is the best friggen channel right now because it plays ADVENTURE TIME.

Also I don't really get your happiness. Sure a pretty great channel (TechTV) became a mediocre channel (G4), but then that mediocre channel is now becoming a lame channel. Like... okay? So? This is a great thing? I don't even see how it's a "thing" in the first place...
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Zeldafan2 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:31 am

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1588518) wrote:Dude what you smoking? Cartoon Network is the best friggen channel right now because it plays ADVENTURE TIME.

Also I don't really get your happiness. Sure a pretty great channel (TechTV) became a mediocre channel (G4), but then that mediocre channel is now becoming a lame channel. Like... okay? So? This is a great thing? I don't even see how it's a "thing" in the first place...

[redacted]
Last edited by Zeldafan2 on Wed May 16, 2018 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zeldafan2

Postby mechana2015 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:32 am

Please keep this thread focused on G4, not Cartoon network.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Peanut » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:33 am

If G4 is closing (like Xeno, I wasn't able to find anything on this though my search wasn't very extensive) I'd be curious to see how much of this is related to Adam Sessler's departure from G4 since he was one of the big reasons X-play was the success it was. I read an article a few years ago about how G4 was basically staying afloat because of its online content so if they are going under, it really wouldn't be that much of a surprise. There is enough competition online for the attention of the same demographic that G4 catered too that I could see them going under. Its unfortunate though for the reasons everyone else has brought up. When G4 aquired TechTv I had high hopes for them but, unfortunately, it seems being a tv station that appeals to gamer's and geeks isn't a good way to make money.
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby MomentOfInertia » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:10 pm

A moment of silence for a network that was once awesome enough to run both Robot Wars and Thunderbirds.

If anyone cares the show that ran cinematics etc. was, IIRC, Cinematech.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby maeiounj » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:43 am

Popyman (post: 1588260) wrote:Cartoon Network isn't going anywhere. All the shows that they do have are just as good as their old stuff. They just aren't making as many as they used to, that's the real problem. :( But Adventure Time alone will keep them alive for the foreseeable future.

I know its still about G4, but your forgetting that CN is basically running on random and fun shows. You know this guy on DA that is doing Spirit Warriors. They will not allow to air his show because they only allow funny and random shows on there. Times really change for CN's standards.

[quote="Davidizer13 (post: 1588428)"]You're missing the big picture here. We're in the middle of a total seismic shift in how people get entertained. It used to be that large broadcasting corporations set the agenda for what people watched and when they watched it. Now that we've got all these channels for watching stuff]'

Well about distrubting on the hulu network, that isn't fully true they aren't doing that. Funimation uses the hulu as their streaming network. There is also crunchyroll too. I think what you mean is that not every anime has that type of thing. Like alot of notanimation stuff, I can't find unless I google it.

And advertising not mattering? That really depends. For example, Hulu has a ton of ads, and who knows where that comes from.

And I see nothing that G4 is going away. If it was, I would of found it by Wikipedia.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Deviant art:
http://narutokunobessed.deviantart.com/
Sheezyart:
http://maeiounj39.sheezyart.com/

Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/DistantDeadWorlds
Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/home/myvideos
Distant Dead Worlds FB: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Distant-Dead-Worlds/129909077082115

Distant Dead Worlds Tumblr (the collaborative/video side and instagram photos): http://distantdeadworlds.tumblr.com/
Majonin (artistic thoughs and arguements, perhaps a bit of sillyness):
http://maeiounj.tumblr.com/

Cosplay.com:
http://www.cosplay.com/member/54613/

AMVs:
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/memb...user_id=777048
maeiounj

Postby rocklobster » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:06 am

actually, maeiounj, what's going on is that G4TV is being rebranded. It's like how we got Spike TV. They were once a country channel, and then they became....whatever they all call it now.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Return to General Entertainment