Movies everyone else loves and you hate

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:43 pm

rocklobster (post: 1486732) wrote:For me, it's Akira. I've enjoyed all the other Otomo movies, but I can't really say the same forAkira.

Even Steamboy? That movie could put me to sleep.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:14 pm

Finally something rocklobster and I can agree on. Akira is possibly one of the most overrated things in the history of time.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:34 pm

Cognitive Gear (post: 1486723) wrote:Image

All of the sudden, this thread became my favorite. XDD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Yamamaya » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:47 pm

Shao Feng-Li (post: 1486757) wrote:Even Steamboy? That movie could put me to sleep.

Oh yeah, Steamboy was terrible.

I kept on waiting for something truly epic to happen, but no just a giant steam castle.
Yamamaya

Postby Yuki-Anne » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:46 pm

Oh. Right. I just remembered...

THE SOCIAL NETWORK. Andrew Garfield aside, I did not think this movie warranted all the accolades it has received. Granted, I did watch it on a trans-Pacific flight, so my opinion may be colored by the irritation and exhaustion of that experience. Maybe I'd like it better on a second viewing. Who knows? All I know is, it did not upon a first viewing strike me as the magnificent cinematic work that everyone seems to think it is.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:13 pm

I thought it sounded stupid so I never watched it. I'm going to see it at some point, though, just to see what the heck everyone was talking about.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:38 pm

Yuki-Anne (post: 1486788) wrote:Oh. Right. I just remembered...

THE SOCIAL NETWORK. Andrew Garfield aside, I did not think this movie warranted all the accolades it has received. Granted, I did watch it on a trans-Pacific flight, so my opinion may be colored by the irritation and exhaustion of that experience. Maybe I'd like it better on a second viewing. Who knows? All I know is, it did not upon a first viewing strike me as the magnificent cinematic work that everyone seems to think it is.

It's probably not a film for an exhausting airplane flight. XD It's a really well-made film with excellent themes, dialogue, and acting, but it takes a bit to keep up with the fast pace of the dialogue, and it's something you have to watch intentionally, not just have on for entertainment. I really liked it though. XD Having seen it twice now, I enjoyed it just as much, if not more, the second time, simply because I caught more lines and noticed more things than I did when I saw it the first time in theaters.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby ADXC » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:43 pm

Yeah, I liked it too. I found the movie be a semi-good documentary of how Facebook came to be. That's how I view it.

Here's "How The Social Network Should Have Ended."
ADXC

Postby shooraijin » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:42 am

The soundtrack was good. I'll get around to the actual movie sooner or later.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Warrior4Christ » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:34 am

Jerry Maguire - I consider myself less inclined to get bored with movies, and usually find something positive to dwell on, but... I watched it when I was in my mid-teens, and it's definitely among my most boring movies ever watched (the girls nearby were conveying how awesome it was supposed to be - though the best part was the "the human brain weighs 8 pounds" boy). It may have been because I was in my mid-teens, but I'm hesitant to give it a second go... I'd probably rather watch Twilight....

Cognitive Gear (post: 1486048) wrote:Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill. I just don't "get" Tarantino, I guess. His movies usually have one scene that is really great, surrounded by a bunch of things that fail to interest me. I honestly haven't taken the time to figure out why, but perhaps I should.

Ditto for Pulp Fiction.

Yuki-Anne (post: 1486788) wrote:THE SOCIAL NETWORK. Andrew Garfield aside, I did not think this movie warranted all the accolades it has received. Granted, I did watch it on a trans-Pacific flight, so my opinion may be colored by the irritation and exhaustion of that experience. Maybe I'd like it better on a second viewing. Who knows? All I know is, it did not upon a first viewing strike me as the magnificent cinematic work that everyone seems to think it is.

Haha, I watched it on a trans-Pacific flight two weeks ago too! I didn't think it was that bad of a film, and unconsciously gave it a bit of slack, because it was seen on a flight, and there were parts of dialogue that I just couldn't hear and so on... I thought it was quite interesting.

Princess Bride was a bit underwhelming, but I appreciated knowing what everyone was quoting all this time...
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:51 am

Wouldn't The Social Network been more appropriate as like, an hour long TV documentary thing? Facebook isn't so big a deal to me that I want to watch an actual movie about it...

Oh yeah, Steamboy was terrible.

I kept on waiting for something truly epic to happen, but no just a giant steam castle.

