Time: The 25 All-TIME Best Animated Films

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby Sheenar » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:40 am

ShiroiHikari (post: 1487138) wrote:I still haven't seen Secret of NIMH >_<

Also if I was going to pick a Don Bluth film for a top 25 list, I think I'd probably pick The Land Before Time, or An American Tail.

All of those are favorites of mine. Also, All Dogs Go to Heaven, though it does have plot holes and is weird in places --still a great one.

As for Disney movies, I agree that Beauty and the Beast is much better than The Little Mermaid. I also love the Robin Hood animated movie they made.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Atria35 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:13 am

Sheenar (post: 1487153) wrote:All of those are favorites of mine. Also, All Dogs Go to Heaven, though it does have plot holes and is weird in places --still a great one.

I can't put that on my favorites, simply because they show that there's a doggy hell in that movie, and that's a very, very sad thought.

Secret of Nimh, though.... It's been forever, and I need to rewatch it, but I loved that movie when I was a kid.
Atria35

Postby Yamamaya » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:24 pm

First of all, End of Evangelion is not on this list. I didn't expect it to be on here, but it still saddens me.

I haven't seen all these movies, but naturally I have a few complaints.

Number 1, Mr. Fox should be closer to the top. That movie was just downright amazing. But no, Kung Fu Panda gets a higher position than it.:bang:

Secondly, if Akira is on this list, Ghost in the Shell should be on it as well.

Thirdly, Beauty and the Beast is not on this list. That is absolute blasphemy.

I do agree with South Park being on the list. It's absolutely fantastic. Not to mention unbiased.
Yamamaya

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:37 pm

South Park serves up intelligent, scathing satire with a heaping dose of fart jokes to make it go down smoother for the, um...less intellectual. Offensive? Sometimes, yes. But on South Park, nothing and no one is sacred, and that's what I appreciate about it.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Yamamaya » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:53 pm

Tarnish (post: 1487136) wrote:Waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait.

Why is Persepolis not on here.

I mean, it's pretentious and foreign and whatnot, but Belleville made it on. Heck, Akira made it on.

I wash my hands of this list.

I forgot about Persepolis. It was fantastic.

Plus, Persepolis helps shine light on the average people living in Islamist countries.
Yamamaya

Postby shooraijin » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:07 pm

And having made that point, that's all we're going to say on that subject, yes?
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby rocklobster » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:59 pm

Considering who runs Time magazine, it really shouldn't be surprising that Happy Feet made the list. Those people practically worship Al Gore and his pals.:eyeroll:
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby shooraijin » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:51 pm

Dude, wherefore the politics in this thread all of a sudden? Stop it. Get back to pictures being displayed on screen very very fast.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:56 pm

There are definitely a few movies that need to be on there. The Illusionist is one of them.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby bakura91 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:42 pm

I Definitly agree with Toy Story, Thats one of my favorites I still havent seen 3 yet I dont think any of them could beat the first one in my mind. Definitley Love Akira too, I dont know why there are movies on a top 25 list so recent as a few years back though. I mean Snow Whites a classic and it was made in the 30s, Tell me do you think Anyone will remember Tangled or Wall-E seventy years from now!? lol
bakura91

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:00 pm

I think Wall-E is well done enough to deserve a spot on the list.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Cognitive Gear » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:46 pm

mechana2015 (post: 1489613) wrote:I think Wall-E is well done enough to deserve a spot on the list.

Yeah, Wall-E had a 45 minute silent films snuck in at the beginning. It will be remembered if only for the historic significance of such a thing actually selling to us. There are a good number of newer movies on this list that seem like the sort to be forgotten as time goes on, but Wall-E is not one of them.
Cognitive Gear

Postby SincerelyAnomymous » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:12 pm

How did Kung fu Panda get in there?
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”-Oscar Wilde

“Books change us. Books save us. I know this because it happened to me.”Elif Shafak

"Don't stop unbelieving, never give into your unfeelings"-Mabel Pines, Gravity Falls
SincerelyAnomymous

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:16 pm

25. Lady and the Tramp (1955)
A very good movie

24. Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009)
Haven't seen it but I want too

23. Yellow Submarine (1968)
Haven't seen it but I've heard the movie's rather trippy

22. Dr. Seuss' Horton Hears a Who! (2008)
Haven't seen it

21. Kung Fu Panda (2008)
Fun kung-fu movie

20. Paprika (2007)
A very good, odd, thought-provoking novel

19. Tangled (2010)
A lot of fun but not amazing

18. The Lion King (1994)
My favourite Disney movie

17. Akira (1988)
Great animation but the story was a confusing mess (just too much to tell the epic manga story in a 2 hour movie)

16. Happy Feet (2006)
Some fun dance numbers but a pretty average movie

15. Wallace & Gromit in the Curse of the Were-Rabbit (2005)
A very fun movie but I prefer the short films

14. The Adventures of Prince Achmed (1926)
Haven't seen this one

13. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937)
A good movie but not great

12. Toy Story (1995)
The original but not the best

11. Toy Story 3 (2010)
An excellent addition to the series - so beautiful!

10. The Little Mermaid (1989)
One of Disney's best

9. Finding Nemo (2003)
Excellent fun

8. The Triplets of Belleville (2003)
Very well-done but I didn't enjoy it per-se

7. Up (2009)
Excellent first 15-20mins but the rest was only decent fun

6. South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (1999)
Haven't seen it and don't want too

5. Spirited Away (2001)
Excellent movie - I think there should be more Studio Ghibli movies listed here

4. Dumbo (1941)
Good movie

3. The Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Movie (1979)
I don't remember it being anything THAT special

2. WALL-E (2008)
Excellent movie

1. Pinocchio (1940)
Very good but I certainly wouldn't put it first
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Edward » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:39 am

I haven't seen most of these films, but many of the newer ones really don't deserve their place. And I agree with Yamamaya that Ghost in the Shell really needs to be on this list. Also Persepolis. I have only read the graphic novel, but I'm sure the film is at least as good.
[thread=43825]MOES[/thread] One sig to rule them all. One sig to find them. One sig to bring them all, and in 250 px or less bind them. In the land of Mordor, where the sigs do not scroll.

Real men don't sparkle, real men defeat dark wizards.

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

chatbot 07:24 - Edward asks, do you ever give relevant answers chatty?
My answer: No
Edward

Postby bigsleepj » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:56 am

Edward (post: 1489692) wrote:Also Persepolis. I have only read the graphic novel, but I'm sure the film is at least as good.

I haven't read the book but the movie, although pretty good, is greatly condensed from the book. Thats what I got.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby mechana2015 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:31 pm

I think some people aren't accounting for things like technical advancement and industry impact in this thread.

Kung Fu Panda set Dreamworks apart as a company that made seriously good animated movies in a way that no movie they'd done before it had, and was a technical and visual showstopper as well. I'm pretty sure HTTYD had it's way paved by Kung Fu Panda proving that a serious story driven movie that wasn't made of pop culture reference jokes could do well for them.

The ones i don't really get are Happy Feet, and even more than that Horton Hears a Who. Neither of these were a big deal really and had no staying power or technical flair that I noticed. Beauty and the Beast should get in soley for it's use of 3D over both of those.

All in all I think they mistitled the LIST. It should probably be most impactful or important or something like that, rather than best, since they could have had more reason behind their decisions.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby shooraijin » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:05 pm

But, for KFP, is that truly an animation landmark or just that they learned to write a good script? Sure, Pixar movies have great scripts, but they always push the technological envelope with each release.

shooraijin

Postby mechana2015 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:11 pm

That's true as well. It probably had more impact for Dreamworks as a company than anyone else. It would be interesting to see what their criteria was for this list in the first place. Best is pretty arbitrary.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby TWWK » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:01 am

Just a note - I was appalled at first by Kung Fu Panda making the top 25. But I've been watching it over and over and over again the last week with my kids, and every time I watch it, I like it more. There are a couple of notable flaws (almost anything involving the Furious Five, for instance), but it's a better movie than I originally gave it credit for. As for enjoyability - it's a really fun film. :)
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
~ "Economy of Mercy," Switchfoot
TWWK

Previous

Return to General Entertainment