Movies You Like that most People hate

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:56 pm

I don't love Waterworld but I enjoyed the world of the movie - sort of an inverted Mad Max 2 (or The Road Warrior for you Americans).
I enjoyed The Island and really enjoyed Stranger than Fiction. Will Ferrell is good when he's not being Will Ferrell.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Mister Frodo » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:28 am

With me it's more like what movies do I not like that most people hate. XD I'm pretty easily entertained.

Star Wars prequels - Mostly nostalgia, as I saw all three at a pretty young age and really enjoyed them at the time. I still enjoy watching them, despite their many flaws.

Pirates of the Caribbean 2, 3, and 4 - I liked all three of the POTC sequels, especially the second one; I've just had fun watching all the Pirates films.

Spider-man 3 - I'd definitely agree that it's the worst of the Spider-man films, but I still enjoy watching it and can't bring myself to hate it.

G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra - Kind of a stupid pick, but I had a lot of fun watching this film in theaters. The fights were cool, and Joseph Gordon-Levitt was a joy to watch.

All M. Night Shyamalan films between The Sixth Sense and The Happening - Signs got a pretty good reception from critics, and Unbreakable's considered his most underrated film (to my knowledge), but I've heard dislike for both so I'll throw them in here too. I'm pretty much an M. Night fanboy, and I've enjoyed all his films... up to The Happening, which even I couldn't get over how bad it was. I thought The Last Airbender was better, personally, but I still don't think I find it as likable as, say, The Village and Lady in the Water, two films that, while flawed, I can still enjoy. I actually am interested in what Shyamalan will direct in the future, but I'm afraid he's finally worn out his welcome with both Hollywood and audiences (which I can't blame them for, considering the last four films he's put out). Still one of my favorite directors, though.

Speed Racer - I've said it before, but I simply found this film fun to watch. XD Very colorful and at times a little overwhelming, but still very enjoyable. It felt like a live-action cartoon, and that was completely fine with me. I still think the language in it was a bit much for a kids' film, but eh, maybe that's just me.

Godzilla (1998) - I haven't seen this film in forever, so I doubt I'd like it now, but I did really like it as a kid, watching it a lot. Not a very good film, though. XD

Ponyo - I enjoyed watching this film. It definitely wasn't my favorite Miyazaki film (I didn't like it as much as Nausicaa or Castle in the Sky... which are the only other films of his I've seen in entirety XD), but I found it to be a pleasant enough watch.
Mister Frodo

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:21 pm

Mister Frodo (post: 1490951) wrote:G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra - Kind of a stupid pick, but I had a lot of fun watching this film in theaters. The fights were cool, and Joseph Gordon-Levitt was a joy to watch.

People hate that? Had no idea. I liked that movie too... >.>
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:45 pm

Didn't think people hated Ponyo, Oh well i liked it as well
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Edward » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:15 pm

Wait. People hate X Men 3, Home Alone, Kung Pow and Ponyo? Since when? I like all of those movies. Though I understand why people don't like the later Home Alone movies, the first one is great.
[thread=43825]MOES[/thread] One sig to rule them all. One sig to find them. One sig to bring them all, and in 250 px or less bind them. In the land of Mordor, where the sigs do not scroll.

Real men don't sparkle, real men defeat dark wizards.

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

chatbot 07:24 - Edward asks, do you ever give relevant answers chatty?
My answer: No
Edward

Postby Atria35 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:42 pm

^ I think they are talking about the later Home Alone films.

Though I didn't like the first one- there was a scene where the guy stepped on a nail, and I've done that. All I could think about was how much it hurt when it happened to me. I couldn't find the rest of it funny after that.
Atria35

Postby Cognitive Gear » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:05 pm

Ah, I found a bunch.

Silent movies. I love silent movies, and it seems that most people are either unable to stomach them or (more likely) are unwilling to give them a real chance.
Cognitive Gear

Postby Edward » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:08 pm

Cognitive Gear (post: 1491042) wrote:Ah, I found a bunch.

Silent movies. I love silent movies, and it seems that most people are either unable to stomach them or (more likely) are unwilling to give them a real chance.

I like some silent movies too, though I've only seen three: Nosferatu, The Phantom of the Opera, and The Cabinet of Dr Caligari. But all of those were pretty good.
[thread=43825]MOES[/thread] One sig to rule them all. One sig to find them. One sig to bring them all, and in 250 px or less bind them. In the land of Mordor, where the sigs do not scroll.