And didn't Otomo put ten years of his life making this movie? And it's too bad... even the wonderful animation couldn't make it exciting.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:36 am

Maybe I'm weird or something but I kind of liked Steamboy >.>
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Atria35 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:52 am

Steamboy was terrible. An immense amount of plotholes, unlikeable characters, and a really stupid climax. It couldn't even edge into 'So bad it's good' territory.
Atria35

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:25 am

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1486863) wrote:Maybe I'm weird or something but I kind of liked Steamboy >.>

There were likable things about it, I think. The animation, production values, I remember the English voice acting being really good, but the story... Neat idea, poorly executed.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Scarecrow » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:28 pm

Shao Feng-Li (post: 1486856) wrote:Wouldn't The Social Network been more appropriate as like, an hour long TV documentary thing? Facebook isn't so big a deal to me that I want to watch an actual movie about it...

I wouldn't call it a movie about Facebook. That would be like calling J.F.K. a movie about J.F.K. Or Titanic a movie about the Titanic. I mean, yeah facebook is in there but the movie is mostly fictitious aside from major events and characters. And likewise, I'm sure this was waaaaay more interesting than any documentary would ever be.

I don't even have a facebook or plan on ever getting one, have no interest in the site at all, but yeah, I loved the movie :D Great dialog and scenes like this. And it's so quotable ^_^ My favorite line was that "SORRY, I left my Prada at the dry cleaners...." line.

Ok movies I hate everyone loves. Well Pulp Fiction. And Reservoir Dogs. Didn't like either. I did love Kill Bill and Inglourious Basterds though. Akira as has been said already.

OH! and any think by that guy who did stuff like Ponyo and Princess Mononoke and all those movies. I've watched just about all of his stuff (his name escapes me at the moment...) but he is the most overrated director with the most overrated movies. I don't understand the appeal but anyway.

2001: A Space Odyssey... don't know if it's really universally loved or just gets heaps of praise by the same few movie snobs but yeah. Can't stand this movie.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby Tarnish » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:54 pm

The rampant Tarantino hate makes me feel sad and alone.

Also seconding 2001. Not that it's bad, really. It makes great background noise, it's beautiful to look at, and it's well written. But anyone who says it isn't boring as all get out is a liar.
Tarnish

Postby Yuki-Anne » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:15 pm

Tarnish (post: 1487043) wrote:Also seconding 2001. Not that it's bad, really. It makes great background noise, it's beautiful to look at, and it's well written. But anyone who says it isn't boring as all get out is a liar.

Ditto.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby Yamamaya » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:17 pm

Inception. Yeah it was a good movie, but I don't get where people get off on saying it was the best movie of all time. I liked the Box better.

The Box is an excellent thought provoking movie yet everyone hated it. :(
Yamamaya

Postby Ante Bellum » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:27 pm

From what I can tell, 2001 is a well-loved movie. I own it...except I never even took the plastic wrap off it. On the other hand, I was really excited to watch Dr. Strangelove. I have a feeling that, even if I like 2001, I won't like it as much as Strangelove.

I also have to agree with Howl's Moving Castle. I haven't even read the book and I just didn't like it. Plus, my favorite characters either didn't get enough screen time, or they were ruined (I'm talking about Turnip Head...).

As for Akira...It's hard to explain how I feel about it besides my feelings for the animation (Which mostly consist of love and awe.). I think it deserves a little of the praise it has received, but not all of it. There were so many things that could have been done better. Besides the animation. I don't have a problem why?

I can't really say much for other movies, considering I don't watch many. Comedy movies are a big one. A few months ago I was at my relatives' house and while flipping through channels, one stopped at Growns Ups. I sat down to watch a little because hey I was bored, and I couldn't get through much. Not that I think it's well-liked (correct me if I'm wrong), but that little part had a similar effect on me as many commercials and comedy movies have had: "This isn't funny. This is stupid. It's not even so stupid it's funny. It's just stupid."

Maybe when I'm on a computer I'll look back and see if anyone reminded me of a movie I didn't like.
Ante Bellum

Postby Nate » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:32 pm

I think Akira is a bad movie, but the thing is that groundbreaking and culturally significant movies are not necessarily "good." Thus, I think Akira is an important film, even if it is total trash IMO, because it was culturally significant for the US at least.

EDIT: I got confused on which thread I was posting in.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby shooraijin » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:40 pm

Also seconding 2001. Not that it's bad, really. It makes great background noise, it's beautiful to look at, and it's well written. But anyone who says it isn't boring as all get out is a liar.

Not even. About the only things I'd change about it is to reduce the length of the ape segment and the slitscan trip through the monolith. But otherwise I thought the pacing was excellent. It is not a movie that moves fast; things in space likewise do not move fast.

Actually, I'm pretty much a Kubrick nerd in general. The Shining is the only horror movie I really, really liked, 2001 I mentioned, who doesn't like Dr Strangelove, and even though its content is really extreme and I don't recommend it to many viewers, A Clockwork Orange is a really good adaptation even though Anthony Burgess was unhappy with it.

And then there's Barry Lyndon. Oh, the lighting. Oh, the lenses. Rapture.

About the only one of his films I thought faltered somewhat was Eyes Wide Shut, and that was mostly because it seemed a little oversexed, like he was trying to make more out of Cruise/Kidman than he ought to have. That's another one I have to insert a content warning about, btw.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Tarnish » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:31 pm

I didn't say anything about the pacing. The slow pace of the film is part of what gives it a unique atmosphere, and I certainly wouldn't have it any other way.

But it's still boring. I'm glad I watched it once, and I think it's a very important movie, but if I had to watch it again I'd probably try to gnaw my arm off.
Tarnish

Postby Atria35 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:57 am

Scarecrow (post: 1486907) wrote:OH! and any think by that guy who did stuff like Ponyo and Princess Mononoke and all those movies. I've watched just about all of his stuff (his name escapes me at the moment...) but he is the most overrated director with the most overrated movies. I don't understand the appeal but anyway.

You mean Miyazaki? Someone hasn't seen Grave of the Fireflies, then. Some of his movies are overrated, I think, but not all of them.
Atria35

Postby shooraijin » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:18 am

Tarnish (post: 1487100) wrote:I didn't say anything about the pacing. The slow pace of the film is part of what gives it a unique atmosphere, and I certainly wouldn't have it any other way.

But it's still boring. I'm glad I watched it once, and I think it's a very important movie, but if I had to watch it again I'd probably try to gnaw my arm off.

Okay, let me prod you then :P if it wasn't the pacing and it wasn't the atmosphere, what about it made it boring?

shooraijin

Postby Tarnish » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:53 am

The pace does make it boring, but I realize at the same time that the movie wouldn't be half of what it is without it.

....(Because the movie would be six minutes long.)
Tarnish

Postby Fish and Chips » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:15 am

There are two kinds of people in this world:
1. People who think V for Vendetta was a good movie.
2. People who understood V for Vendetta.

I belong with the other guys.
Fish and Chips

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:04 am

It's not the best movie ever but I liked it for what it was.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Yamamaya » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:10 am

Fish and Chips (post: 1487145) wrote:There are two kinds of people in this world:
1. People who think V for Vendetta was a good movie.
2. People who understood V for Vendetta.

I belong with the other guys.

You need to add some qualifiers to this. By understanding V for Vendetta, are you talking about the graphic novel or the movie? I'm assuming you mean the graphic novel.

I'm more of the opinion that the film and the graphic novel have to be viewed as separate works.
Yamamaya

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:22 am

No tarentino love :( I loves me some Pulp Fiction and Resevour Dogs was good.

I also enjoyed Social Network

Miyazaki films are my throw in for the catagory, they are good just not the masterpieces everyone says they are.
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Cognitive Gear » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:28 am

Yamamaya (post: 1487177) wrote:You need to add some qualifiers to this. By understanding V for Vendetta, are you talking about the graphic novel or the movie? I'm assuming you mean the graphic novel.

I'm more of the opinion that the film and the graphic novel have to be viewed as separate works.

Understanding the graphic novel will lead to an appreciation for it. An understanding of the film will lead to distaste.

Honestly, the film is entertaining, but is a wreck when you analyze it to any depth. I do find that it makes an amazing political Rorschach test when shown to people who won't take the time to analyze it's story. :lol:

GrubbTheFragger wrote:No tarentino love I loves me some Pulp Fiction and Resevour Dogs was good.

It's okay. This is just about the only place you will find such a thing.

The 2001 hate makes me sad, though. My eyes were glued to the screen the entire time. I must have seen it 10 times by now.
Cognitive Gear

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment