E.T we didn't think this day would come

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

E.T we didn't think this day would come

Postby raider~joseph » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:19 pm

The orbital friendship cannon is gone. But its LEGACY LIVES ON IN US!
FOR PONY, FOR STUFF, FOR LUNA!

"I can has roleplaying!"
raider~joseph

Postby rocklobster » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:32 pm

Hallelujah!
He finally admits it!
Spielburg, you have finally regained my respect.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby raider~joseph » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:34 pm

40 views and 3 postings?DID ANYONE EVEN CLICK THE LINKS!THIS IS A TIME FOR CELEBRATION AND FUN AND GAMES AND LIFE AND AWESOMENESS!I for one refuse to say what this is until at least 3 other people post.Click the link be happy.E.T was one of my all time favorate movies and this is...well...click the links!
The orbital friendship cannon is gone. But its LEGACY LIVES ON IN US!
FOR PONY, FOR STUFF, FOR LUNA!

"I can has roleplaying!"
raider~joseph

Postby Masquerade1412 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:39 pm

So he went from "Guns" to "Walkie-Talkies" then back to "Guns".........Okay, I guess that is a good move.....*Never seen E.T. so cringes in fear*
Sincerely,
The Last Wizard of the Century
Masquerade1412

Postby Scarecrow » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:54 pm

I never knew they changed anything. I haven't seen ET since it was re-released and to be honest, I didn't really like the movie as a kid.

That said, I can't believe they made a change like that in the first place... over sensitive indeed. That is just down right pathetic. Now I finally get all the Steven Spielberg Walkie Talkie jokes... I never knew what people were talking about.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby rocklobster » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:54 pm

Masq, see the original. It truly is a masterpiece. Plus, there's a nice spiritual undercurrent too.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Masquerade1412 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:56 pm

*Sigh* Sometimes I wish I wasn't such a shut-in.....Oh, well! Actually, I might have seen it once......when I was 5 or so. :sweat:
Sincerely,
The Last Wizard of the Century
Masquerade1412

Postby Atria35 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:21 pm

I didn't like it when I was a kid. Now that I'm older and have seen it 10 times (my brother loved it), I have to say it's on my personal 'top 25 movies ever'. My mom remembers the guns in the movie and thought they had put them into the 20th Anniversary Edition, and really disliked the fact that they had taken them out.

Masq! Seconding Rock's suggestion. When you have a chance, go for it.
Atria35

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:05 pm

I don't get why the change was made in the first place. Steven Speilberg and Peter Jackson's take on the upcoming Tintin movie will have plenty of gun-action in a presumably all-ages movie.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby bigsleepj » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:12 pm

Warrior 4 Jesus (post: 1504724) wrote:I don't get why the change was made in the first place. Steven Speilberg and Peter Jackson's take on the upcoming Tintin movie will have plenty of gun-action in a presumably all-ages movie.

Apparently Drew Barrymore convinced Spielberg to remove the guns as it was deemed insensitive or cruel or something.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Scarecrow » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:45 pm

Oh ok now it makes sense... I was like... Why would Steven Spielberg do that? He never cared in any of the other films he made. But Drew Barrymore makes perfect sense. Sounds like one of her ideas...
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby Cognitive Gear » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:06 pm

bigsleepj (post: 1504932) wrote:Apparently Drew Barrymore convinced Spielberg to remove the guns as it was deemed insensitive or cruel or something.

I hadn't heard about that, but apparently Spielberg's thoughts on those guns can be traced back as far as 1995: (This doesn't change the possibility that Drew Barrymore convinced him to remove them)

The other day, Universal's publicity chief faxed over an excerpt of a 1995 interview in which Spielberg said, "I regret that a gun was used as a threat to stop children on bicycles. And I regret that last cut, before E.T. opens his eyes and the bikes take off, of the gun coming up.... And if I ever reissue the picture, I'll use the digital miracle of, you know, CGI [computer-generated imagery] to take the guns out of the cops' hands. And I'll just simply delete the shot of the cop holding the gun up, which, in the current film, causes E.T. to fly. I think those were, you know, distasteful moments to me."

It sounds like this problems with the guns was that they were pointed at children, not that they were present.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Wolf-man » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:22 pm

Masquerade1412 (post: 1504659) wrote:*Sigh* Sometimes I wish I wasn't such a shut-in.....Oh, well! Actually, I might have seen it once......when I was 5 or so. :sweat:

Lol I can sympathize. I haven't seen it since I was about 4 or 5 so I wouldn't have known about the change. The ironic part is that Steven Spielberg is my favorite director. :grin:
Wolf-man

Postby Sheenar » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:00 pm

One of my favorite movies ever. Didn't know about the walkie talkie change, but it's good that he decided to put the guns back in.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Return to General Entertainment