Transformers 3: Dark of the Moon

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Transformers 3: Dark of the Moon

Postby Sammy Boy » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:38 pm

So, my wife and I have been rather busy at work lately and really wanted to have a break last night.

Hence we decided to watch this film.

Really enjoyed it, and while some parts of the plot feel disjointed, we watched with the expectation that first, it's an action film, and the story comes second. Not to say plot is shoddy, just don't expect it to be deep or profound.

Definitely recommend it. :)
Sammy Boy

Postby Yamamaya » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:10 pm

If it was better than the horrendous 2nd movie, I might give it a chance.
Yamamaya

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:41 pm

^---------yeah my idea as well, I have heard the humor is still way to prevelant to make a "good" movie i have heard it is indeed a fun movie. I HATE how the humans are more of the story than the robots, but oh well
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Yamamaya » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:55 pm

GrubbTheFragger (post: 1488588) wrote:^---------yeah my idea as well, I have heard the humor is still way to prevelant to make a "good" movie i have heard it is indeed a fun movie. I HATE how the humans are more of the story than the robots, but oh well

This is one of my biggest problems with the triology. In the cartoons, the humans played a background role. Here, they just hog screen time. That would easier to take if the people playing the humans don't do such a horrific job.

That being said, the fact that the triology isn't ending with Unicron makes me rage so much.
Yamamaya

Postby Nate » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:57 pm

Michael Bay tricked me twice. I'm not falling for it a third time.

The good news though is that the current trend seems to be rebooting franchises, so now that this trilogy is over let's hope they reboot the Transformers franchise with some actual GOOD movies.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Yamamaya » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:59 pm

Nate (post: 1488594) wrote:Michael Bay tricked me twice. I'm not falling for it a third time.

The good news though is that the current trend seems to be rebooting franchises, so now that this trilogy is over let's hope they reboot the Transformers franchise with some actual GOOD movies.

I would only say Bay tricked me once. The first movie was okay. It was the second movie that was so freaking terrible.

Even the action were either too long and drawn out or extremely anti climatic.
Yamamaya

Postby Edward » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:14 pm

I never saw the 2nd movie because of how bad I heard it was, and I heard this one was pretty bad too. The pop up ads really turned me off of seeing too. So I don't intend to see it.
[thread=43825]MOES[/thread] One sig to rule them all. One sig to find them. One sig to bring them all, and in 250 px or less bind them. In the land of Mordor, where the sigs do not scroll.

Real men don't sparkle, real men defeat dark wizards.

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

chatbot 07:24 - Edward asks, do you ever give relevant answers chatty?
My answer: No
Edward

Postby Sammy Boy » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:14 pm

Yamamaya (post: 1488583) wrote:If it was better than the horrendous 2nd movie, I might give it a chance.

In my view, the story in this third film is more interesting than the second, and overall I'd rate it above the second film. (Though perhaps that isn't saying much.)

GrubbTheFragger (post: 1488588) wrote:^---------yeah my idea as well, I have heard the humor is still way to prevelant to make a "good" movie i have heard it is indeed a fun movie. I HATE how the humans are more of the story than the robots, but oh well

Yamamaya (post: 1488593) wrote:This is one of my biggest problems with the triology. In the cartoons, the humans played a background role. Here, they just hog screen time. That would easier to take if the people playing the humans don't do such a horrific job.

Same here, I wished the films were just set on Cybertron with no human involvement, but perhaps it would have been hard to draw in people with no previous appreciation of Transformers. So instead, I have to content myself with playing 'War For Cybertron'.

Nate (post: 1488594) wrote:Michael Bay tricked me twice. I'm not falling for it a third time.

[SPOILER]
If you enjoyed any G1 cartoon episodes from the 80s, you may be interested to know that the plot bears similarities to the three part episode "The Ultimate Doom".
[/SPOILER]
Sammy Boy

Postby Nate » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:56 am

Sammy Boy wrote:perhaps it would have been hard to draw in people with no previous appreciation of Transformers.

