Movies You Like that most People hate

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Movies You Like that most People hate

Postby bakura91 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:50 pm

I thought about making this thread while on youtube watching some old Ebert and Roper reviews. Are there any movies that are critically panned or are just widely disliked that you actually enjoy, Not just so bad there funny movies but movies you think are better than most people say?

My movie Confessions are, Waterworld: I actually thought it was a fun movie that had a cool atmosphere, Yeah it was pretty long and there were some silly moments but I dont think it really deserves the reputation as "one of the worst" plus I Love when Dennis Hopper plays villains hes one of my favorite actors

I also didnt see why everyone hated Xmen 3. I thought it was pretty cool my only complaint really was that they teased with a Sentinel at the begining when it was just a danger room scenario (because I DO think that scenario from the comics would have made a better movie) but thats just my one nerdy fanboy complaint lol
bakura91

Postby Atria35 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:58 pm

I, uh, actually like Waterworld, too! xD My dad owns some of the books from that series, but not the first one. I want to read them and compare.

Underworld- it's totally violent, but I love the storyline. It's intense! Now, I didn't care for the sequel as much (and hated the third movie- gorefest without a good story to back it up), but the first movie? Love, love, love!

Mupphets from Space- it's pretty panned, but I think it's fun. I, uh, also haven't seen the original Mupphet movies to compare ^.^

I'm sure I have more, but I can't recall them at the moment.
Atria35

Postby TopazRaven » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:30 pm

All the Twilight movies, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, all the Pirates of the caribbean movies, all the Transformers movies, Easy A and Alpha & Omega. :sweat: Leave me and my love of cheesy, cliche, inappropraite or stupid movies alone. :lol:
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:34 pm

You need to see some of the older Muppet movies!

I know a lot of people don't like The Fifth Element but I think it's hilarious. Hmm, what else...well, I enjoy watching Home Alone at Christmas time but everyone seems to hate it. I actually think it's a pretty well-made movie.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Cognitive Gear » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:43 pm

I'm going to assume that we are going by our own observations on what the people around us like and don't like, and not by critics. It will just make the thread easier for me, since I am one of the few people I know that cares about critical opinion anymore. :lol:

Sunshine- This movie gets an amazing amount of hate. I understand some of the criticism, as the movie does definitely very abruptly change tone, but I love the whole movie.

The Fountain- Great movie about death and the search for life. The only reason I can imagine that so many people do not like it is that it is, overall, quite depressing, and a bit strange.
Cognitive Gear

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:21 pm

Smoking aces

A lot of horror films XD
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Okami » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:51 pm

Dances With Wolves. I wouldn't say that people hate it, per çe, more in the lines that it's about three freakin' hours long and no one I know has quite the attention span to sit there and watch it with clarity. [SIZE="1"](Except myself?)[/SIZE] :lol: It's my favorite movie. <3
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby Scarecrow » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:41 am

Cognitive Gear (post: 1490303) wrote:
The Fountain- Great movie about death and the search for life. The only reason I can imagine that so many people do not like it is that it is, overall, quite depressing, and a bit strange.

The Fountain... yeah, I hated that. And not because it was depressing or weird (I like both in my movies)... it was just the most boring thing ever and not anything like I was expecting (watch the trailer for that, it looks amazing. Watch the movie... nothing like the trailer). There were aspects to the movie that I did like but overall the movie still blew... (IMO of course :))

Anywho, movies I like that are generally hated... Batman Returns. I love this movie yet most do not. Although there does seem to be a movement now where it's getting more attention and people appreciating it, for the longest time, I was all alone in my love for it. I still think it's kind of a black sheep but...

Speed Racer!! Now most people who see this tend to think it's pretty ok to good. But no one saw it and the critics used it for toilet paper.

Those are the only two I can think of at the moment...
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby rocklobster » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:46 am

The Star Wars prequels. Oh and I like Muppets From Space and Speed Racer's live-action version too. Speed Racer captured the spirit of the anime version very well. It's a shame this doesn't always happen (Dragonball movie, anyone?)
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Sheenar » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:58 am

Kung Pow: Enter the Fist

High Strung

The Wizard
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby TWWK » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:13 am

Episode I: The Phantom Menace!
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
~ "Economy of Mercy," Switchfoot
TWWK

Postby SincerelyAnomymous » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:45 am

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”-Oscar Wilde

“Books change us. Books save us. I know this because it happened to me.”Elif Shafak

"Don't stop unbelieving, never give into your unfeelings"-Mabel Pines, Gravity Falls
SincerelyAnomymous

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:20 pm

Are you kidding, I love Muppets From Space. The entire soundtrack is classic funk. Beat. That.

Independence Day. Sure, it's cheesy as all heck and it's got continuity errors out the wazoo. ("Let's give it a virus", my rear. I guess we can thank our lucky stars the aliens weren't using Windows Vista.) But it's fun, and that's what matters. Really, it's mostly Will Smith who makes that movie worth watching once a year.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:27 pm

All I have to say to that is

WELCOME TO ERF
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby rocklobster » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:31 pm

Some more I thought of:
Last Action Hero
I second Independence Day and Fifth Element
Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Temple of Doom
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Atria35 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:43 pm

^ And here I was sure a decent amount of people liked Independence Day and Temple of Doom. Go figure.

Hrm. The Phantom of the Opera is among my favorite movies, but it gets much hate. Very few people like Stranger than Fiction, either. And for one that's fairly obscure: Tall Tale: The Unbelievable Adventures of Pecos Bill. I rarely got excited over movies when I was younger, but the race between John Henry and the steam machine always got my heart pounding!
Atria35

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:36 pm

Atria35 (post: 1490421) wrote:^ And here I was sure a decent amount of people liked Independence Day and Temple of Doom. Go figure.

Hrm. The Phantom of the Opera is among my favorite movies, but it gets much hate. Very few people like Stranger than Fiction, either. And for one that's fairly obscure: Tall Tale: The Unbelievable Adventures of Pecos Bill. I rarely got excited over movies when I was younger, but the race between John Henry and the steam machine always got my heart pounding!

Wait, people don't like Stranger than Fiction? I love that movie. XD I know a lot of people who don't like Will Ferrell, but I thought he was great in that more serious role. XD Plus, the movie is just well-written. XD

Also, I guess I could add The Phantom of the Opera to my own list. I saw the movie in theaters before I saw the stage version, so I loved it, but I knew a lot of people who thought it was terrible because they loved the original cast so much better. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Atria35 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:07 pm

Radical Dreamer (post: 1490430) wrote:Wait, people don't like Stranger than Fiction? I love that movie. XD I know a lot of people who don't like Will Ferrell, but I thought he was great in that more serious role. XD Plus, the movie is just well-written. XD

I thought so, but the number of people I know who like the movie is relegated to a few people on this forum. It makes me very sad.
Atria35

Postby Nate » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:12 pm

Sheenar wrote:Kung Pow: Enter the Fist

Yes.

The movie is extremely dumb but it's a lot of fun and hilarious.

Even though it came out recently, Cars 2. I thought it was a blast, an extremely well-done movie that looked fantastic and had some great action in it. And the critics panned it.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Cognitive Gear » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:46 pm

Wait a second.

I'm the only person I know who doesn't like The Fifth Element. It's usually one of the first one I list when it comes to unpopular opinions.

The same goes for Independence Day. I'm pretty sure that I can't count the number of people who still watch that movie every Fourth of July.

I guess that opinions vastly differ in other regions.

Nate (post: 1490434) wrote:Even though it came out recently, Cars 2. I thought it was a blast, an extremely well-done movie that looked fantastic and had some great action in it. And the critics panned it.

To be honest, I think critics are starting to be tougher on Pixar, since their expectations are high for the studio. Pixar movies always have reviewed well until now, and many of the bad reviews say something to the effect of "it's not bad", or "it's ordinary, Pixar doesn't do ordinary." To be perfectly honest, reading through some of the reviews, I felt that some of them may have been more positive had the movie been released by a different studio where their expectations weren't as high going in.
Cognitive Gear

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:43 pm

Star Wars prequels--I don't know, maybe I'm just not a huge enough fan of Star Wars or something. But I like these. Episode III is my favorite.