Real men don't sparkle, real men defeat dark wizards.

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

chatbot 07:24 - Edward asks, do you ever give relevant answers chatty?
My answer: No
Edward

Postby Atria35 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:14 pm

Cognitive Gear (post: 1491042) wrote:Ah, I found a bunch.

Phantom of the Opera made me scream. Lon Chaney was fabulous. I'm also a huge fan of Charlie Chaplain.
Atria35

Postby Mister Frodo » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:56 pm

FllMtl Novelist (post: 1491003) wrote:People hate that? Had no idea. I liked that movie too... >.>
I personally haven't heard very many positive opinions of it, and it got a pretty negative critical reception (34% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes). It could be a movie that critics didn't like and most people did, though, so I could be wrong.

GrubbTheFragger wrote:Didn't think people hated Ponyo, Oh well i liked it as well
"Hate" may be a strong word, so my apologies for that. It seems like most people I've heard talk about it had a very "meh" reaction to it. Perhaps it shouldn't have been on my list, though, so my mistake there. XD

Edward wrote:Wait. People hate X Men 3
I can say that while I don't hate it, I definitely don't like it. After really liking the first two films, I went into the third one really hyped for it and, at the end, found myself quite disappointed. And I wasn't disappointed by the Star Wars prequels or Spider-man 3 when seeing them in the theaters, so yeah, I find that odd. Granted, that could all just be me though.
Mister Frodo

Postby Yuki-Anne » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:08 pm

G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra - Kind of a stupid pick, but I had a lot of fun watching this film in theaters. The fights were cool, and Joseph Gordon-Levitt was a joy to watch.

Wait, what? Really? *checks imdb* Why have I not seen this movie yet? I don't care if it's stupid. We're talking Joseph Gordon-Levitt, here. Everything he touches turns to awesome.

This is now on my list of must-see.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:31 pm

Mister Frodo (post: 1490951) wrote:All M. Night Shyamalan films between The Sixth Sense and The Happening - Signs got a pretty good reception from critics, and Unbreakable's considered his most underrated film (to my knowledge), but I've heard dislike for both so I'll throw them in here too. I'm pretty much an M. Night fanboy, and I've enjoyed all his films... up to The Happening, which even I couldn't get over how bad it was. I thought The Last Airbender was better, personally, but I still don't think I find it as likable as, say, The Village and Lady in the Water, two films that, while flawed, I can still enjoy. I actually am interested in what Shyamalan will direct in the future, but I'm afraid he's finally worn out his welcome with both Hollywood and audiences (which I can't blame them for, considering the last four films he's put out). Still one of my favorite directors, though.

Those are my thoughts exactly. I kind of liked Lady in the Water, though it's certainly not his best work, and I was pretty disappointed with The Happening. But that might be partly because I really didn't like the main actors]funny[/i]), I love this movie to death. I'm not exaggerating when I say that I watched it once a week when I was nine and ten (after which I discovered LotR, the next object of my obsession). I still have the whole thing basically memorized; I can run through it all in my head, and I might stumble a bit since it's been a while, but there was a time I could recite every single line verbatim and would play the movie in my head when I didn't have access to the TV :P I love the original trilogy (especially IV and the last fourth-or-so of VI), I enjoy III, and pretend II doesn't exist, but I love Episode I. It even has the coolest title of the whole series - The Phantom Menace :cool:
Besides, there are some pretty cool scenes in the series, but I don't know how you could top this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPLXwrj7i7Q

I definitely agree with Howl's Moving Castle, too. It's actually my favorite Miyazaki movie; not even Spirited Away (which I think is one of the best anime movies I've ever seen) appeals to me as much as this one. I think the strength of the movie comes from the richness of the world, because Studio Ghibli thrives on details. I agree that you get a better idea of the world from the book, but there's a certain charm, a sort of Japanese flair I guess you could say, that I just love in the movie.

The thing with The New Adventures of Laurel and Hardy: For Love or Mummy isn't so much that people hate it. They just haven't heard of it XD And if they had, I have a feeling most people would think it was stupid, say it doesn't touch the original Laurel and Hardy, or just wear an expression something like this: :drool:
But I love this movie, I can't tell you how much. It's the most hilarious movie I've ever seen, and I still quote it to this day. ("Well, there's only one way to determine that." "Rock, paper, machete?" "No, you remember what happened last time." *both snicker*)
(trailer, which doesn't even touch on half of my favorite parts - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYCKSnNPGow)

Again, I think "hate" would be too strong a word (except for my friend's dad, who thought the movie had no plot :shake: ), but most people seem to have a fairly low opinion of I Am Legend. Either they complain about the second half of the movie or the zombies, or they go on and on about how it's nothing like the book. Well, I read the novella and I love it, but I also love this movie. It would be pretty lousy if it was supposed to be a faithful adaptation, but if you take it on its own merits, it's great. I think it's really well done, and even though I would've been just fine with it being a quiet story with only one human character, I don't mind at all the way it ended up. And I really like Will Smith when he's serious like this, so I thoroughly enjoyed it.

...um, that's all that's coming to mind right now.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:39 pm

OH yeah, i remembered another one, Wolf Creek, easily one of the most realistic horror films ever filmed, everyone hates it because its very slow. I really like it it had a great build up

GrubbTheFragger

Postby airichan623 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:57 pm

Radical Dreamer (post: 1490430) wrote:Also, I guess I could add The Phantom of the Opera to my own list.
XD

Yaay! I love that movie! Granted, I never saw it on stage, but it was well made and Gerard Butler was a hawt Phantom. :3

Others on my list:

Ella Enchanted- I read the book, and I consider the two to be totally separate entities, and in my mind, the movie was much more hilarious and entertaining. Yay for Cary Elwes!

Lion King 2- One of my favorite movies as a kid. Kiara was independent and Kovu was my hero. The soundtrack was my very first CD I ever owned.

Bedknobs and Broomsticks- this movie was weird, but it was so inventive and entertaining.

Star Wars Episode VI- I actually liked the Ewoks!

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince- A lot of Harry Potter fans hated this one, but I thought it was pretty good.

The Green Lantern (the new one)- this movie made me laugh, and it was entertaining and enjoyable.

[color="Magenta"][SIZE="4"]愛理ちゃん六二三[/SIZE][/color]

DeviantArt[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]MAL[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]Tumblr
airichan623

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:12 pm

airichan623 (post: 1491093) wrote:Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince- A lot of Harry Potter fans hated this one, but I thought it was pretty good.

This one always surprised me. The sixth movie was incredibly impressive to me, and I consider it one of the best in the series, up there with seven and eight in quality. Most of the Harry Potter movies are pretty divisive between fans who love the books, and while I've never seen a Potter movie that I liked more than the book, I've also never been so disappointed with one that I hated it (though there are certainly some I have more problems with than others). XD That being said, I thought the sixth movie was an enormous step up from movies four and five, so I never understood why so many fans didn't like it. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Mister Frodo » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:18 am

Radical Dreamer (post: 1491097) wrote:This one always surprised me. The sixth movie was incredibly impressive to me, and I consider it one of the best in the series, up there with seven and eight in quality. Most of the Harry Potter movies are pretty divisive between fans who love the books, and while I've never seen a Potter movie that I liked more than the book, I've also never been so disappointed with one that I hated it (though there are certainly some I have more problems with than others). XD That being said, I thought the sixth movie was an enormous step up from movies four and five, so I never understood why so many fans didn't like it. XD
I'm of the same mind, as I adored the sixth film (and regret not seeing the seventh one yet... I need to get on that XD). In my case it may just be that I didn't really like the sixth book... after Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix, I found it something of a step down. I've heard people both agree with my opinion and disagree, so I doubt it's universal, but when I went into Half-Blood Prince I was essentially going, "Well, movie, I don't have many expectations, so just do whatever," and was almost blown away by why entertaining it was. It either took out or tweaked the parts of the book I didn't like and managed to keep almost all the parts I did, capturing them perfectly. I particularly found it to be hilarious, with the relationships I had found eye-rolling in the book translated into gut-bustingly funny situations on-screen, and was cracking up for most of it, though when things got serious, they got serious, which I also liked. I honestly haven't seen any of the other films recently enough to judge them (and I can't say I've disliked any of the films), but I think Half-Blood Prince may be my favorite of the film series, and probably the only one of the films I like more than the book... which may just be me, again. XD
Mister Frodo

Postby Atria35 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:06 am

^ I think I hated it because it never explained the importance of the Half-Blood Prince. Comsidering that it's in the freakin' Title of the movie, it seems that it should be of some importance. But no. They just have Snape turn around and say 'I'm the Half-Blood Prince'. Big whoop- people would have to read the book to know why it was a big thing.
Atria35

Postby SincerelyAnomymous » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:28 am

Revenge of the Sith doesn't count as hated film. It got 80% on Rotten Tomatoes and even a higher rating on another website
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”-Oscar Wilde

“Books change us. Books save us. I know this because it happened to me.”Elif Shafak

"Don't stop unbelieving, never give into your unfeelings"-Mabel Pines, Gravity Falls
SincerelyAnomymous

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:41 am

Ferb (post: 1491160) wrote:Revenge of the Sith doesn't count as hated film. It got 80% on Rotten Tomatoes and even a higher rating on another website

It is still hated by Star wars fans, not all but some. It gets kinda lumped in with all the prequals

GrubbTheFragger

Postby Stavie » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:48 pm

I'm kind of iffy on the Star Wars prequels just because they took themselves so seriously. If you look at the original trilogy, yes it was written as an epic, but it was an epic that wasn't afraid to have fun, and that's the primary difference I see between the prequels and the classic trilogy. That being said, I still enjoy the prequels for what they are and still enjoy watching them occasionally.

I'm another who enjoyed Origins: Wolverine. Where most people claim the helicopter scene was infamously bad, I say it was incredibly awesome. My only complaint with the movie was their portrayal of Dead Pool. He's my favorite character of the X-men franchise, so obviously it would have taken a lot to get my stamp of approval, but is it really so much to ask for one instance of him breaking the fourth wall in traditional Dead Pool fashion?

Lastly, Primer. Granted this film wasn't exactly universally panned, but that's mostly due to the fact that it isn't exactly well known. It is quite literally my favorite film of all time. It's complexity left me thinking long after I had finished the movie, and I only wish more people had heard of it.
Stavie

Postby armeck » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:57 pm

boondock saints was hated by critics but i liked it. same with nacho libre XD
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Postby rocklobster » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:56 pm

Deadpool broke the fourth wall right at the end, actually.[spoiler] He shushes the audience at the end[/spoiler]
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:34 pm

rocklobster (post: 1491733) wrote:Deadpool broke the fourth wall right at the end, actually.[spoiler] He shushes the audience at the end[/spoiler]

that wasn't Deadpool, well at least not by ryan reynolds idea.

GrubbTheFragger

Postby Atria35 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:44 pm

airichan623 (post: 1491093) wrote:Bedknobs and Broomsticks- this movie was weird, but it was so inventive and entertaining.

Wait- people exist that don't like this movie? It's Angela Freakin' Lansbury. She has a *cough*magic*cough* touch in this film. And I absolutely adore the version they put on dvd- it was only in bits and pieces before (we have the VHS version for comparison), and the additions were delightful.
Atria35

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:53 pm

the_wolfs_howl (post: 1491074) wrote:Besides, there are some pretty cool scenes in the series, but I don't know how you could top this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPLXwrj7i7Q
I'd say any of these.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Nate » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:14 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs wrote:I'd say any of these.

Five star post.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:17 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1491916) wrote:I'd say any of these.

Goodness, yes please. XD I'll take substance over style any day, especially when the substance still has a great deal of style. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Nate » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:22 pm

I liked in the Obi-Wan vs. Darth Vader fight when Obi-Wan says "If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

I liked in the Obi-Wan/Anakin vs. Darth Maul fight when um...someone...said...something? Wait...did anyone even say anything in that fight? Did Anakin and Obi-Wan even know who Darth Maul was? I mean, when Obi-Wan fights Vader, you can tell that they have a history, it's intriguing, you go "Oh man how do they know each other? Wait, Obi-Wan was Vader's TEACHER? Holy crap!"

The other one is some red spiky dude fighting a couple of guys because...um...he's EVIL!

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:26 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1491916) wrote:I'd say any of these.

*applause*
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Cognitive Gear » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:04 pm

Nate (post: 1491940) wrote:I liked in the Obi-Wan vs. Darth Vader fight when Obi-Wan says "If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

I liked in the Obi-Wan/Anakin vs. Darth Maul fight when um...someone...said...something? Wait...did anyone even say anything in that fight? Did Anakin and Obi-Wan even know who Darth Maul was? I mean, when Obi-Wan fights Vader, you can tell that they have a history, it's intriguing, you go "Oh man how do they know each other? Wait, Obi-Wan was Vader's TEACHER? Holy crap!"

The other one is some red spiky dude fighting a couple of guys because...um...he's EVIL!

But words are boring. I like it when they are like

FLASH

KSSHHHHH

KEEOWW

FOOM

Cognitive Gear

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment