Movies everyone else loves and you hate

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:40 pm

Yamamaya (post: 1486248) wrote:Facing The Giants.
Horrible acting, predictable plot, and overall horrendous job. I didn't care about any of the characters. The Christian aspect of it felt awkward and forced.
Oh yeah I hated this movie and I'm tired of people telling me how great it was.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:33 pm

I also didn't see what was so great about The Princess Bride. I liked it, but it didn't blow my mind. Maybe that's more forgivable since I'm from a different generation, though.

And I didn't find Moulin Rouge to be fantastic, either. I liked "Come What May" but other than that I really didn't know what to make of the movie. That's probably just me being weird, though.

Avatar was meh, and kinda pretty I guess, but the story didn't appeal. I don't don't want to watch it again.

Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief was a horrible, horrible adaption. Seriously. They removed one character (and merged her with another, making the other girl somewhat out-of-character), the series' overarching plotline, and one of my favorite scenes. And to top it off, one of the book's twists, which was saved for more than a hundred pages, was given away at the beginning of every movie trailer. It irked the heck out of me when I went to read the books (which are, of course, way better than the movie).
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:39 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1486245) wrote:I didn't like Howl's Moving Castle either. I think it's a terrible movie, and I say that with all seriousness. It's like the guys who wrote the screenplay only read half the book. Anyone who liked it needs to read the book. It's way better than the stupid movie.

I agree with this, and actually feel this way about a lot (though not all) of Miyazaki's movies. XD This one suffered especially from the extremely slow middle act. I don't even really remember what the movie was about now, but I might look into reading the book if it's that much better, like you say it is. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Nanao » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:43 pm

Twilight - I can't even begin to say. Part of this might be principle though. I found the books just as horrid.
Pirates of the Caribbean II & III - They were just too far fetched, and they tried too hard to be funny.
Titanic - Just didn't float my boat : P
[color="RoyalBlue"]My help comes from the Lord, maker of heaven and earth.[/color] Psalm 121:2
[color="Pink"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color] Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
Nanao

Postby ADXC » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:25 pm

Here's Titanic in 5 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuSdU8tbcHY
ADXC

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:29 pm

FllMtl Novelist (post: 1486308) wrote:
Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief

I don't know anything about the book but dang, did that movie ever suck!

Also yeah, Twilight is...such an obvious choice that I forgot to mention it until now.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:46 pm

bigsleepj (post: 1486242) wrote:Hmmm. Them's fighting words. I assume then that plot, character, dialogue, milieu and theme means very little to you and you just watch movies and TV for all the bright colours?

Eh, there are a few b+w movies I like, but I do prefer color. (We also got interrupted by a creepy prank call, so the evening was kinda ruined- I might give Kane another try)

Heh, I'm kinda surprise Twilight hasn't been mentioned more in this thread... I guess it's just assumed? XD
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Okami » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:24 am

Shao Feng-Li (post: 1486370) wrote:Heh, I'm kinda surprise Twilight hasn't been mentioned more in this thread... I guess it's just assumed? XD

It's definitely an assumed for me...although I'm a bit biased as I've never seen the movies and am only going off from what fans of them tell me. XD
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:20 am

ShiroiHikari (post: 1486322) wrote:I don't know anything about the book but dang, did that movie ever suck!
That was a pretty terrible movie, and I was called a hater when I said I didn't like it, but everything about that movie was so painfully bland.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:05 am

Okami (post: 1486391) wrote:It's definitely an assumed for me...although I'm a bit biased as I've never seen the movies and am only going off from what fans of them tell me. XD

I have the first one sitting on my hard drive. I keep trying to watch it. It feels like a cheap teen drama movie made for TV XD

Is it me, or are there like, over 9000 different vampire themed tv shows and book series out now since Twilight was vomited into existence? At least, they have a darkish-contrived-hot-topiccy-gothy-emo look about them.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Nate » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:27 am

Batman Returns.

I love the first Batman movie. So much so that I rank it as a better film than The Dark Knight. So it's nothing against Tim Burton exactly (though I find him mostly overrated outside of a couple of films), and it's nothing against Keaton either (who was a fantastic Batman, even better than Christian Bale as far as I'm concerned).

It's the villains. The Penguin was so much more interesting as a fine gentleman who was also a criminal. The whole Tarzan-esque "but with PENGUINS!" background was just ludicrous, and really did nothing for the character. It was like an entirely different character altogether. I'm not against changing things in stories depending on the medium, but the Penguin's change was definitely for the worst.

Same with Catwoman. Turning her from a tough and independent cat burglar into an oversexed S&M club attendee was just insulting to Catwoman's character. Even the Halle Berry movie, as awful as it was, portrayed Catwoman much more positively than Batman Returns did. And that's saying a lot.

Yet, somehow everyone seems to love this movie. I'll admit that it's better than Batman and Robin at least, but that's not saying much. Heck I think Batman Forever is a better movie than Batman Returns is. Sure Batman Forever was an incredibly STUPID movie, but at least it was fun! I just don't get why people like Batman Returns. Is it out of some misguided notion that Tim Burton can do no wrong? Is it one of those things where GRIMDARK = GOOD? I don't understand.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby musicaloddball » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:51 am

I didn't like Avatar that much. I mean, the graphics were cool, but the blue aliens were very...err, alienating, and I kept thinking, "In a past life, this movie was named Pocahontas."

I don't like POTC much, but that's probably my fault for first watching it at some weird hour of the night when my brain was dead. Then, I got so confused, and never tried watching it again. XD
musicaloddball

Postby Cognitive Gear » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:03 am

Honestly, I don't think that Twilight fits the bill for this thread. It probably has as many people hating it as it does loving it. Same goes for Avatar and the second and third Pirates movies.

Anyways, I agree with Nate about Batman Returns. It's just grimdark silly, and almost as far removed from Batman as The Dark Knight is.
Cognitive Gear

Postby musicaloddball » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:10 am

Avatar was generally liked by critics, and is the highest grossing film of all time. And I was talking about the first POTC movie. But whatever. :P
musicaloddball

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:50 am

Oh, hey, we're talking about Burton's Batman.

Well. I think it sucks.

There, I said it.

Seriously, everybody loves that movie except me. I fell asleep the first three times I tried to watch it, and it really feels like they just sort of started making !@#$ up while filming the latter half of the movie, like maybe they didn't have time to finish the script or lost the last few pages of it or something. I thought parts of it were decent (mostly just the scenes with Jack Nicholson) but I thought Michael Keaton was a pretty weak Batman/Bruce Wayne. The movie just...didn't work for me. Sorry.

Haven't seen Batman Returns and I don't wanna. Sounds like a waste of time.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Nate » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:35 pm

ShiroiHikari wrote:I thought Michael Keaton was a pretty weak Batman/Bruce Wayne.

And that's why Keaton was the best Batman.

It's as the Nostalgia Critic said. Look at the Christian Bale Bruce Wayne. If you didn't know he was Batman and someone told you "Hey, that guy is actually Batman," you'd look at him and go "Yeah, you know, I always thought something was weird about that guy. That makes total sense."

If someone told you the Michael Keaton Bruce Wayne was Batman? You'd go "What, THAT guy? No way, he's so unassuming and boring. No way is that guy Batman."

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby TWWK » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:41 pm

Nate (post: 1486426) wrote:Batman Returns.

Yup.

...and it's nothing against Keaton either (who was a fantastic Batman, even better than Christian Bale as far as I'm concerned).

Yup.
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
~ "Economy of Mercy," Switchfoot
TWWK

Postby shooraijin » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:46 pm

I, too, agree that Batman Returns was a poor sequel. But I adored the first Burton Batman, despite them playing fast and loose with the mythos (Joe Chill shot first).

No one realizes it doesn't matter who plays Batman in the mask; it matters who plays Bruce Wayne. And Nate is exactly right: Keaton was the perfect man for the role. Burton chose wisely.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Xeno » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:15 pm

Shrek - It was good the first couple of times I watched it, after that I became incredibly bored with it.
Avatar - it's already been mentioned by several people.
Twilight - Terrible movies based on terrible books by a soccer mom who can't write. Also that Kristen Stewart chick beat Emma Stone for best actress when compared to Easy A?????????????
X-Men 3 - At the end of it I felt like Hideaki Anno had directed it and totally trolled me...but I didn't laugh.
The Princess Bride - Seriously?
Pretty Woman - Meh.
Thor - I didn't care for the pacing of it at all. It didn't feel natural in any way.
Any of the "(Insert Descriptor Here) Movie"s
And lastly, this isn't a movie but I don't care, Glee.
Xeno

Postby Mouse2010 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:50 pm

Radical Dreamer (post: 1486310) wrote: I don't even really remember what the movie was about now, but I might look into reading the book if it's that much better, like you say it is. XD

The book was much much better. I really couldn't stand the movie, because it changed so much, and not (in my opinion) for the better. I get that some changes were necessary to simplify the book, because Diana Wynne Jones gloried in complicated plots, but really? Howl deserved better treatment.
Mouse2010

Postby shooraijin » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:31 pm

I saw the best minds of my generation ... wait, wrong Howl.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Tarnish » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:04 am

The Fifth Element is a terrible movie and anyone who says otherwise is wrong.
Tarnish

Postby Jingo Jaden » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:00 am

Of recent memory I'd mention Rango. Loved the character designs, hated their roles and contents.

Also, I never thought I would see a suicidal walk past the road in a kids movie. Am I the only one who reacted to that? XD;
Of two evils, choose neither - Charles Spurgeon.

Jingo Jaden

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:23 am

Tarnish (post: 1486569) wrote:The Fifth Element is a terrible movie and anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

*bzzzzzzzzt* I'm sorry but that is incorrect. The Fifth Element is, in fact, a pretty good movie.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Scarecrow » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:02 pm

I thought Batman Returns was pretty much universally disliked. Even today Batman Returns doesn't rank very high when listing Batman films. It's always been number one for me and I could probably quote the whole movie but no one ever seems to agree with me :P

I agree about the 5th Element. Hated that movie. Still don't see why everyone likes it.

As well as most comic book movies aside from X-Men and X2. Spiderman and everything else, no. I do not even watch super hero movies anymore because they're all the same. Except for Batman. I was interested in Green Lantern cause it looked different than the usual superhero flick but then I heard it sucked so... yeah, I hate most superhero films.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby Yuki-Anne » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:33 pm

Oh, right. Avatar. Forgot about that one. Utterly predictable. And I didn't watch it in 3D, so I didn't even find the visuals that impressive.

Don't like The 5th Element.

Is it sad to say that I actually really enjoy the Twilight movies? Pretty much on the same level that I enjoy Korean pop star Rain's music videos. They're one of the few things that I derive purely ironic entertainment from. I'm looking forward to watching Breaking Dawn. It's going to be HILARIOUS.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby Ally-Ann » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:41 pm

Like I said in a similar thread, I can't stand Highschool Musical. And I have mixed feeling's about Avatar. Great fantasy, nice graphics, o.k. acting, but man, it was like watching Pocahontas for three hours. (- -) That's why I mostly hate it. The stinkin' Ehwa or whatever the godess's name was. Blech. I don't know, maybe I'm weird, but that movie was weirder. The sappy romance didn't help, either.
[color="Lime"]My Fictionpress account[/color]! http://www.fictionpress.com/u/740837/Ally-Ann

[color="Yellow"]My Fanfiction account[/color]! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2401061/ArmyAngel316

My nicknames! [color="Pink"]~*[/color][color="palegreen"]Ally[/color][color="pink"]*~[/color] [color="white"](>[/color][color="Cyan"]Mochi-chan[/color][color="White"]<)[/color]

I like mochi. ^^

I question my [color="DarkOrchid"]sanity[/color]. (._.)

Operation: Blackout
Ally-Ann

Postby Cognitive Gear » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:07 pm

Yuki-Anne (post: 1486709) wrote:Is it sad to say that I actually really enjoy the Twilight movies? Pretty much on the same level that I enjoy Korean pop star Rain's music videos. They're one of the few things that I derive purely ironic entertainment from. I'm looking forward to watching Breaking Dawn. It's going to be HILARIOUS.

Cognitive Gear

Postby Yuki-Anne » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:22 pm

Cognitive Gear (post: 1486723) wrote:Image

Precisely.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby rocklobster » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:52 pm

For me, it's Akira. I've enjoyed all the other Otomo movies, but I can't really say the same forAkira.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment