Your Favorite Musical Pieces From a Movie Soundtrack

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Your Favorite Musical Pieces From a Movie Soundtrack

Postby Cognitive Gear » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:19 pm

What are your favorite individual pieces from a soundtrack? Please provide links so we can listen to them!

The Rocketeer main theme.

Gassenhaur- Badlands Soundtrack

Resource- Koyaanisqatsi soundtrack
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby bigsleepj » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:34 am

I am bigsleepj and I approve this thread.

The Ecstasy of Gold - Ennio Morricone from The Good the Bad and the Ugly
In a movie filled with memorable music and incredible visuals nothing quite beats the entrance to the cemetery, which manages to combine both elements beautifully. Tuco (the Ugly) is seeking the gold buried there and the movie and visuals seem to catch his obsession. Never mind that a sociopathic Clint Eastwood is hot on his trail - he has to find the gold. This is probably one of the best pieces written by Ennio Morricone in a long and illustrious career.

Wehe Khorazin - Popul Vuh - from Fitzcarraldo
The opening shot of this film is the vast, endless Peruvian rainforest and with a paragraph, supposedly from Amazonian myth. "Here God has yet to finish His creation." Despite being supplanted soon by the music of Verdi and the visuals of the Manaus opera house this eerie music matches the eerie mood of the film about obsession in the Amazonian rainforest. Although Popul Vuh composed the music for the film and used this piece it was originally from an older album, so the visuals in the music video does not come from the film - the music video is something eerie in itself.

Fargo, North Dakota - Carter Burwell, from Fargo.
The first film I ever watched by the Coen Brothers, and the first sound track I've heard by Burwell. I've been an on-off fan of the Coens for a long time, but this eerie song playing over the snow-covered fields of what should be Minnesota will haunt me forever, you betcha.

Oh What a Circus - Andrew Lloyd Webber / Tim Rice, performed by Antonio Banderas - from Evita.
I'm not a big fan of Andrew Lloyd Webber's music or musicals, but I do tend to like Evita, which has a darker, more layered story combined with fairly literate lyrics and good music (though a great deal of it strains my ears). The film version also has astounding (though not always theatrical) visuals that work well given the factual basis for the story. It also has Madonna giving what may be the performance of her life and Antonio Banderas at the stop of his stardom playing an omniscient narrator who may, it is implied, have his face on a T-shirt one day. The opening song is still the highlight for me as it probably will startle anyone expecting a conventional musical, if the opening "requiem" (also a favourite) did not do so already.

Enough for now...
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:01 pm

Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Scarecrow » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:38 pm

The Secret Wedding from Braveheart... Love the whole soundtrack but this piece and the Gift of a Thistle are stands outs...

Across the Universe from Attack of the Clones Love this piece. Probably my favorite from the series. Too bad I didn't feel the same about the movie but yes, I loved this track...

The Evenstar from The Two Towers Excellent. I'm happy when I listen to this... it's so beautiful.

Jurassic Park Main Theme BEST SOUNDTRACK EVER. I still get excited everytime I hear this! I knew the theme song before I ever got to see the movie... All the school bands would play it when the movie came out and I'd be like "JURASSIC PARK!! It's JURASSIC PARK!!" I wanted to see the movie so bad but mom didn't want it to scare me so had to wait till it came on video so we could watch it in the middle of the day >.> But yeah...

Oh and the theme from Good Bad and the Ugly but that's already been posted.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:56 pm

I approve of this thread. I'll have to come back later and post some stuff when I have some more time.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:53 pm

Dude....this could take me a long time. Go through all the movies I've seen and pick out my favorite bits of music? There are far too many. So I'll just take 'em in chunks and gradually go through it. For some reason I'm feeling very childish and remembering how much I still love Aladdin and Aladdin and the King of Thieves. Those movies had some of the best Disney music ever.

A Whole New World - Best. Love. Song. EVER.

Out of Thin Air - One of my absolute favorite Disney songs of the variety that takes a conversation that would have worked fine as dialogue, and made it even better by singing it.

There's a Party Here in Agrabah - And...I'm sorry. I still reallyreallyreally like this song :red: It's just so fun!

On a completely different note, I recently rediscovered one of those songs that can make my heart ache and make me want to cry just by listening to it, without the movie going on around it:

"Near" from the Death Note - L: Change the World soundtrack
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Vii » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:50 pm

Vii

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:19 am

"Little April Showers" from Bambi - I love how the sound fits the meaning. As Pope would say, "The sound must be an echo to the sense."

"Gaston" from Beauty and the Beast - You know you love it :cool: Possibly my favorite, most-used quote in the entire world is "I've been thinking." "A dangerous pastime." "I know!"

"Something There" from Beauty and the Beast - Perfect representation of why this is my favorite fairy tale: the slow progression of love, rather than love at first sight.

*feels juvenile* :grin:

EDIT: Less juvenile: Moby's "Extreme Ways" from the credits of the Bourne movies! Both versions! 8D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtnfWyI3nlg&feature=fvwrel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXtuVCgtDSY
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Roy Mustang » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:40 am

Roy Mustang

Postby K. Ayato » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:53 pm

I'm with Roy on "Leave No Man Behind" from Black Hawk Down. Having lost 2 friends in Iraq and now being married to a sailor, this piece brings chills down my arms and leaves me close to tears every time I hear it.

I also enjoy the soundtrack to Children of Dune, particularly this piece. "Inama Nushif"

"Keating's Triumph" from Dead Poets Society, played in the background of this scene. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8UL_9R_W-Y
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:57 pm

The opening piece in Pans Labyrinth is beautiful, I can't remember the name of it at the moment.
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby K. Ayato » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:58 pm

"Long, Long Ago". I have it on my iPod.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:19 pm

Yes that one. That entire soundtrack is great.
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Oooh, I was just going to list that!

"Oh, Sing Sweet Nightingale" from Cinderella (evil stepsisters included ]"No Way Out" by Phil Collins"[/url] from Brother Bear (this is a fuller version than the one that plays in the movie, and ends more hopefully)

"A Narnian Lullaby" from The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

"To Aslan's Camp" from The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

...and I can't forget about the BBC Chronicles of Narnia theme music

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:01 pm

Let's see... in a completely random and incomplete fashion:

"Mater Tenembrarum" from Inferno (Which is kind of odd, since it's actually not used very well in the movie. It's this bombastic Keith Emerson organ and chior piece that kind of wrecks the mood of the scenes it's in. But just on its own, I really dig it)

"Sixth Station" from Spirited Away (aka The Song That Plays While They're On The Train. There's a whole ton of Joe Hisaishi songs I could mention, but this one probably takes the cake)

"Suspiria" from Suspiria (My feeling about this one are ironically similar to the Inferno selection. I know it's considered one of the great horror movie themes, and it IS a great piece of music, but I wish the film didn't bludgeon you over the head with it every time something scary was coming up. Oh well, still awesome music.)

"In Heaven" from Eraserhead (Now THIS is how you do a creepy song in a move.)

"Lonesome Valley" from O Brother, Where Art Thou? (The song most people remember from this is "Man of Constant Sorrow," and that is a pretty good one. Still, it's this bit from the climax that sticks with me the most)

"A Quick One (while he's away)" from Rushmore (I linked to an actual clip from the movie, because the whole song is VERY long and only the climax is used in the film. It's so weird because it manages to be completely unfitting and absolutely appropriate at the same time)

...and I'm sure there's more but I'm blanking out right now
Image Image

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Purple"]For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he that died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. II Corinthians 5:14-15[/color][/font]
Blitzkrieg1701

Location: Washington, DC (when I'm not in an alternate universe)

Postby Tarnish » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:12 pm

I swear this gets me in such a good mood. Every time.

On a slightly less shpadoinkle note, there is a specific scene in the EXCELLENT movie World's Greatest Dad that utilizes this number. On it's own, it's a fairly standard tinkly treacly sad song, but the way it's used is so powerful that this immediately became one of my favorite movies.
i draw things

Ponies are for ages six and under.
Tarnish

Postby wannia » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:01 am

Its all depend on my good mood.:)
wannia

Postby Xeno » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:47 am

Time Warp from Rocky Horror Picture Show (yeah, this version is from an episode of the Drew Carey Show)

Somewhere in Time

Amazing Grace from Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
Xeno

Postby Scarecrow » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:52 pm

Love Them from The Terminator This is actually my favorite version of the Terminator theme followed by the original theme during the opening credits and then the version in T2...

Hymn to the Sea from Titanic Titanic had an amazing soundtrack IMO.

EDIT: Another one I can't believe I forgot.... Love theme from Romeo and Juliet 1968 Not a fan of the movie but I love that track!
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:36 pm

Okay, maybe this is cheating, but I love all the pieces in Fantasia 2000, especially:

Beethoven's 5th Symphony

Rhapsody in Blue

Carnival of the Animals (flamingos)

And to tie it all off, debatably the most epic song I've ever heard: "One-Winged Angel" from FFVII: Advent Children

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Popyman » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:17 pm

The entire Where The Wild Things Are soundtrack, I couldn't possibly choose just one song from it.
Popyman

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:46 pm

I love the entire soundtrack of Les Choristes, which is about a man who goes to an awful orphanage and brightens all the boys' lives by teaching them how to sing. But by far my favorite is:

"La Nuit"

"While I'm Waiting" by John Waller from Fireproof

"Kelas (Let's Dance)" from Full Metal Alchemist: Conqueror of Shamballa

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Return to General Entertainment