I don't believe that at all. Beast Wars had absolutely no humans whatsoever, and it drew in plenty of fans and is highly regarded as one of the best Transformers properties to date. On top of that, every show has to start somewhere. When the 1980s G1 cartoon aired, no one had previous appreciation of Transformers because Transformers didn't exist before then, and it drew an audience just fine with minimal human characters.

Michael Bay is just a talentless hack who couldn't make a half-decent movie if the fate of the free world depended on it.
[SPOILER]
If you enjoyed any G1 cartoon episodes from the 80s, you may be interested to know that the plot bears similarities to the three part episode "The Ultimate Doom".
[/SPOILER]

Wow, you mean I can watch an episode I've already seen with pointless sex jokes, humans that are a thousand times more annoying, and identical-looking gray CG creations do battle in poorly edited and incomprehensible fight scenes rather than decently edited fights where I can tell who is fighting who due to lack of the camera changing angles every two seconds and interesting-looking, unique characters who can be identified at a glance?

Yeah if I want to watch a plot that bears similarities to an original series episode, I'll just watch the original series episode and prevent Michael Bay from seeing one single penny of my income, as well as enjoying it more than I could ever enjoy this travesty of a movie due to the vastly superior
characterization and character design that the original series has.

EDIT: Yes, a lot of the characterization in the original 80s cartoon was awful. Yes, it is vastly superior to the Bay films. That's saying something.

Nate

Postby rocklobster » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:16 am

The one thing that turned me off on the Transformers movies was their characterization of my favorite Autobot, Bumblebee, and my favorite Decepticon, Starscream. Bumblebee was annoying in the movie. In the cartoon, he's actually courageous and cool. Starscream didn't get any lines at all and not once did he do anything that made me enjoy him. (Unlike some fans, I actually enjoyed his constant attempts to usurp Megatron's status.)
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby TopazRaven » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:37 am

Lol, a-am I the only one who liked both the first and second movie? :lol: I always seem to enjoy all the movies everyone else hates. I guess I have low standards? xD
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby Sapphire225 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:48 am

As a G1 Transformers fan, I liked the first movie but not so much he second movie. I actually thought Bumblebee in the movie was a step up from the Bumblebee in the cartoons (Well, except for the Lubrication incident). The IDW's Bumblebee is still my favorite incarnation.
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby Nate » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:01 pm

rocklobster wrote:The one thing that turned me off on the Transformers movies was their characterization of my favorite Autobot, Bumblebee

The worst part about Bumblebee in the movies was that at the end of the first movie, Bumblebee's voice circuit or whatever actually started working again and he was able to talk, and asked Optimus if he could stay with Sam. Then in the second movie, that whole bit of character development was gone and somehow Bumblebee can't talk anymore! Why can't he talk anymore? Well, because shut up here's Megan Fox stripping.

And Starscream DID have like one line in the first movie, but it was in "Cybertronian" and had a subtitle.

Nate

Postby SincerelyAnomymous » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:08 pm

Nate (post: 1488690) wrote:The worst part about Bumblebee in the movies was that at the end of the first movie, Bumblebee's voice circuit or whatever actually started working again and he was able to talk, and asked Optimus if he could stay with Sam. Then in the second movie, that whole bit of character development was gone and somehow Bumblebee can't talk anymore! Why can't he talk anymore? Well, because shut up here's Megan Fox stripping.

And Starscream DID have like one line in the first movie, but it was in "Cybertronian" and had a subtitle.

I was pretty upset about Bumblebee not having his voice in the second movie. When I heard his voice, I thought it was so epic. Though I do get some laughs from his voice circuit being broken.
SincerelyAnomymous

Postby Yamamaya » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:42 pm

Nate (post: 1488690) wrote:The worst part about Bumblebee in the movies was that at the end of the first movie, Bumblebee's voice circuit or whatever actually started working again and he was able to talk, and asked Optimus if he could stay with Sam. Then in the second movie, that whole bit of character development was gone and somehow Bumblebee can't talk anymore! Why can't he talk anymore? Well, because shut up here's Megan Fox stripping.

Megan Fox is another massive problem I had with the movie. For one, she's not that attractive. She's just a tan girl covered with makeup. Nothing special at all. Anyone can look good if they wear as much makeup as her. Secondly, she's not that great of an actor, just like every other actor in that freaking film save for the Transformers.

Starscream really got the short end of the stick in the movies.
Yamamaya

Postby Cognitive Gear » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:21 pm

Warning: Rant ahead. I don't mean to be offensive to you if you actually enjoy the movies as mindless entertainment, I just feel that someone needs to say something about this.

The Transformer movie franchise is terrible. To be perfectly honest, it's also pretty offensive, and I have no idea why anyone would want to see them at this point.

Don't get me wrong, they have every right to send whatever message they want to children. Here are some of the things that I think should turn most people off from wanting to support this movie:

1) Women are objects, only good for their looks. In fact, a huge portion of the movie's plot is based on the sexual jealousy between Sam and his rival. The objectification in this movie includes a scene featuring... (spoiled due to being inappropriate.)
[spoiler]implied tentacle rape, and Sam's mother speculating about the size of his you-know-what.[/spoiler]
2) It carries a very racist portrayal of both Arabs and African Americans.
3) Extended Profanity. I have no idea how a movie that uses "S" repeatedly and with at least one use of the "F" word possibly maintains a PG-13 rating. (Actually, I can think of situations in which that would be appropriate, but I don't think Michael Bay is capable of producing those circumstances.)

The MPAA is apparently starting to become entirely useless.

This movie is marketed directly at children, to sell children's toys. Mindless entertainment is fine, but even mindless entertainment sends a message.
Cognitive Gear

Postby TopazRaven » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:49 pm

While I agree if content like that is in said movie then it definitly SHOULD NOT be geared towards children, I really don't think the films are that bad. I actually like them. Seriously. Like more then just mindless entertainment. Though I still haven't seen this newest movie yet. Then again I like the Twilight Saga as well. Like I said, low standards I guess. Think badly of me if you must.
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

TopazRaven

Postby SincerelyAnomymous » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:54 pm

Cognitive Gear (post: 1488718) wrote:Warning: Rant ahead. I don't mean to be offensive to you if you actually enjoy the movies as mindless entertainment, I just feel that someone needs to say something about this.

The Transformer movie franchise is terrible. To be perfectly honest, it's also pretty offensive, and I have no idea why anyone would want to see them at this point.

Don't get me wrong, they have every right to send whatever message they want to children. Here are some of the things that I think should turn most people off from wanting to support this movie:

1) Women are objects, only good for their looks. In fact, a huge portion of the movie's plot is based on the sexual jealousy between Sam and his rival. The objectification in this movie includes a scene featuring... (spoiled due to being inappropriate.)
[spoiler]implied tentacle rape, and Sam's mother speculating about the size of his you-know-what.[/spoiler]
2) It carries a very racist portrayal of both Arabs and African Americans.
3) Extended Profanity. I have no idea how a movie that uses "S" repeatedly and with at least one use of the "F" word possibly maintains a PG-13 rating. (Actually, I can think of situations in which that would be appropriate, but I don't think Michael Bay is capable of producing those circumstances.)

The MPAA is apparently starting to become entirely useless.

This movie is marketed directly at children, to sell children's toys. Mindless entertainment is fine, but even mindless entertainment sends a message.

It's for the same reason why it contains this content I'm not seeing the third film. Now that I read your post, I really feel as if the whole Transformers 2 plot was mindless. Sam and that female only loved each other for looks. Nothing else...
SincerelyAnomymous

Postby Scarecrow » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:36 pm

The transformer movies were never geared for kids though. This has been stated a number of times. The movies were geared toward kids who loved and grew up with them in the 80s... who are in their 20's and 30's now.

It's marketed towards kids yes... but so was Jurassic Park, Batman Returns etc etc... non of which I'd call kid movies. Heck even Starship Troopers was marketed to kids and that was R all the way. Who movies are marketed to is different than who they're geared for.

Not that I agree with any of the content in transformers and stuff but the movies were never geared toward kids.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby Cognitive Gear » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:53 pm

Scarecrow (post: 1488735) wrote:The transformer movies were never geared for kids though. This has been stated a number of times. The movies were geared toward kids who loved and grew up with them in the 80s... who are in their 20's and 30's now.

It's marketed towards kids yes... but so was Jurassic Park, Batman Returns etc etc... non of which I'd call kid movies. Heck even Starship Troopers was marketed to kids and that was R all the way. Who movies are marketed to is different than who they're geared for.

Not that I agree with any of the content in transformers and stuff but the movies were never geared toward kids.

It doesn't matter what age group a movie is geared towards, it matters what age group it's sold to. Cigarettes were never made specifically for kids, but they were still marketed to young kids that couldn't legally purchase them. Surprise, the kids went out and found ways to get them, and became lifelong addicts.

Basically, being geared towards an older audience doesn't excuse the content being in a movie that is based on a child's toy. It is possible to make a movie that appeals both to children and to adults, Pixar does it all the time.

Anyways, even if they weren't marketed to kids, at least two of the issues should be a concern to everyone.

EDIT: Sidenote: The content in Jurassic Park and Batman Returns is no where near the content in Transformers. They deserved their PG-13 rating, but weren't exactly pushing the boundaries.
Cognitive Gear

Postby Nate » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:24 pm

Nate

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:57 pm

Featuring Doctor Whooves and one of the Silence? This is the best thing I have ever seen with the name "Transformers" attached to it. EVER. XDD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Yuki-Anne » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:16 pm

That was AWESOME.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby Psycho Molos » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:10 pm

Scarecrow (post: 1488735) wrote: Heck even Starship Troopers was marketed to kids and that was R all the way.

You mean even that communal shower scene was marketed to kids?? /sarcasm
[color="Cyan"]Oh MOES! It's Czadek peddling the Black Pill for the Merv! Dark Evolution[/color]

Ich hasst Mein lieben.....
Psycho Molos

Postby Nate » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:15 pm

Yeah I'm gonna need some sort of proof that Starship Troopers was marketed to kids, because I don't believe that for one second.

Nate

Postby Bobtheduck » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:45 pm

When I saw the Starship Troopers teaser, I was 14 and I wanted to see it badly. I would have felt the same 4 years prior, too. The Teaser, at least, didn't hint at how R rated it was. Nor did it hint at what a gross violation of the source material it was (Moreso than Transformers? I don't think Michael Bay HATED the transformers cartoons, at least)

Starship Troopers just makes me angry... So, whatever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:48 pm

Okay so i saw the 3rd movie and liked it, i have to say, that Transformers isn't marketed towards kids, i understand the arguement but no. So it has toys made after it, so does friday the 13th, and i think they are way more toward teens and not kids.
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:30 pm

The third movie had more of the same problems as the other two, except with less stupid humor.

Pros:
- Spectacle.
- Easier to follow the action scenes.
- No Megan Fox.
- Interesting concept about there being a secret on the moon and that's why nobody's been back since the 70s.

Cons:
- Poor execution in general.
- TOO MANY HUMANS, NOT ENOUGH ROBOTS
- None of the characters act like themselves; Optimus Prime runs around saying crap like "I'LL KILL THEM ALL" and Bumblebee still "talks" like an idiot. Did these people even watch Transformers?
- Too long! A summer action movie shouldn't need to be nearly 3 hours long.
- No final battle on the moon. Instead, Chicago. Like we've never seen an urban battle scene before. Yawn.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Nate » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:33 pm

From what I hear, the reason why it's easier to follow the action scenes is due in part to the lack of shaky cam. Apparently 3D does not like shaky cam, hence to make it 3D shaky cam had to be omitted.

I hear Bay was actually really upset about it.

Nate

Postby TopazRaven » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:38 pm

I went and saw the movie as well and you guys can think I'm crazy and stupid or whatever, but me and my mom loved it. :sweat: Though I do agree there isn't enough about the autobots. I love Bumble Bee and Optimus Prime, but I would have liked to see more of the other robots to. Dino/Mirage and Sideswipe both seemed pretty awesome and they barley have any speaking roles.

TopazRaven

Next

Return to General Entertainment