Muppets in Space--I've had this movie since I was a kid, and I like it a lot. It's fun. XD Now I'm kind of curious what people don't like about it, so maybe I'll re-watch it again soon. My memory's kinda hazy anyway.

Pirates of the Caribbean #2 and #3--Nowhere near as good as the first, but I did enjoy them. Mostly because of Jack. XD

Howl's Moving Castle--The Miyazaki movie. Yeah, it wasn't great. There were definitely some dumb/unexplained things in the plot (like the war--what was the point of it, why could we suddenly stop it?), but I liked it enough to enjoy it once.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Atria35 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:06 pm

FllMtl Novelist (post: 1490559) wrote:All the Pirates of the Caribbean movies--The first was definitely the best, but I did enjoy the second and third. Jack Sparrow is the best character. Without him I doubt I'd like the sequels. Possibly not the first, either.

I don't think the first movie is eligible for this thread, because I think almost everyone on this planet liked the first one. It's all the ones that came after that are very.... disputable in quality.
Atria35

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:30 pm

Atria35 (post: 1490563) wrote:I don't think the first movie is eligible for this thread, because I think almost everyone on this planet liked the first one. It's all the ones that came after that are very.... disputable in quality.

That's true. I only meant to mention the second and third... Badly-worded post on my part. XD; Thanks for pointing that out, I'll fix it.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Tarnish » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:34 pm

If Cars 2 had been made by Dreamworks, it would've made TIME's Top 25 Best Animated Films somehow, I know it.

YES I'M STILL BITTER, ALRIGHT.

As for movies I like and everyone else hates, pffft, pick any out of my collection. Probably the most prominently bad would be Clonus: The Parts Horror, which I genuinely think is an alright movie for what it is. Not exactly good, but I can enjoy it without the MST3king.
Tarnish

Postby Nate » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:24 pm

Tarnish wrote:If Cars 2 had been made by Dreamworks, it would've made TIME's Top 25 Best Animated Films somehow, I know it.

YES I'M STILL BITTER, ALRIGHT.

I know that feel bro. And I still think giving Cars 2 a low score just because "It's Pixar" is ridiculous.

"Y'know, Jesus, appearing in this room even though the doors were locked...that was so boring and lame. I mean, come on, you rose from the freaking dead, and now you expect us to be wowed by appearing in a room? Seriously, you can do better than this, this was such a disappointing miracle."
Clonus: The Parts Horror, which I genuinely think is an alright movie for what it is. Not exactly good, but I can enjoy it without the MST3king.

Well, it was good enough for The Island to completely rip off, so there had to be something decent there.

That was a pretty awesome MST3K episode though, I should watch it again.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Yuki-Anne » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:27 am

Speaking of which, I actually really liked The Island, but it received a lot of hatred.
And Speed Racer. It was great for what it was! I wasn't expecting anything cerebral. It lived up to my expectations, which weren't high, and was fun and entertaining, even if it was totally predictable.
As a child, I loved Batman and Robin. I haven't watched it recently enough to give it an opinion as an adult, but I really, really liked it when it first came out and I was 11 or 12. The same goes for the universally panned Lost in Space and the Star Wars prequels. Now that I'm older, I can stand to watch those films, but honestly, I didn't think the Star Wars prequels were that bad the first couple of times I watched them. I do believe I had episode 1 memorized when I was 12 or 13 (Jeez, has it really been that long?). No, I don't like them now. But I appreciate their nostalgic value.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:55 am

Episode I does have some nostalgia value but that's about all it has. I freaked out over it when it came out. I was like 16 and had just gotten into Star Wars a couple of years before, so...yeah.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Yamamaya » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:07 pm

Star Wars Episode III. I know this movie is the most well liked of all the prequels, but people tend to hate this movie just as much as the other prequels so *shrug*.

Also I kind of liked Home Alone 3 when I was a kid.

Don't look at me like that.
Yamamaya

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:18 pm

I gotta second the Wachowski Speed Racer movie. I love that thing to pieces, even though I nearly went blind seeing it the first time.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:33 pm

Okay so i enjoyed X-men Origins so sue me....okay don't sue me.
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Next

Return to General Entertainment