Boxing

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Boxing

Postby Jingo Jaden » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:09 pm

So, it ain't exactly a state secret that I've taken up boxing as a sport.

So about myself as a boxer. Fairly fresh, hopefully will get the amateur license someday soon. I am an orthordox, defensive minded power-puncher and to some degree a counter-puncher. I am currently being trained by veterans of the sport, including one of Mike Tyson's sparring partners. Things are going pretty good, I got a strong jab that I am working on, and a very powerful cross punch. The hooks need some work, but they are getting better and better by each session. I always test my punching power on a machine, and comparatively the strength is by far my strongest asset, as I can't really mix it up technically with people who have fought ten years longer than me. Got a long way to go with footwork, but it's starting to feel natural, so that's a good sign.

Boxing is a firstly an extremely good way of working out. Conditioning and the likes, and one does not necessarily have to go sparring to get in shape. I was always inspired by the pure physical strength of George Foreman and the smarts of Evander Holyfield, also gotta give props to Vladimir Klitckov for making an art of his physical advantage.

So why did I start to box? Well, I've always been keeping in shape, and I got past martial arts experience. I also was a fairly good puncher before learning how to actually use ones entire body with the punch. While I got no official matches under my belt, the sparring and training is looking good. And without sounding overly emotional I do got some anger which I get to use inside the ring and it feels good using it, well, at least for me it does. XD . It's also a bit like a little family inside this old school gym. Was hard the first month to get in, but after all these sessions I've been bumped up to 3 90 minute sessions per week. It's not a place to be to just work out, but to develop as a fighter and person.

So CAA, have any of you been boxing, or for that matter kick-boxing? What about other martial arts experiences? Do you like boxing? Any memorable fights or moments you want to comment on?

*Might upload pics one day*
Of two evils, choose neither - Charles Spurgeon.

Jingo Jaden

Postby ABlipinTime » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:10 pm

the most I know about boxing is some trivia and whatever happens to be authentic in Rocky movies. nonetheless, i suppose boxing is a good way to work out - it's something that a boy natural enjoys doing even when little.

when did you start boxing, i guess "officially", shall we say?
- God is always with us, especially when we feel most alone.
http://ablipintime.deviantart.com/
Htom Sirveaux (post: 1435089) - "We should all start speaking telepathically."
Midori (post: 1457302) "Sometimes, if I try hard, I can speak in English."
(post: 1481465) "Overthinking is an art."
Goldenspines - "Fighting the bad guys and rescuing princesses from trolls and all that. "
ABlipinTime

Postby Lockon Stratos » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:18 pm

I do Tae Kwon Do and a I'm also a stick fighter(meaning I know how to use anything that runs from the staff in design). My grandfather taught me the staff fighting.
Lockon Stratos

Postby alma » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:57 am

Lockon Stratos (post: 1509068) wrote:I do Tae Kwon Do and a I'm also a stick fighter(meaning I know how to use anything that runs from the staff in design). My grandfather taught me the staff fighting.
Do you mean that anything that is in the shape of a stick you can use it as a weapon?
Where is your granpa from? Who did he learned from?
"Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent."John 17:3 (NASB)
"By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”John 13:35
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/alma01
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | watch anime online
alma

Postby Lockon Stratos » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:18 am

I'm not sure where he learned it from, but I think he learned when he was serving in Vietnam. I don't know, and I probably never will.
And I use to remember all the names of the weapons, but I've forgotten them. Can still use them, just have no idea what they're called.
Lockon Stratos

Postby Midknight74012 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:22 pm

I myself am a Karate practitioner, more specifically American Combat Kempo. We rely on our hips in many of our hand techniques. When stepping towards an opponent, we are trained to make our fist land before our foot. This way your still falling with your full weight behind your fist when you make contact. There's a whole list I can go through on what we do.

Stick Fighting can possibly come from the Philippines where Kali Stick Fighting originated. Rather devastating from what I've seen. In Japan, they are called Jo.
Psalms 82:3-4
Defend the cause of the weak and fatherless;
maintain the rights of the poor and oppressed.
Rescue the weak and needy;
deliver them from the hand of the wicked.
Midknight74012

Postby Lockon Stratos » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:11 pm

As I said, I don't know what I know.
Lockon Stratos

Postby Jingo Jaden » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:46 pm

ABlipinTime (post: 1509033) wrote:the most I know about boxing is some trivia and whatever happens to be authentic in Rocky movies. nonetheless, i suppose boxing is a good way to work out - it's something that a boy natural enjoys doing even when little.

when did you start boxing, i guess "officially", shall we say?

I'd say around four months. But it's pretty much moved over to the gym full time, so the training is quite real. I always had good arm strength and arm length, but it is easy to compare now that I did not really have a good punch back then.
Of two evils, choose neither - Charles Spurgeon.

Jingo Jaden

Return to General Entertainment